MMA thread

Fedor Emelianenko is an MMA fighter Tim, named the 'UFC giant killer' as he has battered a number of UFC bug guns, Arlovski, Cro Cop etc etc

Well i watched Strikeforce last night which had a pretty good card

Lawler, Arlovski, Nick Diaz were in it

anyway

The Joe Riggs v Baroni was pretty good, Riggs was groundwork was was brilliant and he landed some good punches.

Nick Diaz is becoming my new favourite fighter to watch, he took apart Smith was his deadly boxing skills. He even had me laughing at times with the random stuff he does in the cage and the fact that for a good few minutes straight he kept jabbing the same spot on Smiths forehead again and again :LOL:. Also he threw an amazing 200 punches in the second round and most of em were landing, he didnt even use any power he looked like he wanted to teach the other guy a lesson before getting him down and using his equally impressive BJJ skills and getting a submission

Arlovski vs Rogers was just a massive shock :LOL: Only lasted about 30 seconds before Rogers nearly took Arlovskis head off with 4 clean punches to get a TKO

The last fight was a bit disappointing but the submission Shields did was quality, i dunno how he held on that tight even when he was lifted up

Next to watch is WEC 41 tonight, Faber vs Brown :)

I watched WEC 41 last night and it was the best event i have seen for a while

You had back and forth fights, non stop action even when it went to ground, some great subs, awesome KOs and some bad cuts in there and they rarely seem to tire :LOL:

I watched in HD as well which was even better :)

You can definitely tell the UFC has something to do with WEC because its nearly the exact same format from the intros of the fighters down to the way the show the ring girls in between rounds. Oh and there was a heavy UFC presence as well and Kenny Florian was the commentator and a brilliant one at that

just checked after i wrote that

World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) is an American mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion. It is the sister promotion to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), both owned and produced by Zuffa, with a focus on the lighter weight classes (155, 145, 135, & 125 lbs). The WEC uses the same rules as its older and much larger sibling, and holds its matches in a smaller octagonal cage.

155 and below is definitely the way to go judging by last nights show

UFC 99 this weekend

MAIN CARD :
* Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva
* Cheick Kongo vs. Cain Velasquez
* Ben Saunders vs. Mike Swick
* Marcus Davis vs. Dan Hardy
* Spencer Fisher vs. Caol Uno
* Mustapha al Turk vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic

PRELIMINARY CARD :
* Justin Buchholz vs. Terry Etim
* Dale Hartt vs. Denis Siver
* Peter Sobotta vs. Paul Taylor
* Roli Delgado vs. Paul Kelly
* Denis Stojnic vs. Stefan Struve
* John Hathaway vs. Rick Story

-

I wonder if Setanta last long enough to show it live at the weekend

Yeah, I'm sure they'll show UFC 99

The one I'm really worried about is not being able to watch UFC 100 in July. They could have gone bust by then.

Dana White Says UFC 99 Will Air Live On Setanta

For the past few days, the UK broadcast of tomorrow night's UFC 99 card has been up in the air. The troubles stem from financial difficulties at Setanta, who have been the UFC's live broadcast partner for recent events. While Setanta looked to be all but done, apparently some sort of deal has been made to ensure tomorrow night's event goes on as planned. The news comes via Dana White's Twitter where he made the update earlier today:

"UK fans UFC 99 will air on setanta live!!! Spread the word."

http://twitter.com/danawhiteblog

UFC 99 thoughts. Will edit as I watch the fights.

That Marcus Davis is a bit of a knob, it has to be said. Hardy won and immediately went over to shake hands and Davis shrugged him off :SHOCK: Fair play to Hardy afterwards for still being respectful towards that muppet Davis.

Felt bad for Al-Turk getting poked in the eye, it was clear from his reaction that he wasn't holding his face from a punch and the ref should've stepped in there I thought.

Kongo should've won there. The amount of strikes that connected and sent Velasquez on his backside should've paid off and I really don't know why Kongo kept getting close.

Franklin v Silva was ace! Great fight, great heart from both and great respect between them. Top stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts on UFC 99...

I think Davies was just disappointed, he did shake Hardy's hand straight after the match. Great win for Hardy though, nice to see a local lad doing well.

Cro Cop did poke Al Turk in the eye IMO and I think the fight would have been totally different if the ref saw it and allowed Al Turk to recover. Al Turk looked on top from the off and Cro Cop blatantly reached out with an open hand to stop Al Turk from seeing and as a result poked him in the eye, 1 point deduction. Accident or not it definitely effected the fight.

Also, I'm not so sure Franklin did win his match, for me Wanderlei had it just on sheer punches connected etc. Hope he doesn't retire on the back of this fight as he really is a true warrior in the sport.

Set Setanta to record this live and when I got up to watch it yesterday, it had taped Setanta 2 somehow. So I set the recording off again last night for the repeat and the fucking bastards at setanta had the tv guide showing it started at 11pm and ending at 2am. So that's what V+ recorded but it turns out they actually had golf running until just after midnight so I completely missed off the last few fights.

Useless mother fuckers

Depends if Bravo buy the rights again

I doubt they will because UFC is becoming big business these days, so i bet a PPV channel will buy them or Sky will and put them on Box Office

Yeah they wont let a moneymaker like the UFC slip away again

I can see it going down the WWE route. That used to be free until they realised how popular it was and starting charging £12-15 for a main event. So they may make it free for a bit on the SS channels then move it to PPV when they start getting the high viewing figures

I aint to fussed where it goes anyway TBH although it would be nice watching it live or on Sundays at a reasonable time like the Bravo days

Sky wont put every event on PPV. That would be complete madness and it would fail. The UK fight fan is not use to paying for a PPV event every month. The 3am starts would kill PPV business on a monthly basis.

I think Sky would only screen the European events on PPV and maybe a few US events depending on the main event.

Dont sky only show 50% of WWE events on PPV?

Funny to see Mirko Cro Cop work Dana White like a fool. Signed up for one fight, used it as a warm up and then tell Dana you are going back to Japan. Classic!! :)

Picture%202_3.png

Apparantly not...

Going back a page or two I asked if the UFC was coming to England at all and some people said they didn't know - there was a UFC event at the O2 in London only 3 months ago! :LOL:

Apparantly not...

Going back a page or two I asked if the UFC was coming to England at all and some people said they didn't know - there was a UFC event at the O2 in London only 3 months ago! :LOL:

I must have read your question wrong, i thought you asked if it was coming again

There have been a few at the O2 already

Back
Top Bottom