MMA thread

I read a few days ago this bit of news

UFC President Dana White promised during Friday's UFC Fan Club Q&A that UFC would return to the UK in October. This would seem to indicate that UFC will have two more events in the UK this year since most expect a UK show on November 14th already.

Apparently if Bisping beats Henderson he will get a title shot in Manchester

Now that would be the event to go to

Yeah definitely, I would be there. I hope he brings a few of his team UK along for some fights too and Dan Hardy for some British bouts.

Haha what's with all these ruddy's lately?

Jay is the only guy on here old enough to say ruddy

hmmm that's a tough question, i would say over 50. Its for the older generation that thinks bloody is swearing so change it slightly so not to swear ;)

and about this weekends TUF finale

Team UK rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad Damarcus got dominated for all the shit he said while in the house

UFC ENDS RELATIONSHIP WITH SETANTA SPORTS

London, England – The Ultimate Fighting Championship(R) organisation has confirmed it has terminated its agreement with Setanta Sports.

Setanta had been the broadcaster of UFC(R) live events and programming since January 2008.

UFC UK Division President Marshall Zelaznik said: “It was with great regret that the UFC ended its relationship with Setanta. Over the last two years, Setanta has helped the UFC become the biggest indoor sporting event in the British Isles.

“They were the right partner for us at the right time as we continued to build the sport of mixed martial arts and our brand.

“Throughout the last few weeks we have been kept informed of the situation at Setanta and therefore we are in a position to ensure our UK and Eire fans will not miss any of this summer’s huge UFC events, commencing with UFC 100 in July.

“We will be announcing the new home of UFC shortly but assure our fans they won’t miss any of the upcoming super-fights."

And Zelaznik added: “And on behalf of the UFC I want to wish the team at Setanta all the strength to get through what must be very difficult times. We have worked very closely with the entire Setanta team over the past years and wish them the best of luck in the future."

Now the panic is on to see where we can watch UFC100!

hmmm that's a tough question, i would say over 50. Its for the older generation that thinks bloody is swearing so change it slightly so not to swear ;)

and about this weekends TUF finale

Team UK rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad Damarcus got dominated for all the shit he said while in the house

Indeed Wilks destroyed him was good event also some good fights.

Great finale of the Ultimate Fighter series 9!

Sadly the Nottingham Evening Post already spoiled the results before I watched it as a few local lads won, but glad to see some more guys from the UK breaking into the big time. Excellent fights by all of the guys from the UK, and finally Dimarcus was shut up (before Bisping would have done the deed). Ross Pearson and James Wilks were great.

Local as in East Midlands

EDIT: Apparently he's originally from Sunderland, but trains in Nottingham.

Last edited:
Is it worth watching TUF from the first episode of this season then?

:LMAO: :LMAO:

Just watching EP1 and Gary Kelly introduces himself, he's a Scouser and even I couldn't understand him and they put subtitles up :LOL:

Get in UFC Lashley dont fight these joke fighters.

UFC apparently don't want anything to do with Lashley as he's a former pro wrestler and has also been in talks with TNA Wrestling about working for them part time. UFC say they don't want to associate them selves with fake pro wrestlers (despite Lesnar being their champ).

No surprise about Lashley as Sapp is totally finished as a fighter..

I am no fan of the WWE or TNA for that matter but Dana White stance on pro-wrestling is laughable considering the way he used Ken Shamrock to boost UFC popularity and PPV's buys.

Someone should tell Dana that Mark Coleman was taking pro-wrestling bookings in Japan for years before he returned back to the UFC. Oh and lets not forget that Lyoto Machida was training in the New Japan Pro-Wrestling Dojo's before he went into MMA full time.

It is good that the Japanese MMA promotions have always embraced pro-wrestling.

Lashley should try and get a deal in japan for now. He doesnt need the UFC and still has loads to prove. Dream or Sengoku would probably let him continue with his TNA bookings if he still wants to do that.

http://www.ifight365.com/2009/06/ufc-uk-update-as-broadcasters-show-interest-in-tv-rights/

UFC-UK update as broadcasters show interest in TV rights
Sunday June 28, 2009 BY Phil Lowe

In an update on the new home of UFC programming here in the UK following the closure of Setanta Sports last week, iFight365.com understands that an announcement could be made as early as next week.

Several broadcasters have shown an interest in taking over the UFC’s UK television rights, including ESPN, Sky Sports and Bravo.

Terrestrial broadcaster Five also showed some interest but we do not believe they are in the running.

As we reported last week, sources had told us that Bravo were in the frame to take over from Setanta, which was widely expected after Dana White had said prior to UFC 99 that the show would air there had Setanta folded earlier in the month.

Should Bravo not end up winning television rights, it may be that they still get to broadcast UFC 100.

If ESPN, for example, win the rights, they may not be in the position to stage a live broadcast right away. The Disney owned broadcaster is closing in on the purchase of FA Cup football rights as it expands its portfolio in the UK and in the next week or two it will become clearer how the company is planning to schedule its programming going forward. Currently, ESPN have ESPN America and ESPN Classic in the UK.

Its possible that an extra channel will be launched to cater for its newly-won Premier League football rights or the broadcaster may choose to make changes to how ESPN America is aired in the UK. But should ESPN win the UFC rights, personally I think its more likely that should the deal see UFC PPVs air live in the UK that UFC 101 on August would be the first UFC show to air.

Should Bravo win the rights then UFC 100 will almost certainly be broadcast on a tape-delay basis.

Bravo is one of several channels owned by Virgin Media and currently up for sale. As previously reported here at iFight365.com, BSkyB (the parent company of Sky Sports) are interested in purchasing the group of channels and have lodged a bid believed to be around £160million. Should that deal go through, it would speed up Bravo’s move to High Definition, with a Bravo HD giving UK fans the chance to see UFC (and TNA) shows in HD.

Virgin 1 - another channel owned by Virgin Media and also up for sale - could also be in the running but at time of writing we had heard nothing to suggest they had submitted a bid to teh UFC.

Sky Sports’ interest in the UFC is partly due to the HD content. Sky have had interest in UFC for some time but in the past their interest hasn’t been particularly high as some believed it wouldn’t be a major success and would fare no better than Cage Rage.

Whether or not Sky’s bid for the UFC would have any bearing on contract talks with WWE (their current five-year deal is up next January) remains to be seen. Should Sky win the rights to UFC programming, I can see a situation similar to how PPVs work with the WWE: Some would air on Sky Sports as part of the monthly subscription and some would air on a pay-per-view basis via Sky Box Office.

Interesting times ahead and we’ll bring you latest developments as we get them over the next week or so.

Phil Lowe
phil@ifight365.com

Last edited:
Cheers Coopz :TU:

TUF is quality, watched the first two episodes last night and loved them :)

The second one in particular with the guy fainting right at the start, then the other guy just collapsing everywhere because he lost so much weight.

Looking forward to watching the rest, the UK guys look far meaner than the Americans :)

Stick with it Dags, some awesome fights in season 9 - especially the Wilks v Lester fight a few shows in, you'll know what I mean when you see it ;).

Just started episode 3 with the egg-throwing. Rob Browning needs his face smashing in, what a tit!

Edit: :D

Watched a load of these last night, I think the last one I watched was episode 9 :) Really enjoying it and it's great TV, also making me appreciate MMA more as I listen to the advice the fighters are given in training and during the fights. Should make watching UFC more enjoyable than it was now as I'll understand it more :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's the black guy we keep seeing with the judges who has face paint on? He looks like some voodoo shamen or something!

Back
Top Bottom