Football Manager 2008

haha.jpg

lol, don't argue with the ref. inter 4 lyon 1

Sports Interactive is celebrating Valentines Day by patching the January transfer window data into Football Manager 2008.

Miles Jacobson broke the news a bit like a leg, and offered up some links to download the content in the official forum.

We had a quick brain pool and decided Anelka moving to Chelsea was the biggest transfer last month. Do you disagree? Previous clashes between Eurogamer and reader suggest so. [Surely it was People's Hero Peter Crouch not leaving Liverpool? - Ed]

Football Manager 2008 was released late last year on PC and, well, was as good as ever.

Sports Interactive is currently working on Football Manager Live. You can read more about that from Phil, who would keep playing even if war broke out.

Football Manager 2008 is also coming out on Xbox 360, with a fresh release date of 28th March.

I'm quite enjoying playing this with the 8.01 patch and a complete january transfer update i downloaded. Not sure if I want to get the new one yet, i'm doing really well!

I wouldn't bother, it's got some massive bugs. The new database has Defoe on a million pounds PER GAME, which you have to fix with the data editor or otherwise Tottenham and Portsmouth go bust in the first season. Fucking pathetic, sorry but it is.

And also, they've altered the code (meaning you can't fix it) for Fenerbahce and Galatasaray's finances in Turkey. They get something like £1 for every ticket sold and so they go bust in the first season as well. Check the SI forums for more gems like these.

Haha, sounds great but I think I'll just stick to what I'm on. Got a great tactic, scoring loads, top of the league. Wooo!!

How do things like that get into the updates? they take forever to release them, you;d think they'd notice.

Last edited:
Started a game with my mate, I've gone Atletico Madrid and I'm only just starting my actual season. I forgot how addictive it is looking for the next big talent :)

Had some player scraps already. Aguero was being chased by Real Madrid, I turned them down and Aguero was pissed at me. He's since calmed down, signed a new contract with a £200m release :)

Unfortunately Maxi Rodriguez is more of a problem. His contract is up at the end of the season, he has a minimum release of £16m and about 4/5 top clubs are sniffing around. I've refused enquiries but it's only a matter of time before someone offers £16m. And he's refusing to sign a contract as he wants to keep his options open. So I'm in a dilemma here. Do I sell my club captain now and get £16m for him? Or hold on and hope he wants to get a contract with me? There's also the risk I could get to January and a club will sign him on a Bosman and I'll get sod-all :(

Great game but depressing at the same time. I managed to get Tranmere promoted in the first season, but only because the loan laws are so relaxed now (I made a partnership with Man Utd and rented four of their reserves including Chris Eagles who just ran the show).

But now we've been promoted, there's no money, there's shit players and there's nothing we can do about getting beat 5-0 week in week out, so you lose the motivation to play. It's a great game but when you spend months of your life getting them into a situation like that you quickly stop playing it. :(

Quite reflective of real life though, looking at Reading, Sunderland and especially Derby.

Can't deny that.

You can argue that it's too realistic in a sense, I mean the tactics are way too OTT now in my opinion. In real life you don't say to a player "I want you to be 50% attacking, NO now 40%, NO now 50% again". It takes yonks to make a tactic that works, and even then it's cracked after a month. It drives me mad sometimes, I almost wish you could leave the matches to the assistant. I hate losing week-in week-out despite spending 10 minutes on a fucking formation.

It's not always reflective of real life. In my last game, Derby came 9th, Portsmouth got relegated and Louis Saha was Man United's top scorer!

Can't deny that.

You can argue that it's too realistic in a sense, I mean the tactics are way too OTT now in my opinion. In real life you don't say to a player "I want you to be 50% attacking, NO now 40%, NO now 50% again". It takes yonks to make a tactic that works, and even then it's cracked after a month. It drives me mad sometimes, I almost wish you could leave the matches to the assistant. I hate losing week-in week-out despite spending 10 minutes on a fucking formation.

Fully agree. The game has become too complex, there's no way you'd say to a player that you want them to change their short passing one notch on the slider so he might make an extra direct pass! The sliders are a bit rubbish really, not really needed. I seen a suggestion on the forums that they should just have checkboxes which you'd mark if you wanted the player to follow that instruction. Far more efficient than changing sliders notch by notch.

I just download a tactic made by someone else and dont change it all season because I got fed up of doing all that you've both said above.

I feel like it's cheating if I do that though. Which is my own stupid fault I suppose, at least there is an available way of fixing things.

I really do think I would enjoy the game more if you could become a director of football and just sort out transfers and contracts and that. I find far more satisfaction in bagging a Celtic reserve with a bright future than getting a 1-1 against a team you should really beat 10-0.

Have you read about team-talks and the effect they have on the game?

If not, you should, I found it really helpful.

I know that saying anything bad is a waste of time unless you only do it once a season. I know that at half time "encourage" is the best bet 90% of the time, and I know that at home you should be more expectant than away. That the kind of thing you mean?

Back
Top Bottom