Football Manager 2009

I think the 3D match engine is great on my desktop PC. But on my work laptop it doesn't work. I have an intel chipset and it's suppose to work so they are looking into it. On my personal laptop it works but choppy. Trying to talk the wife into letting me get a new laptop. She is not budging. But if I play on my desktop, I get great performance in 3D.

The 3D isn't optimised very well at all, it reminds me of PES last year; PES 2008 was jerking like fuck on a friend's PC, there was nothing he could do about it despite having a fantastic graphics card (that ran every other modern game at full detail), but this year they've optimised the game and he can run it at the highest settings now.

Really annoying when it's like that because there's nothing you can do to make the 3D engine run better apart from wait for them to optimise it next year, real kick in the teeth.

The 3D isn't optimised very well at all, it reminds me of PES last year; PES 2008 was jerking like fuck on a friend's PC, there was nothing he could do about it despite having a fantastic graphics card (that ran every other modern game at full detail), but this year they've optimised the game and he can run it at the highest settings now.

Really annoying when it's like that because there's nothing you can do to make the 3D engine run better apart from wait for them to optimise it next year, real kick in the teeth.

maybe the full version will get this right...i dont know , but heres hope...
im particulary , not having any problems with it...i just hope its fixed for others sakes.

Its crazy fifa manager 09 full 3d engine runs fine on high on my pc and football manager 09 jerks known again and barely any detail.

Yeah again it's just down to optimisation, it's very poorly optimised as was PES2008, although saying that there is a lot of calculation going on so I could be wrong (the demo literally overheats my PC within ten minutes of it being on, the PC sounds like it's going to take off and Speedfan says the temperature goes up nearly 20c).

I remember with FM2008 the 2D engine actually jerked every 20-30 seconds, just a little bit of a skip. The amount of work the match engine in FIFA Manager 09 does will pale in comparison to the amount of data Football Manager crunches through.

What do you think of FIFA Manager 09 by the way? I was looking for reviews but there's none about.

Yeah again it's just down to optimisation, it's very poorly optimised as was PES2008, although saying that there is a lot of calculation going on so I could be wrong (the demo literally overheats my PC within ten minutes of it being on, the PC sounds like it's going to take off and Speedfan says the temperature goes up nearly 20c).

I remember with FM2008 the 2D engine actually jerked every 20-30 seconds, just a little bit of a skip. The amount of work the match engine in FIFA Manager 09 does will pale in comparison to the amount of data Football Manager crunches through.

What do you think of FIFA Manager 09 by the way? I was looking for reviews but there's none about.

i just cant see fifa manager beeing any good becasue they use FIFA games engine...
imo that engine and PES engine just wont fit a simulation game like FM09 or FIFAManager..

Also its just wacked how u can have 2 totally diferent macthes in fifa manager, if u use the Text only engine opossed to using the 3d engine.

Rather mixed in terms of 3d match engine it wins but that obvious much better animation basically Fifa 09 on pc really. Also seems to run better if i remember compared to the old games aswell wasnt optimised enough.

Not much new on the whole not sure i like the new text engine dosnt seem involving as 08 one. Its not bad game but i always end up going back to FM and no doubt i will when full games out.

Here the changes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Manager_09

Last edited:
Ok. I have some questions for you gurus. If I get WWSM here in the US will I be able to use the content and patches for FM? I have researched this and I think the answer is mostly yes. I say that because they thing I am worried about is not being able to use the database updates that some people do. Example, when JB made some changes to the weegie update. Also the weegie update itself, since it's not an Official update.

Steam. If I get a UK IP address to download FM instead of WWSM version from steam, will I get the automatic updates when my IP address changes back to a US one?

I have it. Haven't played it properly yet, but there seems to be a lot of detail. The Fifa graphics actually work well also, but it's just very slow and time consuming watching a match, and doesn't look right when sped up to the faster speeds.

The only problem i seem to have with it at the moment, is that i'm not at all used to the layout, and everything seems to be in my face at the moment, there's so much information and i haven't got a clue what's what or where to start.

Dunno if everyone knows this already but just to let those who don't know.. even if the game arrives on your doorstep tomorrow or Thursday or whenever.. you can't play it till Friday. SI have out an activation date on it.

Madness.

Makes sense in a way from their point of view but frustrating if you've bought it and got it on front of you on Thursday and can't play it.

I have a question for the FM veterans or diehards.
In the tactics screen there are quite a few of formations (4-4-2, 3-5-2, ...).
I'm currently playing with Genoa but their squad seems ideal to play in a 3-4-3 formation...only there is no 3-4-3 formation aavailable in the tactics screen. Can i create such a formation myself and if so...how ???
Thanks in advance.

I like the game a lot, but there are way too many injuries...every time i play a match i have injuries..i lost all my forwards...had to bring in forwards from the youth team...

Dunno if everyone knows this already but just to let those who don't know.. even if the game arrives on your doorstep tomorrow or Thursday or whenever.. you can't play it till Friday. SI have out an activation date on it.

Madness.

Makes sense in a way from their point of view but frustrating if you've bought it and got it on front of you on Thursday and can't play it.
i guess it has some form of DRM crap in it. does it mean u can only install it 3 times? lol

i guess it has some form of DRM crap in it. does it mean u can only install it 3 times? lol

It does actually :LOL:

Ypu have 5 installs, you can get an activation back by uninstalling it from a system. You also need to activate the game once when you get it, either by internet or phone.

I have a question for the FM veterans or diehards.
In the tactics screen there are quite a few of formations (4-4-2, 3-5-2, ...).
I'm currently playing with Genoa but their squad seems ideal to play in a 3-4-3 formation...only there is no 3-4-3 formation aavailable in the tactics screen. Can i create such a formation myself and if so...how ???
Thanks in advance.

I like the game a lot, but there are way too many injuries...every time i play a match i have injuries..i lost all my forwards...had to bring in forwards from the youth team...

Just drag the shirts in the tactics screen, use the left mouse button and you can adjust their positions there.

Injuries are being looked at for the release-day patch too :))

I've been fed up of my assistant telling me every single game "there's a huge gap between the defence and the midfield", so I've been tinkering and I think I've worked something out. Before, from what I read on the SI forums this time last year, the defence/attack bar for each individual player would effect their position on the pitch as a whole, which is why when you set a player to their "recommended settings" (e.g. you set a CB to the CB settings) there would be a really big change (for a CB his defence/attack bar would shoot over to massively defensive). Otherwise he'd be coming too far forward all the time.

But now I think the defence/attack bar for each individual player relates to how far back or forward they are in relation to their original position. So in a 4-4-2, putting a CB's defence/attack bar right down to the bottom (and the LB/RB's bar down to where it would usually go) will result in the defence being way too far back.

So I've had to make my formations again from scratch; what I do is I imagine a perfectly rigid 4-4-2 with everybody perfectly in line, then alter the defence/attack positions to move the central two back one notch from centre, and the wide two two notches above centre. Having done that for the last few games my assistant manager has said he has "no changes to suggest", and I managed to beat a team in the league above 3-2 in the league cup, so I must be doing something right!

I notice those "recommended settings" for each position are still the same though, so they're of no use to anyone now. I set up a test formation and used the recommended settings for each position, and the team got murdered 4-0. Everyone was out of position and the assistant manager was doing his nut. Bit stupid that they haven't altered them, or taken them out completely.

Last edited:
CB i just read a massively tatic guide on FM britain and they seem to agree with u...
they say that the player positoin is now altered/tweaked by the attack/defense mentality and the close down as well....

i was having the same problem as u and what i did to fix it was pushing my defense up and telling them to play offside line and also closing down almost all the picth..i know its a risk strategy but it works wonderfully against smaller teams than your own. also, i found out that if u do this pressure style of marking plus set short passes and low tempo ull absolutly kill the opositon stamina... which will lead into victories for your team...
i aways had a hard time beating smaller teams, specially at home cause they would usually play very defensive and on counter attacks, but with this new strategy i made, im beating them easily, now this shouldnt be used agaisnt top flight teams like arsenal or utd, since they have enough quality to pass around your pressing marking , which will result in your team colapsing on stamina and leaving a lot of gaps on your defesne, also by trying to play short and slow tempo, u wont be able to pass around them cause of their great marking power...
so my solution for this is simply do it like in real life, stay back, try to prevent the runs(deep defense) tackle hard and set someone to mark tight if the oposition has a world class long shooter like deco for instance(he will kill u if u leave him space to shoot from outside), and play a direct, fast pace, counter attack style...hope for the better lol
just like mid table teams(everton, aston villa, west ham, newcastle, etc) do in real life, u just cant expect your team to dominate and beat the top 4, best thing to do is stay back, and try to hit killer counter attacks, if they cant pressure (could be for several causes like they having a bad day on passing or something like that) ull be able to win and still get a lot more goal chances than them, evan using counter attack...i remeber beating liverpool 3x0 at home doing exactly this tatic, i had like 11 shots against 3 or 4 from them.
now, if they are having a good day, with key players inspired, i guess like in real life, theres nothing a manager can do to change this cenario, if there were, the top 4 wouldnt be the top 4.

Last edited:
Thanks i will try that out todaY. its been a long tinme since i played a fm game but i have a question in regards to training sessions in it. what settings do u use to train certain players in your squad and how long do u leave them training at a certain settings?

does training individual players on there weakness actually makes a difference? im arsenal atm and i have set all my cb's to learn how to train better(high or high intensive) in strength, aerial and on defence and last i remembered, two of my cb's got injured in training!

Like in real life, must u know how a player plays and their strength and weakness? i can manage my team arsenal easily as i know the players like in real life but if i was to manage an unkown team, it may prove difficult as i have no idea on what the players are all about

Last edited:
jonney i must admit im not very good with the trainning aspect of the game, i aways download some training method from the internet, and than do specific tweaks like u mention, like if think one of my strikers is a great player all around but has a subpar finnishing ill creat a new method focosing finnishing for him, also, i think its very important to find a preseason training method, thats the period that will affect your team fitness for the rest of the season...u need to get your players well fit in the preseason so u can have less injuries as possible during the rest of the season.

Surely you'll want to wait and download the release day patch that will fix the injuries and other things before starting a new game?

yeah, sorry - just read back a page and found Kamy100's post with a link to sigames confirming it...

i was waiting until tomorrow before playing it for the first time, but broke yesterday and downloaded the demo - couldn't wait to see the 3d engine running...

bloody thing froze just after the team selection screen, and it would not start the match! googled it and realised there is a problem with full-screen mode! try windowed and it worked perfectly, however, when i tried to put it back on full-screen mode during the match, the game started to stutter pretty badly and my laptop is a flier...

turned it off before that game even finished, so i think i'll hold off til tomorrow now...

Surely you'll want to wait and download the release day patch that will fix the injuries and other things before starting a new game?

thats for sure, now i want to start editing some stuff...
but someone on the si forums told me u cant edit player apperances and kits ..the editor is exactly like last year..
thats weird to me.. we should be able to edit teams shorts and socks too now that we have a 3d engine..

btw, i cant check myself cause im at work, and i didnt know the editor was already working

Back
Top Bottom