Votes: 53 25.2%
  • I have already pre-ordered it

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • I'll wait for the sales to get it cheaper

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I'm still not sure

Votes: 53 25.2%

• Total voters
I saw Eurogamer put up a FIFA 19 article with a FUT-themed headline, so I didn't look any more into it - however, I've just noticed it mentions Career Mode too.

Eurogamer: FIFA 19 Producers Say Publishing Pack Odds A Voluntary Choice

First of all... Yeah, right.

Secondly... Take a look at how they answer these two questions.

EG: Are there any more changes planned for career mode? A lot of fans feel it's been neglected.

EA: Obviously the big addition this year to career mode is Champions League, the Europa League and the Super Cup. So career mode is the most authentic it's ever been.

EG: There's been a lot of quality of life changes to kick off mode this year. For instance, house rules, the inclusion of finals you can play at will. I was wondering why these haven't come in earlier FIFAs?

EA: Time and resources are not infinite [...] what we try to do is build a suite of features that resonates across the game as a whole [...] you could introduce a feature in career mode and a lot of people would never engage with that as they don't play career mode.

So what they're literally saying is...

"If we can't use something across all modes, we're not going to implement it, because nobody plays career mode."

Incredibly revealing.

cw9Dhs2.jpg

I'll say it again: unless EA starts to monetize CM, through paid DLC or whatever, this is the new status quo.

We'll probably no longer get yearly FIFA (nor PES) games in a couple of years. It's been rumoured left and right.
So, at the end of the day... one way or the other, the end will be the same for all modes including career more. A solid base and then little paid updates or DLCs. Unfortunately, not much longer to see that day come.

Well, at least they are honest about it.

I can't even blame them, they are a company and that's where the market is going. Pretty sad tho, to think what both games could have been in just more years of good focus, while instead all we have is this awful online gaming fast food experience.

We'll probably no longer get yearly FIFA (nor PES) games in a couple of years. It's been rumoured left and right.
So, at the end of the day... one way or the other, the end will be the same for all modes including career more. A solid base and then little paid updates or DLCs. Unfortunately, not much longer to see that day come.
This may be way off-topic, but I have a big fear about this. Quote me in a few years' time when this is what happens, because every little interview snippet about Career Mode makes me think it's true.

So, imagine FIFA turns into a subscription, a GaaS model.

Say you've got FIFA: Ultimate Team and FIFA: Manager Mode (plus kick-off).

Those FUT guys - they just want to keep on playing. The majority of their audience aren't looking for gameplay changes - they'd pay just to keep accessing the game. So that'll work I'm sure (and EA will be in heaven - subscription fee PLUS microtransaction fees).

But say I'm paying £10 a month to access FIFA: Manager Mode... If, after a month, it plays just like the old non-subscription games, I'm going to immediately cancel. If it's good but after six months there are no major new additions to the mode, I'm going to cancel. If the gameplay doesn't get any more realistic, I'm going to cancel.

Keeping FUT going is a lot less work than making a deep Manager Mode.

On top of that... Us old-school gamers, the Manager Mode guys... How many of us are going to pay a subscription? (I would, if it meant development, but I reckon a lot of people will just say "it's gone too far".)

I think the day FIFA turns into a GaaS thing (and as you say, the heads at EA have pretty much confirmed that's the plan), Manager Mode will just disappear. EA won't even bother putting it together.

All time and money will go towards FUT. I mean, it does now anyway.

FIFA rakes in so much cash from their yearly installments though. Ten's of millions of people spend a guaranteed £40+ on the game each year because they want the updates and changes. With GaaS the game immediately becomes limited to change because its all based on that initial foundation and this would possibly (likely imo) lead to fatigue for the average user, who in turn would end up handing over less cash to EA over the long term. I can understand other games going gaas because it's difficult to justify a sequel every year to the average consumer, but sports games are generally exempt from this due to their seasonal nature in real life.

At best I think they could separate off FUT into it's own Gaas thing. But why would they do it for the other modes? Those modes will are enough justify it's place on the shelf every year IMO.

Bring back the old days when Fifa and Fifa Manager worked together. I'd gladly buy Fifa and Fifa manager if it meant got a fully fleshed out management game where we can play the matches.
Oh hell Yeah so would I

EA don’t care about career mode at all though

Konami don’t care about Master League [even tho I love PES 2019]

The only way we get a deep, addicting video game football career game is if we all get together and start a kickstarter

I think we should get something going but I don’t know anything about game development

No way will FIFA ever be a biennial or more release. It's a HUGE cash cow for EA that they can count on year in and year out. They'd release it twice a year if they could. PES on the other hand, is such a Frankenstein of a game I wouldn't be surprised if it's not even around in 5 years.

Last edited:
I posted pretty much this in the Pes thread on off line career mode.
How come NBA live/2k/F1/Madden/NHL gets better and better off line career modes every year?
But we don't?
And at the same time creating better and deeper career modes in those games,they still evovle their FUT/Myclub modes.
Makes no sense that Fifa/PES deteriorates every year?
Since they can balance it on all other titles

I posted pretty much this in the Pes thread on off line career mode.
How come NBA live/2k/F1/Madden/NHL gets better and better off line career modes every year?
But we don't?
And at the same time creating better and deeper career modes in those games,they still evovle their FUT/Myclub modes.
Makes no sense that Fifa/PES deteriorates every year?
Since they can balance it on all other titles

No idea about Konami, but the only thing I can think of is that FUT brings in WAY more cashmoney than MUT, and maybe that's why FUT is the bigger priority.

The other thing too might also be that the licenses for FIFA are numerous and there's thousands of players in the game vs hundreds in the other ones? So I'd imagine the cost of licensing for FIFA is a much larger ratio of the game's overall production cost compared to the different titles. And then there's all the additional stadiums and kits, things like that. So in the end, FIFA might have less of its budget available and sacrifices CM as a result?

That's all I got. Doesn't make it excusable and I'm as dejected as anyone about the state of CM, but EA are ignoring the game mode for a reason and that's all I can think of that makes sense.

No idea about Konami, but the only thing I can think of is that FUT brings in WAY more cashmoney than MUT, and maybe that's why FUT is the bigger priority.

The other thing too might also be that the licenses for FIFA are numerous and there's thousands of players in the game vs hundreds in the other ones? So I'd imagine the cost of licensing for FIFA is a much larger ratio of the game's overall production cost compared to the different titles. And then there's all the additional stadiums and kits, things like that. So in the end, FIFA might have less of its budget available and sacrifices CM as a result?

That's all I got. Doesn't make it excusable and I'm as dejected as anyone about the state of CM, but EA are ignoring the game mode for a reason and that's all I can think of that makes sense.
Probably tougher making a career mode for numerous leagues and players Vs NBA NHL.
But I think they've chosen a path in FIFA and Pes to go micro transaction
Who knows it's sad.
First company to realise that a collab with FM would probably get some kick ass career

Probably tougher making a career mode for numerous leagues and players Vs NBA NHL.
But I think they've chosen a path in FIFA and Pes to go micro transaction
Who knows it's sad.
First company to realise that a collab with FM would probably get some kick ass career

If they do go heavily down the micro-transaction route, I hope both titles fall flat on their face "Battlefront 2" style. After all the millions that has been made out of us, we deserve better.

If they do go heavily down the micro-transaction route, I hope both titles fall flat on their face "Battlefront 2" style. After all the millions that has been made out of us, we deserve better.
For sure mate,I'd hope they burn if they do.
Wouldn't be surprised If it becomes a subscription service or something either.
We live in bad times

Fifa has been going since 1994....now that consoles are really powerful I get to the point when I think what more can EA do with the game.
Only a matter of time before they just go down the £5 a month sub for updated team Rostas and kits.

Being playing pes19 and love the match speed of -1.
What slider settings do I need to be able to get Fifa down to that. Just played a slow game on Fifa and compared to pes the its like ice hockey pace.
Cheers

I didn't even look at it. I'm too old to be hyped of tricking. It lost its beauty since EA started upload goals of the weeks, where online kids turned FIFA into FIFA Street.

I 100% agree that it has a high potential of making online an even bigger mockery of the sport of football than it already is, but I already conceded that fact eons ago. I've been playing Pro Clubs since 2008 and it's always been a shit show. Unfortunately, it is what it is. FIFA online will never resemble actual football. More to the point, I greet the new first touch mechanics with open arms in regards to how it could potentially unlock new possibilities in offline (where I can limit the amount of shenanigans to some degree).

For me, even the simple inclusion of having a dedicated button (RT/R2) for controlling the ball with your chest is massive (theoretically, of course). It could greatly bolster the effectiveness of say, target men. All depends on how stats, height, weight factor into the equation. What wasn't showcased in that video were the Active Touch (buzzwords ™) mechanics that don't involve juggling the ball; ie, when receiving the ball.
The little feints and off the ball trickery when receiving a pass could help distinguish players that previously struggled to shine in FIFA (Iniesta, Busquests, Silva, Kroos, etc). That, and I'm curious to see if it will improve touching the ball into space from a general standpoint.

Again, I haven't played the beta so this is entirely optimistic speculation, but it do find it interesting. Granted, I don't like how some of those touches were possible with practically any player. They are new features that might easily be abused. We shall see in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I didn't even look at it. I'm too old to be hyped of tricking. It lost its beauty since EA started upload goals of the weeks, where online kids turned FIFA into FIFA Street.

True.
Tricks were beautiful when they first implemented them (the way they are now) in FIFA 08. That was a hell of a game.
I remember that before I got an XBOX 360 (specially just for FIFA 08) I would watch tons of videos on Youtube in awe. But you didn't see a hundred kids performing them from the second they got the ball until the moment they scored. They were harder to perform and only certain players like Ronaldinho could do them.

Back
Top Bottom