• I have already pre-ordered it

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • I'll wait for the sales to get it cheaper

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I'm still not sure

Votes: 53 25.2%

• Total voters
They have no space issues it seems. :)

Apparently they have programmers capable of building modern databases...

One thing I will miss after playing the PES demo though is the crowd? cam, wow that's an amazing view for playing football, can see the whole pitch, hope there's something like that in Fifa it's the perfect camera for me.

Great news with La Liga and the broadcast package for Ligue 1. For the Bundesliga I think we'll see at least VW Arena und Wirsol Rhein-Neckar Arena. These stadiums were new in the FIFA 18 database (also the La Liga stadiums). Also Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.

Please tell me there are more people complaining about this in the beta forums than there are kids celebrating it.
So in the space of a few days EA have gone from taking brave risks to deliver a more realistic gameplay experience to playing it safe and pandering to gamers who want ping pong Arcade? Disappointing but not surprising,tbh!

Here's the reason why a lot of people are upset with the beta, IMO:

Even though EA haven't marketed the game this way, the biggest change to FIFA this year has to do with defending. Attacking play is essentially an evolution from last year, but still feels and works largely the same. But, especially in single player, defending is a very different experience than 18.

There's a few big changes, but lots of small things that when put together have a pretty big impact. So people are expressing lots of frustration that, IMO, are a result of it being more difficult to score. (And then there are those that are yelling that the new defending is heavily assisted and ruins the competitive nature of the game, eliminating the skill gap.)

The biggest change to defending is that AI teammates are so much more reliable, in a number of ways. I don't know about you, but in past FIFAs when I lost possession, I would immediately switch to a winger or midfield player and sprint the fuck back, either to help or to attempt a tackle from behind. This is completely unnecessary now - no need to freak out anytime you lose possession. Your teammates will trackback and close down like you'd expect them to do.

In addition, the new tactical system is probably more felt when out of possession than in attack. This is most evident when pressing the opposition - before, it was near impossible to play a realistic pressing game. Now it's eminently doable. This not only makes it more challenging to build out of the back (I absolutely love how you really have to clear the ball out now or else risk being punished), but it also leads to more midfield battles and more back passing. Stamina is impacted by pressing tactics but the effect might need to be turned up. I imagine the ability to press like you can now is going to be very controversial among the FUT and online community.

Not only are your teammates vastly more dependable, but you can now have confidence in the defenders you control to, well, be able to defend. It used to be that anytime an attacker would go up against a lone defender, panic would ensue. Now, one-on-one defending is far more reliable, while teammate contain for the first time is really actually helpful against the CPU.

One-on-one defending is quite different because of changes to the way players move without the ball. A problem in the past was that dribblers seemed to be more agile than defenders. That's been resolved. Another is that you really never need to use jockey anymore - the default movement is just about perfect for defenders, and I only use jockey when in the box. Also, I'd always complained in the past that dribblers were too "slippery" but there's now a decent amount of lock on assistance with defenders and no longer will a dribbler move one way and your defender goes off on a walkabout in the other direction.

Tackling is far more dependable too, and if anything, might be overpowered. There still is an issue with the ball bouncing back to dribblers after a tackle, but it's better than before. One really nice thing, though maybe not the most realistic, is that when tackling players on the flank, the ball more times than not will bounce off the attacker's foot and go out of bounds, resulting in a change of possession.

There's more, but I think you get the idea.

For me, this all adds up to a different game, at least for single player. And it makes perfect sense: EA couldn't implement a tactical system without fixing some of these fundamental imbalances.

The negative is that playing against the CPU on the highest difficulty settings is too easy. I found this the case in 18 because you essentially could always count on outscoring the CPU. I wouldn't say it's easier in 19 - it's slightly harder to score (or maybe I should say the first goal is harder to come by) but it's easier to defend - in fact I'd say the CPU attack is a little too easy to defend against.

One nice thing is that today an EA community rep responded to my post about the game being too easy, saying they'll look into the difficulty levels.

Here's the reason why a lot of people are upset with the beta, IMO:

Even though EA haven't marketed the game this way, the biggest change to FIFA this year has to do with defending. Attacking play is essentially an evolution from last year, but still feels and works largely the same. But, especially in single player, defending is a very different experience than 18.

There's a few big changes, but lots of small things that when put together have a pretty big impact. So people are expressing lots of frustration that, IMO, are a result of it being more difficult to score. (And then there are those that are yelling that the new defending is heavily assisted and ruins the competitive nature of the game, eliminating the skill gap.)

The biggest change to defending is that AI teammates are so much more reliable, in a number of ways. I don't know about you, but in past FIFAs when I lost possession, I would immediately switch to a winger or midfield player and sprint the fuck back, either to help or to attempt a tackle from behind. This is completely unnecessary now - no need to freak out anytime you lose possession. Your teammates will trackback and close down like you'd expect them to do.

In addition, the new tactical system is probably more felt when out of possession than in attack. This is most evident when pressing the opposition - before, it was near impossible to play a realistic pressing game. Now it's eminently doable. This not only makes it more challenging to build out of the back (I absolutely love how you really have to clear the ball out now or else risk being punished), but it also leads to more midfield battles and more back passing. Stamina is impacted by pressing tactics but the effect might need to be turned up. I imagine the ability to press like you can now is going to be very controversial among the FUT and online community.

Not only are your teammates vastly more dependable, but you can now have confidence in the defenders you control to, well, be able to defend. It used to be that anytime an attacker would go up against a lone defender, panic would ensue. Now, one-on-one defending is far more reliable, while teammate contain for the first time is really actually helpful against the CPU.

One-on-one defending is quite different because of changes to the way players move without the ball. A problem in the past was that dribblers seemed to be more agile than defenders. That's been resolved. Another is that you really never need to use jockey anymore - the default movement is just about perfect for defenders, and I only use jockey when in the box. Also, I'd always complained in the past that dribblers were too "slippery" but there's now a decent amount of lock on assistance with defenders and no longer will a dribbler move one way and your defender goes off on a walkabout in the other direction.

Tackling is far more dependable too, and if anything, might be overpowered. There still is an issue with the ball bouncing back to dribblers after a tackle, but it's better than before. One really nice thing, though maybe not the most realistic, is that when tackling players on the flank, the ball more times than not will bounce off the attacker's foot and go out of bounds, resulting in a change of possession.

There's more, but I think you get the idea.

For me, this all adds up to a different game, at least for single player. And it makes perfect sense: EA couldn't implement a tactical system without fixing some of these fundamental imbalances.

The negative is that playing against the CPU on the highest difficulty settings is too easy. I found this the case in 18 because you essentially could always count on outscoring the CPU. I wouldn't say it's easier in 19 - it's slightly harder to score (or maybe I should say the first goal is harder to come by) but it's easier to defend - in fact I'd say the CPU attack is a little too easy to defend against.

One nice thing is that today an EA community rep responded to my post about the game being too easy, saying they'll look into the difficulty levels.

I would honestly have the game being hard than easy because you can fix a hard game by reducing a sliders or difficulty but if Legendary or Ultimate is too easy, then you can win the league with Huddersfield and it kills immersion. They also need to prevent easy counter attack against CPU and easy tiki taka passing all the way to the goal. I love that in FIFA 16, CPU would try to intercept a pass by sliding tackle or closing space. Hopefully that's reintrouced in FIFA 19.

Video game vs Sports Simulation is the great balancing act here.
A great example is the new timed shot system, which is a big step towards FIFA being a football video game, rather than a sports sim.

The timed shot is something you can become very good at over time, thus making you better at this video game.
However, if this was a sports simulation things would be more contextual, rather than being able to get good at button sequencing on a controller.

Some would argue that this is a video game and putting hours in to get good at timing of button pressing is what it's all about amd this is a valid argument.

Others would say, it's about creating life-like football and so contextualizing things should play a bigger role, regardless of how well timed the users input is.

I fall somewhere in the middle, it's got to be a bit of both. but i do lean lean towards the contextualized aspect of things.

Wow, not sure if something's gone wrong with my beta but I was only meant to get kickoff and FUT but I just noticed that if I right stick navigate on the fut tab I can get to career, seasons and Pro clubs.

Maybe they have updated the beta to have all functionality...

just pre ordered after that La Liga news, nearly 100 stadiums in fifa 19 now:APPLAUD: thats a proper next gen effort

I would too. Not just because of LaLiga, but because everything I've seen so far has been very good. Everything BUT the gameplay. THAT I need to try for myself before spending my g's on this.
I want to see better dribbling mechanics (hated FIFA 17/18 on this), better inertia, better momentum.

Give us some career mode info then :)

I haven't even tried career mode before but since it was available I thought I would have a wee go. Unfortunately that means I have no idea what used to be in career mode Vs now so can't tell what is new.

Gave my manager a name and a face then got to choose whether he woukd wear a suit, shirt and tie or a tracksuit. No Southgate option.

Got invited to a pre season tournament (3 of them and had to choose, each with different prize fund). Got to choose difficulty which I put to ultimate. Played a game in the preseason tourney and took a lead early on but went on to lose 3-1. CPU played well, not crazy fast but just good finishing when it got the chance.

Just the one game for the moment as I wanted to try out FUT champions.

Really enjoying the game. Only bug I see is when I get a goalkick and I aim to the right (if facing right) and press the kick button it ends up kicking it to the right of the keeper , of the pitch as if I had first person view of the goal kick and wanted to kick it out to the wing.

50/50 physicality is just brilliant. Love the fact you can win headers by jumping early and slide in to get balls that you don't look like you would get.

Scoring a nice variety of goals

Anything you want to find out about career mode specifically?

I would too. Not just because of LaLiga, but because everything I've seen so far has been very good. Everything BUT the gameplay. THAT I need to try for myself before spending my g's on this.
I want to see better dribbling mechanics (hated FIFA 17/18 on this), better inertia, better momentum.

im at the age now where il take fifa gameplay instead of spending 3 months editing everything on PES, its a game at the end of the day and we all have busy lives

im at the age now where il take fifa gameplay instead of spending 3 months editing everything on PES, its a game at the end of the day and we all have busy lives
i see what you mean but PES takes an hour to edit on PS4 and then its done for me

but if FIFA 19 gameplay is better than last year with harder games and I can slow it down with sliders ... only going to play the one game not risk both again

Played the Beta and it’s way too fast with a lot of ping pong. Shooting feels nice but it’s just not that enjoyable to play. I still can’t believe they have yet to get the night lighting right, it feels like half the flood lights are out!

PES is much nicer graphically and feels much slower.

Played the Beta and it’s way too fast with a lot of ping pong. Shooting feels nice but it’s just not that enjoyable to play. I still can’t believe they have yet to get the night lighting right, it feels like half the flood lights are out!

PES is much nicer graphically and feels much slower.

just turn off EA's HDR mode and the game will look really good

Wow, not sure if something's gone wrong with my beta but I was only meant to get kickoff and FUT but I just noticed that if I right stick navigate on the fut tab I can get to career, seasons and Pro clubs.

Maybe they have updated the beta to have all functionality...

The beta opens up fully for everyone on it during the last week or days

Think I might play a bit more FUT this year. Multiplayer is better in 19 than 18 because the improved defending has cut down on some of the easiest bullshit exploits, although the game too often descends into something akin to a pinball game because of the way the ball deflects and bounces combined with players still not reacting quick enough. So you see the ball bouncing off players quite a bit.

It'll be interesting to see how EA reacts to the beta feedback because lots of people have been vocal in their dislike of the improved AI teammate defending.

But pace has been nerfed - and I'd be surprised if it's not at least slightly tweaked for release - and that means the lame tactic of just hoofing long balls to strikers who then try to out sprint your backline isn't as effective. It's still effective enough that it's most people's go to but it's more maneagable.

Biggest issue I have is still how tackles will result in the ball going back to the defender 2/3 times. The fact this happens so much undermines all arguments that the game is a skill-based competitive game.

Also, squad battles might be more enjoyable this year because of the AI. Last year on the highest difficulties it felt like total bullshit by the CPU but I held my own against it on Ultimate. Definitely the toughest single player experience in the game I think.

One more day of the beta...

Great news with La Liga and the broadcast package for Ligue 1. For the Bundesliga I think we'll see at least VW Arena und Wirsol Rhein-Neckar Arena. These stadiums were new in the FIFA 18 database (also the La Liga stadiums). Also Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.
Signal Iduna Park too.

What is that "two steps" shooting thing? It's doesn't looks natural.
That's something that may kills the feeling to shoot for me...
I don't want to makes shoots like in a basketball game.

right I am camping in here from now on after recent news about other football game

FIFA 19 has to be better, slower, more tactical, MORE DIFFICULT and I will buy day ONE.

any news on speed or difficulty in full version anyone?

only thing fifa 19 needs is artificial pitches, watching the kilmarnock v rangers game now and they’re playing on a synthetic pitch, same with most teams in sweden, norway and some teams in ireland, would definitely add more realism in career mode

right I am camping in here from now on after recent news about other football game

FIFA 19 has to be better, slower, more tactical, MORE DIFFICULT and I will buy day ONE.

any news on speed or difficulty in full version anyone?

FIFA’s slow is never slow enough

Back
Top Bottom