FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

I wonder why did EA throw this whole generation away?
There's barely any achievements left from the PS4-XBOX ONE era for the future.
While there's a lot to take from the PS3-XBOX 360 one.

After a few days with the beta (kick off and Volta) I have the following observations:

Volta - presented well but not my cup of tea at all.

Kick off:

Cons
- a bit slower than 19 but still has the tendency to become a game of ping pong.
- shooting and passing remains poor
- the game doesn't feel like football
- not much weight to the players
- Graphics have not progressed, unlikely they will until the next gen consoles though
- teams don't play differently. Playing against man man is the same as playing against everton

Pros
- dribbling is nice, very smooth
- AI is pretty varied, nice attacks, pretty realistic defence
- presentation is excellent as always

-

I wonder why did EA throw this whole generation away?
There's barely any achievements left from the PS4-XBOX ONE era for the future.
While there's a lot to take from the PS3-XBOX 360 one.

In 2006 Fifa started as a really bad game, so the improvements they made with the peak around 2011-12 were really noticeable. This gen they just played it safe, they are swinning in money, the gameplay is at an acceptable level for many people, why would they risk changing it and breaking their FUT toy?

I think next gen will be the same, as long as FUT keeps making them money even when virtually improving nothing. I read few days ago that FUT accounts as 30% of their entire revenue as EA company. That is crazy.

I HATE to say this - honestly, because every time I read it I think "well that shouldn't be the case should it" - but... I think it might depend on the way you play, what you get out of this (or PES).
Exactly. If i've learned anything from the footage from PES pre Demo, It's not to base your impression on vids of the way others play. I felt the same way about FIFA 19, Thought it looked like i wouldn't be missing out on much until i picked it up for a tenner, applied my own sliders, manual and slow gameplay and it was like an entirely different game.

It's obvious most of these clips are played on lower difficulty with blitzball assistance so i'm not even bothering watching or forming an opinion.

So much negativity for something not many have played yet!

Ill post my impressions after my drunken session on the beta tonight :)

My concern is what looks like a lack of first touch error,the ball being attached to the player by a string,lack of physicality and a ball that looks and behaves in a totally predefined way.

There’s no sense the ball is it’s own entity nor does it ever feel loose or out of control.

All very safe and nothing revolutionary.I know I’m going to tire of this real quick because it’s the same game I’ve been playing since 15 with the same ball physics and formulaic gameplay.

I want to feel uncomfortable again when I pick up the pad,like there’s something new to understand and figure out.To be taken out of my comfort zone and what’s overly familiar.

Audio is fantastic though as is presentation.

Not sure what difficulty this is but as long as it's not Legendary, I think this is encouraging for single player at least. I'm seeing the CPU take more touches (most of their quick passing moves involved at least a second touch), and their build up is more realistic.

Watch especially the start of the second half (around 8:30) and the CPU has a nice passing move with several back passes that then leads to a shot from within the six yard box. Don't think I've seen much of that before.

I'm just hoping that's below Legendary, otherwise it'd likely be another easy year for single player.

Here's another one. Depending on the difficulty (hopefully not above Professional), I think there's some encouraging signs.

I like that it looks like the worst of the counter attacking exploits might be gone now with the improved AI positioning, the CPU is playing a bit more realistically in attack, and I like that Chelsea's equalizer came not from one of those typical CPU bullshit goals.

Not sure what difficulty this is but as long as it's not Legendary, I think this is encouraging for single player at least. I'm seeing the CPU take more touches (most of their quick passing moves involved at least a second touch), and their build up is more realistic.

Watch especially the start of the second half (around 8:30) and the CPU has a nice passing move with several back passes that then leads to a shot from within the six yard box. Don't think I've seen much of that before.

I'm just hoping that's below Legendary, otherwise it'd likely be another easy year for single player.

LOL at 11:22, David Luiz suddenly back off and let lacazette went through, weird shxt
I think its a professional difficulty at the best

EA need to do the right thing next year, start again with a fresh engine, go back to the FIFA 10 WC - FIFA 11 spec and work from there on something. They must do this without question do this for the PS5 and next-gen consoles in 2020. EA have no choice, they have spent too long milking kids with the UT money and cutting corners in developing their game properly because the fundamentals where never perfected from the start and now they quite clearly have a game they cannot change much or do much with year to year. Its too built up and the many things implemented over the years don't flow with eachover at all.

EA's development in gameplay broke way back with FIFA 12 with the 'tactical defending' nonsense, which was EA's cop out with dealing with the super pressure and stamina exploit, which originally required them to chop into the core gameplay mechanics and animations to solve but they where too scared to 'ruin the fluidity'. Instead they totally bottled it and created a contradictory mechanic which has served as a yearly metaphoric blueprint to each game since.
You know what. I'm still want to play Volta, I miss the skills stick.

It's just i honestly don't even want to pay $15 for a second hand copy of a more broken FIFA 17.3 with more skill moves let alone give EA my money directly, it's about principles for me, if they make a game with worthwhile gameplay, then they could have my money.

EA need to do the right thing next year, start again with a fresh engine, go back to the FIFA 10 WC - FIFA 11 spec and work from there on something. They must do this without question do this for the PS5 and next-gen consoles in 2020. EA have no choice, they have spent too long milking kids with the UT money and cutting corners in developing their game properly because the fundamentals where never perfected from the start and now they quite clearly have a game they cannot change much or do much with year to year. Its too built up and the many things implemented over the years don't flow with eachover at all.

EA's development in gameplay broke way back with FIFA 12 with the 'tactical defending' nonsense, which was EA's cop out with dealing with the super pressure and stamina exploit, which originally required them to chop into the core gameplay mechanics and animations to solve but they where too scared to 'ruin the fluidity'. Instead they totally bottled it and created a contradictory mechanic which has served as a yearly metaphoric blueprint to each game since.

Every year since, new separate mechanic built ontop of whats before, hyped about, makes little to no improvement and its either kept for a few years then dropped like 'no touch dribbling'. Every year the gameplay becomes more and more predictable, you find the same angles to score from, the same golden tactic to use and the only thing which keeps people here playing is hours and hours of slider testing to find something playable for a while before changes are needed inevitably.

The irony is EA where scared of ruining the fluidity yet since then the game has become less and less free and fluid. What annoys me is I really thought with Volta EA would fully go back to what we saw with FIFA 09-11 in arcade fluid fun but its the same broken Frankenstein monster gameplay with more skills.

This image below sums up FIFA right now. They need to get rid of what they have and start fresh. Sadly i think as i had already given up with EA because i really don't think they will ever change. It's just too much about money for them at the top!

sad thing is frostbite seems so embedded in ea now that it seems unlikely fifa will move away from it anytime soon. really hope im wrong though.

i agree about tactical defending, it sucks and was a shortcut remedy for high pressing. back in those days fifa had so little player inertia that defenders could charge down the attacker with little punishment as they could recover in an instant. in real life if a defender misses their press then the attcker should have ample time and space to manevour. but ofc instead of addressing that they just said "how about if players just literally, physicality, could not press the ball directly, and instead have to stand 1 metre away at all times. Perfect!". the thing is player inertia has greatly improved since then so a legacy defending-type method would probably work a lot better now

i disagree about no-touch dribbling though. that mechanic was amazing for juking players. i'm sad they have removed it in 20

Very interested to see that you can now choose between manual jockeying and automatic jockeying in your controller settings.

Very interested to see that you can now choose between manual jockeying and automatic jockeying in your controller settings.
the discription of this setting confused me when i read it. "assists the speed of jockey to help you stay closer to your opponent"??

was jockeying manual in past fifas, and assisted jockeying is new? or is manual jockeying new, and it has always been assisted? isnt this like an overlap for the contain mechanic which auto-places you at a set distance from the ball carrier?

i'm so confused at what this is or why.

but jockeying should be a manual endevour. its a very basic and funamental concept of football.... manually track your player and block passing lanes. so the fact that assisted jockeying is default setting seems worrisome. whats next, "assisted dribbling - get to close to a defender and the game will manage your dribble speed to keep you away from defenders" ?

Out of all the things that are assisted though in modern football games, the most fundamental thing is passing (And the most annoying to me). You want to introduce some actual skill? How about less assisted passing? 90% of futheads would instantly rage of course.

but jockeying should be a manual endevour. its a very basic and funamental concept of football.... manually track your player and block passing lanes. so the fact that assisted jockeying is default setting seems worrisome. whats next, "assisted dribbling - get to close to a defender and the game will manage your dribble speed to keep you away from defenders" ?

Pretty much everything in both football games have some level of assistance. Marking and jockeying in PES for example is extremely assisted, and FIFA already made marking a bit more assisted with 19.

It'll all just depend on how assisted this is and whether that screws up the balance of things. Just being assisted alone isn't a major issue.

Out of all the things that are assisted though in modern football games, the most fundamental thing is passing (And the most annoying to me). You want to introduce some actual skill? How about less assisted passing? 90% of futheads would instantly rage of course.

Personally I'd much rather them focus on realistic fundamentals and stat based gameplay. Having proper passing error and individuality between players is more important than assistance settings for me. You can increase the challenge and the skill gap by making passing harder without necessarily changing the assistance settings much.

Really like that morale seemingly has a big impact (and I'm hearing that it's not like form arrows in 19, i.e. incredibly easy to get them all positive):

And stuff like this is why I think FIFA has a chance of being great against the AI. Some Lukaku realism...

I hope Morale works well and you're not just playing with all happy players, like with Form. I've heard some mixed things though. Reports about players constantly demanding too much play time when they're a reserve player, etc.

For me, CM this year hinges on how well the Morale system works.

Pretty much everything in both football games have some level of assistance. Marking and jockeying in PES for example is extremely assisted, and FIFA already made marking a bit more assisted with 19.

It'll all just depend on how assisted this is and whether that screws up the balance of things. Just being assisted alone isn't a major issue.

Personally I'd much rather them focus on realistic fundamentals and stat based gameplay. Having proper passing error and individuality between players is more important than assistance settings for me. You can increase the challenge and the skill gap by making passing harder without necessarily changing the assistance settings much.

I hope Morale works well and you're not just playing with all happy players, like with Form. I've heard some mixed things though. Reports about players constantly demanding too much play time when they're a reserve player, etc.

For me, CM this year hinges on how well the Morale system works.

What is the assistance with pes' jockey?

Yes, by having AI players cover spaces and intercept all balls close to them. No matter if you control them manually or not, like it was in years past when ping pong passing was not a thing. So you had to be careful with your passing, take an extra step in the right direction and find the right angle, which I think was single handedly the biggest reason we didn't have ping pong passing. The other was that the game decreased passing accuracy the more 1st time passes you strung together, which is what they are doing this year but for skill moves. So, I'm talking more about basic logic, not arguing for 100% manual passing really.

Also what will make for a more fun game that's more intuitive to play if you like football?
A game where you have to at least face in the right direction and get your aim/power ROUGHLY right, or a game where we've made manic player switching a necessary skill? One has something to do with real football the other is an artificial made up video gamey skill.

In short, I just hope there's no ping pong passing, and that defenders do not gift space by default for the sake of "manual defending", otherwise I will not get much enjoyment out of the game personally.

Last edited:
although i can't see and what s wrong with FIFA as everything look nice and smooth, i can t tell why this game cannot seem like real soccer.
it's like a nice soccer based game. But it doesn't resembles the actual sport and i dont know why.

although i can't see and what s wrong with FIFA as everything look nice and smooth, i can t tell why this game cannot seem like real soccer.
it's like a nice soccer based game. But it doesn't resembles the actual sport and i dont know why.
IMO One thing fifa does well is you get alot of midifield battles which is something i love in a football games cos thats where i find tactics and individuality has a greater significance.

Another huge issue from fifa 19, that looks like it hasn't been addressed. A single CB following a dumb run so deep into the box instead of keeping their defensive line, and potentially playing everyone onside giving you an easy pass into the box. So when EA says that teams will keep their shape better in 20, what are they on about? Keeping a defensive line should be elementary stuff. Right?

Capture4.PNG

Can someone that has played the beta check to see if we can finally add angle to the camera view? I've only been wanting this since Fifa 08.

Can someone that has played the beta check to see if we can finally add angle to the camera view? I've only been wanting this since Fifa 08.

Ha, I've been waiting for height/zoom (options that are already in the game), to make any kind of useful difference again since fifa 14. Sometimes I see people talk about recommended camera settings and I want to scream that 0 zoom 0 height is almost exactly the same as 20 zoom 20 height!

Last edited:
What is the assistance with pes' jockey?

Well for one jockey - just like shielding - is entirely assisted, in that you don't have control over your own player's body position. In FIFA, you must hold the jockey button to switch your defender into a jockey movement pattern. In PES, it's all done for you. Plus in PES there's much stronger assistance with tracking your mark. Both games help with locking on to the dribbler a bit, but in PES that assistance is much more prevalent.

Well for one jockey - just like shielding - is entirely assisted, in that you don't have control over your own player's body position. In FIFA, you must hold the jockey button to switch your defender into a jockey movement pattern. In PES, it's all done for you. Plus in PES there's much stronger assistance with tracking your mark. Both games help with locking on to the dribbler a bit, but in PES that assistance is much more prevalent.
I find in a football game defending should be much easier than attacking. I feel Fifa it is much easier to attack than defend. For me EA have the balance all wrong.

Back
Top Bottom