FIFA 19 Demo Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a review from a long time PES player from ISS pro PS1 so im not a natural Fifa fanboy. Like many I have longed for the good old days of PES to be replicated on next generation consoles but have been badly disappointed .
Gave the FIFA 19 demo a go on my PS Pro and I've got to say it has better Ai ,Presentation. Camera Angles ,commentary in fact it beats PES in every department and if Konami don't get their act together fast Fifa will kill PES off completely.
Little to fast for my liking but that can be ironed out with the sliders and should make the finished game awesome. Not keen on EA as a company but hats off they have delivered and they will get my money instead of Konami this year.
you speak what i think...:D

Hating might not be the right word but when you consider that denouncing the gamespeed as too fast is just about always included in the first impressions of the majority in here (and some people do it with pretty strong hate-like words), it ain't far off.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just find it curious that evo-web is about the only place I visit in which nearly everyone things the game is too fast. Most places the consensus is it's fine while hell in the beta forums there were more people saying it was too slow than too fast. Personally I find that interesting and wonder if it's down to demographics.

Maybe because here on EW we want a sim, a playable speed. I consider this site to be for the more discerning football gamer. We have strong opinions because we love football. I’ve been in here I can’t remember how many years and having been waiting for the sweet spot. Wanting long tape, dirty kits etc. Haters don’t last here on Evo-Web.

I’ve had another game this time on tele cam 0 Height 20 Zoom and it seems better not as fast or maybe it took a bit of settling in after playing the other football game. I loved the better and I hope I can stick the demo out for another couple of weeks.

Played this for around two hours tonight.

So so experience with this.

Pros
  • Presentation as always is exceptional
  • Animations - some very nice ones, especially shooting as always and some collisions
  • Tactics - teams do play differently, but there are AI issues here as well which may or may not show up in the full game
  • Atmosphere/audio/chanting - superb, makes you really feel you're involved
  • Commentary - a thousand notches above PES
  • AI - takes long shots
  • AI - doesn't repeat low crosses and has some variation
  • Individuality - improved again this year, Man City are nailed to a tee, Silva controls the game, De Bruyne is everywhere doing everything, Aguero constantly on the move, Walker making overlaps and Sterling being a nightmare to defend against, they have raised their game in this department, just a pity defenders don't have the same onus as attackers in this regard.
Cons
  • Gamespeed is simply far too fast, i'm sure sliders fix this but this out of the box is football on crack, ping pong passing end to end no midfield at times, just doesn't give you time to breathe and enjoy
  • Advanced throughballs and through balls generally are hugely overpowered and any player can hit them to pacy attackers, clearly the game is aimed at speedy players, this will make the online game far worse than PES..
  • Fouls - played 8 games had no fouls, worse than PES 2018 in this respect, the AI generally lacks aggression on legendary
  • AI defending - very very easy to scythe through teams and score, especially if you use advanced through balls
  • Crossing and heading - compared to PES, it's overpowered a very easy way to score is cross and header, no skill required (compared to the nuances of PES and the joy of figuring out the heading it feels cheap and easy)
  • Passing/long passing, i play assisted, but the lack of individuality is awful - defenders can ping 60-70 yard passes very accurately, far too overpowered.
  • AI - similiar to PES that there's no players that seem to dribble much against me
  • Chip trick - very easy - the advanced touch turns every player into Bergkamp/Edmundo/Le Tissier, very easy to knock the ball over players heads and get a volley off..
  • Overpowered skill moves - seems crazy that all these skill moves make getting 1 v 1 against the keeper on legendary is very easy, they also seem to be "sped up" it looks so unrealistic and arcade like
  • Passing - ping pong on assisted, of course i may go manual, but certainly PES is a far better expierence in this regard for me
  • AI challenge - didn't feel like a hard game to learn, and i shouldn't be beating legendary 3-0 in my first few games, i barely play FIFA. Feels like you don't have to learn too many of the nuances of the game to beat the AI, it's a shame, i want something where i am really challenged the only thing that does this properly is legendary on PES which is ridicously scripted and very hard, but rewarding if you manage to win.

What a bizarre game this is, it feels like two different games at times, one when you've got the ball patiently passing and slowly building up moves and another when the AI has it and warp speed is engaged... ping, ping, ping goes the ball 1st time at 1000mph.

Playing against Juve and they were rocketing it around so fast the damn camera was struggling to keep up and player select didn't have a hope either, you'd think that would be an indication to EA that it's FAR TOO FAST! But no, here we are. :LOL:

Not allowing us to change game speed in the demo is the kind of retarded decision Konami would be proud of, what is it with these football game developers!?!
Hahahahah, warp speed is engaged, im dying hahahahah

• AI - similiar to PES that there's no players that seem to dribble much against me

Really? I've had players run at me, do step overs, double drag backs (first to cut away from goal then back in), dummy it through their legs towards my goal and an assortment of other skills. I even saw Griezmann do a Bergkamp-esque flick around my defender (in the box) and then volley it first time. In my last match against Roma, the likes of El Shaarawy and Perotti were very aggressive offensively. It's not similar to PES 2019's AI in the least.

What I enjoy about the AI is sometimes they'll pull off something completely unpredictable akin to a human player.

Pros:
  • Physicality: Physicality and 50/50's are more randomized making footie feel more scrambling and exciting. Really enjoy it.
  • First Touch Error: Been seeing a lot of first touch error especially from players that are weak.
  • Pace difference: Looks like a balanced pace difference between fast and slow players. Not too overpowered and not too samey.
  • Custom Tactics: Definitely works with user controlled team and even CPU controlled team from time to time especially in build-up and defending phase.
  • Attacking AI: There is one thing I like about the attacking AI is that it's ruthless when it can be. It's not predictable and can surprise you when you are least expected. They also take long shots and dribble through your defense.
  • Dribbling: Smooth close control and even more animation with just left stick.

Cons:
  • Dribbling still doesn't feel as fluid as FIFA 16. It's feels so clunky and inertia is definitely not calculated right and its same for every player. Almost seems like the acceleration is like running through a quick sand.
  • Shooting and the overall ball physics doesn't feel as good as PES 2019. Atleast better than FIFA 18. However a bit too overpowered. Need some more variation on the height so that not all shots are top corner.
  • Passing is too lazer guided and accurate. It makes the game speed faster because CPU is not patient enough with their passing and doesn't hold up the ball long enough. I have seen the CPU controlling Roma in Legendary and having 88% passing completion. Full version hopefully fixes that as it feels like now it doesn't really take account of stats.
  • Not enough pressure from bigger teams in the build up. I can easily keep 65% possession against Real Madrid and Man City being Roma. Need more central pressure or closing down.
  • Attacking AI sometimes feels similar to different team. Most teams like to tiki taka on the box and score a goal and very identical. Want to see some long ball through the goal at times as well. Needs more variation.
  • Graphics, skin shader and player model is ugly. FIFA 16 have way graphics and shader than FIFA 19. Every player looks like zombies. Reminiscent of FIFA 09.

Overall it's better than FIFA 18. Not sure if it's better than FIFA 17 but more difficult than FIFA 17. However passing your way through the goal is way too easy and bigger teams don't pressure you enough in the build up.

Maybe because here on EW we want a sim, a playable speed. I consider this site to be for the more discerning football gamer. We have strong opinions because we love football. I’ve been in here I can’t remember how many years and having been waiting for the sweet spot. Wanting long tape, dirty kits etc. Haters don’t last here on Evo-Web.

Of course, that's why I spend time here. And like I said, if you want a true sim speed, you're looking at something in between FIFA's and PES's defaults. But this idea that FIFA's default speed isn't playable or that it's way too fast isn't about simulation, it's more about what people consider playable for them and that's crazy subjective and doesn't necessarily equate with realism.

The fact is both games are a mixed bag when it comes to animations - some of FIFA's are too fast and it can feel almost hyper responsive at the cost of not feeling like the proper weight; many of PES's are too slow and have the exact opposite problem that FIFA has.

IMO people who drop into the FIFA forum and play the demo for one hot minute haven't given themselves enough time to adjust from PES. If you're used to the way PES moves and feels, of course FIFA is going to feel gross and too hyper. (And I say this as someone currently struggling to readjust to FIFA after these last couple weeks with PES.) And people drop into PES forums saying how sluggish and unresponsive players are of course say that when they haven't given it enough time and are used to FIFA.

Not saying these opinions don't have some degree of truth at their core, but for a site of "discerning football gamers" it can seem like people can't wait to jump to conclusions that are clouded by their experiences and loyalties to one game or the other rather than give each a real chance.

Played this for around two hours tonight.

So so experience with this.

Pros

• Presentation as always is exceptional
    Animations - some very nice ones, especially shooting as always and some collisions
    Tactics - teams do play differently, but there are AI issues here as well which may or may not show up in the full game
    Atmosphere/audio/chanting - superb, makes you really feel you're involved
    Commentary - a thousand notches above PES
    AI - takes long shots
    AI - doesn't repeat low crosses and has some variation
    Individuality - improved again this year, Man City are nailed to a tee, Silva controls the game, De Bruyne is everywhere doing everything, Aguero constantly on the move, Walker making overlaps and Sterling being a nightmare to defend against, they have raised their game in this department, just a pity defenders don't have the same onus as attackers in this regard.
Cons

• Gamespeed is simply far too fast, i'm sure sliders fix this but this out of the box is football on crack, ping pong passing end to end no midfield at times, just doesn't give you time to breathe and enjoy
    Advanced throughballs and through balls generally are hugely overpowered and any player can hit them to pacy attackers, clearly the game is aimed at speedy players, this will make the online game far worse than PES..
    Fouls - played 8 games had no fouls, worse than PES 2018 in this respect, the AI generally lacks aggression on legendary
    AI defending - very very easy to scythe through teams and score, especially if you use advanced through balls
    Crossing and heading - compared to PES, it's overpowered a very easy way to score is cross and header, no skill required (compared to the nuances of PES and the joy of figuring out the heading it feels cheap and easy)
    Passing/long passing, i play assisted, but the lack of individuality is awful - defenders can ping 60-70 yard passes very accurately, far too overpowered.
    AI - similiar to PES that there's no players that seem to dribble much against me
    Chip trick - very easy - the advanced touch turns every player into Bergkamp/Edmundo/Le Tissier, very easy to knock the ball over players heads and get a volley off..
    Overpowered skill moves - seems crazy that all these skill moves make getting 1 v 1 against the keeper on legendary is very easy, they also seem to be "sped up" it looks so unrealistic and arcade like
    Passing - ping pong on assisted, of course i may go manual, but certainly PES is a far better expierence in this regard for me
    AI challenge - didn't feel like a hard game to learn, and i shouldn't be beating legendary 3-0 in my first few games, i barely play FIFA. Feels like you don't have to learn too many of the nuances of the game to beat the AI, it's a shame, i want something where i am really challenged the only thing that does this properly is legendary on PES which is ridicously scripted and very hard, but rewarding if you manage to win.
you have to play defense in midfield cutting off easy passing lanes and cpu will try other things besides quick ping pong passing. Also playing on broadcast camera isn't as easy as default camera plus looks better too.

Pros:

• Physicality: Physicality and 50/50's are more randomized making footie feel more scrambling and exciting. Really enjoy it.
    First Touch Error: Been seeing a lot of first touch error especially from players that are weak.
    Pace difference: Looks like a balanced pace difference between fast and slow players. Not too overpowered and not too samey.
    Custom Tactics: Definitely works with user controlled team and even CPU controlled team from time to time especially in build-up and defending phase.
    Attacking AI: There is one thing I like about the attacking AI is that it's ruthless when it can be. It's not predictable and can surprise you when you are least expected. They also take long shots and dribble through your defense.
    Dribbling: Smooth close control and even more animation with just left stick.

Cons:

• Dribbling still doesn't feel as fluid as FIFA 16. It's feels so clunky and inertia is definitely not calculated right and its same for every player. Almost seems like the acceleration is like running through a quick sand.
    Shooting and the overall ball physics doesn't feel as good as PES 2019. Atleast better than FIFA 18. However a bit too overpowered. Need some more variation on the height so that not all shots are top corner.
    Passing is too lazer guided and accurate. It makes the game speed faster because CPU is not patient enough with their passing and doesn't hold up the ball long enough. I have seen the CPU controlling Roma in Legendary and having 88% passing completion. Full version hopefully fixes that as it feels like now it doesn't really take account of stats.
    Not enough pressure from bigger teams in the build up. I can easily keep 65% possession against Real Madrid and Man City being Roma. Need more central pressure or closing down.
    Attacking AI sometimes feels similar to different team. Most teams like to tiki taka on the box and score a goal and very identical. Want to see some long ball through the goal at times as well. Needs more variation.
    Graphics, skin shader and player model is ugly. FIFA 16 have way graphics and shader than FIFA 19. Every player looks like zombies. Reminiscent of FIFA 09.

Overall it's better than FIFA 18. Not sure if it's better than FIFA 17 but more difficult than FIFA 17. However passing your way through the goal is way too easy and bigger teams don't pressure you enough in the build up.
yes Physicality and First Touch Error have improved from 18

here's a cpu player trying to make a run at me.

Last edited:
After a few games tonight loving the game very fluid my biggest gripe is when you get a break away as soon as your player gets near the ball he’s suddenly running in sand and instantly getting caught up

For those saying your players pass and shoot too accurately, try the new setting where you can set the difficulty of your AI team mates at the start of a match. By default it is legendary. I find on Pro or World Class they miss plenty if they are off balance in the slightest.

Thanks. Where exactly do you add the code? Tried at the top but still greyed out
Yes, same here. I have tried pasting those lines in several different places in the locale.ini but the speed option is still greyed out. Can anybody please share their locale.ini with these settings? Thank you

Well well well

Talk about not giving this a chance

It’s vital to find a camera setting and zoom you like and I have found mine.

How does anyone play on default camera? It limits the goal angles for me...

So I chopped and changed...

Boy....

How wrong was I?

Firstly, it’s too fast yes. But I can slow that down on full game.

It’s harder! CPU AI far more tactical. This game isn’t as predictable as PES 2019. Shooting is far more varied, I hit a shot with Pogba earlier and I thought I had scored but it was a wild effort and nearly hit the corner flag!

A tip for you if you hate sound of ball: put stadium ambience down to 5/10.

I like this it’s growing on me...I have just pre ordered.

I couldn’t go back to pes after this I must say ... far more depth in this short demo than PES 2019 full game.
Whats your camera settings? I keep changing all the time and can't find one im 100 % satisfied with.

Of course, that's why I spend time here. And like I said, if you want a true sim speed, you're looking at something in between FIFA's and PES's defaults. But this idea that FIFA's default speed isn't playable or that it's way too fast isn't about simulation, it's more about what people consider playable for them and that's crazy subjective and doesn't necessarily equate with realism.

The fact is both games are a mixed bag when it comes to animations - some of FIFA's are too fast and it can feel almost hyper responsive at the cost of not feeling like the proper weight; many of PES's are too slow and have the exact opposite problem that FIFA has.

IMO people who drop into the FIFA forum and play the demo for one hot minute haven't given themselves enough time to adjust from PES. If you're used to the way PES moves and feels, of course FIFA is going to feel gross and too hyper. (And I say this as someone currently struggling to readjust to FIFA after these last couple weeks with PES.) And people drop into PES forums saying how sluggish and unresponsive players are of course say that when they haven't given it enough time and are used to FIFA.

Not saying these opinions don't have some degree of truth at their core, but for a site of "discerning football gamers" it can seem like people can't wait to jump to conclusions that are clouded by their experiences and loyalties to one game or the other rather than give each a real chance.

I’ve always said flipping between the 2 games is a bad idea. You never seem to be happy with either by doing this. In an ideal world there would be a game with the best of both and you’re trying to find that by swapping between both.
I find it’s best to pick one and stick with it until you really dislike it and have tried everything then give the other one a try and do the same.
If you’re not happy after extended time with both then it just means you’ll never really be happy with either.

After a few games tonight loving the game very fluid my biggest gripe is when you get a break away as soon as your player gets near the ball he’s suddenly running in sand and instantly getting caught up

It has been since FIFA 18. I seriously hope they fix it in FIFA 19 release build. It feels so clunky when that happen.

Whats your camera settings? I keep changing all the time and can't find one im 100 % satisfied with.
Tele Broadcast

Height:- 20

Zoom:- 0

You see more of the pitch with the high camera and zoom out.

Game is a tiny bit slower because its zoomed out

Never understand people complaining game is too fast but play with close up cameras....never understand that. :)

[disclaimer: game is too fast ... but even faster if camera is close to action]

For those saying your players pass and shoot too accurately, try the new setting where you can set the difficulty of your AI team mates at the start of a match. By default it is legendary. I find on Pro or World Class they miss plenty if they are off balance in the slightest.
does it also effect the opposing AI as well??

What screen is that setting on?

After playing a couple of games i have to say it has a nice feel to it, if you can manage to play tiki taka u can score some nice teamwork passing goals, the defending is much much better and more responsive than 18, your players react even more now when you use tackle and jussle, i find myself cutting passing lanes more and taking the ball much more comfortably than in 18, but ofc it just needs that PES feeling when u move forward, i need to feel more satified when i break forward from the unmarked flank, to me PES is king in giving you the feeling of satisfaction when moving forward in build up, but all in all i like this demo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom