FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

there has not been any confirmation regarding bundesliga so far. some people (with no credibility from my point of view) claim that all stadiums will be in game, others say just some.
a lot of times the concern is raised that the bundesliga rights do not include rights to every single stadium, as many in germany are co-owned by the club and the respective city. therefore negotiations would have to go down for every club that case applies.

i am really curious to see what happens this year...

oh and: when are we going to get ANY news whatsoever? it's been pitch black since E3

Some guys from the German playtest are talking about gameplay...

EDIT 1: @PRO_TOO has very kindly provided a brief translation for us:

Off the ball - he’s just repeating what the devs said at the event. AI controlled team mates will be more intelligent. But he did not see it when he played the test version.
On the ball - you can lay off the ball in offense and defense for a few centimeters, take a step and then kick it further away and harder (sounded like in PES).
Dribbling - dribbling with R1 should be improved (said the devs).
For set pieces you can not just add curve with LS, you can now actively add dip or raise to it with RS!
Penalties - more like the old days. Not only the current system but one where you can aim without the arrow but with a marker and shot power then not defining height but power (similar to PES).
Timed finishing is in penalties now as well (which makes the marker again smaller when done well).

EDIT 2: Also, there's a French article but it doesn't really say much we don't already know...

FootballStories: FIFA 20 Gameplay Test

Last edited:
there has not been any confirmation regarding bundesliga so far. some people (with no credibility from my point of view) claim that all stadiums will be in game, others say just some.
a lot of times the concern is raised that the bundesliga rights do not include rights to every single stadium, as many in germany are co-owned by the club and the respective city. therefore negotiations would have to go down for every club that case applies.

i am really curious to see what happens this year...

oh and: when are we going to get ANY news whatsoever? it's been pitch black since E3

Loads of people were claiming this last year too and it turned out to not be true. That video is just someone looking for views in my opinion. Sheff Utd ground is a given and the new Spanish ones are likely but the rest is just guess work and some pretty poor guesses at that in my opinion. Apart from the MLS I'd be amazed if they put in any new non Euro stadiums.

BBC article on FIFA 20:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/48963783

Claiming the game is going to be much slower than previous years and it is going to feel very different to FIFA 19.

Until they patch it after 2 weeks because the FUT player hate the new game and EA return the game to FIFA 19.5
I'm pretty sure that's written by a kid (and one who hasn't played the game).

A) It's in the CBBC bit, B) he says "the FIFA" instead of just FIFA (what's that all about?) and C) he says the AI defenders have been nerfed, then says "they made loads of stupid mistakes last year so that's a relief". You've literally just said they're getting more stupid...

Regarding football grounds, I think we should have pitches that reflect league 1 & 2. A bit cut up rough. I never played 'The Journey' before but I did enjoy the United vs Coventry starter in the mud. We need some of this.

First impressions from this guy:

Yuck.

Also, check these out:

Daily Mirror: FIFA 20 Preview

FourFourTwo: FIFA 20 Developer Interview

Just remember this is almost definitely speaking to FUT and online, where one of the biggest complaints this past year was how hard it was to score "good" goals. Really easy to score cheap goals, and of course from exploits, but at the higher levels I think folks want more "earned" goals.

Still super worrisome considering some of us have to use big slider adjustments to keep goals down in single player, but as long as they balance things by tightening up the defensive features and AI, it could be an improvement.

Honestly, I think a good bit of what they say they're trying to accomplish could be done just by cutting the bloody run frequency by at least half, but whatever. Can't really trust any of this marketing BS right now anyways.

Like I'm really suppose to believe the game is actually going to be slower this year...

I switched back to FIFA in 2009. I can't remember a year where people didn't say "it's finally slower" before the release of the new game...in the end EA always made it faster patch by patch.

Assistance is the worst. Every year, for both games, everbody claims theres far less assistance, much more error, you actually need to aim your passes etc.

It's never, ever true

Assistance is the worst. Every year, for both games, everbody claims theres far less assistance, much more error, you actually need to aim your passes etc.

It's never, ever true

There's nothing wrong with assistance (and I don't recall people claiming every year that the assistance settings had been changed). If we were talking about a shooter, then yeah, fine.

The problem is the lack of error (especially with first time shots, crosses, and passes), the wide open players, the poor run tracking, the near constant forward movement of players, the perfect first touches, the lack of aggression by defenders, etc.

I play with default assistance, and through sliders I'm able to substantially increase the challenge of attacking play. If the true problem was assistance, and not all the factors I just alluded to, then I wouldn't be able to increase the level of attacking difficulty and realism with sliders alone.

Nothing against manual, but FIFA's input settings are WAY down the list of issues.... if it's on the list at all.

There's nothing wrong with assistance (and I don't recall people claiming every year that the assistance settings had been changed). If we were talking about a shooter, then yeah, fine.

Really? I hear it every year. Especially for PES

The problem is the lack of error (especially with first time shots, crosses, and passes), the wide open players, the poor run tracking, the near constant forward movement of players, the perfect first touches, the lack of aggression by defenders, etc.

I agree these are all problems. theyre not nessescarily the biggest problems for me personally though, as some of them are lessened as problems when playing full manual, eg. more eror on passes is not as nessescary because the aiming part is hard enough that it produces its own erorrs. And some of them are lessened when playing vs human oppenents, eg. the aggression of defenders is largely determined by the user, not the ai

I play with default assistance, and through sliders I'm able to substantially increase the challenge of attacking play. If the true problem was assistance, and not all the factors I just alluded to, then I wouldn't be able to increase the level of attacking difficulty and realism with sliders alone.

For me the issue is not increasing attacking difficulty, the issue is lack of variety and control in play when using assisted controls. When you play assisted youre locked into the playing patterns of the assistance rather than your own vision and skill, which harms both the fun and the realism.

I don't argue that everyone that everyone should play full manual because I know it's not for everyone.

But I think for more realistic gameplay generaly people would benefit from turning some stuff to manual (through balls, air balls) and semi-assisted (crossing, shooting, probably passing too). The way fully assisted works in fifa right now is just too stifling imo and doesn't reflect realism.

But ultimately it's all subjective

Nothing against manual, but FIFA's input settings are WAY down the list of issues.... if it's on the list at all.

I disagree. IMO Probably the two bigest and most important things in FIFA that need reworked are the high level of assistance as a base in online play, and the game's defending system

Gamers will notice the change in ball physics as soon as they play the demo, as courtesy of an all-new motion system, there are more realistic movements with regards to the ball - which will deviate and spin from bumps on the pitch thanks to a pronounced trajectory.

Hm, if it results in something like PES 5 I could be interested.

Really? I hear it every year. Especially for PES

I agree these are all problems. theyre not nessescarily the biggest problems for me personally though, as some of them are lessened as problems when playing full manual, eg. more eror on passes is not as nessescary because the aiming part is hard enough that it produces its own erorrs. And some of them are lessened when playing vs human oppenents, eg. the aggression of defenders is largely determined by the user, not the ai

For me the issue is not increasing attacking difficulty, the issue is lack of variety and control in play when using assisted controls. When you play assisted youre locked into the playing patterns of the assistance rather than your own vision and skill, which harms both the fun and the realism.

I don't argue that everyone that everyone should play full manual because I know it's not for everyone.

But I think for more realistic gameplay generaly people would benefit from turning some stuff to manual (through balls, air balls) and semi-assisted (crossing, shooting, probably passing too). The way fully assisted works in fifa right now is just too stifling imo and doesn't reflect realism.

But ultimately it's all subjective

I disagree. IMO Probably the two bigest and most important things in FIFA that need reworked are the high level of assistance as a base in online play, and the game's defending system

I think we likely agree more than we disagree. For me though, I don't find the assistance settings stifling at all, and it's rare that I can't do what I want to do. That said, while once upon a time the beauty of manual controls was that it offered greater freedom, for me now what I really want isn't increased freedom, it's increased precision.

If that's what you're referring to then I agree, though I'd still say it's hardly the biggest issue. The game's defensive system definitely, for me too, is a top priority and FAR more important than anything to do with assistance.

But there's a big problem with relying on manual - or sliders - for increased realism, and it's that the underlying systems aren't advanced enough to deal with the error and variety that we introduce. You can make the ball bounce more and be more free for example (with sliders or manual) but the problem is when we introduce greater freedom, you start to see how they don't have the animation and tracking systems in place to deal with it. Like with a high first touch error, I now see the ball bounce a lot more but it often just bounces off of players rather than them reacting to it. That's not what we want.

Increasing error through sliders or manual assistance is great, but what we really want is increased realistic error that the players and game realistically react to.

So the goal should always be to get the game playing as realistically as possible, no matter the controller assistance settings. Ideally we should be able to watch the CPU play the CPU and it'd look like an authentic football match. Get the physics, AI, animation, ball, etc systems properly in place underneath it all and everything else falls into place, and assistance settings then become just a matter of preference, as they should be.

Those reports always sound like they were handed out by EA themselves

https://www.ea.com/games/fifa/news/pitch-notes-gameplay-beyond-fifa-19

Totally. I don't know what it is with the sports gaming press, but it feels like all the writing on FIFA is just regurgitated press releases from EA. I see gaming press ask hard questions about other games, but for some reason FIFA (other sports games?) get a free pass.

Like, why the FUCK hasn't anyone asked these producers why they've decided to add an entire new mode when one of their core modes - Career Mode - is embarrassingly bad?

Even so, I do find it encouraging that at least EA are talking about the right things in terms of gameplay.

I think we likely agree more than we disagree. For me though, I don't find the assistance settings stifling at all, and it's rare that I can't do what I want to do. That said, while once upon a time the beauty of manual controls was that it offered greater freedom, for me now what I really want isn't increased freedom, it's increased precision.

The game is far too precise on assisted. you can ping pong all day long and certain type of plays and shots are abused each and every year (finesse, low driven, chip through ball etc etc)

Do you really think assisted is the most realistic setting?

So the goal should always be to get the game playing as realistically as possible, no matter the controller assistance settings.

assisted settings are part of what determines if the game is realistic or not. that's the point.

you aren't playing a realistic football game if you can ping pong pass with nowhere close the skill or effort that requires in real life
you aren't playing a realistic football game if you can score every other outside-the-box finesse shot

Get the physics, AI, animation, ball, etc systems properly in place underneath it all and everything else falls into place, and assistance settings then become just a matter of preference, as they should be.

Strongly disagree. Assistance settings is just as fundamental as those other things you mention and it needs to be taken into account as early in the development process.

This is why manual control gameplay isn't as good as it could be, because the game is built around assisted controls, and so things like player reaction to passes, interceptions, defensive aspects being made OP, goalkeeper reactions, etc etc. are all built with the high accuracy of assistance in mind. the entire game is coded to keep up with and counter balance the ridiculous levels of pass and shot assistance.

If the game was developed with only full manual in mind then a lot of other gameplay aspects would inevitably be changed to accomdate that playstyle (just like they are now with assisted controls being the base).

The game is far too precise on assisted. you can ping pong all day long and certain type of plays and shots are abused each and every year (finesse, low driven, chip through ball etc etc)

assisted settings are part of what determines if the game is realistic or not. that's the point.

you aren't playing a realistic football game if you can ping pong pass with nowhere close the skill or effort that requires in real life
you aren't playing a realistic football game if you can score every other outside-the-box finesse shot

Strongly disagree. Assistance settings is just as fundamental as those other things you mention and it needs to be taken into account as early in the development process.

This is why manual control gameplay isn't as good as it could be, because the game is built around assisted controls, and so things like player reaction to passes, interceptions, defensive aspects being made OP, goalkeeper reactions, etc etc. are all built with the high accuracy of assistance in mind. the entire game is coded to keep up with and counter balance the ridiculous levels of pass and shot assistance.

If the game was developed with only full manual in mind then a lot of other gameplay aspects would inevitably be changed to accomdate that playstyle (just like they are now with assisted controls being the base).

I disagree, manual takes away from stats. If I played manual and hit the right power and right direction on the stick, attributes don't matter. If they matter, than it no longer is manual, because factors outside of your control are now at play. I care more that there is a middle ground, that semi seems to hit well most often IMO.

And maybe it's because I suck, but I can't ping pong in semi, maybe it's the sliders, but I certainly have a couple of plays of one touch football a season, but they rarely end up in goal opportunities. I see it far more often from the AI for example.

I'm not sure why this is even a debate but the game is too precise because of lack of error, not assistance settings.

Don't change the assistance settings but dramatically increase slider error and you have a less precise game. Play in the lower leagues on Ultimate difficulty and there's far more error and less precision and ping pong play.

Both examples keep the same assistance settings but introduce far more error, undermining the argument that the fault is the assistance settings.

Assistance settings for passing, crossing, and shooting help with target acquisition. That's literally all it does. Choosing which player to pass to should be intuitive and precise, just like in real football, while the error should be contextual, again just like in a real match.

Some assistance settings even need to be improved, like player switching. And just like with passing and the others, player switching settings are not meant to and should not directly effect realism; if it's affected, it's a byproduct and not the purpose of the settings.

If the relative realism of the game lives or dies by the assistance settings, then the rest of the game is shit. Fix the underlying systems and you shouldn't need to play manual for the realistic error.

But this isn't FIFA 09, or even FIFA from five years ago. They've slowly (too slowly IMO) but surely been addressing the lack of error over the years, which is why every game doesn't end with 95+% pass accuracy like it used to. That's got nothing to do with the assistance settings and everything to do with continually improving the underlying systems so that they are more accurate to the sport and real world physics.

Just read a Spanish article that claims the FIFA 20 page has been updated - I'm not 100% certain that it has, but it does seem like there's a little extra blurb on there. Particularly about defending changes and ball physics.

EA: FIFA 20 Gameplay Changes

If they matter, than it no longer is manual, because factors outside of your control are now at play.

Assistance =/= attributes.
All "manual" means is no assistance, it's does not mean no attributes.
I'm perfectly fine with my inputs being influenced by player attributes.

Both examples keep the same assistance settings but introduce far more error, undermining the argument that the fault is the assistance settings.

I don't have too much experience with the error slider. Though I recall when I used it on the AI it just seem to make them miss a random pass every now and again, didn't realy seem realistic to me.
Does the error slider make for realistic in your opinion? (And I don't mean statiscally, I mean does it feel realistic)

Fix the underlying systems and you shouldn't need to play manual for the realistic error.

Error is only one part of it. As I said, high assistance also limits gameplay variety because all your passes are dictated by the AI rather than yourself. There's nothing realistic about not having control of where you can place the ball. But if you dont find assisted stifling then obviously you wont agree

Just read a Spanish article that claims the FIFA 20 page has been updated - I'm not 100% certain that it has, but it does seem like there's a little extra blurb on there. Particularly about defending changes and ball physics.

EA: FIFA 20 Gameplay Changes

I like the sound of this themost: "an overhauled gameflow offers more true-to-life spacing and pace of play, resulting in more 1 on 1 opportunities putting emphasis on user-controlled Decisive Moments."

I feel in fifa defenders have too much leeway when up against attackers, they arent punished enough for sticking a foot out or over charging. In real life, defenders can be punished in an instant if they stretch out their leg at the wrong time. I hope this is partially what the "spacing and pace of play and 1 on 1 emphasis" hints at.

Also the strafe dribbling could be good too.

Back
Top Bottom