FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Demo came out today and after playing it why wouldnt i be talking about it? Its a discussion forum right? And a thread to talk about the demo? Also extremely dislikes Fifa is completely wrong on your part. I think its average but i would rather it was good or amazing than average. And i seem to remember you hated the Pes demo and wouldnt stop talking about it so.....
Fair enough mate, it’s all good. We’re all entitled to our opinions - ignore me I’m tried and grumpy today. No hard feelings.

This demo has to be a joke. Atrocious clunky movement animation. No pressure/closing down from CPU even on Legendary. No midfield play(constant end-to-end). Everything feels delayed like shooting. Also players like Hazard when CPU is using them just pass around and doesn't dribble. Disappointing again.

Edit: Also forgot to mention the positives. The game speed is finally decent and the AI build up seems pretty realistic instead of lazer guided.

Guys, the camera angle is MASSIVELY important here. Trouble is when i upload my fix for the Broadcast camera, I will have to do the same for the full game, and even then, until Fidel (soccergaming.com) releases his properly coded camera mods, the game will look jerky as hell.

But from way up high in Broadcast cam, I can see the patterns of play and they look smooth up here, sadly EA Sports are fccuukking clueless about camera angles on their footy games...

At no point in the demo, in attack or defence, have I felt "damn, I pressed a button / tried to move and nothing happened". Not once.

What I have felt is "why the hell did it let me shoot there when the ball was spinning away from me and my player was off-balance, with a defender in the way". So if anything, it's FAR too responsive. IMO.

It shocks me that someone could think this demo was A) slow and/or B) not as responsive as it should be.

Everything is too fast about it. The pass speed (which is insane), the AI's pass speed (which as always is about 20% faster than the human's passes, most of the time - not even talking about when they break out the driven passes, which DEFY GRAVITY), general movement, sprint speed, the time it takes for a player to (instantly) twist and hit the ball in any circumstance. Every first touch stops the ball perfectly no matter how awkward the speed/spin was.

It's unbelievable. On Legendary, the midfield may as well not be there. A chipped through-ball to the wing is a crossing opportunity every time. No man marking, no physicality, so much space. It's a breeze to get into a shooting position. No grind/reward whatsoever.

I can't quite believe how bad it is - and the fact that Twitter's biggest complaint is that it's "too slow" just signs my personal FIFA death warrant. They'll never make a FIFA that blows me away ever again, because if this is "too slow", fuck.

I've never quite felt so much like the gaming world has gone mad. Or I have, one or the other.

You're right. I've been playing too much PES and my wires are totally crossed. I think my issue with responsiveness is that controlling players without the ball doesn't feel right to me. Like, it's almost more responsive with the ball than without... or something.

But I think too that maybe it's because FIFA's animations are so quick, that my players will take multiple steps/touches when I don't expect it, so it can feel like it's not responsiveness enough. Like I see my dude take a touch, I then want to cut one way, but he takes another touch so quickly that it feels off. So I guess really the issue is with how rapid hip and leg movement is with the animations. Not sure if that makes any sense.

But Chris, at some point you gotta think that FIFA's just not for you. If you really think the passing speed is insane (if you're saying it's insane, then I assume you'd want a dramatic reduction, which to me sounds insane), then how do you expect to ever enjoy the game? I mean, I'm an older gamer and I've no issues with this pass speed. I've issues with the speed of some of the player animations, but for me 80%+ of animations are fine in terms of speed. I'm not going to be competitive at the top levels with this game, but I'm over that b/c I understand I'm not in the key demographic any more.

You want FIFA to be a game it's never going to be. Gamers these days want fast gameplay, they want that quick gameplay feedback loop and high intensity. I totally understand why that might not be your jam, but doesn't it get exhausting hammering a game that's never going to be made in the way you want it to be?

Demo grew on me a bit after a second play session. Pretty sure I just can't be playing PES and FIFA at the same time 'cause it just throws my perception of each off.

When the PES demo came out, I told all my FIFA friends to give it time - at least a week of solid play, preferably more. So I'll say the same in here: If you've been playing a bunch of PES, don't judge FIFA off one game, one session, or even one day of playing. If you honestly want to give it a chance, then give yourself some breathing space from the other game.

Think I'm done with this demo. I'm going to give PES my attention until FIFA's early release. Then give FIFA some exclusive time, and then decide which game is for me.

presentation is good, menus, music and so on. Marketing is great, selling 19 again with tweaks for 60 bones is brilliant. Ball physics and player physics stink! Volta is the sale here. But this bloody football game is unimpressive.

I've never quite felt so much like the gaming world has gone mad. Or I have, one or the other.
We're not getting mad, neither is the gaming world.
It's just that we're growing older and our idea of gaming isn't that popular anymore nowadays, thanks to the fact that everyone and his dog can get a decent Internet connection now so online is the new focus.
I don't know your age but if I had to guess it I'd say you're not much older than me, if you are (34 yo here and now I know you're 34 too, I cheated and looked at your profile) so you do know what I mean. Not having online gaming meant two things basically:
  • AI actually mattered, as it was AI that you would be playing for a whole year. Of course we used to invite friends over and play against each other, but that didn't happen everyday. It was the exception, not the norm.
  • Games couldn't be patched as they're now. What was burnt on the disc was final and would be the game we'd be playing for an entire year, like it or not. I agree that there was still some room for fixes between the demo and the final game but again, being Internet not that widespread it meant that no-one could go whining on Twitter saying to EA/Konami "the game sucks because it's too slow, it's difficult, I want to pass pass pass shoot score celebrate win without even having to think about it".
  • Also, for PS2 and I think Dreamcast games at least, there was Blockbuster. We could rent a game we were interested in trying, play the Hell out of it, then decide if we liked or not. Now trying the demo isn't enough anymore and more often than not you only get to try the full game if a friend has it (what I'll be doing with FIFA) or if you byi it yourself (and this puts a limitation on the time you can spend ingame before asking for a refund I guess).
My 2 cents, of course.

EDIT: I went checking the age. I wasn't wrong apparently.

Last edited:
Demo grew on me a bit after a second play session. Pretty sure I just can't be playing PES and FIFA at the same time 'cause it just throws my perception of each off.

When the PES demo came out, I told all my FIFA friends to give it time - at least a week of solid play, preferably more. So I'll say the same in here: If you've been playing a bunch of PES, don't judge FIFA off one game, one session, or even one day of playing. If you honestly want to give it a chance, then give yourself some breathing space from the other game.

Think I'm done with this demo. I'm going to give PES my attention until FIFA's early release. Then give FIFA some exclusive time, and then decide which game is for me.

I say it every year - Switching between the 2 games means you will never fully enjoy either. Considering its the same sport they both play a completely different game.
So as you say pick one and give it some proper time. Dont have 1 bad game then switch to the other and then vice versa.

I say it every year - Switching between the 2 games means you will never fully enjoy either. Considering its the same sport they both play a completely different game.
So as you say pick one and give it some proper time. Dont have 1 bad game then switch to the other and then vice versa.

Heard.

I have made that mistake too many times actually.

Everything is too fast about it. The pass speed (which is insane), the AI's pass speed (which as always is about 20% faster than the human's passes, most of the time - not even talking about when they break out the driven passes, which DEFY GRAVITY)

Simple test: Just try to execute a short/mid distance driven pass in the demo and in fifa 16, the game that introduced driven passes. In the demo all players will perfectly trap the ball with a single touch, in 16 the ball will fly up in the air with your 1st touch and you will have to wait for it to land to put it under control again. Like it should be. If it's a short distance you shouldn't be using a driven pass.

But that's how dumbed down the game has become in the last 2-3 years.

Last edited:
I believe I found the solution: Go to your Documents folder, then edit FIFA 20 Demo/fifasetup.ini. Set DIRECTX_SELECT to 1 and suddenly the game runs much smoother...

Thanks. I tried it at first but the game freezed. So I thought they removed Dx11 support.

But now I set it to 0 and started the game, closed the game and set it to 1 and started again and now the game boots in Dx11 without freezing lol.

Edit: Looks like they removed the Free kick camera! I can't change the camera to behind the player during free kicks anymore.. It's so hard to aim now.

Last edited:

I disagree, I go between each game on a daily and even a hourly basis.

For me, it allows me to appreciate both and makes the game I'm switching to slightly harder to play (against the AI) because the algorithms are so different :)

Ill play 2 or 3 games of fifa then go straight to PES for a few hours.

I think its healthy to appreciate both for what they are, both have their flaws however.

I quite liked it. It's got that sweeping freedome and looseness that fifa still has over pes.

However, given EA budget, this is a poor excuse of a product with virtually zero investment year on year in the core gameplay.

Also, is it just me who feels faintly nauseated by the ball physics, on ground passes? I don't know if it's the size of the ball, the pattern on it or the weird way it rolls, the weird approach to inertia, but I feel physically sick watching it.

I haven't played the beta yet and i wonder if it's worth downloading (how big is it anyway?)? Have they made the pitch bigger is what i want to know because it feels so small after having played PES

FIFA 20 for online, PES 2020 for single player. That's my way of enjoying both games. There's nothing quite like co-op seasons with a friend, had many late nights in that mode. PES in multiplayer is horrible so FIFA scratches that itch for me.

Not touch FIFA's Career Mode again - it's always the same, easy BS.

Initial impressions for me are not good.
Play on Slow normally so game speed for me is on steroids.

But the weird animations when trapping and passing the ball is all really un-natural and looks very out of place.
Played a few games on Legendary and dictated the play, but noticed the AI of your own players is still incredibly poor and don't make the runs you hope they will make or continue.

CPU keeps doing weird constant flicks and kicks and has returned to doing a flick volley when approaching the edge of the box or does pin point passing in the final 3rd to score.

The ball sticks to your feet once under initial control, so FUT players will absolutely love this.

This is by the far the worst first impression of a FIFA game I have ever experienced, as I normally find the demos quite enjoyable.

So after a few games with the Demo - I think it is definitely an improvement over 19. That's the first thing I want to say.
The second thing I would like to say is that I think some of you were overreacting with the criticism yesterday.
Whilst is not very different, I see sharper moves, snappier directions and better interaction between the players and the ball.

Although -and I do want to stress this enough- there's practically no midfield.

You can go from your box to the opponent's box in a sequence of very-easy-to-find passes. No opening your rival's defensive scheme needed. No finding spaces. No moving around the ball. No creativity needed. Just pass it from your CB to your FB, then to one of your wingers and run until you can either cross the ball to your CF or cut inside.

Having said all that: I think there's a GREAT game somewhere underneath of it all.

I haven't figured out half of the new moves, I think there's a way to finally be able to dribble and take on defenders, I did it once with Isco, but I can't quite figure out the timing and the right combination (was it R1 and then L1?).

Not enough for me to pre-order or desperately buy it on day one, but it will be good enough once price drops and I'm got bored with the other game.

Ok everyone, here is my tutorial to raise that damn Broadcast camera angle in the FIFA 20 PC Demo to a lovely high height using Cheat Engine v7.0, almost matching the PES 2020 new Stadium camera...in this video I set the Broadcast cam height to 170......a bit higher than the limit of 20 in the game.....

I was as frustrated as everyone else with the gameplay of FIFA last night but i feel getting the camera this high up, in Broadcast mode, makes a huge difference and suddenly the game looks much better and seems to play much better.

It took about 8 minutes to make the changes to have the Camera that high up when producing this video, but a few extra minutes were taken up where I was typing notes to explain step by step how I was doing it...so it can take just 5 minutes once you get the jist of it all.

The video is in 4K, but I have only just uploaded it so 4K will not be an option, for viewing the video, for about an hour, as it takes time to have the higher resolution options available (its only giving 360p as an option right now as I type this, so its got a way to go before 4K is available...)

Broadcast Cam at height of '170'.jpg

So after a few games with the Demo - I think it is definitely an improvement over 19. That's the first thing I want to say.
The second thing I would like to say is that I think some of you were overreacting with the criticism yesterday.
Whilst is not very different, I see sharper moves, snappier directions and better interaction between the players and the ball.

Although -and I do want to stress this enough- there's practically no midfield.

You can go from your box to the opponent's box in a sequence of very-easy-to-find passes. No opening your rival's defensive scheme needed. No finding spaces. No moving around the ball. No creativity needed. Just pass it from your CB to your FB, then to one of your wingers and run until you can either cross the ball to your CF or cut inside.

Having said all that: I think there's a GREAT game somewhere underneath of it all.

I haven't figured out half of the new moves, I think there's a way to finally be able to dribble and take on defenders, I did it once with Isco, but I can't quite figure out the timing and the right combination (was it R1 and then L1?).

Not enough for me to pre-order or desperately buy it on day one, but it will be good enough once price drops and I'm got bored with the other game.

That is the problem. The improvement isn't that big. The game barely feels different form 19.
But what's worse is that EA will patch their games anyway. So the final product will always be different.

Anyway, right now I'm more concerned about the things they broke and removed instead of graphics and gameplay. Do you know how to switch the free kick camera? I can't change it to "behind the player" camera. Its very hard to use the default free kick camera with keyboard and dynamic camera.

Well, at least manual passing is not broken like last year.
I didn't dislike my first game on Legendary difficulty, the ball does move too quickly when at players feet. Passing is much better than last year but the ball still feels like it lacks weight to it.
Teams formations/player positioning seems a bit too rigid to see wild ball contest that could give/add? some fouls. The CPU is really not trying to press you to get the ball back, instead they wait for THE MOMENT for a stand tackle. It surely lacks the physical element in that build (if it ever comes). The cpu approach (played against Tottenham) didn't feel rushed at all and the overall speed, dribbling set aside, felt ok to me (keep in mind I play with a zoomed in Pro Cam).
Gonna extend the half length and play some more.

Last edited:
That camera is horrible, I wouldn't use it. You're right though, FIFA needs more cameras.

It might be "terrible" at 170 height, but luckily the method i use means I can raise the height from 20 up to, well, who knows, 1000?

Must admit, at 170 it is a little too high as we cant see the crowd and hardly can see the Linesman either, so maybe 120 or so is about right.

;)

Well, at least manual passing is not broken like last year.
I didn't dislike my first game on Legendary difficulty, the ball does move too quickly when at players feet. Passing is much better than last year but the ball still feels like it lacks weight to it.
Teams formations/player positioning seems a bit too rigid to see wild ball contest that could give/add? some fouls. The CPU is really not trying to press you to get the ball back, instead they wait for THE MOMENT for a stand tackle. It surely lacks the physical element in that build (if it ever comes). The cpu approach (played against Tottenham) didn't feel rushed at all and the overall speed, dribbling set aside, felt ok to me (keep in mind I play with a zoomed in Pro Cam).
Gonna extend the half length and play some more.

Yeah, I felt the same way.
Maybe because I had been reading this thread all day and feeding from all the negative comments (which are people's opinions and I took them) so I was probably expecting something much worse.

Man I really don't know what to think. Maybe it's because I usually play on slow but the game seems too fast for me. Something about the animations in general seems off to me. Still finding it difficult to beat a man without using any tricks which is a huge deal for me. Hopefully a mod for the pc demo comes out soon and we are able to have longer halves and choose slow speed to get a better idea. Can't help but to feel somewhat disappointed at this point

We're not getting mad, neither is the gaming world.
It's just that we're growing older and our idea of gaming isn't that popular anymore nowadays, thanks to the fact that everyone and his dog can get a decent Internet connection now so online is the new focus.
I don't know your age but if I had to guess it I'd say you're not much older than me, if you are (34 yo here and now I know you're 34 too, I cheated and looked at your profile) so you do know what I mean. Not having online gaming meant two things basically:

• AI actually mattered, as it was AI that you would be playing for a whole year. Of course we used to invite friends over and play against each other, but that didn't happen everyday. It was the exception, not the norm.
    Games couldn't be patched as they're now. What was burnt on the disc was final and would be the game we'd be playing for an entire year, like it or not. I agree that there was still some room for fixes between the demo and the final game but again, being Internet not that widespread it meant that no-one could go whining on Twitter saying to EA/Konami "the game sucks because it's too slow, it's difficult, I want to pass pass pass shoot score celebrate win without even having to think about it".
    Also, for PS2 and I think Dreamcast games at least, there was Blockbuster. We could rent a game we were interested in trying, play the Hell out of it, then decide if we liked or not. Now trying the demo isn't enough anymore and more often than not you only get to try the full game if a friend has it (what I'll be doing with FIFA) or if you byi it yourself (and this puts a limitation on the time you can spend ingame before asking for a refund I guess).
My 2 cents, of course.

EDIT: I went checking the age. I wasn't wrong apparently.

Spot on, though I would add one extremely important point. The transition to online comes with the inevitable transition to a focus on competitive head-to-head gameplay, which then inevitably has led EA to try to individualize a team sport, thus trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

This for me is the crux of the problem. The online/competitive crowd wants individual skill to be the most important thing in a team sport video game. Many pros are on record saying they would never touch a team sport game because then you have way too much AI influence and RNG. But, because of this massive transition to competitive online play being the trend, EA is trying to make FIFA into an experience that isn't optimal for a football game.

So the problem is that FIFA is trying to be two things that are not compatible: a competitive head to head experience that rewards player skill vs a realistic football game. Maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel and next gen EA will be able to pull this all together, but right now the game feels as if it's being pulled in two different directions. The result is that it doesn't offer a quality competitive experience nor a quality football experience.

Hey Guys,
after playing the Demo earlier today, I was not really impressed. I liked Fifa 19, so I was looking forward to play Fifa 20. But as others already stated, the game is still too frantic and there is always the same, straight attacking build up by the AI. So while being a little disappointed I just started the Demo again after watching @Matt10 Livestream. I wanted to see if there are any options available for a better experience.

So I went to the Tactics and maybe I found a way to get a decent game! What I did was that I went to the Instructions and changed the Defensive Position for all my Central Midfielders to "Cover Center" (as in Fifa 19 this setting is by default set to "Cover Wing"). Then I set the Interceptions for all Defenders and Midfielders to "Agressive".

I played 3 Matches so far and those matches were just great. I play on Legendary difficulty with semi/manual Controll settings. The first match I played as Real at Borussia Dortmund. I didn´t change my formation to defensive but Dortmund kept holding me in my own half. At the end of the game they had 68% Possession. But the best thing was that they really build up their attacks. When there was no room for a forward pass they played the ball back to their defenders or the players kept walking, waiting for an oppurtinity. The second game was with Tottenham at home against PSG. Again the flow of the game wasn´t really wild, but PSG gave me most of the possession to get quick counters. But still, they waited and did not play every ball blindly, with a first touch to Neymar and Mbappe. The third match I played as Liverpool against Real. Of course with these two teams the game will be faster than with other teams. But even with then the flow of the game was more realistic, like in the two games before.

So I don´t know if its some kind of placebo or some typical Fifa randomness, but it would be great if others could try these settings to see if this is actually legit. @Chris Davies @mfmaxpower @Chuny

Unfortunately it's been that way since FIFA 18 I'd say. All CMs are set to cover the wing. The thing is, the animation keeps them central regardless, but yes, when you switch it to cover center they seem to pay attention better and don't let the opposing CMs to face goal that easily. As a result, the CPU plays a bit more reserved and don't try audacious driven passes straight to the forward.

Glad to know it's still the case. From a slider standpoint, it can be a number of elements that come into play, from the line settings or marking.

Back
Top Bottom