LittleBigPlanet

I wish Eurogamer would get fucked off and not given beta keys anymore, they just can't handle the demand and it always becomes a mess. Maybe giving it to a site with a bit (read A LOT) more power and/or a better method of giving keys out.

What a joke.

Sorry CB it's a fucking amazing game been playing single and a bit of online although there was a little lag. Still great though i'm gonna try make a level.

Good god what a game - online is laggy in parts - but we had 3 of us in a game then running and jumping and slapping stickers around. I have my ps eye camera plugged in and put a piccy of my nob (or so jay asked) on the level. Very impressive and despite being a platformer ... it's got so much to do and doesn't feel like playing a shitty 2D platformer from the 90's.

I wonder if we can do a co op creation level? I read it's not going to be coming with the disc on launch so im assuming it's not a part of this beta?

I am loving this beta, I'm going to make my first level when I get in from work, can't wait.

it was my hand close to the camera with my middle finger up

i tried to make a level last night and spent an hour doing tutorials :(

Radiation, can you do a write-up of it? I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on the beta :))

As amazing as this is, I dont think its going to be the platform shifter Sony are hoping for.

For peeps like us, we will be drooling over this, but I cannot see the casual gamer being into it - it looks too complex as a tool and too simple as a game concept.

Personally cannot wait for it, but I just wonder how it will be received generally...

I'll do a better write up later when I've had chance to explore the creation tools and when the little one has her dinner time nap - Last night I spent an hour and a half (no joke) doing tutorials to understand how everything works. Everyone will have to do these, not only to understand how everything works but completing each tutorial unlocks new parts for you.

Some tutorials aren't even obviously open to you - there are a bunch that link into each other so you do tutorial 1 then you can do 2, 3, 4 etc. but there are some stuck away in the parts you unlock. I selected a pulley and it gave me a tutorial video (just a video) - then i picked a piston and had the tutorial where it shows you a video and you have to recreate what they do and place a piston down and tweak it.

The creation tools are uber complicated. Seriously, there are that many options and then within each part extra options and extra options. I need to spend a good hour maybe 3 maybe a few days just checking out each part and seeing what i can do with little test models before i attempt an actual full level. But the cool thing is you can create test models and if it works save the entire piece and then import it into your maps later - so you can design a map piece by piece and then put your level together like a jigsaw puzzle.

I think casual gamers can still have lots of fun here - i played a few custom maps this morning - load times are pretty fast and you get to check out the maps description, leaderboards, if there are any unlockable items etc. In fact I don't think there is enough time to check the extra menus of each map out before you're loaded in! The variety even less than 24 hours in is great - ive had race levels where the challenge is to get to the end of the map asap - a boss battle against a dragon where i had to fire things from a canon at it and then the basic obstacle course maps where you jump over fire and electricity and water and get to the end alive.

After playing someone's map as well it gives you the chance to tag it. You get options like 'boss' 'fire' 'tense' 'fun' 'race' 'hard' - which are used when searching for specific maps.

I need to get in and have a dig around later on though before i can comment on anything else - I've not had a full chance to have a dig around

Sounds excellent :DD

I like that the creation tools are complicated, it should result in pretty varied levels. I might be looking forward to this more than FIFA :DD

Didn’t get a key? Never fear: this is almost as good. After the break you’ll find a movie of the first 14 minutes of play from the LittleBigPlanet beta, including the opening sequence, the tutorial - narrated by Stephen Fry - and the run-through of the first level.

SCEE put its beta live tonight, with demand crushing Eurogamer as the PS3 faithful tried to get one of 5,800 keys for the test.

Watch it. Sorry about the quality. We’re getting a capture card very soon, so it’ll be direct-feed all the way from there on in.

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/09/23/lbp-beta-movie-the-intro-tutorial-and-first-level/

Beta thoughts

Can't spend as long as i wanted doing this but here goes...

The beta comes with 3 levels and 1 challenge level for the story mode. The 3 levels basically explain a few features and reward you with basic items and abilities. I'll cap card them tonight and upload them onto youtube and post them back here. Nothing or major importance to say about the levels - it's pretty much everything we've seen so far so I'll let the videos do the talking. If anyone wants to co op them with me when I record we can sort that out as well.

Co op online seems to lag here and there - sometimes is can be heavy sometimes it only lasts a second. I have noticed that if you try to use your PS3 camera to photo yourself and slap that sticker in the level for all to see the game lags out most times. Probably best taking your own image before a game - saving it and then using it from there as it doesn't lag as much if at all that way. Must be something to do with the game autosaving your photo while trying to keep your all online in co op.

The challenge level is pretty fun - it's basically jump rope mini game. You're standing on a platform, below you is water (well not actual water, but a created piece that looks like water moving right to left with properties that if you fall into you die) - Behind you is a king made of pieces and stickers and he has a Tie that is spinning. On the end of his tie is a block and that's what you have to jump over. It gets faster and faster until you eventually get smacked off the edge. Then it takes you to a leaderboard and shows you your position.

After this your scores and data will be sent to your friends via a small pop in box at the top of the screen. I assume to give them a chance to jump into that map and try to beat you - but it's cool just to see what your mates are up to.

--

Creation mode is very complicated and then some.

Imagine finding a huge bag of lego - tipping it out onto the floor and then thinking 'what shall I make?'. Then that overwhelming lost feeling hits you as you think of a million things but have no idea which pieces are the best to pick.

Earlier I spent an hour making a huge TV set. I started off making a wooden desk - then the base of the tv - then the back and the screen - then i cut out the screen and placed a tiny sackboy cardboard piece inside and then placed a glass piece over the front of the tv. Then i changed the texture of the tv from wood to rubber so it had a black look and feel to it then I hit O to go back to the game and everything fell onto the floor in pieces. I had forgot to fix it all together!

Not to fear though - a tap of the D-Pad 'eft' and you can rewind one step back to before you returned to the game and everything fell. This time i fixed everything together and ran into a problem. Not a game problem but something everyone will find - i had to delete some pieces to be able to grab a piece at the back and then fix that into place and then re add the front pieces.
I can;t find a way of flicking between the layers and grabbing what's on that layer at the moment and i don't think you can - it seems to let you grab what you see so if you have something in front of something you'll always grab the front piece.

I hope we can grab pieces in the background as it will be annoying if you put something hidden behind a wall and want it to pop up only to find it doesn't work fully and the only way to tweak it is to move the wall to get at it.

Anyway - this TV. It was naff by the end. The problem was you have the choice of a garden background or a plain empty background and the tv didn't fit well in either.

The other option is to pick a template and create a level based in that. There are about 10 pre made templates which are basically a pre made empty level full of platforms and backgrounds ready for you to add the items and play. A really good way of showing you what's possible and letting everyone add items and have fun with that rather than being stuck at the basic stages for weeks until they've mastered the game.

I think this will be my next step into making my own world for now.

I played 2 custom games just about 20 minutes ago and upon completing them i won 2 items. One was a rocket car that fires off and you have to hang onto the back (kinda shitty though) - the other a sort of weird bomb with an eye on one wheel that comes after you as you pass (Very shitty). There are 2 types of reward - both can be acquired by completing that map. But one can be locked to the map so the only way of getting it is to finish it yourself. The other allows one friend to finish the map and then send that item to their friends and share it around.

The variety of maps is still impressing me - I've yet to run into a map that feels the same as the last unless it's by the same creator. From sandbox maps with rocket cars and ramps just for the hell of it to on foot races to obstacle courses and high score based maps.

There are so many things you can do - One im working on now is the Gladiators final challenge with the bars at the start to jump over and under to the monkey bars (replaced with tarzan style swing ropes) then the climbing net (a vertical pillar with blocks left and right to leap up and up on - then a zip line - balance boards with spikes to avoid - up the treadmill (made by using lots of wheels that you have to run / jump up) then the swing rope through the final wall (which im not sure how to make yet) and landing on the chequered flag and then the map end leader board.

I'll record some footage of the creation mode as well tonight and upload that.

Yea, seconded - that sounds superb!

Imagine, if it is limitless, what we will get. Star Wars levels, Video Game reconstructions, film set-pieces etc etc - so much inspiration to draw from.

Game is gonna be awesome!

I just know I'm gonna neglect my Uni work because I'll be creating anything and everything on this. My mind works in strange ways so god knows exactly what my levels will look like.

Though I suppose doing media at Uni, I could just take it in and we could muck about on that for a lecture or two :-pp

Definitely won't be a system seller IMO. How are they gonna advertise it so that it reaches everyone and makes them buy it? Really don't have a clue.

The TV ads will be key.

A super exciting thing happened today! The beta trial went live to thousands of people, mainly via eurogamer.net. In fact, I believe you all briefly brought down their site! WOWZERS! At the moment the feeling in the office is somewhere between unbounded excitement and mild panic - personally I think I’m losing my mind (in a good way!) Had to bash out a few songs on our newly acquired office copy of rockband just to de-stress while the beta downloaded in the background! just had our first few playthroughs with some of you people and with some of the levels that have been published.

What AMAZES me is how good the first ’sketches’ of levels are. it took our testers at least a few weeks of heavy create before incredible levels started appearing. and now something cool for you all to think about: you’ve only seen the first 3 levels :) Remember, this is a *beta* to test our servers, NOT a demo. Can’t stress that enough! So, what’s is so cool for us to see, is that you haven’t even seen the amazing story mode yet, which serves as inspiration, and yet the levels going up are already interesting. I can’t wait to see what y’all do when you see the full game, and start cranking out levels.

Also, since it’s a beta, it’s already quite an old build. We have some cool new stuff that’s been in our private test for a few days, I won’t give it all away but there are things cooking such as 5-star ratings, (much) better performance and less lagginess, better online stability, better UI for publishing, faster downloads…. so in a way playing this version is simultaneously exciting and an odd throwback to a couple of weeks ago.

Finally, to everyone who has supported the game, played the game, left comments, posted levels, and really got into the spirit of LBP, understood it, and well, enjoyed it, it makes me incredibly proud! Thanks for all comments and constructive feedback, we’re listening and we already have *stacks* of stuff lined up for the beta, and the full release. If you liked the first 3 story levels, the other 50 odd levels are going to blow you away :) HOORAY! I AM SO EXCITED!

ok I’ll stop now.

FINALLY PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT BETA KEYS:

PS sorry but beta keys and their distribution are actually entirely in the hands of Sony. MM have no control over this, so we can’t help if anyone wants to get on the beta trial, I am certain (100%) there are more keys coming SOON but we’d recommend checking the playstation forums and all the usual places for news. In fact, even MM hasn’t received our own full set of keys yet - we’ve only got about 10 between us all so far! (ok so we can play the game anyway, but, y’know, in case it makes you feel better!)

http://www.mediamolecule.com/2008/09/23/welcome-to-the-beta/

Last edited:
I believe one code can be redeemed 3 times

Does anyone mind share their used code with moi pls?

PSN: blaccat

cheers

I believe one code can be redeemed 3 times

Does anyone mind share their used code with moi pls?

PSN: blaccat

cheers

Nah, few of us tried a few yesterday from the kind souls from here and codes can only be used ONCE.

Any other site or forum that says otherwise is wrong!

I've got 100% on the 3 levels.

Just tried out my gladiator lebvel and im just too shit to do it justice at the moment - i made an awesome looking tv - then did the race start piece - set up some obstacles to jump over and under - then added a wall to climb and then i got totally lost when trying to make the swinging parts that are in the 3 levels and even worse when i tried to make a zip line - i don't even know if that's possible in the beta.

Dags - Pbb - I've sent you both a message but you're both offline - I'm gonna jump on the ps3 for a bit so if you see the message jump online and give us a nod and i'll jump back on here and we can go on from there.

Right guys - seems we might be able to share this beta - ive just sent my PSN details to Pbore and he's currently downloading LBP - Beta through my download history.

We'll have to wait until he hits 100%, installs and attempts to load it to see if it works properly. But it's not locked to my PSN account as i loaded up my USA account and it worked fine there.

Back
Top Bottom