Football Manager 2009

That's nothing to do with it Kev, the installer has to connect to the internet to "unlock" the game, and all the servers it can connect to are down.

Had to laugh at this in the FAQ at the top of the main forum, trying to calm people down when they announced that there would be a DRM system a month or two ago:

Is this going to stop piracy?
No. We expect that eventually the game will be pirated. Unfortunately, piracy is a hard fact in our industry. What we have attempted to do here is create a system by which legal users can get the utmost flexibility to use and play the game in a fair manner. We believe that by putting the hard work into providing a generous 5 computer seat policy and the ability to administer your licenses yourself that most people will not feel the need to pirate the application or put their computers at risk by downloading copies from torrents and will purchase a legitimate copy.

The guys who download a pirate copy of the game will have installed it and finished a season on it by now, those of us who are stupid enough to pay £30 for it are sat here waiting like idiots. I'd say this DRM shite has caused more people to download the game illegally than ever before, talk about shooting yourself in the foot...

fm09.jpg

Last edited:
i totally agree with u...
i bought mine via steam and everything was smooth, but this 5 pc policy is completly bollocks, cause costumers like me who paied for the game can only install it 5 times, while people who get the pirate version will be able to install it in as many pcs as they want...oh the irony!

It's been one disaster after another for SI today, they're in a big mess.

People have taken the day off, and have been trying to activate their game since 9am. At 3pm a SEGA representative says that the problem is nearly solved. At 4pm SEGA representative "Sarah" informs everybody that the problem is now "slowly shifting" and people will be able to activate if they just "wait ten minutes between each try". Yeah, that'll work won't it - what, are you hoping we'll watch TV for ten minutes and forget about the game entirely, coming back tomorrow when (PERHAPS) you might have fixed it?

So 3pm "nearly fixed", 4pm "fixed but slow", at 6pm they say "please be patient". What a complete and total insult to the guys who have taken a day off work and sat at home since 9am waiting.

To add further insult to injury, they take the forum down for half an hour at 5pm with a happy smiley bunny message saying "the forum is getting bombarded so we're going to take it down for 30 mins, make a few tweaks and then it'll be alright :)" - at 8:30pm the forum is taken down entirely, no maintenance message or anything. Completely dead.

And to rub even more salt into the wound, they have been saying since around 6pm that they're not entirely sure what the problem is - then when some people (including me) DO eventually manage a connection, but get the error code [-703], they say they don't have a clue what that means either. So SI/SEGA, what you're basically saying is, you don't know what the problem is, you don't know how to fix it, and you're not sure what's going to happen.

Every year I stick up for SI, and fair enough this is the fault of the third party that they've trusted to do the DRM system, but nobody at SI or at SEGA knows what the hell is going on and it's a complete farce. When people take the game back and download it via a torrent instead I will have absolutely no sympathy for SI. They've put this DRM system in to prevent it, and I can't help but laugh when I think of just how much of an opposite effect it's had. There will probably be more people downloading it via a dodgy torrent now than ever before, including people who have only ever bought the game previously.

and they are wondering why piracy is still growing. you pay an awful lot of money for something that doesn't work. yeah, right. glad i did not preorder.

What a farce and really feel for the people who have been trying to get the game working all day, with no luck.

I have the Mac version and no authentication is required, but haven't been able to start a new game because SI have released the patch for the mac yet. Refuse to start the game without the patch due to injury bug and also right clicking crashing the system bug. Really stupid that they got the patch for the PC out last night yet Mac users are still waiting for the patch.

All in all a bad day for SI/Sega and most of it is of their own making.

Thank god there are a lot of other good games out at the moment which havve kept my occupied.

If I do manage to get into it sometime within the next year, are there any Premier League kitpacks or facepacks out there yet?

u can use the fm08 packs m8, im using yours as we speak(background pics, logos, player face)...

not kits, cause this year with the 3d system they changed the template, so the kit that u see in the club information screen is actually the same u see on the 3d macth engine....

now the bollocks:

bollocks 1: U CANNOT EDIT SHORTS AND SOCKS in the editor..so supose u feel manchester utd red is too light, u tweak it in the editor, man u shorts and socks will be red too1?!?!? i know thats not a big thing , but thats only for european top leagues, cause the brazilian league has toons of color mistakes and i cant fix anything cause it will collapse the shorts and socks

bollocks number 2:
U CANT EDIT PLAYER APPERANCES...so pray to lord your team has a decent editor in charge other wise ull end up fed up like me cause of balck guys beeing white and vice versa...

i just hope SI releses a new editor with those 2 features, otherwise ill get really dissapointed since i want my 3d macthes to have accurate kits and player apperances, isnt that one of the big things of the 3d mode? that u can see players and the kits now?

now about the pandemonium thats is happening, i think they were already foreseeing this scenario and did nothing to prevent it, otherwise why were they aways advising people to buy it from steam? i did and everything went smooth...

shame on u SI.

btw heres the new kit template, this is lyon 3rd kit that comes in the game:

Apparently the servers are now working properly for authentication.

The bad news for us MAC users is that the patch is not going to be released tonight and I don't hold out much hope of it being out until Monday at the earliest. What a complete and utter joke, SI have really dropped the ball with this and am very close to just sending my copy back.

Cheers for that Brunnoce but I was just looking for an 08/09 cutout EPL facepack to match the other faces in the game, I never did like the megapack you could get for FM08 - of course they're great quality etc. but I've always liked the cutouts, even though SI do a horrible job of them (some of the Tranmere players have a green lining to them and triangular hair bits sticking out, really naff job, they had complaints about it last year and they've made the same crappy effort this year).

And I'd love to see EPL kits in the game - I can't see them in the match engine because the camera is so far away (I hope someone brings out a camera mod), but it's just nice to know they're there.

Err...does that mean that Benfica will keep their all red kit, instead of red shirt/white shorts, like in the demo?

Well..I usually play Fifa Manager...but I tried this year's FM demo and I liked the 3d mode..
Anyway, these guys, like Konami, don't deserve our money..in my opinion. They've been filling their pockets releasing updates every year, and only moved towards 3d because they knew CM would do it too...otherwise I bet we would keep seeing the same updates the next 5 years.

yeh,, im sure in the near future the comunity will make toons of kit packs...and the good thing is that the same file used for the club information screen is used in the macth engine...
the bad thing is that with that u loose the kit mixing, that is wonderfull well done in this game...
i play with everton as u know and it works quite well, example, i play all in blue agasint arsenal at emirates, while when i host utd, they play with black shorts and socks...i love those little details, and if we put in the real kits this will be missed, so i hope SI tell us how to edit the generic 3d kits(shorts and sock) so ican continue to have kit mixing.
i think they evan added a logic for teams that dont do kit mixing like liverpool, ive tracked a lot of liverpool macthes in my current game and ive never seen them wearing white shorts for instance, whil me as everton change a lot from blue shorts and socks to white, just like in real life... this is really well done, thye just need to allow us to edit too.

Err...does that mean that Benfica will keep their all red kit, instead of red shirt/white shorts, like in the demo?

Well..I usually play Fifa Manager...but I tried this year's FM demo and I liked the 3d mode..
Anyway, these guys, like Konami, don't deserve our money..in my opinion. They've been filling their pockets releasing updates every year, and only moved towards 3d because they knew CM would do it too...otherwise I bet we would keep seeing the same updates the next 5 years.

unfortnatly yeh, unless either of those 2 things happens:
1- u get a kit pack and give benfica a real kit with sponsor and all(which u cant see in the game engine cause its too far)
2- SI gives us a new editor taht allow us to edit the short and socks colors...

i hope the 2nd is the case, cause i want to edit player apperances too! there are way too many errors, i dont evan blame them since FM has over 100k players, but at least let me edit them!

im a edit guy, and when i cant edit everything in the game i feel like i have my hands tied...annoying as hell.

There's a chance some community editor releases some kind of kit editor if SI doesn't do their job...
And yes, it's really strange that they use those kit models, when you can't really see them with those cameras...that level of detail is not needed.

yeh, ure completly right man
theres no need of sponsors and such in the 3d games, i think they just made this so u can see it in the club information screen...
but the important thing for me is to get the kit colors correct in the 3d games.

Injuries just haven't been fixed hardly. First game I had two players out for a month, second game I've just had three more players injured.

when i played the demo i didnt have any injury problems confusingly.

also, how does the 5 system install work? ie going against the whole point of the thing could i share the game with a mate?!

Played five matches now and had at least one serious injury requiring a forced sub in EVERY game. Average is two players seriously injured. So when it gets to league games, I wont be able to make subs for tired players because I'll be forced to use the subs on injured players.

Bloody joke, SI really mustn't do any testing.

Sports Interactive are "doing a Konami" on us - releasing the same game year after year with very minor improvements and loads of new bugs each year.

They've had a whole year to build on FM 08, get rid of the bugs and add the new features, yet they seem to have thrown everything in in a hurry and fucked it all up, having to release a patch on day one which seems to have still not sorted the main problems with the game.

WHY LEAVE ALL THESE BUGS IN IT AND THEN HAVE TO RUSH AROUND SORTING THEM IN A PATCH JUST MINUTES AFTER RELEASE?

That's without mentioning the cock up they made with the activation thing.

Arseholes, I used to think they were one of the better game developers who deserved my money for their efforts, no longer after 08 and 09 (both shit updates imo). I'm not wasting my money on this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is getting like Tim's Scorebox.

7 games, and STILL a serious injury in EVERY game.

Oh, and my last three games have all had the CPU concede own goals ...

Year after year SI release a game that needs patching on Day 1, it makes you wonder what the fuck they spend their time doing during the playtesting period of the game

This is getting like Tim's Scorebox.

7 games, and STILL a serious injury in EVERY game.

Oh, and my last three games have all had the CPU concede own goals ...

This game really needs a closed beta to the public seems its not been tested at all.

I have had injury aswell patch said it fixed it but barely fixed it at all. :/

Sports Interactive are "doing a Konami" on us - releasing the same game year after year with very minor improvements

You can't be serious....they have the long awaited 3d match engine and you say something like that...

A riny litle bit of objectivity is not wrong you know Rob...

You can't be serious....they have the long awaited 3d match engine and you say something like that...

A riny litle bit of objectivity is not wrong you know Rob...
Ok, it's good that the 3D engine has finally come, but after a few matches on it, it looks very amateurish and has come way too late anyway (we should have had something like this years ago).

If the graphics on it were decent, and it flowed like a real life football match then I wouldn't be complaining, but it just looks like a game from 10 years ago, graphically and the animations.

The 3D engine doesn't look like 4 years worth of work to me at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
i turned the 3d off after a couple of matches and went back to the revamped 2d view, i like that...

there was more excitment watching the highlights when i played the original football manager on speccy way back in 1980-whatever-it-was...

u guys need to tone down your tranning.
im 23 games into my season and i have had only one injury, 2 weeks by p.neville...
thats it...
i didnt know that the default training was that dangerous to cause injuries, but after CB said it here the other day i changed, and the in juries fest is gone.

Back
Top Bottom