FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Can somebody check to see how many Italian teams are licensed and if the new bundesliga stadiums have been added

I'm definitely getting older. I can't feel any appeal or hype watching this stuff. And it comes from somebody who would kill for a proper 5 v 5 game.

By the way if it will seriously help separate the arcade from a more sim game, I'll cheer for it to do well.

Just doubt it will be the case anyway..

I'm definitely getting older. I can't feel any appeal or hype watching this stuff. And it comes from somebody who would kill for a proper 5 v 5 game.

By the way if it will seriously help separate the arcade from a more sim game, I'll cheer for it to do well.

How would it help to split it when it was splat from the beginning and now they merged it?.

VOLTA was it's own game, called FIFA STREET.
Then they ditched the whole project because it wasn't getting enough attention.
Then they introduced THE JOURNEY to FIFA. With 3 seasons of that mini-soap opera.
Then, they ended the THE JOURNEY. And since they have no interest whatsoever in taking FIFA to the next level in terms of gameplay, animations, transitions between animations, graphics, etc they decided it was a ground-breaking idea to bring back FIFA STREET but this time as game mode and call it VOLTA.

Splitting it back apart, would be the dumbest idEA ever.

Exactly this ^

The game has played and looked like shit since Frostbite IMO.

It’s bizarre that EA persist with it. Can’t they have a dedicated engine created for FIFA? Surely it’s their biggest franchise and highest selling title? (I’m speculating here.)
Fifa has never really been an outstanding looking game but the move to Frostbite improved the graphics slightly going by this vid and other comparisons i looked at.

To me looking in it seems to me it's down to the devs not fully getting to grips with the engine but i'd question how much they are using Frostbite as it's 95% the exact same as the old engine? Also id say at EA there is no real appetite to make the game look that much better and are happy to plod along for 6-7 years of current gen until the nxt-gen arrives?

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Personally I have two main concerns:

• First, just how is defending now? Are balls going back to attackers? What's the balance like between manual and AI? Most importantly, is the AI strong in defense?
    Two is can you tell any difference in the overall challenge? Is it (hopefully) more difficult this year, especially when attacking against the CPU?
Thanks man. Look forward to hearing your impressions.

Defendings fun if you dive or rush in you will get caught out with them suddenly be through on goal.
Like the deflections from keepers the ball seems a lot more random on who it drips too.

The game being slowed down makes it more challenging plus my team is slow so will have to see how easy it is when I inject some pace plus I played weaker sides in preseason.

As far as what’s in the game licensed you will have to wait and see I think, Forest are still using last years shirts
Some players are missing names and faces as are some stadiums

What do you make of the CPU AI? In fifa 16/17 they build up normally and it felt like a football match but in fifa 18/19 it was mostly everyone bombing forward or 1 pass to their striker. Is there any midfield or is it just final third action?

You should definitely try the EPL too at some point, because fifa 19 was also quite decent when playing in a lower league, but it got silly fast with top teams.

I'd also look for any changes to the tactical system. 19 was plagued with teams that refused to press and let you play keep ball even when losing (I could spam ground passes with my eyes closed and I'd hold on to the win, assuming I didn't fall asleep), while other teams pressed like mad even when winning.

I’ll let you know more as I play in the premier as far as AI
Yes I started 19 as Forest Green at the lowest tier it was a lot of fun. But limited time with this so starting at the top

must be my age too:DOH:

Lots of mixed impressions out there. Sounds like those who want more realistic football are more pleased than those who want more fast paced attacking gameplay. I'll just say that I enjoyed last year's beta more than the final release, so my confidence isn't super high that EA won't speed the game up and make attacking play easier come the full release.

This guys' been posting some encouraging stuff though. I recommend checking out his other posts too.

Lots of mixed impressions out there. Sounds like those who want more realistic football are more pleased than those who want more fast paced attacking gameplay. I'll just say that I enjoyed last year's beta more than the final release, so my confidence isn't super high that EA won't speed the game up and make attacking play easier come the full release.

This guys' been posting some encouraging stuff though. I recommend checking out his other posts too.

Been watching some FUT Beta streams and I'm not seeing any proper football. Still looks like end-to-end non-stop counter-attacking football, but with better tackling and some other improvements.

Haven't seen any CM gameplay streams yet but hopefully that gameplay is better.

You answered it yourself: "Been watching some FUT Beta streams"

Nice, betting there's no new sliders though :(

I know. I saw that FUT dude talking about needing to play proper football, so had to check it out. Def noticed improvements but yeah, just end-to-end affairs with zero buildup.

About six game into a CM with Liverpool, none of the new bells and whistles (create your manager, pre- and post-match press conferences) add much to the experience. Plays okay, a bit slower as others have mentioned, but some familiar frustrations in terms of gameplay. Players out of position, AI stupidity, pacier players failing to really pull away from defenders 1v1, etc. Yet to really notice the newer ball physics or looseness/randomness that's been talked about but looking to string a couple hours together tonight after everyone's in bed for more complete impressions.

I've seen people posting clips of PES 2020 on Twitter and the way they play makes it look like the worst laser-guided no-build-up OP-dribbling easy-cutback-goal garbage game going - and all the clips up to the demo looked the same as 2019, but we all know how highly 2020 is regarded right now across the board.

I watched a friend playing earlier and it looked pretty great from an AI perspective. Real difference between playing a League One game (0-0) vs a La Liga game, where Barcelona REALLY dominated (5-0 winners, Barca being the AI) and dribblers really shone, for example.

I HATE to say this - honestly, because every time I read it I think "well that shouldn't be the case should it" - but... I think it might depend on the way you play, what you get out of this (or PES).

I've seen people posting clips of PES 2020 on Twitter and the way they play makes it look like the worst laser-guided no-build-up OP-dribbling easy-cutback-goal garbage game going - and all the clips up to the demo looked the same as 2019, but we all know how highly 2020 is regarded right now across the board.

I watched a friend playing earlier and it looked pretty great from an AI perspective. Real difference between playing a League One game (0-0) vs a La Liga game, where Barcelona REALLY dominated (5-0 winners, Barca being the AI) and dribblers really shone, for example.

I HATE to say this - honestly, because every time I read it I think "well that shouldn't be the case should it" - but... I think it might depend on the way you play, what you get out of this (or PES).

Earlier today I watched two Twitch streams of single player gameplay on Legendary. One dude played more like I played and I thought the game looked impressive. The other dude was awful, just constant sprinting and passing forward with zero interest in buildup play and the game looked awful.

For me FIFA always looks way worse than it plays, and that's exaggerated by how people play, which is too often nothing like proper football.

But with that said, the way players move like they are made of mashed potatoes looks as bad as ever. lol. dreadful movement/animations.
Couldn't agree more. All those twitchy arms/legs start to look unacceptable and truly off-putting for a 2020 game. Nobody pretends Rush Football but for fuck sake, I refuse to believe it's the best they can do.

Agree with you both but only to an extent, over a certain silliness threshold and it's a pointless battle trying different pass settings and sliders trying to fix things. And if basic player logic and positioning is screwed you might as well give up, it won't matter how you play (for example the fullbacks in fifa 19, or AI controlled players totally uninterested in a loose ball that's close to them, as seen in the pes 20 demo).

Another example is passing in fifa 18. Common wisdom says that you should try to block passing lanes, but in fifa 18 it wouldn't matter, you would get nutmegged anyway so that the CPU could play his pass to the striker and skip all build-up. So fifa 18 was utter trash no matter how you tried to play it.

Last edited:
And if basic player logic and positioning is screwed you might as well give up, it won't matter how you play (for example the fullbacks in fifa 19, or AI controlled players totally uninterested in a loose ball that's close to them, as seen in the pes 20 demo).
You're right, of course. The quality of the game isn't entirely driven by user input. But, I will say, in one of the games I watched earlier, a Carlisle player (AI) ran towards the ball-carrier (getting about 6ft away) and then stopped - which initially made me think "oh God no" - until he ended up tracking the ball carrier from a safer distance (around 15ft) instead and then throwing himself at a shot to completely end the danger.

It may have been a glitch that ended well, or an entirely intentional development in the play. I can't say for sure either way.

But, in general, positioning etc. seems much better to me. What doesn't seem much better are the AI attacks, which seemed to be a smash to a winger too often (changing the LB/RB to "aggressive interceptions" made a big difference), but I'd say that's better than AI ping-ponging from 19 (although not ideal, obviously).

The real trouble is that, apparently, on the beta feedback forums, the vast majority of posts are crying about the speed being too slow (which is obviously bollocks, it's too fast if anything, until you put it on "slow"). I can't see it being the same at release.

You're right, of course. The quality of the game isn't entirely driven by user input. But, I will say, in one of the games I watched earlier, a Carlisle player (AI) ran towards the ball-carrier (getting about 6ft away) and then stopped - which initially made me think "oh God no" - until he ended up tracking the ball carrier from a safer distance (around 15ft) instead and then throwing himself at a shot to completely end the danger.

It may have been a glitch that ended well, or an entirely intentional development in the play. I can't say for sure either way.

But, in general, positioning etc. seems much better to me. What doesn't seem much better are the AI attacks, which seemed to be a smash to a winger too often (changing the LB/RB to "aggressive interceptions" made a big difference), but I'd say that's better than AI ping-ponging from 19 (although not ideal, obviously).

The real trouble is that, apparently, on the beta feedback forums, the vast majority of posts are crying about the speed being too slow (which is obviously bollocks, it's too fast if anything, until you put it on "slow"). I can't see it being the same at release.

Same happened last year. My favorite part of the FIFA 19 beta was how much improved the teammate AI defending was, but of course that was all nerfed for release. Just gotta hope EA sticks to its guns I guess.

At least we can tell those who say it's too slow to go play Volta lol

Looks so bad

Also why does the ball look so small again, and perfectly white. Looks like they are playing with a ping pong ball

Ball physics don't look improved at all. Weird bounces, it's like too heavy, it slows down with short passes like the pitch is muddy and then floats like a balloon on long passes.

Far from what i would expect. Until they can fix that i just can't enojy Fifa.

The ball trajectory after that deflection at 6:20 doesn't look natural at all.

I'm with you on that one,doesn't change the fundamentals etc,but of course your input triggers the AI,probably written that a bunch of times,often shot down by various guys.
So for people not onboard with your/my statement.
1 try backing down,cover lanes,only pressure when really needed.
Or
2 chase the CPU around, spam your sprint button both in offense and when defending.
Outcome?
Two separate games!

Last edited:

Every single year, these sorts of people moan about the game being "too slow" until they're blue in the face. The irony is that they'll be the first to spew up an indecipherable diatribe about how FIFA as a series hasn't progressed and that the game is unbalanced, unfair and stale.

I've noticed a lot of the FUT types are reluctant and dare I say unwilling to adapt to an unfamiliar philosophy ("what do you mean I have to pass the ball around")? Waves of complaints about how "boring" it is that they have to adhere to some semblance of realism in regards to the sport in which FIFA is attempting to virtually replicate. That is until they patch it to hell and back resulting in the retail release being a shadow of the demo/release version. They'll initially cheer and hail the changes as a great victory, but later go on to realize the current incarnation of the game is about as appetizing as a plate of mushy pies that's been used as a homeless man's ass cushion for the past week. Summer rolls around and *snaps finger* just like that, collective amnesia amongst the FUT loving ranks. They have no self-awareness and the boom-bust cycle is oh-so predictable.

I've said it many times, but I thoroughly enjoyed the FIFA 19 demo and its initial release. At the time (this applies to FIFA 18 as well), I thought the game looked abysmal during pre-release. Thought it looked too similar to previous iterations, but ended up loving it. To my surprise, EA impressed me with last year's demo (despite all of the obvious faults), so we'll see. I haven't abandoned all hope yet.

I will say EA has some serious catching up to do in the next few years in certain areas. That's been the case for several years, but with the improvements to PES 2020, FIFA is really showing its age.

Oh, and fuck the Frostbite engine.

Couldn't agree more. All those twitchy arms/legs start to look unacceptable and truly off-putting for a 2020 game. Nobody pretends Rush Football but for fuck sake, I refuse to believe it's the best they can do.

The day EA implements player models that resemble actual human-beings will be a day to remember.

Last edited:
Can somebody check to see how many Italian teams are licensed and if the new bundesliga stadiums have been added

You know what. I'm still want to play Volta, I miss the skills stick.

It's just i honestly don't even want to pay $15 for a second hand copy of a more broken FIFA 17.3 with more skill moves let alone give EA my money directly, it's about principles for me, if they make a game with worthwhile gameplay, then they could have my money.

EA need to do the right thing next year, start again with a fresh engine, go back to the FIFA 10 WC - FIFA 11 spec and work from there on something. They must do this without question do this for the PS5 and next-gen consoles in 2020. EA have no choice, they have spent too long milking kids with the UT money and cutting corners in developing their game properly because the fundamentals where never perfected from the start and now they quite clearly have a game they cannot change much or do much with year to year. Its too built up and the many things implemented over the years don't flow with eachover at all.

EA's development in gameplay broke way back with FIFA 12 with the 'tactical defending' nonsense, which was EA's cop out with dealing with the super pressure and stamina exploit, which originally required them to chop into the core gameplay mechanics and animations to solve but they where too scared to 'ruin the fluidity'. Instead they totally bottled it and created a contradictory mechanic which has served as a yearly metaphoric blueprint to each game since.

Every year since, new separate mechanic built ontop of whats before, hyped about, makes little to no improvement and its either kept for a few years then dropped like 'no touch dribbling'. Every year the gameplay becomes more and more predictable, you find the same angles to score from, the same golden tactic to use and the only thing which keeps people here playing is hours and hours of slider testing to find something playable for a while before changes are needed inevitably.

The irony is EA where scared of ruining the fluidity yet since then the game has become less and less free and fluid. What annoys me is I really thought with Volta EA would fully go back to what we saw with FIFA 09-11 in arcade fluid fun but its the same broken Frankenstein monster gameplay with more skills.

This image below sums up FIFA right now. They need to get rid of what they have and start fresh. Sadly i think as i had already given up with EA because i really don't think they will ever change. It's just too much about money for them at the top!

rarsk6xr3sq11.jpg

Back
Top Bottom