Killzone 3

Had a go with the gun and can genuinely say, that this is how all fps's should be played in the future. Sony and the game devs have got this spot on. It's accurate, fast and of course, really immersive.

Certainly takes a while to get used to it, but no different to when fps's first started using twin sticks and introducing more and more buttons.

Anyone got any questions?

Sure! My main concern is moving and panning the camera. It's really a natural thing that comes with time or can be a throw-back handicap?

Had around 6 hours on the multiplayer now and I'm loving it. Tempted to get Move & the Sharpshooter, this is the third forum I've come to tonight where folk are in love with it.

The maps are nice & varied but my favourites are definitely Corinth Highway & Bilgarsk Boulevard. Doing a lot of Marksman & Medic at the moment, love the sniper rifle on the former, got 2 games with it before coming off and managed an 8 streak on Akmir Snowdrift. Having my ass-kicked regularly on Pyrrhus Crater!

Single-player is very enjoyable, had around an hour on that so far and enjoyed..
seeing Rico left behind.

Sure! My main concern is moving and panning the camera. It's really a natural thing that comes with time or can be a throw-back handicap?

Takes a while to get used too for sure, but it's very intuitive and very accurate. I never felt like it didn't do what I wanted, or felt it could have done it better with the gamepad.

It is VERY sensitive though, so you need to fiddle with that. Thankfully, you can recalibrate any time in the pause menu.

Just had a proper go of this. Multiplayer, but not using the gun as I'm head fucked from a heavy night.

Absolutely brilliant!! Much better than kz2, which I liked too, but this is much looser to control more like cod. Nice classes give it a bit of a bfbc2 feel, loads of unlocks etc.

Didn't like the graphics at first, but it looks epic once you adjust to the art style. The mp map with the sloping corridors is really nice.

Not sure why it's getting such mediocre ratings...

I'm on at random times at the moment. Hopefully I'll be able to get on more often in the evenings. I agree it's far better than KZ2. The only slight problems I've had is spawn camping. But that's because idiot players don't choose the tactician and sprint outwards right from the start and try to capture the outward spawn points.
The other the range on the medic gun for reviving is pathetic. you basically have to stand right next to the dead guy. And annoyingly there is no medic icon on the mini map so a lot of times people don't know you're on the way to revive them and so they tap x to re-spawn leaving you standing there reviving a dead corpse.

I'm not sure why it's had average reviews but I've read a few that criticise the game for buckling under the pressure to change the controls to a more touchy more responsive style like cod. Really stupid reason.

Some of the mp maps are ridiculously detailed. I played one in botzone... erm.. i can't think of the name of it .snowdrift or something? but the detail and number of stuff going on in the sky like enemy ships flying around fighting is an awesome sight.

I don't know the names of the 3 modes but Team DM is too short at the moment. I know the patch coming soon will extend that by making the points needed to win higher. Good fun though.

The middle mode... the one that rotates through assassination and tdm and ctf style games etc. I play that the most. It has a mix of everything... takes a while to do and in the end you get more xp and points to rank up for those higher weapons/tools.

Operations is great. It's short, and I think there are only 4 maps. But you have objectives to attack/defend objectives. You also have cut scenes during the missions showing the teams attacking things and blowing them up. It's great fun but it's bloody hard on some maps. I think the junkyard map is a piece of piss. But the snowy map that starts with a cut scene of the attackers landing is rock solid. Mainly because you have to run up some stairs and plant 2 charges on some doors and the defenders can easily set up turrets and just camp the doors for all sorts of angles.

Does anyone know how well the multiplayer works in comparison to the online demo? It never let me connect to a single match before, just had to play against bots.

I'm considering getting the move & gun stuff, sounds fun. I recently picked up a Samsung 3-D TV, and the 3-D mode is awesome in KZ3. I figured that 3-D & move might be the most immersive way to play. How does the move stuff fair in MP too?

Killzone.com just posted a tweet : "The Killzone 3 servers will be down for maintenance from 16:00 GMT. This is expected to last up to 2 hours. Apologies for the inconvenience" . Just posted to let everybody know so there isn't spamming of 'Network Errors' - this is the reason for these errors!

Just completed the single player campaign. Brilliant game. Lots of variation throughout the story. Really fun last few levels, however the ending was a bit lacklustre. Going to back now and get a few of the trophies I missed out on.

The controls in this game are so much better than in Killzone 2, and I haven't noticed a lot of loading either. A much more enjoyable experience so far, killzone 2 felt like a chore at times.

Here at Guerrilla Games we have been busy fixing bugs and adding features based on your continued feedback. The good news is we’re now readying our next patch to go live later next week. It is currently undergoing extensive testing and we’ll confirm the exact time and date of release once we have it.

This is the first of a number of patches that we have in mind. If you can't find your favorite fix on this list it is most probably in one of the next patches. If you want an idea on some of the other stuff that are coming in future patches, check out the End of Open Beta announcement. We will keep you updated on other fixes as soon as we can.

Below is a detailed list of all of the fixes and changes included in patch 1.04:
CHANGES & NEW FUNCTIONALITY

* Network - Lag fixes and fixes for network errors 10002, 8001 and 8013
* Gameplay - Players now have more stamina by default. Sprint length is increased but the recharge timer has been adjusted to compensate
* Gameplay - Mortally wounded players no longer have collision. Alive players should now be able to traverse the levels without getting stuck on mortally wounded players
* Gameplay - Medic's revive cool-down reduced from 25 to 10 seconds
* Gameplay - Increased range from where friendly players can be revived - player can be revived from 20 meters now
* Gameplay - Guerrilla Warfare games now last 15 minutes and it takes 100 kills instead of 50 to win
* Performance – Improvements to party creation server load
* Menu - Show envelope icon to indicate that player has received message
* Menu - Rewards panel in post game screen now auto-scrolls
* Menu - Botzone is now paused when player goes to start menu
* Menu - Single click squad invite
* Menu - Enhanced idle detection code in menu, the player isn’t spawned if he’s still pressing buttons
* Security - Several security, anti hack and cheat fixes

BUG FIXES

* Stability – Fix for an occasional crash bug when in the Credits screen and transitioning straight into Multiplayer via a Invite
* Stability – Fix for potential hang when players migrate between maps
* Gameplay - Player can retain crouched collision after deploying jetpack
* Gameplay - The Assassination Executioner medals only count Deadly Assassin kills, not Executioner kills
* Gameplay - Cloak kills with weapons that break cloak now count towards medal for Cloak levels 1 and 2.
* Gameplay - Global - Medic’s Triage droids now disappear when player quits out of game
* Gameplay - Cloak/Disguise cannot be removed manually by accident anymore
* Gameplay – Fix for rumble in Exo being over-powered and out of sync
* Gameplay – Fix for Silent Footsteps remaining active after choosing other skill and removed from the personal stats menu
* Exploit - Akmir Snowdrift - Player can reach the boat by using an ammo box to exit the intended boundaries
* Functionality – Disc eject now handled more gracefully
* Trophies - DLC 1 ‘Little Big Weapons’ Trophy does now counts rocket launcher and StA2
* Clan functionality – Fix for player quitting and re-joining a tournament, they may re-enter a tournament alone.
* Menu - Find game – Operations - Mode description - Spelling issue fixed
* Menu - Friends: Fix for Clan tags being displayed for a max of nine players despite the number of player that are in the clan
* Menu – Fix for incorrect message given when attempting to join a Clan Game that an online friend is taking place in
* Menu - Spawn-screen – Fix for when the extra Primary Weapon skill is equipped, the weapon description goes out of sync
* Menu - Accolades do now show subsequently
* Menu - When receiving a squad invite from a player in another match, there is now a warning that the player will leave his current game.
* Menu - Scramble detailed range and in-game range now match properly
* Menu - The Spot and Mark description in the unlock menu is now correct
* Menu – Fix for when the player presses the SQUARE button when a player that is in their game is highlighted in the squad lobby menu they receive the message ‘You cannot join a play that is not in a game.’
* Menu - Turn off animations for the squad list to avoid it becoming unreadable every time a rebuild occurs when voice chat is activated
* Menu – Fix for when trying to join a friend without the required DLC pack, the message will tell the player they are part of a squad.
* Menu – Fix for the message informing the player they are attempting to join a DLC game without the required DLC content installed reading better
* Menu - Increased Accuracy & Faster Reload Ribbons now update in the personal statistics screen.

Additional to this, we are performing regular and significant Server updates to help with connection issues such as the -9 Error (fix deployed Thursday 3rd of March) as well as improving performance and lag.

We have already begun work on further patches to include additional gameplay improvements, feature upgrades and a variety of bug fixes. If you are experiencing any problems with Killzone 3 please check out our FAQ or hit the forums where we will be on hand to answer any of your questions.

Thanks for your time and patience,

Guerrilla Games

http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_GB/blog/news/2011-03-03_patch-1-04-announcement.html

i tried the demo, fist of all fps are not my cup of tea but i did find difficult to focus due to the colour palette. is it just me?

and another game which seems to have very poor AA, but it seems to me it is a common feature in most ps3 games.

Digital Foundry had an article where they spoke about the AA or lack of. I've not played through the SP fully but they mentioned that some levels had AA and it makes the levels look amazing but other levels don't have it and it really shows when you go from just having it to no longer.

I play games with my tv on 'game mode' so don't notice the lack of AA on games anyway though.

I don't know how it works for all tv's but for me it smooths away the sharp jaggy edges on the game. On KZ, COD and PES 2011 there are jaggies that really stand out but when I put my tv into game mode they're gone and everything has a next gen smoothed out colourful feel.

Game mode typically turns off all image processing features so that the latency between input from the console and output on the TV screen is as small as possible. In Rad's case I'd wager his TV is sharpening the image deliberately, even though he doesn't like the outcome. Might be worth having a look at whether something else is causing the picture to become jagged.

Yeah I use game mode too, games are unplayable without it switched on. Directional movements feel almost like your character's drunk or something.

It's worthwhile turning the sharpening on your TV settings in game mode to, say, 25 out of 100 rather than the higher defaults. Really makes a difference to jaggies etc.

Patch hit the other day. Great improvements for Medic & sprint stamina. Sadly, the DLC maps bug is still in, but scheduled for the next patch. I don't mind, I love Salamun Market as there's plenty of idiots whoring the Wasp who never seem to see where I snipe them from.

Gave the MP a go today, I have a LOT to learn! Wasn't sure about the game but getting in one of those mech suit thingys was the most fun I've had in a game in ages :)

I finally finished the SP yesterday and boy did it miff me off at times. I was only on 'normal' difficulty but the on rail sections were completely unbalanced. There were times when I couldn't aim where I wanted so could only fire straight ahead with my machine gun and use rockets for targets out of the middle of the screen... but when you get attacked by 3 dropships at once you stand no chance of destroying all 3 before they kill you.

I think there were 3 sections like this in the game and I just had to keep re trying over and over doing the same thing each time until I fluked it.

Other than that I really enjoyed it - so no more unbalanced on rails in 4 please.

LOL, cheers mate, shows you how much I know about the gaming world.

Presume he must have a £10.01p voucher as it sure it shit ain't £19.85 on the Shopto I've looked at.

FD

Back
Top Bottom