• I have already pre-ordered it

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • I'll wait for the sales to get it cheaper

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I'm still not sure

Votes: 53 25.2%

• Total voters
Last edited:
I don't think I've conceded any other goals than headers from crosses or unstoppable first time shots in my career mode with Portsmouth. It's just boring tbh.

Another thing, I don't know if there is something wrong with my game, but since bumping it up to ultimate difficulty I've scored more goals than I've ever done in any career mode. It's like the difficulty level is not having any effect.

Has anyone done any more experimentation with your team-mate AI level (you can set it pre-game in the handicap settings menu)? Actually, is that even available in career mode, or just friendlies?

Managed to fit in a game at lunch. Had a few games over the weekend on Professional, with new sliders, and really enjoyed it - but felt (because of form, and bringing in a couple of free transfers) it was a little too easy (not MUCH too easy, just a little).

So, against my common sense, I played on World Class. As Tranmere, against Lincoln City in a league match. I've saved the footage too, but didn't have time to edit and upload.

In terms of general gameplay, it (surprisingly) felt really good, and not as cheaty as I'd imagined (possibly because they had a worse team in terms of OVR rating).

But.

A) It finished 4-4. I had the lead four times.
(This was on five minute halves, I was in a rush. On seven minutes, it would have been about 6-6.)

B) Every time I scored, the AI had equalised within 3 minutes.
(In the case of what I thought was the winning goal in the 89th minute, they equalised within one minute.)

C) Three of the AI's four goals were headers.
(Now, my big strong CB was out injured, but the other CBs I have are big enough and strong enough to stop one cross being converted, surely. They're professional footballers.)

D) With the score tied, every AI cross went out of play. When I had the lead, every AI cross met a head.
(This is with default pass error.)

E) Every headed shot was a goal. Every single one.
(Including one that looped in from outside the area.)

It's the first match I've played so far where it felt like a video game and not a game of football, 50% because as soon as I scored the AI's crossing became Beckham-esque, and 50% because every header was a goal and you could see it coming (a pet hate of all of ours, I think).

If they nerf headers a bit in the next patch, I'll be interested to see how the AI adapts...

im having a premier league on world class with sliders - some of matt10's and some of my own. Won 2/2 but both close games. Quite enjoyable to be honest. Think i need to tweak the AI width as at 48 it's indicating there's a bit too much space for me out wide. Got 3 fouls in my last game two with two freekicks in shooting range.

With all the uproar, I'll be shocked if the next patch doesn't have substantial gameplay adjustments. Headers and long shots are two of the biggest complaints (from all crowds) so I'd expect adjustments there and yes, it'll be interesting to see how that affects the CPU attacking play.

Two things I find interesting: One is I wonder what the effect of the new timed finishing mechanic has on the CPU play. With these new super wonderful shot types, is it a coincidence that the CPU is lethal from distance? Don't think so.

Also, is it a coincidence that in a year when they add these new kickoff modes in which one is to score only from headers and volleys that those are overpowered in game? Don't think so.

Got to be honest. I’m enjoying offline on default. Don’t know what that says about my likes. I’ve noticed it does feel different on how I play though. Slow without sprint is great. We played co op last night with West Ham. It was brilliant. For me it was good because our own players weren’t zipping about the pitch everywhere which meant it was more structured and slow. Great games. First career mode I’ve played in donkeys too, so it’s great for what I want as I haven’t played it before.

With all the uproar, I'll be shocked if the next patch doesn't have substantial gameplay adjustments. Headers and long shots are two of the biggest complaints (from all crowds) so I'd expect adjustments there and yes, it'll be interesting to see how that affects the CPU attacking play.

Two things I find interesting: One is I wonder what the effect of the new timed finishing mechanic has on the CPU play. With these new super wonderful shot types, is it a coincidence that the CPU is lethal from distance? Don't think so.

Also, is it a coincidence that in a year when they add these new kickoff modes in which one is to score only from headers and volleys that those are overpowered in game? Don't think so.

For headers i'm ok but for me long shots didn't need a patch. Also, GK need a big patch:SHOCK:
I have disable time finish, the classic shoot is perfect.

Guys what difficulty do you suggest for someone (me :)) ) who is brand new to semi/manual controls?

Is it better to go full manual from the off or practice with semi first?

What about shooting etc? Semi or manual?

I find it all so daunting. I am desperate to enjoy the career mode on this but hate the AI on Ultimate and it’s too easy with assisted controls.

So please help a fellow Fifa brother...post your difficulty settings and control setups and I will try them all!

:)
I honestly think you can play on the highest difficulty providing you alter a few sliders. I'm 3rd with West Ham after about 15 games. I'd try the below settings, but maybe on semi to get used to the difficulty level/cpu style of play

Full Manual, except for goalkeeper save assistance
Legacy Defending

Speed: Normal
Camera: Dyamic (zoom and height vary depending on stadium)

Slider adjustments;

Me - Pass speed - 57, shot speed - 47, marking 65, run frequency - 75, first touch error - 70

CPU - Pass speed - 47, shot speed - 47, pass error - 60, marking - 65, run frequency - 55, full back positioning - 55, line length - 40, first touch error - 70

That is strange. Just tried this with Fabianski and had no problems at all tapping X and him rolling the ball out. I'm on PS4, by the way.
It would appear it's to do with manual controls, as a few others have alluded to. I literally cannot get him to roll the ball out. So frustrating. I haven't tried on semi or assisted. I might give it a go tonight and feedback

I hate this game on FUMA and even semi at times. Feels like slow motion zombie football, doesn’t look or feel realistic whatsoever.

Think I will play on default for the time being until the other game gets it patch.

I tried Matts new sliders and they are ok but i found it a little easier than what i was using myself.
So i have have gone back to default sliders apart from

Injury Freq 60/60
Injury seriousness (is that what it is called?) 10/10
Power Bar 70
First Touch 60/60

On Normal speed
Prof level
FUMA

I lost 2-1 but it was a challenge again :)

Managed to fit in a game at lunch. Had a few games over the weekend on Professional, with new sliders, and really enjoyed it - but felt (because of form, and bringing in a couple of free transfers) it was a little too easy (not MUCH too easy, just a little).

So, against my common sense, I played on World Class. As Tranmere, against Lincoln City in a league match. I've saved the footage too, but didn't have time to edit and upload.

In terms of general gameplay, it (surprisingly) felt really good, and not as cheaty as I'd imagined (possibly because they had a worse team in terms of OVR rating).

But.

A) It finished 4-4. I had the lead four times.
(This was on five minute halves, I was in a rush. On seven minutes, it would have been about 6-6.)

B) Every time I scored, the AI had equalised within 3 minutes.
(In the case of what I thought was the winning goal in the 89th minute, they equalised within one minute.)

C) Three of the AI's four goals were headers.
(Now, my big strong CB was out injured, but the other CBs I have are big enough and strong enough to stop one cross being converted, surely. They're professional footballers.)

D) With the score tied, every AI cross went out of play. When I had the lead, every AI cross met a head.
(This is with default pass error.)

E) Every headed shot was a goal. Every single one.
(Including one that looped in from outside the area.)

It's the first match I've played so far where it felt like a video game and not a game of football, 50% because as soon as I scored the AI's crossing became Beckham-esque, and 50% because every header was a goal and you could see it coming (a pet hate of all of ours, I think).

If they nerf headers a bit in the next patch, I'll be interested to see how the AI adapts...

You're basically describing the game I had as tottenham vs crewe in the fa cup on World Class. Also ended 4-4 and with all their goals being headers and otherwise exactly like you described. Just silly. Basically exactly like your game. Scripted indeed.

You're basically describing the game I had as tottenham vs crewe in the fa cup on World Class. Also ended 4-4 and with all their goals being headers and otherwise exactly like you described. Just silly. Basically exactly like your game. Scripted indeed.

Nah, it's not scripted. It's just that when the CPU adjusts it's attack/defensive mentality, it can have a huge impact on the game. If they go for the attack, because of their OP first touch passes, headers, and long shots, it just feels scripted because it's so hard to defend.

I now have a five at the back super defensive formation that I use when I feel like the CPU is going to go into super mode and it works pretty well. Really helps with defending the wing play and crosses but long shots are still an issue because of the space afforded by the backline at the top of the box. I've used this in FUT Squad Battles on Legendary against elite teams with perfect chemistry. If it can be done in FUT SBs, it can be done in CM for sure.

Nah, it's not scripted. It's just that when the CPU adjusts it's attack/defensive mentality, it can have a huge impact on the game. If they go for the attack, because of their OP first touch passes, headers, and long shots, it just feels scripted because it's so hard to defend.

I now have a five at the back super defensive formation that I use when I feel like the CPU is going to go into super mode and it works pretty well. Really helps with defending the wing play and crosses but long shots are still an issue because of the space afforded by the backline at the top of the box. I've used this in FUT Squad Battles on Legendary against elite teams with perfect chemistry. If it can be done in FUT SBs, it can be done in CM for sure.

Well, scripted might be the wrong word - but when Crewe Alexandra, one of the shittiest teams in the game, can basically tiki taka outplay Spurs without being touched, run faster than every Spurs players on the pitch, and win every header inside the box (but only when in a losing position), something is definitely not right somewhere. For the record, I had beaten Man City and Chelsea 5-1 and 4-1 respectively in the matches leading up to the Crewe match.

You don't see shit like that in "professional", but you do see the CPU making tactical adjustments and benefit from it (unless you counter act it). I just lost 2-0 to Tranmere (as Newport), having outplayed them in the first, they changed it around, choked my midfield and just squashed me in the second half.

Very irritating isn't it. Stops any quick counter attack
Just to confirm this. I've tried rolling the ball out using manual controls and it doesn't work. The keeper does an over arm throw. However, I just changed controls to assisted and magically, he is able to roll the ball out. This seriously needs fixing. Utterly ridiculous.

Well, scripted might be the wrong word - but when Crewe Alexandra, one of the shittiest teams in the game, can basically tiki taka outplay Spurs without being touched, run faster than every Spurs players on the pitch, and win every header inside the box (but only when in a losing position), something is definitely not right somewhere. For the record, I had beaten Man City and Chelsea 5-1 and 4-1 respectively in the matches leading up to the Crewe match.

You don't see shit like that in "professional", but you do see the CPU making tactical adjustments and benefit from it (unless you counter act it). I just lost 2-0 to Tranmere (as Newport), having outplayed them in the first, they changed it around, choked my midfield and just squashed me in the second half.

No offense but the CPU's ability to do these things, and whether you see it, is highly dependent on your own skill and what tactics you use.

In my Liverpool CM, anytime I played against a team under 4 stars, I blew them away. When I played against lower league squads in tournaments, even with playing my reserves, I was winning 5 or 6 to 0. Sometimes they'd get an odd goal but it truly felt like playing against a shit team. That's on Ultimate.

Meanwhile I've only been playing FUT Squad Battles lately, and you see the worst of the AI when it plays with chemistry boosts, and it's rare that I experience what you describe that I cannot attribute to my own playstyle, tactics, or ability. Shoot, I finish Elite 1 most weeks, which means I win more than I lose playing on Legendary, but the people in the top 100 are going pretty much undefeated and not conceding. So it's totally doable.

**Edit: I forgot to mention tactics. If you're playing a team that shouldn't be one touch passing as well as they are, immediately activate the team press option in the quick tactics. An elite team might be able to beat it but I use this on the regular if I'm feeling frustrated with my ability to gain possession back and it works a charm. I've also heard recommendations of using the overload ball side tactic but haven't really tried it.

Also, one of the best tips for defending when you're struggling against the CPU passing is to not play the man but play the next man.

Pressing works a treat this year. Use it if you're finding the CPU with too much space. I fully agree that there's flaws with the AI programming - what's new with these games - but it's totally possible to dominate lesser teams and with the right approach (and skill) you can defend against most of the bad AI bits.

Last edited:
It would appear it's to do with manual controls, as a few others have alluded to. I literally cannot get him to roll the ball out. So frustrating. I haven't tried on semi or assisted. I might give it a go tonight and feedback
Makes sense then as I'm using semi passing. Can't get along with manual this year.

The one thing that is really annoying is the lack of customisation within the camera settings. I like the broadcast camera, because of the angle it gives, but would like a slightly more zoomed in version or one that zooms in as the ball reaches the penalty area. On NBA 2k you can have a camera that zooms in automatically whenever the ball enters the paint and it helps create more immersion.

The only other camera I can tolerate is dynamic, but it is too side on and makes the pitch feel like it has no depth to it.

3 major problems with this game,:
Pace is non existent, as 60 pace defender can catch bale no problem
Shooting doesn t feel good, and button delay on shooting
Skill moves helps with nothing as catch up bug is there

3 major problems with this game,:
Pace is non existent, as 60 pace defender can catch bale no problem
Shooting doesn t feel good, and button delay on shooting
Skill moves helps with nothing as catch up bug is there

If he dont use his full speed(right stick) then yes , defender will catch you but if you use then no chance , tested it many times , Bale or mbappe are usstoppable when they have enough space. Guys R2 button doesnt mean that you use full speed :D

Last edited:
If he dont use his full speed(right stick) then yes , defender will catch you but if you use then no chance , tested it many times , Bale or mbappe are usstoppable when they have enough space. Guys R2 button doesnt mean that you use full speed :D

Not quite sure what you mean here. Right stick for full speed? Isn't holding down the sprint button enough to just sprint as fast as you can?

Back
Top Bottom