GRID (PS3/360/PC)

Cool :) You seem to be hung up on car damage - that a big plus for you in a racer?

GT5 does lack that, but hopefully they'll patch it as it does need it.

Wonder if a game will ever be made that everyone agrees on! :LOL:
Yeah because I crave realistic elements. Whats the point of bumper car physics and driving the car and smashing into barriers and not getting penalised for it?

Yeah because I crave realistic elements. Whats the point of bumper car physics and driving the car and smashing into barriers and not getting penalised for it?

Yea, your definately right on that - big let down in GT5. I prefer to 'not crash' so the lack of damage is by-the-by - but it SHOULD definately be in. Biggest problem with it is there is no consequence of wreckless driving - so you know you can approach a corner at 200mph and ride the barrier (not that I do - I'm saying its always in the back of your mind).

I'd prefer to be on edge and even though I observe breaking points etc, it'd still be nice to know a mistakes gonna cost you.

I wasnt having a dig by the way, you just seem to mention damage a lot, and as GRID has a good damage model, I wondered if that ticked a big box for you?

Yea, your definately right on that - big let down in GT5. I prefer to 'not crash' so the lack of damage is by-the-by - but it SHOULD definately be in. Biggest problem with it is there is no consequence of wreckless driving - so you know you can approach a corner at 200mph and ride the barrier (not that I do - I'm saying its always in the back of your mind).

I'd prefer to be on edge and even though I observe breaking points etc, it'd still be nice to know a mistakes gonna cost you.

I wasnt having a dig by the way, you just seem to mention damage a lot, and as GRID has a good damage model, I wondered if that ticked a big box for you?

go play a game called gtr2 on the pc. the main points of that game is that you can play with over 20 people online lag free, there are blue/yellow flags in races that penalize you for recless driving, weather effects of rain and as a bonus, fantastic real damage on cars

http://gtr-game.10tacle.com/index.php?id=246&L=1

I dont know what Grid trying to be it has driving assists yet it feels more arcade then anything.

Its not done properly imo even if Arcade game its handling is not even a touch on PGR.

Damage is good and graphics but it might aswell be a Toyota MR2 with Ferrari bodykit what the point. :DD

is it just me or did colin macrae rally 3 on xbox have a proper four point racing model i.e. no central pivot?

That game was brilliant - especially Japan tarmac courses - was like rallying through crouching tiger!

Why abandon it? (new hardware programming accepted)

Ok, this might be a bit embarrassing, but I've got humility!

I was about to delete the GRID demo, but bearing in mind the wildly mixed reviews - and some tips on improving the demo in AVF, I game it one last go.

I like it!!!

When I reloaded it, I tried to forget yesterdays experience and think 'Not GT5, Arcade Style Racing' - to the extent that I didnt use the wheel (I dont think the feedback is working properly in the demo anyway) and used the DS3 instead.

And, following tips in AVF - and something I dont normally like to do, I left all the aids ON. Feels like a completely different game. The race round SanFran was really exciting and I've become impressed with the technical aspects of the game. The graphics are very good (in a certain style), I like the 'headcam' as it makes you feel part of the action and other little details - like moving feet are a nice touch.

The damage model is really good - though the cars can probably take too MUCH punishment, but its a nice touch.

Didnt really think much to the drifting race.

The circuit race was enjoyable too and nice to see some AI racing with its own mind - saw quite a lot of comings together.

The driving model is still too light - but again, by keeping 'arcade racer' in mind, it allowed me to not focus so much on the physics (or lack of) and more on the fun.

Lastly, the driving aids, though on, werent so obviously applied so as it felt like cheating - it just felt fun to drive.

Ok, this ones got potential! Gonna have to keep chipping away and see how it goes. Think I will prefer to use the wheel, so hopefully its supported better - or I just had a glitch yesterday. For those interested, I will retest tomorrow and report back!

DJ, I think I am beginning to see what you are on about with this one!

Funnily enough would you beleive i had similar experience was showing it to friend earlier and it seemed a completely different game to what i played yesterday.

I had driving assists on both times and i tried it with them off and on and neither was improvement yesterday. But today was totally different how weird did i magically get used to it or something strange all assists on much better experience.

I still think though the handling not quite there its hard to put into words but its a little to over sensitive. You can get away with to much at times and i still feel its not a touch on PGR 4 handling.

But my friend seems to like it though i enjoyed it more then yesterday experience will see opinions on full game.

Last edited:
:|........So....should i try this out know since you lot seem to think its a lot better?

Best to always try it out for yourself one man crap is another mans gold. :))

It like films plenty of them i seen bad reviews only to enjoy them.

:|........So....should i try this out know since you lot seem to think its a lot better?
which lot? most of us hate the game including me. the game is pants and i dont enjoy it one bit. if your in to nfs type games this is the one for u otehrwise if ur into sim games like gt5, gtr2, forza2 then move on you will hate this game

I downloaded and played this last night and i have to says its shit

It just Dirt but racing on proper tracks

the damage is identical to Dirt so there are no "look at that" moments becuase i have been there and done it, the handling is worse than Dirt

just a shit rehash of Dirt that will only appeal to people who liked that and want new tracks

I downloaded and played this last night and i have to says its shit

It just Dirt but racing on proper tracks

the damage is identical to Dirt so there are no "look at that" moments becuase i have been there and done it, the handling is worse than Dirt

just a shit rehash of Dirt that will only appeal to people who liked that and want new tracks

:LOL: Welcome to 'Day 1' of GRID.

Leave it, go away - come back afresh and all will be well!

louis-walsh-returns-as-x-factor-judge.jpg

I loike it!

I have had one race on the BMW section, and I like it, I will try the others and do a few more races, but overall, feels something totally different to Burnout and I havent found it twitchy yet.

Tried this and its a weird one. As i said im not the biggest fan of racing games and after a few laps i was going flap out around the course which means its definitely arcadey and not very hard but gaming is all about fun at the end and i have to admit it is fun, but there is no way I'd buy it for a 40 quid.

Just tried the PS3 demo and it's pretty much exactly what I expected.

At least they no longer make claims of their games being simulations. They don't even bother with the "pro physics" mode they used to have in the Race Driver series which was their laughable attempt at "realistic" car handling.

No, this is a straight forward arcade racer and as such, holds no interest for me.

The fact that the graphics are of cars racing on tarmac is incidental. You may as well be racing space rockets or speed boats for all the "feel" the cars have. The physics is uttely abismal and whilst Race Driver apparently had a 4 point physics model, this does feels like a return to the primitive days of single pivot-point physics.

I won't even bother going into the poor sound, the strange brown tint to all the graphics and the same horrible AI they've been churning out for years and all their other usual flaws.

That saves me £40 this summer.

Certainly splitting people this one!

For a lot of the reasons you outline below, I hated it at first. But persistant play and the understanding that its not a sim, its pure addrenaline fun, makes this on of the games I'm really looking forward too.

Also, the final points you say arent good, are some of the best for me (and others I've read on other forums) to be honest.

SOUND:

Whilst the engine noise is a bit pissy, the rest of the sound is excellent IMO. The general car noises - rattles, squeaks, the crackle of the exhaust etc are better than anything I've heard in a racer. They really add to the feeling of being in an actual car (are you using in-car view?)

GRAPHICS:

Again, think they are excellent. The partical effects really add to the game and the smoke, fire, glass etc - plus the damage model is really good. Not sure about the 'brown' hue. Maybe its your TV? :LOL:

AI:

AI seems good to me. Racing feels unscripted and the AI make there own race/mistakes as the race unfolds. Any examples you've seen in particular?

Just tried the PS3 demo and it's pretty much exactly what I expected.

At least they no longer make claims of their games being simulations. They don't even bother with the "pro physics" mode they used to have in the Race Driver series which was their laughable attempt at "realistic" car handling.

No, this is a straight forward arcade racer and as such, holds no interest for me.

The fact that the graphics are of cars racing on tarmac is incidental. You may as well be racing space rockets or speed boats for all the "feel" the cars have. The physics is uttely abismal and whilst Race Driver apparently had a 4 point physics model, this does feels like a return to the primitive days of single pivot-point physics.

I won't even bother going into the poor sound, the strange brown tint to all the graphics and the same horrible AI they've been churning out for years and all their other usual flaws.

That saves me £40 this summer.

I think the bottom line for me is:
You may as well be racing space rockets or speed boats for all the "feel" the cars have.

It may well look nice but if it doesn't feel like what it's supposed to be, what's the point?

As Andrew Drinkwater said years and years ago when he was a part of SI, "if it doesn't feel like football, it's not football", and that's how I feel about PES and about games like this. It's not motor racing, it might be fun but it's not motor racing. It's a gritty Mario Kart and nothing else. It will sell because I'm sure it's fun when you get into it but I get my arcade fun from Burnout, and that's enough for me. This and every other arcade racer is second best IMO.

In the age of Forza\GT, shit like this needs stamping out. IMO.

Last edited:
Graphically, it's really nice. I think the brown tint is them overdoing it in trying to create an evening atmosphere.

In terms of sound, the engine noises are the most critical thing and they're simply below par. In fact, I thing they're worse than their PS2 games. I'm actually quite surpised as normally their engines noises are perfectly ok.

The other noises - tyre sounds are virtually non-existent except the same skid noise they've been using for the past 5 years and the rumble noise over the rumble-strips. No noise of rubber on tarmac. No brake-whine, gear change noise, or general metallic and rattling noises from the cockpit, etc. It's all a bit clean.

Try listening to something like Race07 on PC - sounds really nice, great engine noises but all the other noises really add. I've not actually played it (my PC is ancient) but there are plenty of videos on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K-jpeX-jF0. Helps bring the game to life.

But the sound is simply disappointing, not the thing that determines that I won't buy the game.

The infamous Codies AI is back. Yes, the AI cars make mistakes, they always have, but it's just utter chaos, as always. The races are nothing like real racing, just a shambolic arcade-smash-em-up. Some people will love that, personally I have no interest. There are plenty of Burn-out style racers out there but I want proper racing, sim racing. This game isn't it. Codies' games never are any more.

It might seem fun in a demo but experience with their previous games has taught me that when you come to buy the game and try to participate in and win races, the AI is just one big piss-off.

- you'll be tasked with winning a 2 lap race (the ridiculously short races being another major bug-bear)
- starting from about 14th (another bug-bear)
- every single AI car will always make a perfect start (another bug-bear) - have you ever seen an AI car make a bad start in the demo? No.
- they'll all be able to take corners at unfeasibly high speeds
- they'll be given speed boosts to help them pull-away from you (or catch you up) to make sure every race is "exciting"
- they'll be programmed to crash into you regularly, bash you off the track, but try the same to them and you'll be black-flagged or will come off worse in the crash anyway, no matter what angle you hit them at.
- they also clearly scritped some events in their previous Race Driver games (eg. the same identical event will unfold no matter how many times you re-start a race).

Their AI has been like this for the past 4 or 5 games and the demo suggests it's just the same. Seriously, I've come to loathe Codies AI.

However, the main reason I won't buy it is because the physics is as bad as it gets. There's nothing there. It's pure arcade.

Like you say, it's an arcade racer and you need to treat as such. I agree. Indeed, they've not even bothered to try and hype it up as a sim this time. But just because they're not being dishonest about it's lack of sim qualities doesn't mean I have to like their game. I don't like arcade racers and I certainly don't like this one. I've adopted that same attitude with their previous simulations - "ok, it's not a sim so just treat it as the arcade game that it is". But I get bored with it so quickly.

Their TOCA2 game back in 1998 was one of my all-time favourite games, I played it for years. But they've gotten further and further away from that ethos of try to simualte in favour of crash-em-up, manic racing. It'll sell well, but I won't buy it.

It was actually, I'd forgotten about that.

It kind of reminds me of Seabass, give him/them limited power and they'll pull off a great game, give them something ten times more powerful and they'll produce nothing but a very shiny turd. I wonder what it's down to, more of a budget being given to the art department by Codemasters or simply because they're incompetent with a bunch of playtesters who are too scared to say "I won't be coming back next year because I'd rather shove random objects up my arse until it tears open than play this shite again".

Back
Top Bottom