FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

Professional is actually the best difficulty when it comes to realism. However, the attacking AI isn't that great.

Realistic gameplay is so dependent upon our own skill levels, styles of play, and different game settings, I don't think we can say that one setting is more realistic than another. It's why no one slider set works for everyone. For me, Professional isn't realistic at all - I can literally dribble from end-to-end, rack up easy goals, and totally dominate. But I don't play all manual, which would make a big difference.

For me, Legendary is far more realistic, especially in attack. I still have to put up with some bullshit with the worst of the CPU's attacking play, but in my experience it's no where near as bad as what some people experience. Even though I see moments when the CPU will exploit one-touch passing or the driven pass, it doesn't ruin the game like it does for other people.

I may have to give world class a go Darkoj.
What are your settings?

With Placebo sliders first two games on Professional difficulty was against Sevilla all manual except for semi cross. I usually go all manual except for semi shot semi pass. However with these settings all manual passing was very comfortable and the manual shooting wasn't bad at all I won the first game 4-3 my biggest score line to date since purchasing the game, next game right after that was a derby against Atletico and I lost in the 92 minute 2-1. Best footy game I have played just have to keep working on my game and letting go some of my 16 habits.
Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Ok official love hate with these sliders. I shouldn't say sliders it is this dynamic AI coupled with the sliders that is engaging as all get out. Anyway next two games Leganes fuggin Leganes I squeak out a 0-0. Very next game against Barca 2-1 to me and I just knew deep down I was going to get an L. Tight tense affairs both games.

I finished with 64% pass accuracy the CPU 83%

The sliders slow the game down to a crawl. Which to me is a good thing.
Haven't even had the game for a month
Solid well programmed game. Can't stop playing enjoy your game guys. Absolutely engaging stuff.

I may have to give world class a go Darkoj.
What are your settings?

With Placebo sliders first two games on Professional difficulty was against Sevilla all manual except for semi cross. I usually go all manual except for semi shot semi pass. However with these settings all manual passing was very comfortable and the manual shooting wasn't bad at all I won the first game 4-3 my biggest score line to date since purchasing the game, next game right after that was a derby against Atletico and I lost in the 92 minute 2-1. Best footy game I have played just have to keep working on my game and letting go some of my 16 habits.
Thanks guys.
If you refering to me? :D
speed 20/20
acceleration 51/51
pass speed 33/33
pass accuracy 68/68
shot speed 45/45
shot accuracy 52/52
run frequency 20/20
marking 40/60
fb positioning 60/60
first touch error 70/70
heigh, width and lenght are like goalgerd sliders, I don't remember and I am not home right now.
slow, world class, full manual.
every game is different, good players stand out a lot, you have to work hard and plan every move. scring feels soo rewarding :)

I'm enjoying my matches a lot now. The defenders react to the ball, and are meeting the attackers properly. That was my biggest gripe before the slider changes.

Also, I am loving career mode. The dramatic/intense negotiations is a lot of fun, and engrossing. Really well played, EA.

Apart from the CPU AI constantly barging/outstrengthing every player and tackling like Maldini, the game is quite nice. But the stupid referee won't call any bloody fouls which is super annoying.

I totally agree sliders no sliders manual assisted. The CPU takes extreme predudice in body slamming you to the turf with very few if any fouls called. The one Achilles heel of the game for sure. I can see how it can be extremely aggravating for gamers it sure is for me, however I think of the trade off which would be end to end score fest and I don't want that either.

No game is perfect.

Fine game this year, but in my opinion some are a little to positive in some aspects.

For example are the negotations not even close to good. You can but everybody. No fight at all..

I'm enjoying my matches a lot now. The defenders react to the ball, and are meeting the attackers properly. That was my biggest gripe before the slider changes.

Also, I am loving career mode. The dramatic/intense negotiations is a lot of fun, and engrossing. Really well played, EA.

What version of sliders you use ? Version 3 ??

So I just received three Emails about my upcoming match with Everton being rescheduled:

Err ok then what was the point of that?
b0gDq_s-200x150.gif

Tried your sliders last night placebo. Had a good game, still couldn't score.

I think there is a bug in the upcoming matches. It always pops up and tells you who the team you are playing against are playing next. I would've thought it would be your own teams next fixture?

Starting to get used to FIFA 18 now, winning 6 games on the trot helps.

Defending is completely different this year and just really random, instead of tackling now you just have to jockey and hope the CPU gives the ball away.

Passing is still messed up and very scripted, my players still pass the ball to the player the AI thinks it should go to rather than the direction and strength of the pass I am trying to do.
Through balls are completely fooked and again goes to where the AI wants to put it rather than length and direction the button is pressed.
I have learnt to play around the anomalies of passing this year and 8/10 times the ball goes where I want it, although now I am playing a lot more balls using the lofted pass button when last year would of used ground pass.

Player movement is also a lot dumber this year, but it seems the AI of all players this year has gone down a notch or two.

Big improvements though:-
I now score alot more variation of goals compared to previous versions.
Every FIFA has a magical way of scoring, but this year you can score from distance, crosses, good build up play, much much more variation in type of goals.

The atmosphere of games is now much better, played Barcelona in the Champions League and went 3-0 up in the Nou Camp and just heard constant boos and this happens much more. Also hear boos sometimes when players aren't booked.
The only thing missing is custom chants, although Prem teams have their own custom chants it would be much better if there were more chants and for more teams.
I would love it if when I was Exeter at home and went a goal down and the fans started the song for 'Stanno'.

EA this year has improved a hundred little things, but messed up two big parts of the game.
So although I am enjoying FIFA 18, I am not 100% convinced it is an improvement over 17.

Tried your sliders last night placebo. Had a good game, still couldn't score.

I think there is a bug in the upcoming matches. It always pops up and tells you who the team you are playing against are playing next. I would've thought it would be your own teams next fixture?

Sometimes it tells me about my opponents next fixture and sometimes it my next game. I thought it was meant to be that way to keep up the authentic matchday presentation feel. In real life I guess they would mention upcoming games that they were showing or something so I think it is realistic in that sense?

My sliders:

Professional, 10Min halves, Slow, all manual controls
----------------
Sprint:
50/50
Acceleration: 50/50
Shot Error: 1/50
Pass Error: 1/91
Shot Speed: 45/45
Pass Speed: 55/45
Injury Frequency: 75/75
Injury Severity: 30/30
GK Ability: 35/35
Marking: 60/35
Run Frequency: 50/50
Height: 50/50
Length: 45/45
Width: 48/48
FB Positioning: 85/85
Power Bar: 65
FT Control: 75/99

(Stole Matt's layout from the Fifa17 slider thread!)

On paper they shouldn't be competitive and the game should be too easy, no idea if it's 18's professional/manual more manual/me getting old/crappy Championship players or what but despite being 2nd in the league after around 40 games I'm having to work hard every single game and the CPU has a much higher passing accuracy than me.

Thanks for these Placebo, i’m having a love / like (not hate) relationship with this game at the moment. But just played a couple of games as Southend and I quite enjoyed it. I’ve started a career and will see how it goes. I love the midfield scraps and loose balls.

Is there a career thread? At a glance I haven’t seen one.

EA should add two attributes to players:

Cursor change speed
Loose ball reaction

It seems this is the only difference between good and bad players. Pace,shooting stats,passing accuracy, dribbling are all victims of the awful scripting

Also fouls are non existent and I'm trying to get the balance right with sliders on Legendary...BORING!

I just can't wrap my head around the sudden increase in speed that occurs in certain matches. I've been playing with the latest OS sliders, and the speed of the game has been phenomenal, but started the game again now and it's just ... fucking, arrrgh, it's like it's on "fast" instead of "slow". I just don't get it. I did some testing which initially seemed to link the increase of speed with the record function of the PS4. If I saved a recording, it would alternate between going to fast and slow gamespeed on successive saving recordings. But not sure if I'm just imagining this, to be honest. It's bloody fucking annoying!

Sometimes I feel like I have a different FIFA from everyone else. I have times where slow defender can catch up with my fast wingers and barging him. All defenders position and jockey like they are world class defenders. Ronaldo, Messi, Hazard, etc doesn't know how to dribble and you can easily disposes them. Assisted passing feels like it's made for blind people since all you do is hit the pass button and it will go to the right player. My player can get shot down and killed but no foul. I can matches where it's fun and realistic and then I get matches where it feels like the CPU is on steroid.

Sometimes I feel like I have a different FIFA from everyone else. I have times where slow defender can catch up with my fast wingers and barging him. All defenders position and jockey like they are world class defenders. Ronaldo, Messi, Hazard, etc doesn't know how to dribble and you can easily disposes them. Assisted passing feels like it's made for blind people since all you do is hit the pass button and it will go to the right player. My player can get shot down and killed but no foul. I can matches where it's fun and realistic and then I get matches where it feels like the CPU is on steroid.

I had one of those last night. Me as England against Belgium. I was 1-0 down with 75 mins on the clock. From that point on, I did not touch the ball until the very last minute after they scored and I kicked off again. Every header, block, loose ball, pass went straight to their players and I honestly didn't have possession for the full 15 in-game minutes. In an absolute rage I restarted the match and smashed them 4-0, the complete opposite experience.

Well, so it's come to this. The inevitable one month in disappointment - as expected. Haha. There are a few issues with the game that is currently making it a bit hard to fully enjoy. Namely:

- difficulty vs pass assistance: fully assisted legendary is way too simple, but on manual or semi it's a bit too hard, if your pass is off by just a tiny bit, the receiving player's response is often poor, despite the ball being just a bit off him, resulting in losing the ball a lot in situations where you really shouldn't. This is really the crucial thing EA needs to fix in my opinion. If receiving player's response were better on this, the game would be fine enough. Playing on professional all manual with the OS sliders has been the best experience yet for me, but the CPU is just too weak going forward and defensively too passive too many times.
- manual through pass is ... I don't know what to say, it works over very short distances, but as soon as you want a through pass to go just a bit further and you hold the button a bit further, it's always overpowered. assisted through pass is way too effective.
- the sudden increase in speed in some matches. I just had a match against chelsea, it started off beautifully. set to slow using the OS sliders. suddenly, when Hazard gets the ball on the flank 30 min into the match, it's like all the animations of all the players start speeding up. I regain possession, and looking at Rose sprinting up the left side it's looking like a different game to the one I played just 30 seconds earlier! I have quite a few videos showing this, will upload tomorrow when I get the time. I just don't get this. Is it a part of the game to sort of make the game seem like it goes through hectic phases and calm phases? If so, it's badly implemented, due to the increase in speed of animations. It looks dreadful.
- poorer teams playing just like the best teams in the game. I played against Real Madrid, got a 0-0 draw, the match was great. Next game, I tried Crewe Alexandra - they played better than Real Madrid, pressured me more, created more going forward, shaked Kane off the ball more easily than Ramos at Real had done. I won 1-0 thanks to a pen, but I conceded way more chances than against Real, and created fewer for myself. This just needs to be fixed somehow, and I reckon it should be done through my next point ...
- player stats simply need to matter more! this one is flabbergasting. forget what I said about pass response being the most important thing. If EA had gotten this right, I wouldn't have had to balance the game on my own through disabling myself with having to use manual passing. If pass stats and general player stats reflected how well players passed and did the things they did, we'd have an amazing game on our hands. But WHY, oh fucking WHY, does so many stats seemingly not do anything?! It's mindblowing.

So yeah - I'm in the usual "trying to find a good balance in the game to play a decent career mode" phase which comes at about a month in (usually of playing PES, for me). I don't know if there's any light in the end of the tunnel to be honest. I could play on and just try to ignore the annoying things, but especially the stats thing does my head in. Why does it seemingly not matter. I just don't get it.

im in the bottom 3 of my mater league as liverpool now and to be honest i can only blame myself. Last 3 games i have drawn 2 and lost 1. The two draws were against stoke and west brom both using deep crosses against my back 3 that i failed to handle and also one back pass in the other game i was winning made it an easy finish for the striker. Everton smashed me 5 - 2 - again i was winning put got a man sent off and gave away a penalty then i was always in trouble.

For internation jobs i always said to myself im not going to bother and turned down 3 jobs by december, until Brazil came in for me..as if...but im not complaining signed up straight away. Can't wait for the first game.

Guys, new to FIFA having made the move from PES this year.
I'm just starting a tournament, Premier League. I've updated squads, which is fine, but come January, with the new transfer window, will any squad updates not work in the League I've started?
I was hoping to make one League last all season, alongside the real thing, but may have to start another come February if new transfers aren't applied to currently saved games?

Back
Top Bottom