First Impressions - Demo 17/09/09

ccfc4prem

Non-League
13 July 2007
Please post first impressions of the demo here.

I'll start off.

Firstly a little about myself. I have been playing back in the days of ISS and have loved the PES franchise... up until as most would guess, 2008. Although PES 6 divided a lot of fans, i actually quite liked it (except for the stupid laggers and kids).

I am a fairly decent player getting into the 700 point ranks online and love the Master league aspect. On Top player difficulty setting, I can win fairly comfortably vs the cpu.

Having seen several videos of the demo, I have to admit I wasn't overly impressed and at the time I thought "damn, looks hell of a lot like 2009, I want to love it, but I cannot imagine anything other than simply fooling myself that I will have to FORCE myself to like it". However having played the demo, I can happily say that I was wrong in many respects. Here are the Pros and Cons.

PROS

+ Speed of the game, no longer can you pick a team like Barcelona and simply speed around the pitch and pick goals at your leisure. Even with players like Messi, dribbling is quite a bit more difficult, so thankfully players that do put in the time to practise will be the ones rewarded. And the general speed of the game is that slow build up will be more order of the day though counter attacks are also a very viable option.

+ Defending. Players really crowd you out, VERY QUICKLY. Also they now block shots better than previous incarnations.

+ Goalkeepers. They aren't retarded and don't wear those ridiculous garden gloves (I mean, what the hell was Konami thinking?!?!?) They parry shots out wide and narrow angles far more, though the odd mistake will still arise as in real life (Only saw it once where the keeper parried in front of him and the defender quickly got there to kick it out). So thankfully a MUCH improved Goalie AI.

+ Passing. You really have to get used to the more subtle use of the analogue stick now. Far more care and precision is required, so you can't simply shove the stick in the general direction and expect it to go there. Long passes are much better now and have a more... 'weighty' feel to it. As an example I saw the AI Gerrard put a relatively low 60 yard pass out to Torres (as a quick counter attack) that beautifully weighted in front of him. Never seen anything like that and was like real life, a good long passer will manage deft passes such as that. Through passes are improved too. Good passers will really split defenses open and allow forwards to latch onto it.

+ No more cheesy goals. From my few games, simply aiming for the near post will not net you goals from corners. The keepers also come out to catch it more often now. Rebound goals are out as well. Lot of the games i struggled to score, on Professional settings.

+ Thankfully now refs will also play advantages more often (I dunno why they took it out after PES6) though sometimes they will still pull it back rather frustratingly. Other nice touches are like if a player loses the ball, he doesn't simply stand there like a lost chicken and will actively try to win the ball back by dragging his feet to take the ball off the defenders' trailing leg, just like in real life. So now, even if you lose the ball, theres a chance the player can drag it back into his stride.

+ Players now tussle it out for the ball, and feels more realistic when 2 players go for the same ball.

CONS

- Still the same ol' really weird Konami music that only... Konami seem to manage.

- I sincerely hope the online aspect is ironed out and properly done. This is my most major concern. Online play is everything!!!

I have yet to play FIFA 10 so I will hold out my final judgement before i plunge into buying one or the other. But right now the demo build of 10 has restored faith, which will come crumbling down if they screw up the online aspect of things again. Heres hoping!

Thanks

its obvious the gameplay is slow, on the other hand player reactions are also slow, players almost move in slow motion making it frustrating to get a gameplay out of the demo, of course this is very delibrately done by konami like it has been for the last 4 years, i believe the final product is yet another completely different experience and it is what really we need now

Installed it, but when I open the settings I get an error saying my pc doesn't meet the minimal specs, but that is very unlikely. In the specs tab it says my VRAM is 0.

iCore 7
6 GB RAM
GeForce 8800GTX

Latest drivers etc...

Now I can only play on 800x600 what is pretty dull, I can't even set it to high.

Anybody has an idea how I can fix this?

Many thanks in advance!

good impression about pes 2010 demo but i ll wait for online to see if i buy it or not. If not I go again to htttp://www.pes6j.net again to play good old PES6

I love the strong shots, the Gerrard ones. But just belting one towards goal won't guarantee you a goal, keepers will stop most of them.
The lobs shots are a delight! Best ones in the series IMO. Not impossible like pes6 nor ridiculous like pes09.
Very promissing.
Yes, response times are a bit off. I think this is an old code, GC maybe.

Installed it, but when I open the settings I get an error saying my pc doesn't meet the minimal specs, but that is very unlikely. In the specs tab it says my VRAM is 0.

iCore 7
6 GB RAM
GeForce 8800GTX

Latest drivers etc...

Now I can only play on 800x600 what is pretty dull, I can't even set it to high.

Many thanks in advance!

Have you completely uninstalled previous NVIDIA drivers before installing the latest?

I do really like the new game :)
I have uploaded some images taken from the demo..

Last edited:
Please post first impressions of the demo here.

I'll start off.

Firstly a little about myself. I have been playing back in the days of ISS and have loved the PES franchise... up until as most would guess, 2008. Although PES 6 divided a lot of fans, i actually quite liked it (except for the stupid laggers and kids).

I am a fairly decent player getting into the 700 point ranks online and love the Master league aspect. On Top player difficulty setting, I can win fairly comfortably vs the cpu.

Having seen several videos of the demo, I have to admit I wasn't overly impressed and at the time I thought "damn, looks hell of a lot like 2009, I want to love it, but I cannot imagine anything other than simply fooling myself that I will have to FORCE myself to like it". However having played the demo, I can happily say that I was wrong in many respects. Here are the Pros and Cons.

PROS

+ Speed of the game, no longer can you pick a team like Barcelona and simply speed around the pitch and pick goals at your leisure. Even with players like Messi, dribbling is quite a bit more difficult, so thankfully players that do put in the time to practise will be the ones rewarded. And the general speed of the game is that slow build up will be more order of the day though counter attacks are also a very viable option.

+ Defending. Players really crowd you out, VERY QUICKLY. Also they now block shots better than previous incarnations.

+ Goalkeepers. They aren't retarded and don't wear those ridiculous garden gloves (I mean, what the hell was Konami thinking?!?!?) They parry shots out wide and narrow angles far more, though the odd mistake will still arise as in real life (Only saw it once where the keeper parried in front of him and the defender quickly got there to kick it out). So thankfully a MUCH improved Goalie AI.

+ Passing. You really have to get used to the more subtle use of the analogue stick now. Far more care and precision is required, so you can't simply shove the stick in the general direction and expect it to go there. Long passes are much better now and have a more... 'weighty' feel to it. As an example I saw the AI Gerrard put a relatively low 60 yard pass out to Torres (as a quick counter attack) that beautifully weighted in front of him. Never seen anything like that and was like real life, a good long passer will manage deft passes such as that. Through passes are improved too. Good passers will really split defenses open and allow forwards to latch onto it.

+ No more cheesy goals. From my few games, simply aiming for the near post will not net you goals from corners. The keepers also come out to catch it more often now. Rebound goals are out as well. Lot of the games i struggled to score, on Professional settings.

+ Thankfully now refs will also play advantages more often (I dunno why they took it out after PES6) though sometimes they will still pull it back rather frustratingly. Other nice touches are like if a player loses the ball, he doesn't simply stand there like a lost chicken and will actively try to win the ball back by dragging his feet to take the ball off the defenders' trailing leg, just like in real life. So now, even if you lose the ball, theres a chance the player can drag it back into his stride.

+ Players now tussle it out for the ball, and feels more realistic when 2 players go for the same ball.

CONS

- Still the same ol' really weird Konami music that only... Konami seem to manage.

- I sincerely hope the online aspect is ironed out and properly done. This is my most major concern. Online play is everything!!!

I have yet to play FIFA 10 so I will hold out my final judgement before i plunge into buying one or the other. But right now the demo build of 10 has restored faith, which will come crumbling down if they screw up the online aspect of things again. Heres hoping!

Thanks

Now this is what I call a good review. A review made by a person who know's what PES has always been about and that mos def can call himself a true PES player. My PES history (and even liking) is very comparable with yours and that is why I am feeling confident about the game after reading your review. I really hope that KONAMI are finally back on track!

Good review!

I love the strong shots, the Gerrard ones. But just belting one towards goal won't guarantee you a goal, keepers will stop most of them.
The lobs shots are a delight! Best ones in the series IMO. Not impossible like pes6 nor ridiculous like pes09.
Very promissing.
Yes, response times are a bit off. I think this is an old code, GC maybe.

yeah hoping its an old code well its very likely because the videos on youtube are also differ, konami do have a habit of hiding the code from intruders ;)

Where the hell are the tricks again? Like the R2 dragback?

Right stick used for pass again...BOO

Apart from that and the usual TERRIBLE crowd chants and music, i like it. Graphically great.

Nice review. I'll write my own too.

Long time football fan and owner of every Pes game that have been released on PC.

Pros:
- Defensive play, especially as a team. You cant handle someone like Messi in 1vs1 (nor you should be able to) but this year there are someone to help you. Players (not just those with good def stats) cover the teammates who are out of position, they press when there is a chance and actually read the game well. Many times if you are dribbling and kick ball bit too far in the middle, there is often 3 opponents to make sure you wont get through there.
-360 degrees movement. Even if this forces me to use gamepad, I wont complain. Most have mentioned 360 degrees dribbling, but for me the best thing is 360 degrees passing, especially long passes. Now you can play early crosses with much more precision and create many difficult situations to opponent defense. This feature actually made me to love playing with Italy and Luca Toni (definately not the fan of either). Toni is constant danger in front (fox in the box-card works great), they you have players like Camoranesi, Grosso and Zambrotta to play long passes/crosses in the box as soon as you get on opponent half. Try it out if you haven't yet, it is dangerous combination ;)
Still to try out right analog passes, should be good once getting more used to game and gamepad
-Goalkeepers. Still not great (but have been improved further if this is gamescom build?) but as shot stoppers they do their work very well. You need to have a good opportunity if you want to hit the ball in the net
-Referees. This was one of the worst problems in 2009 (and not able to fix with stat editing or patches). No more will perfect sliding tackles reward you with red or yellow card (This may have gone too far other way and some "killer-tackles" wont give away freekicks if you just hit the ball first. But it is still better this way). Refs could maybe wait bit longer to see if there is a good chance to play on and get opportunity.
-Tactics. Slider system is great and seems to work nicely as well. I tried to play with Spain playing only through the middle and hit player support range to max. Gives you chance for some great short pass plays with Barca/Gunners style. Other extreme attempt was crowding own penalty box and just sit there playing 0-0. Tactics worked well but some personal mistakes ruined the defensive performance.
-Shooting. Seems to work better than before, and now when keepers save the shots too, it is good change. Long shot screamers are back like many have said already in various forums. Seems like freekicks from further away can be dangerous again because harder shots.

Cons:
-Goalkeepers. Even if improved well, they still make some bad mistakes. Dont get me wrong, occasional mistakes fit well to game but I mean some things like when using "rushing keeper from goal", they dont just clear the ball (header or kick) but sometimes just gives it to striker or even slide/run under the ball. Could be just few times but I'm afraid it isn't.
-(Pass) response times. Possibly will get used to change once played more but currently players too often trap the ball instead of one touch pass which I've planned to do.
-Not possibly to reduce the number of players on wall. Only removed thing that I really miss (and noticed). Game often places too many players on wall (3 players for freekick from 40+ metres and even one player if freekick is from central line). Hopefully reverted back for final version.

Overall:
I've enjoyed playing a lot, looking forward to test it with some friends. AI plays well but it still is nothing like playing with a friend. Konami has fixed the main problems of 2009 and added good amount of improvements. Expecting a great game :)

P.S. Graphics are great

Did sb noticed that pressing Alt during a game makes the screen changes from full to window mode ? It's not good because you can't asign this button to the game.

My impressions :
- great graphic
- new moves
- very good shots
- very slow reactions
- lack of 360 !!!
- very good ID
- they move(with the ball) like wooden dolls. Not good

Last edited:
i think the skills are made with combinations of buttons because i've made some interesting moves with torres accidentally. but maybe we should look at the commands menu in the pause menu. you usually find all the interesting tricks there.

First impressions, the graphics are truly outstanding. They look so crystal clear and are miles ahead of fifa10.

Straight away I felt the game was really poor. The pace is way to slow and players on the ball feel really clunky. The animations are also pretty crap.

I hope this is very old code for the demo, I can't see myself playing this for a year.

I'm finding the game very slow in both overall running of game and also the players reactions. Also does anyone elses game seem to stutter slightly during play as mine seems to when the camera is on wide mode. I will wait to see if online play is working properly before i purchase otherwise i too will stick with pes6.

Good points though are the graphics are amazing and if the final code improves the speed side we could have a game to finally get konami back on track.

This is my first goal with Pes2010!

YouTube - Gerrard gol in Pes 2010

The game looks better than Pes2009, in my opinion. Passing control is a lot better than before, the team defends better and attack movements are improved.
Referee seems to be stupid in some moments, I hope official release won't have these little problems.
Sound is still poor, but Gigimarulla always makes our Pes better under this aspect! :WORSHIP:

Absolutely love it. The pace is wonderful. Don't give a rat's ass about animations. Waiting for a demo extender, and I can check out the sliders etc.

Reminds me of the first time I played PES3 (my first real football game). Not too happy with the stats of Liverpool, but they can be fixed obviously. My exams end tomorrow, and I'll probably play this a lot. Can't notice 360 movement, as I'm playing with a keyboard, but let's see what happens with a gamepad.

I'm finding the game very slow in both overall running of game and also the players reactions. Also does anyone elses game seem to stutter slightly during play as mine seems to when the camera is on wide mode. I will wait to see if online play is working properly before i purchase otherwise i too will stick with pes6.

Good points though are the graphics are amazing and if the final code improves the speed side we could have a game to finally get konami back on track.

yeah i find the game very slow as well. and funny thing, in wide cam the game runs slower than in normal long, and like you said, stutters slightly. but then again, that could be due to my ancient pc. haha Pentium 4 and using Nvidia 7300 GT. might be time to upgrade! lol

btw, has the 360 dribbling been experienced? i dont know whether it might be due to my pc but the dribbling seems to be very clunky.

Great Game.Does nor run slow at all as some are saying.
Needs big work on sound , cant believe they still have no goal
celebration though !

You need to pass more and work harder to build up attack.

Barca keeper ran out of box & challenged when I put a good through ball in.

for some reason the game stutters anyway of fixing this? iv tried all different types of combos in the settings and it hasnt fixed it

In the specs my CPU comes out as OK and the rest good - so it surely cant be my pc can it?

iCore 7
6 GB RAM
GeForce 8800GTX

Latest drivers etc...

Many thanks in advance!

had that with pes 2009 at first.
i removed a "mini driver" from the devicemanager. it was installed by "real vnc" and pes thought it was my primary adapter- cheers.

Back
Top Bottom