Next Gen Consoles

I've said on the first reveal of the PS4 and XBone, the focus is specific.

And they are taking it out of the hardware.

It is about being cheap, small with more user experience leaps than proper technology leaps.

That was always pretty clear to me, I don't know why some expect that much, you are not their focus and it is a business.

Edit: This gen is flopping on one thing for sure though, the launch games, some features still not working

Last edited:
What I meant is your can't stream movies anymore from your PC to the PS4 or play media from an external HD, that is the only thing I use my PS3 for and too me it is a massive feature that I would want/expect from a next gen machine.

Yep, massive for me too.

however hasn't this been slated for January 2014 so the rumours say, I won't be picking one up till likely the Summer.

I've said on the first reveal of the PS4 and XBone, the focus is specific.

And they are taking it out of the hardware.

It is about being cheap, small with more user experience leaps than proper technology leaps.

That was always pretty clear to me, I don't know why some expect that much, you are not their focus and it is a business.

Edit: This gen is flopping on one thing for sure though, the launch games, some features still not working

+1

Lots or PC angry nerds around here! :LOL:

Deep inside they all love the consoles, or else they wouldn't come here so often.

+1

Lots or PC angry nerds around here! :LOL:

Deep inside they all love the consoles, or else they wouldn't come here so often.

Not my focus either hono :LOL:

My focus are the guys with high expectations for graphics, I think eventually the game developers will figure out the 1080p 60fps issue, some games are running like that on both consoles with more than decent graphics.

I wanna see major improvements on some things like the store, like the online, like the UI though. They sold a better user experience for me, that's what I want.

Fact of the matter is most consumers don't have any intention of getting or even thought about a gaming PC so the PS4 and XBox One are a big step up from the PS3/360 for most gamers.

Not my focus either hono :LOL:

My focus are the guys with high expectations for graphics, I think eventually the game developers will figure out the 1080p 60fps issue, some games are running like that on both consoles with more than decent graphics.

I wanna see major improvements on some things like the store, like the online, like the UI though.

The XBO store is looking good.

Most of the next gen things I am liking are not related to pixels;

* Streaming on Twitch
* Being able to save and upload gameclips just by saying "XBox, record that"
* Masses of NPCs in DR3
* The use of the cloud in Forza 5
* Eventual (hopefully!) integration of Sky/Virgin etc.

All things that couldnt be done this gen. Thats what is most exciting!

Fact of the matter is most consumers don't have any intention of getting or even thought about a gaming PC so the PS4 and XBox One are a big step up from the PS3/360 for most gamers.

Not just a big step up either. Like I said, it's natural progression. The current consoles won't suddenly die a death, but eventually the focus will be on the next gen platforms and game developers will put their time and efforts into them instead of the current consoles. May take a year or two, but you can see already the differences in Fifa and Battlefield on current gen > next gen.

The XBO store is looking good.

Most of the next gen things I am liking are not related to pixels;

* Streaming on Twitch
* Being able to save and upload gameclips just by saying "XBox, record that"
* Masses of NPCs in DR3
* The use of the cloud in Forza 5
* Eventual (hopefully!) integration of Sky/Virgin etc.

All things that couldnt be done this gen. Thats what is most exciting!

Surely that won't take long to come seeing as they already to it with the 360

"Xbox, watch Sky Sports" :LMAO:

Surely that won't take long to come seeing as they already to it with the 360

"Xbox, watch Sky Sports" :LMAO:

Yea its annoying - especially as there is no Sky Go app cited for any time in the near future.

Got Virgin myself, so not that fussed, but my mate is apoplectic that Sky Go has gone and he wont be able to watch footy downstairs.

NBA 2K14

PS4
ps4-nba2k14crop.png

Xbox One
xbone-nba2k14crop.png

Not just a big step up either. Like I said, it's natural progression. The current consoles won't suddenly die a death, but eventually the focus will be on the next gen platforms and game developers will put their time and efforts into them instead of the current consoles. May take a year or two, but you can see already the differences in Fifa and Battlefield on current gen > next gen.

It's true, I took a look at the PS3 games from around launch, or just after, and the difference in graphics from then to now is staggering. It'll be guaranteed that by the time the PS4 is well established, games will look vastly superior to the ones they do now.

And the PS4 does do 1080p at 60fps. Killzone and FIFA are two, and BF4 is almost there. It won't be long before all games are running much better on both consoles, once developers start to shift focus away from current gen.

The only thing about next gen that concerns me are the marketing tactics from game companies. Eurogamer seem to be the only review website I've read that openly slate Turn 10 for their micro transactions policy in Forza 5. They seemed to have reduced the tracks, halved the number of cars, then turned the game into a grind-fest to be able to afford anything decent. Meanwhile, they push micro transactions at you trying to get you to buy upgrades or cars etc for cash.

If games start to go the way of IOS freemium games then I'm definitely out.

Last edited:
FYI.

Paul ‏@Placebo_obecalP 23h

@turtlebeach Hi, when will the PS4 chat cable be available to buy for people outside the USA?
Expand

Turtle Beach ‏@turtlebeach 3m

@Placebo_obecalP We're working to bring the cable to other territories as soon as possible.

Troll what ? just the reality ;)

Not one single post from you on any negative PS4 issues (of which there are many), even as a prospective PS4 owner myself (waiting for Amazon to confirm my mega bundle shipping date) your posting habits are a bit embarrassing.

It's interesting reading X1 reviews. This gen is looking to be a fascinating competition between Sony and MS.

This is from the extremetech.com review of the X1 and sums it up nicely, or at least sums up why - for now at least - I'm choosing the PS4 over the X1:

Ultimately, we’re looking at what could be the Xbox One’s downfall: As it stands, the console has a lot of cool features that could become truly revolutionary — but today, they’re mostly just gimmicks. Gimmicks, as we know all too well, are very good at driving positive reviews and early adoption — but beyond that, Microsoft now needs to capitalize on the framework that it’s built to deliver a truly compelling living room experience. I think the Xbox One is a better launch-day console than the PS4, but I don’t think we’ll see a real leader emerge for a year or two: Microsoft needs to push a lot of software patches, and Sony needs to publish some games that really take advantage of the PS4′s superior hardware.

After being mostly a 360 gamer last gen, I chose the PS4 because I'm first and foremost interested in it as a gaming machine, and nothing the X1 offers that the PS4 doesn't makes me feel like it's the better gaming machine or worth $100 more.

But I see myself picking up an X1 at some point, and it'll be interesting to see if these gimmicks become more than that, not to mention whether the PS4's hardware specs actually prove worthwhile for gaming.

Was in game tonight and they had ps4 playable Fifa 14.

I didn't hang around tho as I was just passing through.

Weird thing is they didn't have Xbox one out at all.

Not one single post from you on any negative PS4 issues (of which there are many), even as a prospective PS4 owner myself (waiting for Amazon to confirm my mega bundle shipping date) your posting habits are a bit embarrassing.
It's just a comparative screenshots between the two new consoles, I stop that if it's embarrassing for you, isn't a problem, really.

Pointless chart! Gamers could change their minds any moment depending on upcoming releases or features etc. laughed when I saw that earlier.

I wouldn't say it's pointless, to be honest. To be this close to release of both consoles, it shows people seem to be favouring the PS4 as expected. It'll be interesting to see another poll in a years time to see what console people have at that time.

Back
Top Bottom