Home (PlayStation 3)

Thanks for the vids, but so far I'm not liking what I'm seeing. Looks great, sure, but seems terribly dull.

Outfitting my character, making silly expressions, and playing mini-games?... even if I organize to go online with my friends it seems dull.

Besides, if we are going to take the time to organize a gathering, why not just meet in reality?

Home will have to be EXTREMELY integrated into gameplay for this to remotely interest me. Like if the Call of Duty 4 lobby was a room in HOME where I could see my buddies, then that would be a bit more fun than just chatting before/after games. Otherwise, it just seems a complete waste of time.

Kind of like "the Sims". I suppose if you like those games, this would appeal to you. To me, a complete time waste.

The Warhawk, Resistance and Uncharted Home stuff sounds very cool.

What they MUST get right (and I have my doubts it can or will be done), is a proper 'lobby' system - i.e. sure, you can meet up and chat etc - but then you need to launch into the game directly from that.

I doubt developers will integrate anything like that into games, so its going to be a pain of meeting in a Home lobby, agreeing a game, coming out of Home, loading up COD4 for instance, meeting up again in the in-game lobby etc.

Just cannot see it working like that...

I think they could integrate that rather easily. In home all you would have to see is a bunch of rooms with labels of the games they are. Your party walks into a room, ie. COD4. Once everyone is in the room you hit a button and COD4 loads up with you in the party assuming COD4 is in the drive.

I think they could integrate that rather easily. In home all you would have to see is a bunch of rooms with labels of the games they are. Your party walks into a room, ie. COD4. Once everyone is in the room you hit a button and COD4 loads up with you in the party assuming COD4 is in the drive.

Sounds so easy when you put it like that!!! :D

I think I'd like to see Home as a proper lobby to games though - so when you COD4 round is over, you all get dumped back into Home lobby. Think this would then make it worth while as you could then carry on with Home stuff whilst waiting for the next match.

This sort of system works well with Minna No Golf 5 on PS3 - which virtually has a Home type lobby system. Much nicer than waiting 2 mins looking at a list of names and people to click 'ready'.

In reality, the loading times from COD4 to Home would be too much to handle I think to have that level of interactivity...

They will take their time. There are over a hundred thousand being released for the SCEE region today and even more next Thursday.

Their e-mail system has crashed and since there was a SCEE annual meeting today they didnt have enough time to fix the problem. As a result HOME closed beta keys will not be sent out until Monday now.

Why am I not suprised, SCEE fall flat on their faces again.

Strange. Some people are reporting that they are starting to recieve beta key e-mails today.

Jay D can I have it please? I still havent got one and if I do I would be happy to return the offer to any evo-web member! :)

I thought it was too but it isnt because over at NeoGAF some people were trading invites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im pretty sure the codes are not tied to your PSN account as I have seen some been given away. Also this article indicates that HOME is shareable:

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-235253.aspx

I have checked both my UK e-mail and US e-mail accounts that are registered on PSN and have not received an invite yet. I thought I was loyal enough. I own 14 PS3 disc games and 3 downladable titles and use the PSN regularly. :(

Ah crud, it's a bit daft really that they aren't tied to your accounts, any moron could guess one and get lucky.

From the EU Forums

Following on from last Fridays email problem I just wanted to let you know that we're still working on the issue which is external and related to the volume of mail we're trying to send overall.

Just over 20000 emails managed to get through and the vast majority of the recipients downloaded and visited Home however the problem still remains and I'm waiting to hear what can be done about it.

Our intention is to resend all the emails we're sure didnt get through (the majority) and also send a larger batch this coming Thursday but the problem needs to be dealt with first obviously.

More news when I have it.

Ted

PS. With regards to "gamesharing" Home we've obviously removed the firewall from Home now so it works much like many PSN Games with multiple accounts. However, "gamesharing" involves sharing personal account details and this is just plain dumb.

Never ever give anyone your PSN Login ID or your Password.

Please, be smart about this, giving your account details to someone else is just like giving your account away hoping to get it back.

Open Beta isnt that far away.
Update 16:42uk:
We're working on clearing the email "blockage" but its a pretty slow process so I'll say now that no invites will leave today. More on this subject tomorrow.

For those of you interested, the first batch of invites was targetted at a percentage of people who had downloaded something from the Store. Its nothing to do with number of posts in the forums.
The next batch is largely based around active gamers, ie those who have logged into a SCEE hosted game in the last couple of months.
Again its not everyone, for those who dont get an invite Open Beta will be here before Christmas.
Message Edited by TedTheDog on 24-11-2008 04:44 PM

I got an email with this...
We've chosen to offer access to PlayStation®Home to a select number of PLAYSTATION®3 owners, and as a valued member of PlayStation®Network, you have been selected.

I just deleted it? I knew I wasn't a valued member, I take it they are given to anyone...

Plus it was from TedTheDog, I ask you...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom