PES 2009 General Discussion Etc. (STRICTLY NO FIFA TALK OR POLITICAL CHAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PES 2009 News, Discussion and Rumours

I have recently been playing a lot of PES5 and 6 with mates, and it has that certain flair and "magic" to it that FIFA, nor any other football game has ever had - It's hard to explain, but all of us (former) PES fans experienced it, and that's what we loved about the game so much..

I always thought of it as the magic moments.

Scoring the wonder goal against your mate 3 minutes into injury time or trying out something odd for the sake of it and it paying dividends.

I've had countless PES nights with mates where stuff like this has entered local folklore. Me coming back from 3:0 down with 10 men to score 4 long range Zico goals in the last 10 mins was the best moment of my life.

As long as Pro Evo has the ability to produce these sort of moments then I'll love the shit out of it as it's a high that I can't get from anywhere else. I bet that even most of you can remember some of your classic goals for years past, like your first overhead kick or a perfectly timed lob or even when you first scored with your keeper.

Last edited:

Oh and also Paulo that was a great post!

The best way to remember your favourite PES moments is to put them in a compilation. I've done that with every PES so far ranging back to 3. Brings back good memories when i watch them

I always thought of it as the magic moments.

Scoring the wonder goal against your mate 3 minutes into injury time or trying out something odd for the sake of it and it paying dividends.

I've had countless PES nights with mates where stuff like this has entered local folklore. Me coming back from 3:0 down with 10 men to score 4 long range Zico goals in the last 10 mins was the best moment of my life.

As long as Pro Evo has the ability to produce these sort of moments then I'll love the shit out of it as it's a high that I can't get from anywhere else. I bet that even most of you can remember some of your classic goals for years past, like your first overhead kick or a perfectly timed lob or even when you first scored with your keeper.
Yeah, that's what made it awesome - there were such memorable moments, some of which I still remember now.
About trying something odd and it working, that quality makes it so unpredictable - I once did the flick up (analog stick down then up), it switched to another player who belted it in on the volley, I have never been able to do it again and it looked brilliant. You also felt in PES that you could score from anywhere with a well timed shot, so you would just have a dig from distance as you knew you always had a chance - in PES 08 (and 6 to a degree) and all FIFA games there are the "sweet spots" where you know you will score most of the time if you shoot from there, and the spots where you know you will always miss/keeper will save.

Well, PES5 must have been special if someone like me still enjoys playing it after 3 years, when games normally last me less than few months.

Exactly. I played Winning Eleven 8: Liveware Evolution and PES 5 long after they first came out.

I played that Liveware edition for ages as well, now that was probably my favourite game to date. If 2009 can replicate that experience on the PS3 then it should be a sight to behold.

Having had another few looks at the trailer, i notice no concrete blocks holding down the nets.Also if the close up shots of messi's skill moves are in game, then that is truly stunning.

Im pretty sure there are still like those blocks holding the net down, you can see them near the end and definately at the start where it begins to pan out like the first part of the game, after the logo crap, you can see them at the closest goal :( Sadly...

But it all being in game, seems strange it starts of day time then is suddenly night etc. Meh.

I've always loved the amount of variation you can get in the process of scoring goals. Flick ups, chipped passes, headed passes, skills, mis-haps between opposition defenders, whatever!

Now I have a net fettish yet I have never noticed these blocks holding down the nets.

From someone overly obsessed with the nets I'm more concerned with them getting the actual net physics (ultra dork mode woop) right.

Also I have a TREMENDOUS hard on for shots that hit the crossbar/post. I've long since said that my goal is for physics that allow the ball to hit the underside of the bar, bounce over the line and then bounce back out again.

Of course this would then lead to dodgy on the line decisions. But alas, I don't genuinely expect such advances for years to come.

Yes Winning Eleven 8: Liveware Evolution was truly a great game. Perhaps the best in the series so far. And while I understand your sentiments Badgerman I do disagree with them. PES/WE was a brilliant game and the experiences we had with the series was wonderful, but unlike you I dont want a PS3 'version' so to speak.

I want a completley new game. One that is truly next gen but contains the magic of old. I want to be able to exprience new things and go wow thats great and its only possible because of the new hardware. Sadly I have not had the pleasure of seeing that. FIFA 09 may come close, perhaps even achieve it but im hoping that either PES 2009 or even PES 2010 can set the standard once again.

:)

For me, it doesn't matter how the game is packaged. It just needs to have that virtual cocaine that I crave.

I appreciate how in order for the greater populace to recognise the game as all round greatness, it needs to have an ultra polished front end and be as swish as if it were produced by Apple.

I think a lot of people have had over inflated expectations, particularly in regards to PES. I look back to PES1 on the PS2, it wasn't exactly the biggest leap from ISSPE2 but that game laid the foundations for WE6:FE, WE7, WE8:LE and PES5.

So in that respect PES 6, PES 2008 and PES 2009 may lay the foundations for PES 2010.

Well, not so much PES6. But yeah, if history repeats itself then the game will hit it's stride on it's third installment, which would be 2010.

Well let's assume that for PES2009 the framerate issues are sorted (Shipping a game that works out of the box should be a games developer’s/publisher’s #1 priority. It clearly wasn’t in the case of PES2008. What does that tell us about how they see their customers? That’s right — as idiots. Any hint of slowdown in PES2009they might as well start including copies of FIFA09 in the same box). Perhaps online is sorted too. That still leaves the arcade-fest style of gameplay. Given how very quite Konami have been about PES2009 it might, and I only say might, be a repeat of what occured last year.

I think most people who were disappointed by the PS3 version of PES2008 regarded it as a temporary blip. A glitch in the Matrix, so to speak. Normal service, surely, would be resumed in season 2008-2009? Yes, that’s how it would go: PES2009 would be a grand effort, and FIFA would slink back to its corner once more. Ha!

I think that every PES fan, myself included, has entertained some version of that comfy scenario. But I don’t think the reality is going to play out that way. At the time of writing there is a lot of information circulating about FIFA09. It’s looking good, it’s fair to say…

FIFA09 anticipation is at fever pitch. My mouth is watering like Niagara Falls. If, after all this, FIFA09 doesn’t turn out to be a truly great next-gen football game, EA’s pre-release propaganda has definitely been the best there has ever been, bar none.

But, you know what, I think it’ll all turn out to be true. I think that EA Canada—the much-maligned producers of all of those dismally bad FIFAs of yesteryear—are finally walking the walk.

I think FIFA09 is going to be the best football game of the next-gen era so far. I don’t think PES2009 will be able to match it. I think Seabass has left himself too much to do in too short a space of time. It will be PES2010 or PES2011 before we see a ‘proper’ Pro Evo on the next-gen consoles—if ever. Somebody at Konami may be surveying the landscape right about now and wondering if they might be better off sticking with the 'pick up and play' arcade market, a la PES2008. And just as economically profitable; at least in the short term.

FIFA as the engrossing simulation; PES as the soulless arcadey goal-fest. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the world has turned completely on its head. And I still haven’t got used to it.

Could we be on the verge of a paradigm shift in football gaming? Or has the shift in fact already happened?

If you’d told me a year ago that right now I’d be looking forward to FIFA09 while almost dreading what Seabass & Co. have in store for us, I’d have probably been literally unable to comprehend that possibility.

Because of the PES-oriented paradigm, of course. That’s what paradigms do: they establish the rules of thought. They define sense and nonsense. A year ago, “FIFA good/PES bad” would have been the most outrageous, laughable nonsense. Today? Not so much.

Still I do hope PES2009 is great and a return to a simulation approach but to be honest I've personally not really seen anything so far to suggest that will be the case. Even WENB on their podcast were far from impressed by the most recent trailer. They also hinted that Konami PR people get angry if PES2008 is dissed and talk about how great the sales were!!! If PES2009 is indeed just to be an updated, non-buggy PES2008 (the Doomsday Scenario…), then we will know the direction the series is heading in - and it will NOT be the right direction in my view.

Until I see a full hands-on preview from several separate sources that all tell me we’ve got a proper PES game on our hands for 2009, I’ll keep my expectations down low. It’s the best thing all round.

OK those are my last thoughts until there is a gameplay video and or significant PES news.

P.S hope that this isn't going to get me banned!

Last edited:

WOW!! One of the best posts I've ever read. Thanks for that, Terry

I think it would've been better if Seabass and Co. had not realeased a game (PES 2008) only a year after getting used to the programming of the PS3 which programmers complained that it was difficult to deal with.

Well let's assume that for PES2009 the framerate issues are sorted (Shipping a game that works out of the box should be a games developer’s/publisher’s #1 priority. It clearly wasn’t in the case of PES2008. What does that tell us about how they see their customers? That’s right — as idiots. Any hint of slowdown in PES2009they might as well start including copies of FIFA09 in the same box). Perhaps online is sorted too. That still leaves the arcade-fest style of gameplay. Given how very quite Konami have been about PES2009 it might, and I only say might, be a repeat of what occured last year.

I think most people who were disappointed by the PS3 version of PES2008 regarded it as a temporary blip. A glitch in the Matrix, so to speak. Normal service, surely, would be resumed in season 2008-2009? Yes, that’s how it would go: PES2009 would be a grand effort, and FIFA would slink back to its corner once more. Ha!

I think that every PES fan, myself included, has entertained some version of that comfy scenario. But I don’t think the reality is going to play out that way. At the time of writing there is a lot of information circulating about FIFA09. It’s looking good, it’s fair to say…

FIFA09 anticipation is at fever pitch. My mouth is watering like Niagara Falls. If, after all this, FIFA09 doesn’t turn out to be a truly great next-gen football game, EA’s pre-release propaganda has definitely been the best there has ever been, bar none.

But, you know what, I think it’ll all turn out to be true. I think that EA Canada—the much-maligned producers of all of those dismally bad FIFAs of yesteryear—are finally walking the walk.

I think FIFA09 is going to be the best football game of the next-gen era so far. I don’t think PES2009 will be able to match it. I think Seabass has left himself too much to do in too short a space of time. It will be PES2010 or PES2011 before we see a ‘proper’ Pro Evo on the next-gen consoles—if ever. Somebody at Konami may be surveying the landscape right about now and wondering if they might be better off sticking with the 'pick up and play' arcade market, a la PES2008. And just as economically profitable; at least in the short term.

FIFA as the engrossing simulation; PES as the soulless arcadey goal-fest. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the world has turned completely on its head. And I still haven’t got used to it.

Could we be on the verge of a paradigm shift in football gaming? Or has the shift in fact already happened?

If you’d told me a year ago that right now I’d be looking forward to FIFA09 while almost dreading what Seabass & Co. have in store for us, I’d have probably been literally unable to comprehend that possibility.

Because of the PES-oriented paradigm, of course. That’s what paradigms do: they establish the rules of thought. They define sense and nonsense. A year ago, “FIFA good/PES bad” would have been the most outrageous, laughable nonsense. Today? Not so much.

Still I do hope PES2009 is great and a return to a simulation approach but to be honest I've personally not really seen anything so far to suggest that will be the case. Even WENB on their podcast were far from impressed by the most recent trailer. They also hinted that Konami PR people get angry if PES2008 is dissed and talk about how great the sales were!!! If PES2009 is indeed just to be an updated, non-buggy PES2008 (the Doomsday Scenario…), then we will know the direction the series is heading in - and it will NOT be the right direction in my view.

Until I see a full hands-on preview from several separate sources that all tell me we’ve got a proper PES game on our hands for 2009, I’ll keep my expectations down low. It’s the best thing all round.

OK those are my last thoughts until there is a gameplay video and or significant PES news.

P.S hope that this isn't going to get me banned!
mods shouldnt ban you for a statement like that. if so i would question the mods intentions because your post is absoluletly spot on and down to earth. i fully agree with what you said. if they can fix the online play and slowdowns then there going into the right direction.

i like to add my points to your statement. particularly fifa08. while fifa 08 was teh better game by far in comparison to PES08 on the ps3/360, compared to the ps2 and even the psp version of that game, in terms of pure gameplay, FIFA08 was only SLIGHTLY better then the old gen gameplay of PES. i quickly got bored of FIFA 08 real quickly because the gameplay wasnt up to scratch. it felt sluggish and slow and unresponsive whilst the old gen pes08 felt more fluid and quicker to string one-two passes etc.

if PES09 can slap on old gen gameplay in it and decorate it with the current gen graphics, then we have a PES game that will definetly compete with fifa09 in terms of ganmeplay because tbh fifa08 and even euro 08 gameplay is not that great. its just that PES08 on the current gen consoles was REALY bad. had it been decent i would not have taken a look at fifa08 at all.

And i think many here feel the same too. i too have low expectations of PES but im preying that it will turn out to be a great game that will compete with fifa.

Well while i don't like the PS3 version of PES2008, i quite like the PSP version.
As a matter of fact i'm still playing it an awfull lot.

Hi there, I'm new in this forums and I 've to say that the new and cleaner post is a good idea, although for those who want to know things about THE GAME.

I want to point something that (as far as a I've read) no one of you had said:

I think, from the screens we can see (the start one, most of all), that Konami is understanding this 2009 version as a 2008 fixed one. You know, I mean the 'start' screen is just a fixed version of the Pes2008 one. So, probably, what many of you had said about the big step in the 2010 version we can expect on may be true.

PD: i apologize for my english since i'm spanish.

Well while i don't like the PS3 version of PES2008, i quite like the PSP version.
As a matter of fact i'm still playing it an awfull lot.
ditto. thats the only footy game im playing atm. i play it everyday on the way and back from work. on my 8th season on it now and ade has been my top scorer for the past 3 seasons lol

I played that Liveware edition for ages as well, now that was probably my favourite game to date. If 2009 can replicate that experience on the PS3 then it should be a sight to behold.

Same here. Still playing it ;)

Good morning, everyone.

Wait! So let me get this straight. ISS had 32 & 16 directional movement before? But PES is only 8 way! One of my most requested features for PES 2009 is 16 way directional movement since it will increase the freedom of the player and make the game more accurate. Wow. I really hope that its in this year considering its been implemented years before. Does anyone remember these titles? How did they play? What was the movement, passing and shooting like?

Thanks.

:)

Let me correct myself - and what you understood from my text.

pjft said:
Furthermore, one of the games had 32 directions to move while running (similar to nowadays), while the other only had 16 (remember how you ran in PES2 with R2?). Also, the "Shoot+Pass" feint had its direction reversed.

The 32 directions while running is how it is implemented nowadays. "While running" means exactly that: while running, the player will move in 32 possible directions. It doesn't mean that you had 16-direction movement in-game ;) It means that, when you're running and you try to turn, instead of turning 45 degrees, you turn 22,5 degrees.

Obviously, the "16-direction movement" I mentioned was supposed to be 8-direction movement (45 degree turns). 16-direction movement is pretty awkward, in fact :mrgreen: My bad.

EDIT: I'm going to correct my own correction, since I completely lost it. I had to draw a scheme just to make sure I was talking about the right things.

Where it says "16-direction", switch to "8-directions".

Where it says "32-direction", switch to "16-direction".

Where it says "16-direction movement is pretty awkward, in fact :mrgreen: My bad." switch to

<cue Sam Cooke's Wonderful World>

"Don't know much about geometry,
Don't know much trigonometry,
Don't know much about the math I took,
Don't know much about how dumb I look,

All I know is that I love PES
And if you know all the good things it has,

What a wonderful world it would be"

Thanks.

Terry: obviously you're not going to banned for that post. It's a good post, not because it is not as agressive as others towards PES, but because all the criticism you pointed out is properly argumented.

I don't agree with you completely, when you say that

Terry Butcher said:
(Shipping a game that works out of the box should be a games developer’s/publisher’s #1 priority. It clearly wasn’t in the case of PES2008. What does that tell us about how they see their customers? That’s right — as idiots. Any hint of slowdown in PES2009they might as well start including copies of FIFA09 in the same box)

because if that would be as extreme as you'd mention, you'd have to generalize it and not make it specific to Konami, to be fair.

EA's PS3 versions - to my own sadness - have been pretty poor in what concerns frame-rate and slowdown. FIFA08 wasn't the worst, Madden'08 was just plain terrible...

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/14/ea-tech-support-explains-ps3-madden-frame-rate-issues/

Still, that's a bit off-topic.

I, myself, have only now begun truly enjoying PES6's Player Camera + Fix Player mode. Why? Because in the PS2 you could only play it without slowdown in the training stadium (the one with the trees)... Now on the PS3, there is no such slowdown for PES6.

PES5's player camera was even worse, it would crawl a lot, making 10-min games feel like 20-min ones.

So yes, I agree that slowdown needs to be sorted - but I wouldn't go as far as saying that that means that they view their customers as stupid ;) I'm really, really eager to try out the Be a Legend mode, allegedly without any kind of slowdown whatsoever. I've been waiting for such a mode for almost 10 years (I even wrote Namco, after LiberoGrande 2, asking if they were planning to make a sequel for the PS2... They answered me politely, stating that it was not on their plans. Apparently, they weren't lying :P).

The rest of your post is pretty good. I respect your eagerness for FIFA09 - even though I don't share it - and I sincerely hope that, come October, both of us will be playing a football game that suits our tastes - whichever that game may be. :)

That would be golden for me.

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

Last edited:

I feel guilty posting 1 line responses now with all these huge posts going about :P

I've got a thirst for more information on PES09, but at the same time I'm pleased we've got as much as we have at this early stage.

I had PES on the PC last year and it didn't run too badly, even though I had to drop the resolution, but this year I'd like it on the PS3. So clearly I'd like it to run a whole lot better!

I'm also one of those sad types (!) that once I've played my first match on a new version of PES I get the urge to do some editing, namely with kits. So if there's one area of 09 I'd like to be improved it's that one.

Take the point about the PSP version etc. I only have a PS3 so everything I say is from that viewpoint.

The kit logo importer thingy from 2008 was very poo i thought. You'd import a jpeg file, resize it and place it perfectly on your kit. When you hit done the edges would become all pixelated and fuzzy. Annoyed me it did

I don't get it really, pes6 animations and player model + pes5 gameplay and ball physics (we9lek would be better) would make an almost perfect game. Thye should stick to those 2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom