FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Some cool additions this year:

Firstly, Premier League fonts on backs of shirts for league games, club’s own Nike/Adidas/Puma/etc font for Europa and Champions League games (I love this attention to detail)

Secondly - home and away GK kits! Not confirmed but the rumour is doing the rounds at the moment.

What i like in FIFA? Put disc to my console and play in my favourite stadium, realistic looking banners,great atmosphere and licensed scoreboards and many licenses balls. In other game i always think why this or that one looks so poor. Looking all the time for new OF etc. 12 years ago it was normal for me editing game but today im too busy to make it. FIFA give me all in one.

What i like in FIFA? Put disc to my console and play in my favourite stadium, realistic looking banners,great atmosphere and licensed scoreboards and many licenses balls. In other game i always think why this or that one looks so poor. Looking all the time for new OF etc. 12 years ago it was normal for me editing game but today im too busy to make it. FIFA give me all in one.

That's why I quit, no time when you're a responsible adult to be editing for months

For those of you in the know, if I were to sign up for EA Access today for a month would I still be able to download and get 10 hours in?

Yes, you should be able to. And if you like the game you can buy it with a 10% discount for EA Access members as well, and cancel your membership next month, so it's a good option.

That's why I quit, no time when you're a responsible adult to be editing for months
Whilst I agree it’s lovely having all the shiny stuff from day one, this is hyperbolic.

It takes about an hour to two hours to edit everything in the other game. Mines already done more or less, took me 1.5 hours.

You spend an age doing stadiums on FIFA don’t you?

Still 4PM GMT world wide?
That's what it says for PC. EA Access's Twitter account stated last night that they're rolling it out everywhere from 12 noon pacific time, which is, sadly, 7pm GMT, or 8pm current UK time.

Saw a Barcelona gameplay stream from an event they did yesterday, and it looked much slower than I was expecting. So, for £4 / 10hrs... They've got me. Again. The bastards.

IGN review is up if anyone is interested.
A link would have been handy!

https://uk.ign.com/g00/articles/2019/09/19/fifa-20-review

The very first paragraph says "I've had to tweak the way I play FIFA this year" and my immediate response is, utter bollocks, I was winning every demo game on Legendary from day one by playing the same way I played FIFA 19.

I have a feeling this review (and many others) might have been written a while ago, and based on pre-beta-update-#2 code. Either that or it's just lies.

EDIT:

But apart from that, a largely ineffectual morale system and unimaginative press conference sequences are entirely underwhelming.

The #1 reason I'd consider FIFA again this year, and their most glowing review provider says this. Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Last edited:
A link would have been handy!

https://uk.ign.com/g00/articles/2019/09/19/fifa-20-review

The very first paragraph says "I've had to tweak the way I play FIFA this year" and my immediate response is, utter bollocks, I was winning every demo game on Legendary from day one by playing the same way I played FIFA 19.

I have a feeling this review (and many others) might have been written a while ago, and based on pre-beta-update-#2 code. Either that or it's just lies.
PES and FIFA reviews aren’t worth wasting 3 minutes of your time on. They read exactly the same every year.

I think I'll sing up for Origin Access tonight to play VOLTA 2020 for 10 hours allowed. The other modes of the game don't exist to me after playing 20 minutes of the demo last night. Awful experience. However I think I may enjoy Volta for next upcoming 52 weeks.

PES and FIFA reviews aren’t worth wasting 3 minutes of your time on. They read exactly the same every year.
Reviews aren't worth the money their advertising checks are paid with.
Of course - but it says something when an IGN guy says the career mode advancements are absolutely pointless. He can drool about everything else and I'll ignore it because it's obviously nonsense, but if he says something is *bad* then... It's got to be pretty damn bad.

Look at this paragraph in the review:

"This, coupled with the more realistic ways players turn, both on and off the ball, slows down the pace considerably, and some players’ turning circles are unusually large. I’m all for creating as authentic a football experience as possible – and something that FIFA excels in its presentation – but I fundamentally want it to be fun first. For me, football games have often been at their best when they don’t take themselves too seriously and embrace the silly side of the game. Whether that be the long-lost penguin outfits in the golden era of PES or the pure slapstick, arcade fun of FIFA Street. Luckily, there is still room for plenty of that in FIFA 20, even if it’s hard to find in its core 90-minute match modes."

Reason why we will never get a SIM mode in a fifa game. Most people + the Pro players want it to be as arcadey as possible.

Obviously my main fear is that the game will cater to kids who want to score easy goals. But that's also my only remaining hope. Maybe many casuals will complain that they cannot defend and maybe many matches will be goalfests, and if that's the case maybe EA will bring back some of the defending AI. And if you add that back in and play on semi-assisted, it could be decent.

On the other hand, for years now the demo was the best version of the game. And you'd think that if we are to get a good game we should be getting a good demo. It will be a first if the final game is better than the demo.

Look at this paragraph in the review:

"This, coupled with the more realistic ways players turn, both on and off the ball, slows down the pace considerably, and some players’ turning circles are unusually large. I’m all for creating as authentic a football experience as possible – and something that FIFA excels in its presentation – but I fundamentally want it to be fun first. For me, football games have often been at their best when they don’t take themselves too seriously and embrace the silly side of the game. Whether that be the long-lost penguin outfits in the golden era of PES or the pure slapstick, arcade fun of FIFA Street. Luckily, there is still room for plenty of that in FIFA 20, even if it’s hard to find in its core 90-minute match modes."

Reason why we will never get a SIM mode in a fifa game. Most people + the Pro players want it to be as arcadey as possible.

Is this from ign? (Which incidentally predictive text corrected to 'ignorance')
How can a professional reviewer allow such utter garbage to go out to the world in his name?

Of course - but it says something when an IGN guy says the career mode advancements are absolutely pointless. He can drool about everything else and I'll ignore it because it's obviously nonsense, but if he says something is *bad* then... It's got to be pretty damn bad.
The thing is, I like the Career Mode in FIFA 18, 19 etc. It's fine. It's far more immersive than the other game's offering.

So, FIFA 20's CM isn't going to be any worse than 19's. It's the gameplay difficulty which is key for me. IF that's challenging on Ultimate, I'll spend my football gaming there all year.

I’m all for creating as authentic a football experience as possible – and something that FIFA excels in its presentation

It always amuses me when authenticity is restricted to the presentation. They go to great lengths to position the cameras to their authentic positions in stadiums, even though your view may suck while playing (thank you but I wouldn't mind less authenticity here), but having fouls in the game? Get outta hereee... That's not "fun".

It always amuses me when authenticity is restricted to the presentation. They go to great lengths to position the cameras to their authentic positions in stadiums, even though your view may suck while playing (thank you but I wouldn't mind less authenticity here), but having fouls in the game? Get outta hereee... That's not "fun".
So true!

Pinguins were a damn cosmetic joke. Fifa street was a game outside of the main series. Why comparing them with gameplay fundamentals? And honestly I can care less for presentation if in the field you have a game that "doesn't take it seriously" the way this guy suggests.

What he wrote in that bit just doesn't make sense at all to me lol

This is only 39 quid on Simply Games, ordered it.

Hopefully get it Saturday! They’re usually strict with Fifa releases though I think?

Whilst I agree it’s lovely having all the shiny stuff from day one, this is hyperbolic.

It takes about an hour to two hours to edit everything in the other game. Mines already done more or less, took me 1.5 hours.

You spend an age doing stadiums on FIFA don’t you?
You edit all the generic player names, all the International teams too and fix every formation plus update every unlicensed club team and stadium name allocations, team rivalries ? Not to mention you have to do it again every time there's a new update, can you send me your fully updated file thanks.

It takes 2/3 hours to setup sliders and about 2/3 days to update all the stadiums in fifa, so basically when I buy the game next Thursday it will be y updated by Sunday

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom