FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

As for gameplay, yeah there's not much to improve other than fixing some AI stuffs I guess. Gives more reason for them to improve other aspects of the game like career mode, adding back the ability to slide tackle goal keepers in offline matches, etc.
How is being able to slide tackle the goalkeeper is considered to be a gameplay improvement exactly?? LOL
Also there are many things to improve regarding gameplay.
The epileptic twitchy animations,the clunky movement,the not good enough ball physics,the absence of weight and fouls,the clipping,the non completed skipping frames animations etc.
Well,they said that they worked on ball physics at least so we'll have to see what they did.

Little off topic, apologies, but it made me laugh..
Fifa20 leaked gameplay.. :LOL:
One of the funniest football clips Ive seen in a while..
And to be honest - id love fifa20 to be like that.. physicality on full swing! It would be some craic playing it.. :LOL:

Little off topic, apologies, but it made me laugh..
Fifa20 leaked gameplay.. :LOL:
One of the funniest football clips Ive seen in a while..
And to be honest - id love fifa20 to be like that.. physicality on full swing! It would be some craic playing it.. :LOL:
This is too good man!! :LOL:
Can’t stop watching it over and over again. Showed it to my colleagues (fifa fans) at work. If they laugh, it must be true somehow. :D

You're one of the people I read with interest mfmaxpower, but I'm not sure I would agree on that, I think the gameplay is a frankensteinish mismatch of elements trying to appease different people. I think finishing/passing is way wayyyy casualised in the past two iterations. (In hindsight, this is probably how they came up with things like timed finishing, trying to reintroduce some "skill" element lacking elsewhere). I was following the pitch notes, sure they have to react to feedback, although in practice I think it was just dialing something back to 10, when it was originally turned up to 11. I also gave up on the game completely after 2-3 months so there's also that.

As an offline player i'm much more interested in passing and getting some midfield/build up play back, this is what will make it feel like football again on a fundamental level. Finishing exploits suck, and if they address them next year, that's great, but I feel like I can avoid them offline for the most part. Although fifa 19 was so bad they were creeping into my offline games as well. Hell, I've seen AI defenders passing the ball backwards, in their own box, using a bicycle kick, like it was a regular ground pass.

I'm sorry, I must have given the wrong impression. I couldn't agree more with you and calling it a "frankensteinish mismatch" is spot on. Couldn't have described it better.

I'm enjoying the game right now (using sliders) but FIFA's gameplay is a bit of a disaster. It works, but just barely (and again, I'm using sliders).

My point however is that thinking some of the aspects that we dislike is intentional I think is giving EA too much credit.

And then when we see EA address these issues - no matter how poorly - it's them admitting the game isn't playing as intended, and this past year that clearly included finishing. I mean, they've basically confessed to it being a poor shooting system this year with, not only their attempts to fix it with patches, but their proposed changes for next year. To me, that indicates poor design and execution, not intentional design for casuals that we just don't like because it's unrealistic or whatever.

Lack of midfield play is different, and I bet that's part intentional and part just again bad features and design. When you play with sliders a lot, you can see just how poor the underlying systems are, though I do agree that likely they want a more end-to-end game than we do. That wouldn't be a problem if the underlying systems were better and sliders actually did what we want them to, but sadly their engine and technology isn't where it needs to be for that.

For me, we have two very below average football games when we compare them to what we experience with other AAA titles. The single player modes are horrible, the graphics and animations are pretty meh when compared to other games, and the quality of the core gameplay is extremely debatable.

But I love football, so I keep coming back. At this point I'm excited for both games this year, but really I'm just hoping for a substantial leap forward with the next gen.

Last edited:
If FIFA 20 doesn't get *something* out there soon enough, I can really see EA taking some L's this year.
PES strategy is quite good this time around. If they can live up to the expectations in terms of gameplay when demo hits on July 30 and when word gets out that PES got a hold of the Manchester United, Juventus and Bayern Munich licenses with the quality of the Stadiums that only Konami produces..... lots of people will be trying PES this year.

You underestimate the power of the Dark Side.

FUT is such a juggernaut, PES ain't going to be making any dents in FIFA's stranglehold on the market.

It actually gives insight to the Pitch Notes approach that they used with FIFA 19, and they also used to preview what they are addressing in FIFA 20.

Not sure what is negative about sliders. It's not about fixing the game at all, but it gives support to the base of FIFA's rating model and how adjusting certain values can be used as a balancer offline.

I think FIFA has played pretty true to ratings the last couple of years, so looking forward to seeing if that remains to be the case when 20 comes out.

Maybe we're thinking about different things but I don't know how you could conclude that the game is true to its ratings.

Some examples:
  • Because of how overpowered attacking play is, I don't need any attackers rated above 75 to win all tournaments in the game on Ultimate difficulty.
  • My current 73-rated LW makes mince meat of world class and elite defenders.
  • I regularly see short attackers leap ahead of top defenders for headers and volleys.
  • I regularly see scrub players making elite level first touch control of the ball, phenomenal volleys and shots from distance, etc.
It's much better than it used to be, and ratings matter more than ever, but they're still extremely inconsistent in execution.

Maybe we're thinking about different things but I don't know how you could conclude that the game is true to its ratings.

Some examples:

• Because of how overpowered attacking play is, I don't need any attackers rated above 75 to win all tournaments in the game on Ultimate difficulty.
    My current 73-rated LW makes mince meat of world class and elite defenders.
    I regularly see short attackers leap ahead of top defenders for headers and volleys.
    I regularly see scrub players making elite level first touch control of the ball, phenomenal volleys and shots from distance, etc.
It's much better than it used to be, and ratings matter more than ever, but they're still extremely inconsistent in execution.

It's more true to its ratings than previous versions. Sure, you're going to get boosts in certain areas, and you're going to get the random occurrences that defy that. Overpowered attacking doesn't have anything to do with player ratings, it is more of a coding issue of fundamentals and how break-neck speed the game moves in general.

I think if you're playing on Ultimate, the CPU is definitely going to have some additional boosts compared to those playing Pro or World Class.

Pro Clubs is a great example of seeing ratings play out. When you're in the lowest division, you get the worst AI, and they play pretty terribly - but they do have moments of brilliance and shock.

Overall, the game definitely needs to be better suited in its coding to support the player ratings. However, on their own, the values are pretty close. Nothing is perfect of course.

It's more true to its ratings than previous versions. Sure, you're going to get boosts in certain areas, and you're going to get the random occurrences that defy that. Overpowered attacking doesn't have anything to do with player ratings, it is more of a coding issue of fundamentals and how break-neck speed the game moves in general.

I think if you're playing on Ultimate, the CPU is definitely going to have some additional boosts compared to those playing Pro or World Class.

Pro Clubs is a great example of seeing ratings play out. When you're in the lowest division, you get the worst AI, and they play pretty terribly - but they do have moments of brilliance and shock.

Overall, the game definitely needs to be better suited in its coding to support the player ratings. However, on their own, the values are pretty close. Nothing is perfect of course.

Solid response Matt, cheers.

FIFA 20 is being shown to the press (and for some reason, eSports players) today. Hopefully there's a leak or two...

FIFA 20 is being shown to the press (and for some reason, eSports players) today. Hopefully there's a leak or two...

how is that with FIFA esports in general. do they play with pass assistence when doing tournaments and such (like the other game does)?! is there an (official) esports full manual league fir FIFA?

edit: did not notice until now... you have a new signature, @Chris Davies !? :DD

Pretty pretty good
Looks like Bundesliga finally gets some TLC
Nice, unless i missed something, Is the Bundesliga finally getting the Premier League/La Liga treatment or something?

Been a long time coming if so, Seeing as they locked PES out of even a fake German league with not much to show for it themselves.

It's so they can give "impressions" on their channels and hype the game. Doesn't seem like they're gonna let them record and share footage though sadly.

Nice, unless i missed something, Is the Bundesliga finally getting the Premier League/La Liga treatment or something?

Been a long time coming if so, Seeing as they locked PES out of even a fake German league with not much to show for it themselves.

It's so they can give "impressions" on their channels and hype the game. Doesn't seem like they're gonna let them record and share footage though sadly.

Can't really say if they get the full treatment ,but looks like stadiums for pretty much every team (not Schalke) which is a good start,and about time
Always felt pissed off with a BL licence and no stadiums.
Didn't play BL at all on 19,but I remember presentation being pretty good on 18.
Fingers crossed.
Although,Serie A is getting no love at all.
Anyway,about time with BL

Nice! Mallorca... :RSCARF:
I kept it real and saw the QF to La Liga for Mallorca!

I know there was 4-5 stadiums missing last year for La Liga,didn't really pay attention to which new ones that are in.
But bet there's plenty in the Segunda now

I kept it real and saw the QF to La Liga for Mallorca!

I know there was 4-5 stadiums missing last year for La Liga,didn't really pay attention to which new ones that are in.
But bet there's plenty in the Segunda now
It will be really interesting to see what they have in stock for Career Mode. They know ML got some love and they know they cant stay behind. Looking forward to the news and gameplay vids

Can't really say if they get the full treatment ,but looks like stadiums for pretty much every team (not Schalke) which is a good start,and about time

Veltins-Arena (Schalke) is in the game since a few years. I am pretty sure, that all stadiums of the 1. Bundesliga are in now. And a few of the 2. Bundesliga, like Hamburg.

Veltins-Arena (Schalke) is in the game since a few years. I am pretty sure, that all stadiums of the 1. Bundesliga are in now. And a few of the 2. Bundesliga, like Hamburg.
My bad,forgot that it had the veltins,didn't play BL at all on 19

It will be really interesting to see what they have in stock for Career Mode. They know ML got some love and they know they cant stay behind. Looking forward to the news and gameplay vids
It's about time to step up career mode this year,been pretty much the same since 17ish?
Also would like a vanilla gameplay to be good out of the box,less slider fixing the better (AND FOULS FFS)

If negotiations could happen without cutscenes, I would kiss someone.
Cutscenes should be limited to in game stuff and/or selectable when you want to view them.

I would also like some more book keeping stuff in, like viewing the history of other leagues (see past tables, and cups, goalscorers and assisters). Something like a player history page. Where you can see what clubs the player has been since the game began, and his goalscoring and assist numbers maybe. Just try to copy as many FM stuff like that as possible.

Finally, a realistic but basic academy system would be so nice, and would keep me engaged in CM for longer than 2 or 3 seasons.

Less important stuff, half empty stadiums if you are in a lower tier, playing a small team in the league cup, or you yourself are struggling.

Last edited:
When I saw the new mode was a regen fifa street, I new it would probably leach into the 11 a side matches.

Looks like Pes 5 or fifa 16 for another year.

More goals my arse.

It’s a symbol of today’s social media society.

“They don’t make em like they used to” haha.

When I saw the new mode was a regen fifa street, I new it would probably leach into the 11 a side matches.

Looks like Pes 5 or fifa 16 for another year.

More goals my arse.

It’s a symbol of today’s social media society.

“They don’t make em like they used to” haha.

Do you think FIFA 16 has the best gameplay against AI? I love career mode, but i can't play FIFA 19, it's so bad.

Hi mate,

To be fair. I had forgot all about 16 until I read the 16 thread on here. I played it pre patches and it’s pretty close to what I’ve been experiencing and enjoying on PES 5. I remembered that when it first came out I had really enjoyed it but it was the one they updated and ruined. I have a pc now so I’m going to be doing the patches recommended and hoping it will be as good as the reviews on the thread.

EA have license and they can add bundesliga and seria a stadiums and can also face scan them for fifa 20,but most likely,in fifa 20 bundesliga stadiums +faces,fifa 21 seria a,so they can say "new features" buy the game

Back
Top Bottom