FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Really like that morale seemingly has a big impact (and I'm hearing that it's not like form arrows in 19, i.e. incredibly easy to get them all positive):

And stuff like this is why I think FIFA has a chance of being great against the AI. Some Lukaku realism...

Yeah too bad form arrows only based on player's real world form in general. So sometimes after a hat trick the form arrow is down. Which is fine but would be great to have back the training option where you can increase the players form while sacraficing fatigue and risking injuries. Sorry for the OT.

wasn’t sure at first but after a few hours it plays really well, not much slower than 19 using tele cam, I was expecting much slower.

The biggest change now is the ball doesn’t feel glued to the player especially when sprinting and can be taken off the opposition without even touching the player, the standing tackle is more pronounced now so you can’t spam it to win the ball, if you miss the tackle they are gone.

AI on legendary seems to be more aware of where you are and will try and place themselves in the way of the easy pass, helps with one-two throughball spamming, I like that chipped through ball has been made harder by not making players with lower stats not able to execute it well enough and better defensive positioning.

Long shots now seem less effective than last year by players with poorer stats by either blazing over\wide or just bobbling along straight to the keeper.

I do feel it’s a very early build though as full back give up tracking a winger if they get past them so to me that’s a bug, suspect the demo will be way more polished but so far I really like it

I find in a football game defending should be much easier than attacking. I feel Fifa it is much easier to attack than defend. For me EA have the balance all wrong.

Def agree. That said, some of the sacrifices we make for realism with PES are tough to enjoy for me, but I do agree that PES's gameplay is much better balanced.

Yeah too bad form arrows only based on player's real world form in general. So sometimes after a hat trick the form arrow is down. Which is fine but would be great to have back the training option where you can increase the players form while sacraficing fatigue and risking injuries. Sorry for the OT.

Huh? Form arrows were based entirely on in-game performance. I think you're referring to the kick-off matches in which the game updates ratings based on real world performance each week. That's not CM though.

Well for one jockey - just like shielding - is entirely assisted, in that you don't have control over your own player's body position. In FIFA, you must hold the jockey button to switch your defender into a jockey movement pattern. In PES, it's all done for you. Plus in PES there's much stronger assistance with tracking your mark. Both games help with locking on to the dribbler a bit, but in PES that assistance is much more prevalent.

i'm confused, pes has a manual jockey button does it not? you have to press a button to activate it just like fifa. and I personally haven't noticed pes jockey auto-tracking players, it seems fairly manual to me.

i dont see why fifa needs assisted jockeying. i am not against all assists. I just don't see reason why this specific thing needs to be assisted (or at the very least, allowed as an option online).

- the new "set it up for a shot" mechanic sucks, as i expected. the animation takes way too long to play out and i just dont see this being useful enough to be used to frequently. it'll probably be removed within a year or two.

- lob through passes seem to be more like low driven passes now. like, they often go waist/chest high. the majority of time i use it it gets intercepted by a defender because its so low. feels weird and underpowered. but i guess they want more differentation between lob through pass and lob passes? I dunno

- the new strafe dribbling is fluid and intuitive. more dribbling speeds are a good thing so this seems a good addition.

- sprinting doesnt feel like it has a proper burst to it - at least versus AI. they keep catching up to me.and holding l2+r2 to fast jockey on defence, you can crab walk like an absolute champ and cover mad space. it feels like you go just fast jockeying in defense as you do sprinting with the ball, although i havent tested it or anything. but it looks silly. hopefully these uneven speed issues get sorted out

- still weird collision system/animations. player sometimes freeze when they get tackled like they dont know how to respond. fifa16 had fluid body collisons and total dynamic player control in such situations but frostbite continues to be awkward in this regard.

- the ball still feels like a bowling ball on ground passes to me. like it's so weighted that it slides from every kick instead of having a bit of bounce/unpredictability/zip to it. again, this is much more like 19 than 16.

overall, after playing some more, my impressions are still the same: it feels very similar to 19 but a bit slower and a bit more fluid. overall i am personally dissapointed as i hope for drastic changes to frostbite fifas and not just additions to it. i still much prefer this to the pes demo though as pes stil has way more worse problems.

edit: forgot to mention free kicks and penalties. i've only had a few so far but they seem very easy. the aiming reticule has very minor "pull" to it so its pretty easy to keep it on the spot you want. then you just power up the shot as usual, then press shoot again right as the player contacts the ball (the better timing of this the more accurate i guess). all my free kicks and penalties went extremely close or exactly where i intended. pretty disheartening considering those were my first attempts with this brand new system

Last edited:
- sprinting doesnt feel like it has a proper burst to it - at least versus AI. they keep catching up to me.and holding l2+r2 to fast jockey on defence, you can crab walk like an absolute champ and cover mad space. it feels like you go just fast jockeying in defense as you do sprinting with the ball, although i havent tested it or anything. but it looks silly. hopefully these uneven speed issues get sorted out

Oh...
Too bad.

i'm confused, pes has a manual jockey button does it not? you have to press a button to activate it just like fifa. and I personally haven't noticed pes jockey auto-tracking players, it seems fairly manual to me.

i dont see why fifa needs assisted jockeying. i am not against all assists. I just don't see reason why this specific thing needs to be assisted (or at the very least, allowed as an option online).

Have you played the PES demo? No, there is no manual jockey in PES; it's all contextual and assisted. I agree that I prefer FIFA's system of putting more control into the player's hands.

It's a bug, not intentional. No way will it be like that after a day one patch.

Well yes, clearly it's not intentional. But you have more confidence than I that CM won't release with a major bug. If I recall, it took them at least a month after release last year to fix the negative growth bug...

Have you played the PES demo? No, there is no manual jockey in PES; it's all contextual and assisted. I agree that I prefer FIFA's system of putting more control into the player's hands.
strange I hold my sprint button with no direction with back to defender to shield stationary on pes 20

yes. on my controller set-up if i hold L2 (its the "special controls" button i think) my defender will face the ball and slow down, similar to jockey in fifa, to give you more precision in defensive movement. You dont use this button in pes?

yes. on my controller set-up if i hold L2 (its the "special controls" button i think) my defender will face the ball and slow down, similar to jockey in fifa, to give you more precision in defensive movement. You dont use this button in pes?
If I remember rightly, people claimed this for a couple of days and were then rightly challenged by a few people who said "do the same movement without pressing 'special controls' and you'll see the same behaviour". I could be misremembering but I remember experimenting with it myself and finding the same thing.

If I remember rightly, people claimed this for a couple of days and were then rightly challenged by a few people who said "do the same movement without pressing 'special controls' and you'll see the same behaviour". I could be misremembering but I remember experimenting with it myself and finding the same thing.

there is a clear difference between walk speed (not pressing L2) and jockey/precision speed (pressing L2). I tested it last night.

maybe it automatically kicks in at times, in dont know. but it can be manually activated.

I've watched very few gameplay videos of the 20 beta.
This is one of them.
He's playing the CPU on professional and fully manual,like he told me in the commentaries,the CPU doesn't foul,not even tactical fouls,and that's him 18 hours in.
Just by watching the gameplay it's pretty alarming ,no build up what so ever,not even passing back to the keeper.
This doesn't look like something Id get anyway

There is a seperate Jockey command in PES, bottom of the blue column...

https://dds.konami.com/games/manual/pes2019/PS4/en/control_player.html

Basically it manually engages the 'crabbing' animation you can do with just the left stick sometimes. Konami don't advertise it as a main key control for some reason.

CPU doesn't foul,not even tactical fouls,and that's him 18 hours in.
Thats me out. They can go fuck themselves. If AI was decent and the game had basic elements of the sport its supposed to represent - id consider it.
Also, sorry guys, but graphically it looks diabolical this year. Amazing how such huge company can release something like this in 2020.

Last edited:
Thats me out. They can go fuck themselves. If AI was decent and the game had basic elements of the sport its supposed to represent - id consider it.
Also, sorry guys, but graphically it looks diabolical this year. Amazing how such huge company can release something like this in 2020.
I got pretty shocked myself,haven't watched much so far from the beta,but this is really poor,I know they'll probably nerf it with patches,but the fundamentals play like this,plus the strange ai movement,I'm not touching this,rather play fifa 18 if I need a fifa fix

Well that's probably me out for good with you guys too.

I mean it's not just no fouls (which is already big), it's that the more I watch videos the more I see nothing hyping the game for me. Unless there is something really big underlying these gameplays, I can't justify buy this game when I played 30 hours or something Fifa 19.

Then if pad in hands you'll have some uncanny individuality or team ID, or fresh sensation, I can't know. As of now I'd rather replay 16 or 17.

Well that's probably me out for good with you guys too.

I mean it's not just no fouls (which is already big), it's that the more I watch videos the more I see nothing hyping the game for me. Unless there is something really big underlying these gameplays, I can't justify buy this game when I played 30 hours or something Fifa 19.

Then if pad in hands you'll have some uncanny individuality or team ID, or fresh sensation, I can't know. As of now I'd rather replay 16 or 17.
I can somehow tolerate/a cept a game with few fouls,I'm playing Pes 18 ML (more fouls than I thought)but not having an ai that builds up their play properly is a no go.
But for me,the poor animation when moving will deffo be me not touching it.
Played my trusty FIFA 17 last night,can't believe how bad it's been since then.

And I'd rather have two very good games no matter what they're called than 1 or none.
Really sad

Back
Top Bottom