Next Gen Consoles

I wouldn't say it's pointless, to be honest. To be this close to release of both consoles, it shows people seem to be favouring the PS4 as expected. It'll be interesting to see another poll in a years time to see what console people have at that time.

I just don't think it's particularly surprising most have chosen ps4. It's cheaper and lots of people where burned with the initial xbone announcements or just have a grudge against m$ which is quite understandable.

Just don't see what canvassing opinion like that really says, beyond hammering the point home in a fanboyish kind of way (not you, the articles creator!)

Got to laugh at all the PS4 vs XB1 graphical comparisons. It's all about the gameplay, right? I was under the impression that screen resolutions, anti-aliasing and frame-rates aren't important to most console gamers.

I just don't think it's particularly surprising most have chosen ps4. It's cheaper and lots of people where burned with the initial xbone announcements or just have a grudge against m$ which is quite understandable.

Just don't see what canvassing opinion like that really says, beyond hammering the point home in a fanboyish kind of way (not you, the articles creator!)

Especially since these online polls are going to be skewed in favor of the PS4. The X1 is surely to get more casual gamers, and casuals are much less likely to filling out polls at gaming sites.

Got to laugh at all the PS4 vs XB1 graphical comparisons. It's all about the gameplay, right? I was under the impression that screen resolutions, anti-aliasing and frame-rates aren't important to most console gamers.

Seriously, where'd you get that idea? We like pretty things too!

It's okay I guess. A bit overwhelming and confusing at first, but that might be because it's all so new.

Interesting. I've been watching it in videos and the word confusing came to mind. I'm not that impressed with it really. Looks quick and responsive though.

Interesting. I've been watching it in videos and the word confusing came to mind. I'm not that impressed with it really. Looks quick and responsive though.

Yes, when I first started it up I couldn't help but think that they should include a tutorial or something for when it first boots up.

I will say that switching between a game and the UI is super fast and kinda mind-blowing at first. Yeah, yeah, I know this is basically alt-tab, but whatever, I thought it was pretty cool.

But I've never been all that impressed with either console's UI. I think I'd prefer the Xbox's if it weren't for all the damn ads and changing content though.

Well seeing as they are the same games....and ones we have all played for years anyway, there is not much else to compare ;)

So to change the tone from dissapointment, what games are you most looking forward to that you know about?

I really like the look of The Division and ofcourse Uncharted is a biggie. Will be interesting to see how FIFA develops for 15.

We defend getting a console for many different reasons but I don't recall any of us wanting less than 720p 30fps. Good games and gameplay matter but it's not like in this day and age we're going to shell out $400-500 for a 480p console. Let's be reasonable here and end this please.

Game are cheeky bastards. When I ordered COD Ghosts a few months back they said it would be £49.99. Then last week they said it was gonna cost £54.99. Yesterday when I went to pay for everything its gone up to £59.99

Lucking as I have a day 1 edition Xbox1 it goes down to £40 but for everyone else thats a lot of money to pay for one game.

Game are cheeky bastards. When I ordered COD Ghosts a few months back they said it would be £49.99. Then last week they said it was gonna cost £54.99. Yesterday when I went to pay for everything its gone up to £59.99

Lucking as I have a day 1 edition Xbox1 it goes down to £40 but for everyone else thats a lot of money to pay for one game.

Yeah those prices are unacceptable. I've ordered my two launch games from Shopto and they're charging £47 which was steep enough. £60? No way.

Not only that, but Ghosts is an absolute shambles of a game.

It's like being charged £60 to be kicked squarely in the testicles.

We defend getting a console for many different reasons but I don't recall any of us wanting less than 720p 30fps. Good games and gameplay matter but it's not like in this day and age we're going to shell out $400-500 for a 480p console. Let's be reasonable here and end this please.

I do recall many here not caring about graphics.

Guys coming from PC perspective look at it differently since they already play at 1080p 60fps as a norm I guess. So when we say graphics don't matter it doesn't mean we're ok with PS1 graphics. It simply means good games and gameplay first then comes graphics.

Lami we do understand but you got to remember that graphics can play a major role in gameplay.

Also a PC just doesnt make things pretty but it allows more things to happen on screen. More physics for example can create better gameplay

Lami we do understand but you got to remember that graphics can play a major role in gameplay.

Also a PC just doesnt make things pretty but it allows more things to happen on screen. More physics for example can create better gameplay

Why are we still discussing the PC? I'm not sure anyone will dispute the fact that a high spec - hell, even medium spec PC, is more than capable of bettering the next gen consoles in many, many aspects.

But consoles are still one of the most popular devices on the planet. This playground theme is like someone buying a car and being really pleased with it then a random stranger knocking on their window and showing them what they could have bought which did things far better, but would need constant upgrades to keep it roadworthy.

The PC is better than Next Gen consoles in so many ways. But what it doesn't have, IMO, is sit-in-your-lounge quick game playability while chatting to your mates who are all playing the same game. There's something geeky about a PC gamer; an image of a middle-aged guy sitting in his pants on a rotating chair with a keyboard and mouse at his fingertips. I jest, of course, but Jesus this is getting intolerable now. At least with the Sony/MS fanboy posts we are on the right theme.

This is a console thread to discuss the new generation of systems. Perhaps we could have a "PC is better than console" thread, too? I'm not too sure many would argue.

They wouldnt get any enjoyment from a thread like that though. Without console gamers to annoy and point and laugh at... They'd have very little to talk about.

On topic, we had the Xbox ones delivered on Monday at work (Argos) We got 5 pre orders and that's all we had delivered to us and were also told there would be no more stock until after Christmas. They weigh a lot... Like a box with 4 bricks in.

We get ps4 delivered Monday... I'm hoping they weigh a lot less as we're getting 20 delivered (10 pre ordered and 10 spare stock) and then been told were getting regular deliveries every week up to and beyond Christmas.

Last edited:
Why are we still discussing the PC? I'm not sure anyone will dispute the fact that a high spec - hell, even medium spec PC, is more than capable of bettering the next gen consoles in many, many aspects.

But consoles are still one of the most popular devices on the planet. This playground theme is like someone buying a car and being really pleased with it then a random stranger knocking on their window and showing them what they could have bought which did things far better, but would need constant upgrades to keep it roadworthy.

The PC is better than Next Gen consoles in so many ways. But what it doesn't have, IMO, is sit-in-your-lounge quick game playability while chatting to your mates who are all playing the same game. There's something geeky about a PC gamer; an image of a middle-aged guy sitting in his pants on a rotating chair with a keyboard and mouse at his fingertips. I jest, of course, but Jesus this is getting intolerable now. At least with the Sony/MS fanboy posts we are on the right theme.

This is a console thread to discuss the new generation of systems. Perhaps we could have a "PC is better than console" thread, too? I'm not too sure many would argue.

i have a HTPC connected to my HDTV in my lounge gaming while chatting to my friends who are all playing the same game.

Your point is invalid.

Back even on the old PS2 days i still had my PC hooked up to my TV and we all played 2v2 PES games with real authenticated teams. squads etc in house parties and everyone loved it.

The absolute only thing a console is good for and that it is a cheap device compared to a PC. thats about it

i have a HTPC connected to my HDTV in my lounge gaming while chatting to my friends who are all playing the same game.

Your point is invalid.

What point is invalid? The point I was ultimately making was that the PC is, or certainly can be, a colossus of a machine - whether that be for gaming or media. That will never detract from the fact that consoles are hugely popular worldwide and always will be. I just don't understand the fierce rivalry between the camps. If you've got a decent spec PC, brilliant. Well done. If you haven't and prefer a console, congratulations. Why the need for slating either if you're perfectly happy is baffling to me.

But hey, it wouldn't be much of a messageboard without opinion and banter I guess. So crash on.

The absolute only thing a console is good for and that it is a cheap device compared to a PC. thats about it

That's not entirely true, either. There are systems in the PC Building thread that can match the next gen consoles for the same price or even less.

Last edited:
I like consoles best because I can power them up and start playing within seconds. In 4 years time, ANY game released on it, will work out of the box (bar any complete screw ups by the devs or servers) and everyone playing is on equal ground. No gamers with better systems and better draw distances who can see you clearly while all you see is a pixelated dot.
I don't have any worries about viruses or hacking or having to update program's and drivers over and over.

Do pcs work the same way these days?

I like consoles best because I can power them up and start playing within seconds. In 4 years time, ANY game released on it, will work out of the box (bar any complete screw ups by the devs or servers) and everyone playing is on equal ground. No gamers with better systems and better draw distances who can see you clearly while all you see is a pixelated dot.
I don't have any worries about viruses or hacking or having to update program's and drivers over and over.

Interesting point that.

You are living in the stone age my friend.

First of all many console games especially ps3 games forces u to install the game so your point about instantly playing a new game you get is invalid.

Second of all drivers don't need updating manually nowadays. Windows 8 now comes with so many drivers that as soon as you install it you are practically ready to go.

3rd thing is that a PC can now act just like a console ie boot directly into steam big picture mode as if you are turning on a console.

4th is that PC games especially from steam or origin gets updated automatically. The only effort to setup Fifa or bf4 for example is to install origin and click redeem and download your Fifa or bf4.that's it.

Only need to do it once. You don't have much knowledge because you have not gamed on a PC for the past 5 years.

Viruses and hacking are a thing of the past, providing you don't go to really dodgy websites.

Updating programs and drivers is now done pretty much automatically, via Windows updates and Nvidia also now has an update program which does it pretty much automatically now. The massive scary part for people is the building of the machine and the initial installation of Windows, but that is a doddle now as you just insert the motherboard disk and click install all drivers.

In terms of gameplay and UI:
You can also boot your PC straight into Steam Big Screen, so it is effectively the same as turning on a console, you will boot straight into the that. Also anything in your steam library is also constantly updated every time you are logged in, so no inserting a disk and then having a pop up that an update is needed as it has already been downloaded.

PC's are now a million times more accessible than they were 10 years ago, but as we all know PC gaming comes with this stigma that you have to be a complete geek to play on them.

But I will agree with Lami that gameplay is the most important feature about games. And the consoles do get the best games in terms of exclusives mainly thanks to Naughty Dog, that is why I always will end up buying a console.

Back
Top Bottom