GRID (PS3/360/PC)

Was looking forward to this, however the driftrace ingame vid just reminded me of the total lack of "grounding" in dirt. Felt like you were racing on ice the whole time and never had any proper grip.

Codemasters TOCA/ace Driver games have always had the same unhappy being frustrating close to being superb, but are let down by the same old things every edition:

Horrible AI
- overly aggressive
- with unfair physics advantage around corners, collisions
- AI speed boosts towards the end of races so they catch you up and make it "exciting" at the end of every race
- scripted in places- - ie the exact same things will happen in the exact same place no matter how many times you restart a race
- every AI car always makes an implausibly pefect start in every race

Physics engine
- is just too arcade
- no proper sense of weight transfer
- poor tyre physcis
- ridiculous engine braking (ie. you take foot off the gas at 150mph and the car virtually stops within 3 seconds without you even pressing the brakes - where's the momentum gone?
- very inconsistent damage model - some major crashes result in virtually no performance hinderance yet some minor bumps result in wheels falling off

Short races in career mode
- the races are always 2 or 3 laps, to make it "exciting", yet you are forced to start from 16th and must win the race in 2 laps in order to progress...fuck off! How is that a simualtion? It's an arcade crash-em-up.

Last edited:
Re: 2 new demos on XBL

Race Driver GRID...

Graphics are great, gameplay is absolutely shit. It's Colin McRae DIRT, which was possibly the worst racing game I've ever played, with a facelift. Cars flail and flap, they don't handle. Waste of time.

Just played the 360 Demo of this and I have to say it looks promising! The graphics (to me) look glorious! The only thing im slightly concerned about is the twitchy handling which was ever present in DiRT and seems to have made its way to GRID... other than that I like the demo!

Hearing good stuff elsewhere which has surprised me even people liking handling but i said other week to friend i would place a bet on handling being shit following on from Dirt

Apparently interior view better as exterior views you see car turn on central pivot or something.

Anyway come here and read the negative views on handling it what i expected waiting for PSN demo later see for myself.

But then again this game is not trying to be a sim racer so maybe should look at it differently.

Last edited:
I have read on other sites that the A.I seems really good on this demo! great they actually make mistakes.

Played it graphics very nice damage very nice especially loved when door was flapping off in interior view.

But then it comes to handling this game reeks of arcade yet it has driving assists which make no difference. You might aswell not have a brake in this game because your just glued to track constantly the BMW racing is poor the car loses control for no real reason had to restart so many times. Coupled with the fact the steering is ridiculously twitchy its such a shame because everywhere else is so good.

However i did race the Mustang and quite enjoyed that i dont know wont be purchase for me.

Awful, awful, awful game.

Sorry DJ, how you can say you like this, with the slating you gave GT5p makes me wonder what all the bickering was about!

Terrible game - sound is shit, but most importantly, the handling is an absolute joke.

Its like a cross between Wipeout, Colin McRae Rally and Hovercrafts! I was using the interior view, assists off and the car rotates into corners.

Then using the wheel with force feedback was unbelievably bad. To (lazily) 'simulate' driving a car, it rocks your wheel left and right when you are going down a straight - as if your left and right wheels are pointing in opposite directions! If real race drivers had to put up with that, nobody would finish.

Then the excellent 'advanced' steering wheel features - was quite impressed to see they added a '900-degree wheel - yes/no' option. Cool - changed it to 'Yes' and ... well, its laughable -

You have to turn the wheel 900-degrees to go round a corner, its like driving a 7.5tn lorry! In GT5p, each degree you turned the wheel was more or less accurately mapped on screen.

Who on earth tests these games?

Terrible!

The handling is worse then Dirt how that is possible i really do not know.

Such a shame its even more frustrating when you feel engine running around it is really good.

And the gravel trap are ridiculous its like quick sand or something you touch it and it sucks you into spin like your on ice.

Bring back the old Toca games please not this americanised pile of turd.

The handling is worse then Dirt how that is possible i really do not know.

Such a shame its even more frustrating when you feel engine running around it is really good.

And the gravel trap are ridiculous its like quick sand or something you touch it and it sucks you into spin like your on ice.

Yea... makes you wonder how much they pay some journos when they go out and playtest these games. GamesTM were beside themselves when they previewed it a few months back.

Its just insulting as a 'next-gen' game - guess it may suck the 'pretty to look at' people in?

Game is crap....how has this franchise gone so far backwards for Race Driver!!!

Laughable game, i thought the play.com Live demo was crap but his is worse

AWFUL

Was gonna give this a go but with the reviews its just pointless :( gonna have to stick with Prologue until the real thing hits.

I thought this was going to blow everyone away - I saw the trailer video a while ago and it looked pretty cool - but from what you're all saying... i doubt i'll even bother the the demo

yea its abit too arcady. tried it on the ps3 and diddnt enjoy ti that much. the bets part is the replay

Seems what I thought from the vids is correct. Shabby dirt gameplay with the cars having no grip and skating across the track.

Downloaded the demo last night, though I don't know why I bothered. I only play GTA and FIFA.

Awful, awful, awful game.

Sorry DJ, how you can say you like this, with the slating you gave GT5p makes me wonder what all the bickering was about!

Terrible game - sound is shit, but most importantly, the handling is an absolute joke.

Its like a cross between Wipeout, Colin McRae Rally and Hovercrafts! I was using the interior view, assists off and the car rotates into corners.

Then using the wheel with force feedback was unbelievably bad. To (lazily) 'simulate' driving a car, it rocks your wheel left and right when you are going down a straight - as if your left and right wheels are pointing in opposite directions! If real race drivers had to put up with that, nobody would finish.

Then the excellent 'advanced' steering wheel features - was quite impressed to see they added a '900-degree wheel - yes/no' option. Cool - changed it to 'Yes' and ... well, its laughable -

You have to turn the wheel 900-degrees to go round a corner, its like driving a 7.5tn lorry! In GT5p, each degree you turned the wheel was more or less accurately mapped on screen.

Who on earth tests these games?

Terrible!
Because this game is Arcade....I didnt say it was realistic or anything like that and it doesnt CLAIM to be a REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR when it clearly fucking isnt!!!:MAD: I actually ENJOY playing this and dont GRATE everytime I have to slow a car down to 30 Miles an hour to try and take a simple corner a la GT5 Prologue......

Because this game is Arcade....I didnt say it was realistic or anything like that and it doesnt CLAIM to be a REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR when it clearly fucking isnt!!!:MAD: I actually ENJOY playing this and dont GRATE everytime I have to slow a car down to 30 Miles an hour to try and take a simple corner a la GT5 Prologue......

Well, its not really advertised as an 'Arcade' racer - I'm sure Codies marketing dept wont be advertising this as 'a game to rival Mario Kart!!!!'

No, on the official site, its billed as 'A revolution in racing' where in fact, its far from it (unless by 'revolution' they mean 'nothing like real life cars' - I dunno).

I didnt like Burnout as it was too fast (ala Crazy Taxi), so that didnt appeal to me. I've always like sims - from Geoff Crammonds REVS which started it all, through to GP3, NASCAR, rFactor etc - right up to GT5 - so perhaps I like it more realistic.

But anyway, I'm just personally glad I got to play a demo as GRID was definately on my radar.

Its a FUN game.... its arcadey but I like it. Just like PGR4 but with Damage and decent CPU AI (from what ive seen)... If I want realism I will play Forza 2. Im not going into a debate again about GT5 vs Forza. im fucked off with it!

Cool :) You seem to be hung up on car damage - that a big plus for you in a racer?

GT5 does lack that, but hopefully they'll patch it as it does need it.

Wonder if a game will ever be made that everyone agrees on! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom