First Impressions - Demo 17/09/09

Very nice goal indeed. But did you look at the Liverpool defence?
3 players running away from Ibra, instead of actually defending!

Yeah. Doesn't look like top player to me at all. All the backs are running away from Ibra. Also if you look closely, the goalie did not even start moving until the ball was 2/3 of the way in towards the goal! It wasn't as if he was unsighted either. So it's a nice shot against terrible AI.

IMO: pes2010 demo (a GC 70% build) is a far better football simulation than any other pes. the physics the gameplay it's much more real.
i think most of us (me also!) are so caught with pes6 because it's so so so fun to play you can never get tired. but it's easy to get great belter goals, defenders catching speedy attackers, lots of inaccuracies. but non the less very fun to play.
pes 2010 is much more realistic. we're just so used to playing pes6. and rightly so for years it has been the best football game, still is, but wait for the pes 2010 full game.

IMO: pes2010 demo (a GC 70% build) is a far better football simulation than any other pes. the physics the gameplay it's much more real.
i think most of us (me also!) are so caught with pes6 because it's so so so fun to play you can never get tired. but it's easy to get great belter goals, defenders catching speedy attackers, lots of inaccuracies. but non the less very fun to play.
pes 2010 is much more realistic. we're just so used to playing pes6. and rightly so for years it has been the best football game, still is, but wait for the pes 2010 full game.

This version (PC) is absolutely fantastic. It plays much much better than the PS3 and the 360 demo's and the new Tweak Tool from Juce has made gameplay so much better with the Pan Angle Camera! Wow! Wow! I just can't stop playing it. I love the way it is hard to control the ball bouncing all over the place and also hard to break down teams. The graphics on Full Res make the game look soooo beautiful! Just to remind people I was quite dissapointed after download the 360 and PS3 demo's. Ended up playing Fifa 10 demo on 360 until I downloaded the PC demo and the tweak tool. I think the Camera Pan option certainly makes you appreciate the game more. Much more realistic than the 'other' game!

The demo feels pretty good, except for the problems mentioned many times already:

- Too bad goal keepers
- Sometimes unresponsive straight from a pass shooting

PLEASE KONAMI FIX THESE!

..and maybe the dribbling could be a bit more responsive. But I'm not sure, maybe I just need more practise. All in all I love the more challenging and therefore much more revarding dribbling so this is much better than making it too easy.

well, now it's clear that this "unresponsively realistic" and slower gameplay indeed is a bug. untick "wait for vsync" and you'll have this "super-responsive pes2009 with new graphics".

:))

This version (PC) is absolutely fantastic. It plays much much better than the PS3 and the 360 demo's and the new Tweak Tool from Juce has made gameplay so much better with the Pan Angle Camera! Wow! Wow! I just can't stop playing it. I love the way it is hard to control the ball bouncing all over the place and also hard to break down teams. The graphics on Full Res make the game look soooo beautiful! Just to remind people I was quite dissapointed after download the 360 and PS3 demo's. Ended up playing Fifa 10 demo on 360 until I downloaded the PC demo and the tweak tool. I think the Camera Pan option certainly makes you appreciate the game more. Much more realistic than the 'other' game!

I use the same tool but not fiddled with the camera just yet ,what do you have this set to?

well, now it's clear that this "unresponsively realistic" and slower gameplay indeed is a bug. untick "wait for vsync" and you'll have this "super-responsive pes2009 with new graphics".

:))

are you promoting this? I'd like to know whether its better to tick it or not? I get different feelings both ways but can't really decide which one to choose. :COOL:

On a whole, im excited about Pro 2010. I've played since ISS on the N64, i did prefer fifa back then. But since 05/06 i've prefered PES. I do usually purchase both, because both offer good features. This year i'm only buying PES 2010.
Back to the demo..

Pros:

Think they've stopped one player running round a whole team for good, 08 was dreadful for this.

Graphics are fanatastic, the lighting on the pitch and the pitch it self especially.

Like the idea of players having better stats in certain positions (thats what i gather from the OVR ratio) 4 Ronaldos along the midfield in a game generally means good, but this should slow it down a bit.

Yellow cards seem a bit less frequent.

Goalkeepers seem better, AI a tad smarter (but ive seen quite a few bugs in the demo of defence just not moving. For example i through ball it, defender dont run till i picked the ball up.)

The Physics and the pace of the game feel spot on.

Notice AI freekicks don't automatically go in the back of the net.

Cons:

No play on allowance (like in FIFA) If your offside and other team have ball, play on.

Still alot of AI errors

Still think the freekick system needs tweaking. Just find it very random to get it up and over the wall. Unlike AI, who can hit a freekick with anyone.

Subs.. I don't like scrolling down, prefer that on right hand side.

Responsiveness. I hope this is due to old code as ive read. Step overs and shots sometime takes years to do which is a problem.

Skills still on the right analogue. Maybe people use manual passing, but i do not. Maybe an option should be added so you can set manual passing off and use the analogue for skills.

Overall. I think its a vast improvement on 09. I did like 2009. But after playing PES 2010, PES 2009 didn't feel right, 2010 is the way it should be :)

Last edited:
well, at least on my comp it is quite clear that when you untick it, the gameplay is how konami want it to be. i played all these days with vsync, and got used to it. vsync option was greyed, and i didn't really care about that as i didn't even have a clue what this vsync was exactly. i thought it really was the new gameplay that indeed gave it a rather interesting super-slow nature. but should have realized that the unresponsiveness is a clear bug that is very evident in situations like corner kicks.

actually, i think i could have lived just fine with these response issues. it was quite fun, although i'm not too sure if that enjoyment would have been long-lasting.

i have to say though that the whole response issue has truly been a farce from konami's side.

For everyone bothered by the exaggerated lighting (as in can't see s**t in front of the goal), I believe it's a case of too much gamma..so the quickest fix would be to go to the in game menu->system settings->color adjustments and set the three channels values (r,g,b) to -6. Don't touch the last option, it's ok this way. For me, this works just fine.

It's true.. The speed really increases with v-sync disabled. Now I don't know what to think.
The game goes fast with vsync disabled because FPS are not constant, depending on your PC you can reach much higher frames per second. Thats not the way to play the game, thats more for benchmarking maybe, the fixed one at 60 FPS is the way...

I get terrible screen tearing with Vsync disabled. There is no speed difference for me either, with it on or off. But my monitor is set at 72Hz or 85Hz.

PROS

+finally normal goals from inside and outside of 16m yard and further
+better passing
+better defence
+better offence
+goalkeepers are better
+love the tactics in game plan

CONS
- through ball action is sometimes terrible, too slow and imprecise ball pass
- i think that 360 analog direction play would be much better - like in Fifa, i hate this 8 direction play even with analog
- player animations, and dribble animations look to stiffed and not real and organic
- I think that gameplay could be a little faster
- it is very hard to dribble, maybe too much, they killed fun with that - dribbling is just pressing run button
- penalties are just wierd
- button press delay problem as everybody noted

That is it for now i think.

1.Btw what is with lobbing? With R1 or L1 buttons or? How is it easier or better than rest of PES series?
2. PC resolution supports only to 1280x1024 in settings? But when I play it is really 1920x1200... Anyone have same issues?

Last edited:
Seen it. It is great. Also did it couple of times and scored great goals. But in general through pass is too slow and often is resulted in mistake - either in direction or strenght in pass.

Btw I am talking about PC version.

Cons: Almost all these problems are in PES 2009.
1) Poor ball physics. The ball most of the time after rebounds goes to the CPU players feet.
2) You still cannot rotate 360 degrees for free-kicks.
3) No 2 player free-kicks when the ball is in your own half.
4) No control on receiving player for throw ins. They should use the right stick to control the receiving players. L1 add receiving player, L2 remove receiving player.
5) CPU can tackle you from behind, by running into the back of you, and the ball will pop out to the CPU player. If you did the same thing you give away a free-kick.
6) CPU can tackle the ball first and then the player and no free-kick, but if you get the ball and the CPU runs into you, the CPU gets a free-kick.
7) CPU players respond automatically to rebounds while your players do not, and sometimes run away from the ball.
8) You can only select defenders to go forward, why can't you decide on which players go forward. I may not want my wingers to go forward. Simple formations for corners should be used.
9) CPU can hold onto you for half the pitch and not give away a free-kick.

I know this game has one or two faults, but I've been having quite a ridiculous amount of fun playing this week!

The amount of goalscoring opportunities seems to be endless. I've scored long shots, rebounds, sliding shots after a long cross, bullet headers, lobs over the keeper's head, cheeky one-on-one lobs... etc.

However good it has been in the past, Pro Evo has always had a few faults and I don't remember a previous game that had so many possibilities. I seem to remember one of the older games (PES 5 or 6) you couldn't even score from crosses, and most of the games have had through balls done wrong, so it's great to see that both work well on PES 2010... but only as often as you would see them in real life.

Yeah, the animation is a bit 'wooden', yeah the goalies suck at times (but not always), but everything else is spot on if you ask me. I haven't had this much fun with a PES game since PES 5.

08 just got boring for me - started getting frustrated with players constantly colliding with each other - and 09 was just a mess, the movement was so poor. That converted me to FIFA and I maintain that FIFA 09 (PC version) was actually better than PES 2009, despite being a glorified PS2 port.

2010 seems very slick once you get used to the movement, you can string together some lovely passes once you know how.

I think the demos pretty solid.. At first i thought it was way to unresponsive but after i disabled vsync, it got alot better.. Still some niggles here and there (glitches etc) but it is just a quick demo and fifa 10 is the same, demo wise..

Pro's
- Graphics obviously look superb. Blows Fifa out the water.. Actually looks realistic compared to Fifas more cartoony look..
- Menu's look real nice.. What ive always loved about PES compared to Fifa, is that you can get into a match in a matter of seconds, where as Fifa takes TO BLOODY LONG!
- Gameplay is overall, just plain better! Good realistic pace..

Cons
- Need some sort of a jostle system, like Fifa.. Fifa excels in this category by a mile! Doesnt look that realistic in PES.
- Collision detection looks a bit off.. In a cutscene when a player gets fouled and someone helps him up, hes basically holding mid air, looks real dumb!!
- Running animations still crack me up.. Why on earth do they make some of them look so S.T.U.P.I.D!
- Goalies parrying the ball still looks so unrealistic.. Falling down in a straight line just doesnt happen in real life.. Get some mocap for GK's Konami!!

So theres my basic opinions.. Theres more pros than cons trust me but i dont have the time to list them all..

P.S - PES is best on PC!! No doubt about it!

I like it...and cant wait to start my ML with a patched game.

Seems to have regained its mojo, and hopefully the obvious bugs will have been ironed out in the final build.

Hi guys

Can I just ask a couple questions about the new version? Have they re-introduced the retrospective yellow cards in the game? I used to like the way up until PES 6 you might scythe a player down. The ref would play advantage and then a little later when there was a stoppage in play book the offending player. I can't believe they took this out in 08 & 09.

Also (and I may be wrong) there used to be goals chalked off for offside but I don't recall seeing this after PES6 either. It used to be great when an opponent scored. The celebrations started on screen and then 'oh no' it's disallowed for offside or whatever. Is that feature still in/back?

Do teams still in the last minute occasionally take play into the corners to waste time when defending a narrow lead?

Has anyone seen the keepers coming up for a corner in the last seconds of the game with his team in desperate need for a goal?

If a player goes down injured during active play has anyone seen the opposition (AI) sportingly boot the ball out of play? - I know this doesn't always happen in real life!

All the features above have been in the PEs games over the years but they keep removing bits and pieces so you never get the perfect game. I guess to keep people interested in buying the next version!

Thanks in advance,
Wayne

the weak throughball is doing my head in, particularly when you want to play it past your own player that is closest, you would think holding the direction or the through ball button longer would help but no...it doesnt. However, I'm trying to get used to the manual pass with the right analouge.

The amount of times I've tried to spray a chipped ball into the channel or the wing from the other side of the pitch, only for it to tamely chip up into the air straight onto a CENTRAL defenders head, and this is with players like Gerrard/Benayoun/Alonso/Pirlo/Xabi

I really enjoy playing the demo. The graphics are stunning and are next gen. Gameplay has definitely improved. Now you can't run easily past the defenders and score.

Cons:
-The goal keeper acts retarded at time.
- some of the through passes are horrible.

Back
Top Bottom