FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

I don't know if it's just me.
But I watched @Matt10 live stream of the demo last night.
And the ball physics looks extremely weird, especially when it's crossed or in the air,looks very strange,like it's picking up speed when it shouldn't.
Good live stream though buddy

I just gave the demo a go, and I actually quite liked it. I loathed Fifa 19, absolutely hated it, so it wasn't likely to be something I hated less.

Problem I have with it though is that every time it does something I really like it ruins it by doing something I hate, like harry Kane doing what can only be described as an outside the boot 'flick', as his boot moved about 5 inches, somehow managed to send a pinpoint 40 yard pass to a teammates foot.

Also, I think that the rapid change of direction you can do by pressing lb/l1 doesn't look right at all, can go from a full-speed sprint to moonwalking in the opposite direction in an instant.

There were things I liked a lot too though; I like that you can't spam skill moves, and it's sooooooo nice going back to having the right stick as skill moves instead of the finesse dribble / skills / R2 mess that I really don't like in the new PES.

I'd still say my favourites would be 1st. PES demo, 2nd PES full version 3rd Fifa Demo, but the Fifa demo has been more enjoyable than I was expecting.

Had this earlier:

Anyone else?

Yes, I've seen similar things, like a defender giving up a corner but the game awarding a goal kick instead.

I also scored a long range shot with Mousa Sissoko.

I assume both are bugs, but hardly at the top of my list of things I'd like to see fixed.

Reactions: OBH
they need to patch this shit out

And it will hardly make a difference. First of all you don't *have* to use it offline and you can keep the ball without strafe dribbling just as easily against the AI, just wait for the run, pass it and boom. This video perfectly demonstrates the real problem: how defenders don't defend. Now that I've played it that's all I can see I'm afraid.

Got the demo, gameplay LOD seems more detail than last year very nice. I just can't get through many animation and ball physics.. almost too similar like last year. Quit the game before 1st half ends. :D

i do 100% enjoy it. it's similiar to 19 which i played up until last week and only deinstalled last night.

i'm too old to be bothered by all the little things that you could moan about but make no difference in the end. it's still the most complete package to the kind of football gaming experience i want, therefore i am happy.

Keep going back to it, keep hating it.

This was within the first 60 seconds of me starting the demo up. Some mad impossible shit happens once a minute.

This is my main issue with the game too, You players swinging their legs for strikes before they would realistically have time to process how the trajectory of the ball is going to line up for a shot. In other words, The game knows the pattern the play is going to form and for the sake of ping pong responsiveness, the animations accommodate the player rather than punish you for being impatient.

In that clip where you headed the ball, That really should've been missed timed completely because YOU as the player wasn't to know that ball would bounce and should've just been a natural mis-calculation and would've been a cool moment of natural error. Instead the game was like "Don't worry, we got your back".

Heaven forbid the player doesn't always get what they want in a game recreating a sport.

Keep going back to it, keep hating it.

This was within the first 60 seconds of me starting the demo up. Some mad impossible shit happens once a minute.

Perfect example of "responsive" gameplay. There are two more weird passing moves in the demo I'm sure you might have seen them: Players executing passes with their chest and their thighs. I'm not against any of these in principle. More animations, more variety etc. As long as the accuracy is terrible 99% of the time. If you wanted a better pass maybe you should trap the ball first and work an angle before pressing the pass button. But this is exactly what people don't want to do and what the game does not require.

I swear people think footballers are not humans but the little dots on the radar.

I swear people think footballers are not humans but the little dots on the radar.
Great comparison - Football Manager has some really weird moments (although funnily enough, nowhere near as many as FIFA) because the 3D engine is pretty crudely bolted onto the 2D engine, and animations sometimes just don't match up to what the text tells you is going on.

This is identical - press pass, and your player is going to complete that pass as soon as possible, at any cost. Including to his own bones...

I mentioned this in the other thread in regards to the UI & HUD, But i turn all mine off including the radar because not only do i like the minimal aesthetic and broadcast replication but also, Because I don't want to be reminded i'm playing a game with power-bars, aim arrows, nameplates and radars trying to prompt and assist me.

With the radar especially, It encourages this rushed football where you don't even need to be looking at the pitch or what the players are doing. It eliminates the tactical reading of the game and monitoring your players body positioning and runs. You end up just playing the radar and not the football itself and it's bad habit the majority of football gamers have fallen into.

It's like just following your dot on the way-point in the bottom corner in GTA. Yeah occasionally you'll look up at the actual picture to swerve around cars but the information on the map is just more valuable, Probably too valuable.

Radar is honestly not needed if one plays in zoomed out camera.

I turn off radar when I play with my friends with tele cam. And turn it on when I play alone, cause then I use fully zoomed in dynamic cam. Even with dynamic cam, you'd rarely look at the radar.

With the radar especially, It encourages this rushed football where you don't even need to be looking at the pitch or what the players are doing. It eliminates the tactical reading of the game and monitoring your players body positioning and runs. You end up just playing the radar and not the football itself and it's bad habit the majority of football gamers have fallen into.

It's the same with very zoomed out cameras though. If games were realistic I could see the appeal of having a wider view "thinking" about what you want to do, but thinking is taken out of the games, you're given space and an obvious pass every few seconds anyway. So I personally don't get why so many people want to view the whole pitch nowadays, it just looks ugly and makes you play fast end to end without thinking.

So I play on a zoomed in dynamic cam. I miss obvious passes/runs but that's fine, it kinda feels like you're really that particular footballer, not fully aware of what's going on *everywhere* on the pitch. But, of course the demo is just a bit too fast to be played on a zoomed in cam.

Last edited:
And that, sir, is precisely the problem with football video games today. It's all so routine. It's all so obvious who to pass to and what the result will be. There's no jeopardy. It's all so very routine.

...thinking is taken out of the games, you're given space and an obvious pass every few seconds anyway.

It's the same with very zoomed out cameras though. If games were realistic I could see the appeal of having a wider view "thinking" about what you want to do, but thinking is taken out of the games, you're given space and an obvious pass every few seconds anyway. So I personally don't get why so many people want to view the whole pitch nowadays, it just looks ugly and makes you play fast end to end without thinking.

So I play on a zoomed in dynamic cam. I miss obvious passes/runs but that's fine, it kinda feels like you're really that particular footballer, not fully aware of what's going on *everywhere* on the pitch. But, of course the demo is just a bit too fast to be played on a zoomed in cam.
I have to totally disagree with this. I’ve played on Fifa’s co op camera for years for the exact opposite reason - I don’t have to play fast. I can see all my players, keep the ball, and wait till I see that perfect run.

When a played a LOT of pro clubs people found it amazing that I was so much more accurate than they where when hitting a long ball (not a through ball, just a long pass to a strikers feet). Always made me laugh because there’s no hidden talent there, I just have the camera further back so I can see when you’re stood in space :LOL:

I don’t need it so much now though as I’m moved to an ultra wide monitor, PES’s new stadium cam is a perfect blend of practicality and looking amazing with most the UI turned off and Fifa 20s default camera isn’t bad either. Co op is just overkill now.

Played the Demo (PS4 Pro) and its an improvement over 19 for me. BUT... not a MASSIVE improvement and to be honest I still think the AI Difficult is all over the shop. I can play on Legendary and not even get out of 1st gear and win a match with the AI not really threatening to score and creating much (which was a big issue for me in 19). It feels more solid and less wayward than 19 which is good BUT if the difficulty of the AI is still shite then what is the point of sinking my teeth into a Career Mode just to get bored?

Volta is FIFA Street incorporated into 20 which I don't mind at all and find it enjoyable thus far.

For all PES's issues (it has a lot) I still prefer the gameplay overall in PES. Now if PES had FIFA's shooting..... ;)

It's this kind of thing that annoys me when playing Fifa.

This pass is just stupid.

ezgif-3-cac7b16f042a.gif

Something that really bug me with the demo (letting aside the questionable ball physics) is how static are the players not in the direct vicinity of the ball. In PES players seem to run all the time here they often stand like studs on the pitch. It really feels very static overall.

Back
Top Bottom