FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

Wait, is there another new patch out now, or the one that came out last week? I haven't played for a few days, so will cut the internet connection if a new patch makes the game duller.

I'm on PS4 and the 1.5gb patch of last week made things boring, Maybe the PC version is better and maybe I'm just wrong.

Is there any way to edit the position of players in the various formations? It kind of sucks that you can only choose between so many formations.

You can drag the players anywhere on the tactic screen if that's what you mean..think you hold x or square and then move the left stick

You can drag the players anywhere on the tactic screen if that's what you mean..think you hold x or square and then move the left stick

Ah, thanks! I haven't been able to do that. Nice.

Still flickering sliders. Found a set that is nice on professional, but it's way too easy to defend on professional. Upping the difficulty to worldclass and it's almost impossible to score (with semi passing). Assisted passing is just too easy. Can't believe pass stats don't count for shit in neither this nor PES this year.

Enjoying this so much, blown away by lots of little touches, like the audio changes they've made, when they do the prematch handshake you hear the handslaps and the "good luck" etc. if there's a heavy challenge that isn't given as a foul you hear a few odd voices in the crowd yelling at the ref.

In terms of gameplay I'm still in the championship but really noticing a lot of variety in the way teams play, especially in terms of which teams press, which teams don't, which press high and give you no time to breathe, which press only in their half, makes a huge difference in how I play my game the quicker I get a sense of the opponent's playing style, started a match against Sunderland and they were really strong at first and I was passing too quickly and giving the ball back to them, I suddenly noticed that they weren't pressing at all, not in my half or their own they were standing off me, so I stopped passing so quickly and held onto the ball longer before making passes to ensure I was passing to someone in space or that had made a good run and I was quickly 3-0 up before halftime with three very different but really well worked goals.

Noticed a nice touch when playing Newcastle as Spurs yesterday. The home crowd booed Danny Rose every time he had the ball (presumably because he's once played for Sunderland), as well as Moussa Sissoko (much hated former player). Loved that. :D

In the fourth window of my player career the manager finally signed someone, and he turned out to be a gem! First time I've scored a goal in Fifa so perfect the keeper doesn't even move!

Sorry for the wonky camera work!

Peach!

I'm struggling in normal sliders on professional, playing manual.

I'm thinking of changing to a set of sliders, are you using Matt's? Do you play manual?

In the fourth window of my player career the manager finally signed someone, and he turned out to be a gem! First time I've scored a goal in Fifa so perfect the keeper doesn't even move!

Sorry for the wonky camera work!

Magnificent goal, indeed.
Well, BTW you'd better use Nvidia in-game overlay instead of the wonky camera work next time.

Hi all. We updated our OS sliders to Version 3. Hope you guys try it out and enjoy!

FIFA 18 Operation Sports Sliders | Version 3
World Class/Legendary, 10-15 Mins, Slow Speed
as of 10/14/17

Sprint Speed - 51/50 - The idea of a slight increase for the user is so the user is not constantly barged off the ball by the CPU. Also allows the user players to react better to loose balls, etc. Increases good chance of physicality as well.

Acceleration - 50/50 - Has been no reason to change this value as it is continuing to be solid.

Shot Error - 52/52 - Good mix of efforts from distance, shots on target, and wayward shots. Adjust as necessary, and minutes chosen.

Pass Error - 55/55 - Solid balance here of bad passes, good passes, driven passes and varied crossing. Best part is that the pass values do not affect variety.

Shot Speed - 50/50 - Happy with this value as lower will look too floaty, and higher will be a bit of a rocket. Shot error has a role to play as well.

Pass Speed - 45/30 - One of the elements to get the game playing on an even level playing field. The user's defense is just too passive by default, unlike the CPU defense which is ultra aware and react well. Lowering the CPU's pass speed allows the user's defenders to react to the ball much better, and with the adjustment to the length below it lets everything come together nicely. Remember, the driven pass is still used by the CPU, so if the value is at 30, a driven pass can look like a true 50.

Injury Frequency - 50/50 - Still being looked at, no set value just yet.

Injury Severity - 50/50 - Same as above, still being looked and no set value yet.

GK Ability - 42/42 - No real complaints here. It has room to go lower, but too low and the GK will duck below shots when he should be staying upright.

Marking - 50/50 - Happy to be able to move this up for the user from the previous 40 value. With the adjustments to the lines, the even marking now lets the CTT's to take place and bring in a bit more individuality from a defensive point of view. The CPU's auto-passing is lessened, so the user's defense has a fighting chance in the defensive third instead of being dominated constantly.

Run Frequency - 50/50 - Does what it should, and is still a bit strange to have it this high. Lowering will sometimes cause more tiki-taka rather than a more controlled approach, so higher pass % that way. As Orion always says, keeping it closer to default does allow the CTT's to stick out a bit more, so we'll go with that unless things go awry.

Height - 52/50 - Gives the user just a slight bump in their defensive presence. The CPU plays like they're on a 60 height because of how well they react to the ball, so again we need to balance things here.

Length - 50/50 - Love this change. Oddly enough it's a basic one, but we've been all over the map, and the concept is simple. Lowering the value under 50 seems to promote more passive play by the User's teammate AI. The thinking here is that the defensive line places a priority for the midfielders to go mark the forwards. So once the forwards get past the midfield, like they do on lower lengths, the midfielders are dropping into the position of the defenders, so the as a result - the defenders don't have a big emphasis to do anything. With the length increase, we now see an increase in attention and reaction. In addition, the increased length lets the players to "meet" and thus create more physicality. More players in the passing lanes is always a catalyst for more variety as well.

Width - 48/48 - Have kept this value for a bit. Don't want to go too wide because then it takes players out of those passing lanes, and the CPU will just pass the ball forward as quick as possible.

FB Positioning - 50/50 - One of those values that is a bit temperamental, and can affect the value of run frequency. Would be a bit of a balancing act, and the CTT's seem to control the way teams attack anyways, so no need to look into this area too far.

FT Control - 55/55 - Good balance of bad touches, touches under pressure and with the user's Sprint at 51, it allows the user to have a fighting chance in 50/50 challenges. Can see some great tussles and physicality as a result.

Hi all. We updated our OS sliders to Version 3. Hope you guys try it out and enjoy!

FIFA 18 Operation Sports Sliders | Version 3
World Class/Legendary, 10-15 Mins, Slow Speed
as of 10/14/17

Sprint Speed - 51/50 - The idea of a slight increase for the user is so the user is not constantly barged off the ball by the CPU. Also allows the user players to react better to loose balls, etc. Increases good chance of physicality as well.

Acceleration - 50/50 - Has been no reason to change this value as it is continuing to be solid.

Shot Error - 52/52 - Good mix of efforts from distance, shots on target, and wayward shots. Adjust as necessary, and minutes chosen.

Pass Error - 55/55 - Solid balance here of bad passes, good passes, driven passes and varied crossing. Best part is that the pass values do not affect variety.

Shot Speed - 50/50 - Happy with this value as lower will look too floaty, and higher will be a bit of a rocket. Shot error has a role to play as well.

Pass Speed - 45/30 - One of the elements to get the game playing on an even level playing field. The user's defense is just too passive by default, unlike the CPU defense which is ultra aware and react well. Lowering the CPU's pass speed allows the user's defenders to react to the ball much better, and with the adjustment to the length below it lets everything come together nicely. Remember, the driven pass is still used by the CPU, so if the value is at 30, a driven pass can look like a true 50.

Injury Frequency - 50/50 - Still being looked at, no set value just yet.

Injury Severity - 50/50 - Same as above, still being looked and no set value yet.

GK Ability - 42/42 - No real complaints here. It has room to go lower, but too low and the GK will duck below shots when he should be staying upright.

Marking - 50/50 - Happy to be able to move this up for the user from the previous 40 value. With the adjustments to the lines, the even marking now lets the CTT's to take place and bring in a bit more individuality from a defensive point of view. The CPU's auto-passing is lessened, so the user's defense has a fighting chance in the defensive third instead of being dominated constantly.

Run Frequency - 50/50 - Does what it should, and is still a bit strange to have it this high. Lowering will sometimes cause more tiki-taka rather than a more controlled approach, so higher pass % that way. As Orion always says, keeping it closer to default does allow the CTT's to stick out a bit more, so we'll go with that unless things go awry.

Height - 52/50 - Gives the user just a slight bump in their defensive presence. The CPU plays like they're on a 60 height because of how well they react to the ball, so again we need to balance things here.

Length - 50/50 - Love this change. Oddly enough it's a basic one, but we've been all over the map, and the concept is simple. Lowering the value under 50 seems to promote more passive play by the User's teammate AI. The thinking here is that the defensive line places a priority for the midfielders to go mark the forwards. So once the forwards get past the midfield, like they do on lower lengths, the midfielders are dropping into the position of the defenders, so the as a result - the defenders don't have a big emphasis to do anything. With the length increase, we now see an increase in attention and reaction. In addition, the increased length lets the players to "meet" and thus create more physicality. More players in the passing lanes is always a catalyst for more variety as well.

Width - 48/48 - Have kept this value for a bit. Don't want to go too wide because then it takes players out of those passing lanes, and the CPU will just pass the ball forward as quick as possible.

FB Positioning - 50/50 - One of those values that is a bit temperamental, and can affect the value of run frequency. Would be a bit of a balancing act, and the CTT's seem to control the way teams attack anyways, so no need to look into this area too far.

FT Control - 55/55 - Good balance of bad touches, touches under pressure and with the user's Sprint at 51, it allows the user to have a fighting chance in 50/50 challenges. Can see some great tussles and physicality as a result.

Pretty close to what I've been using. Only main differences are pass speed and I don't get the need for the speed discrepancy.

For pass speed, I have user at 50. I think the speed of normal passes is just fine; don't see the need to lower it. Driven passes can be an eyesore and a bit OP at times, but I consider it a necessary evil to keep normal passing feeling right. But I rarely use the driven ground pass, no point to me in lowering user pass speed. Passing can feel sluggish enough at times.

I understand the desire to lower the CPU pass speed, but I think this is more about difficulty levels rather than realism.
For me, anytime I lower it below 45 for CPU, it's just too easy to defend. On Legendary even. Plus the speed of some passes and low crosses are just off. Combine lower CPU pass speeds with increased FT Control - definitely way too easy. This is probably a good slider to adjust to make defending easier, though going much lower than 45 and I find realism take a hit.

The Sprint Speed discrepancy to deal with CPU barging players off the ball? I guess this must be dependent upon user skill level too 'cause I have no idea where this issue is coming from. I have no problems with retaining possession and have zero issues with being barged off the ball.

Everything else looks pretty good. I don't lower GKs either, but I don't play with manual shooting and score enough goals as is. I'd probably lower them if I was playing manual, but at default don't see the need.

Can the user do that defending the AI does where it gets between you and the ball and muscles you out? Is it tactical defending as I can't do it on legacy..not complaining just wondered

Peach!

I'm thinking of changing to a set of sliders, are you using Matt's? Do you play manual?

I play all manual yes, using my own sliders, also on professional, pretty much passing error 99 and first touch error 99 for the CPU, they still complete most of their passes and still have good first touches most of the time, tis quite odd, but the balance is working for me and it's easily the most enjoyable Fifa I've played.

Magnificent goal, indeed.
Well, BTW you'd better use Nvidia in-game overlay instead of the wonky camera work next time.

AMD card ;) Turned on reshade after remembering I had it and for some reason it only recorded audio which wasn't much use! Will test it next time before assuming it recorded right!

Finally had a chance to play again last night for an extended spell and really enjoying it now. Had fiddled with sprint/acceleration sliders (still using goalgerd's as a base) trying to address my issue with the CPU physicality and ended with what Matt10 had posted above, so it's nice to see that validated.

Seems like they've resolved some issues with clipping and player models, and passes and loose balls are getting through that I don't think would have in past versions as a result. Could be making talking out of my ass on that, certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Not a perfect game by any stretch but having a great time so far.

I'm still getting these really fast matches, even on slow, where everything seems to be almost twice the speed it should be (like I imagine "fast" should be). It's really weird. Sometimes a kickoff match helps sort it, but other times it will just appear in the middle of a career.

Anyone else finding the CPU to be overly strong/physical on legendary? It's like every opponent is just too beefed up in every battle for a ball. Harry Kane just got muscled off the ball by Eden Hazard. Hazard is a fantastic player in many aspects, but I don't think I've ever seen him shoulder to shoulder muscle anyone off the ball, let alone a beast like Harry Kane. Not seeing this on professional or worldclass.

Something I'm just learning is quite OP is the LB/L1 dribble modifier. This is something people have been talking about elsewhere, but I'm just now getting the hang of it. Usually I have a tendency to use the shield mechanic right upon receiving a pass but wow, using L1 instead is so much better in terms of creating space and openings.

If you're having issues dribbling and retaining possession, especially around the box, then I'd recommend using the L1 modifier. You can easily spin a defender and create space. Pass into a striker, L1 dribble, turn and you can often get an easy shot off.

I know people complain about all the buttons but dribbling is the most powerful it's ever been with all the tools at your disposal. The L1 modifier is really great once you play around with it a bit.

How ? It is a button command ?

Yeah, when running alongside an attacker, use the tackle button. It's a shoulder barge but if you're in good position your player will get in front and shield the ball.

Pretty close to what I've been using. Only main differences are pass speed and I don't get the need for the speed discrepancy.

For pass speed, I have user at 50. I think the speed of normal passes is just fine; don't see the need to lower it. Driven passes can be an eyesore and a bit OP at times, but I consider it a necessary evil to keep normal passing feeling right. But I rarely use the driven ground pass, no point to me in lowering user pass speed. Passing can feel sluggish enough at times.

I understand the desire to lower the CPU pass speed, but I think this is more about difficulty levels rather than realism.
For me, anytime I lower it below 45 for CPU, it's just too easy to defend. On Legendary even. Plus the speed of some passes and low crosses are just off. Combine lower CPU pass speeds with increased FT Control - definitely way too easy. This is probably a good slider to adjust to make defending easier, though going much lower than 45 and I find realism take a hit.

The Sprint Speed discrepancy to deal with CPU barging players off the ball? I guess this must be dependent upon user skill level too 'cause I have no idea where this issue is coming from. I have no problems with retaining possession and have zero issues with being barged off the ball.

Everything else looks pretty good. I don't lower GKs either, but I don't play with manual shooting and score enough goals as is. I'd probably lower them if I was playing manual, but at default don't see the need.

The pass speed is vital. The animation that gets triggered is one in which the player is trying to intercept the ball. In addition, the CPU attackers are checking to the ball versus running away, and taking a defender with them. The rule of thumb is max pass speed. If it's on 60, they can pass upwards to 80 level passes, if it's 40, it can go to 60; if it's 30, then max it can look is a 50. With FIFA 18 seemingly more similar to 16, due to the driven pass, this concept remains to be intact.

The Sprint Speed has always been the reaction slider for FIFA. We have used it for several years now. By default, the user's teammate AI react later, and have trouble reacting to the location of the ball in 50/50 situations. This is why you see a lot of ball watching with air balls, crosses, and passes in the defensive third. It's not just used for preventing the barge, it's also used as a means to regain possession, or have a better chance of it, against the CPU. You still have to have the required user skill, as you mentioned, to pull the mechanics off, but at least now you're in control a split second sooner versus being at the mercy of the CPU.

The pass speed is vital. The animation that gets triggered is one in which the player is trying to intercept the ball. In addition, the CPU attackers are checking to the ball versus running away, and taking a defender with them. The rule of thumb is max pass speed. If it's on 60, they can pass upwards to 80 level passes, if it's 40, it can go to 60; if it's 30, then max it can look is a 50. With FIFA 18 seemingly more similar to 16, due to the driven pass, this concept remains to be intact.

The Sprint Speed has always been the reaction slider for FIFA. We have used it for several years now. By default, the user's teammate AI react later, and have trouble reacting to the location of the ball in 50/50 situations. This is why you see a lot of ball watching with air balls, crosses, and passes in the defensive third. It's not just used for preventing the barge, it's also used as a means to regain possession, or have a better chance of it, against the CPU. You still have to have the required user skill, as you mentioned, to pull the mechanics off, but at least now you're in control a split second sooner versus being at the mercy of the CPU.

Vital to what? Because I consider having a threatening CPU attack vital. And as I said, for me when pass speed gets too low for the CPU, it gets too easy (not to mention immersion suffers because of the unrealistic sluggish ball speed at times). Same with Sprint Speed. And with speed and dribbling already killer powerful this year, giving myself that advantage doesn't make sense. Nor do I see it necessary for my skill level.

FIFA is balanced the way it is for a reason. Yes, there are certainly issues, but go too far from default, and while you solve one issue, another (if not more) often arises. You may be fine with the byproducts of such a low pass speed; I'm not.

If you're struggling with the speed of the game, then yeah, I can see how making those changes would help. I only really struggle when I'm against top teams and when the CPU is playing aggressive in attack. If I make changes so that the worst of the CPU's abusive play is mitigated, yes it helps those situations, but for all the rest, it becomes too easy.

Vital to what? Because I consider having a threatening CPU attack vital. And as I said, for me when pass speed gets too low for the CPU, it gets too easy (not to mention immersion suffers because of the unrealistic sluggish ball speed at times). Same with Sprint Speed. And with speed and dribbling already killer powerful this year, giving myself that advantage doesn't make sense. Nor do I see it necessary for my skill level.

FIFA is balanced the way it is for a reason. Yes, there are certainly issues, but go too far from default, and while you solve one issue, another (if not more) often arises. You may be fine with the byproducts of such a low pass speed; I'm not.

If you're struggling with the speed of the game, then yeah, I can see how making those changes would help. I only really struggle when I'm against top teams and when the CPU is playing aggressive in attack. If I make changes so that the worst of the CPU's abusive play is mitigated, yes it helps those situations, but for all the rest, it becomes too easy.

Vital to the balance of the game. I went from getting dominated by Scunthorpe United as Chelsea, in the defensive third, to actually putting up a fight. You give the CPU too much pass speed and they will abuse it with driven passes to their forwards as the number one, direct, play.

I didn't just stumble upon 30 pass speed, it was scaled from 55. I'm a fan of faster pace on the ball, but I'm not going to sit back and watch my defenders watch the ball go straight to a forward, at any given moment. Sorry, that's unrealistic.

I've heard the comments of "go far from default", I work on sliders, if I had a penny for everytime i heard that and heard everytime someone wanted to isolate one value, I'd be rich. Sliders are relative to one another. The 30 pass speed works with the combination of the set provided. Isolating it is pointless, especially if you haven't played the set.

The power of suggestion is a big problem. This is why I'll often post videos, then slider values later. It's amazing how far off the guesses are on the values. Just goes to show why isolating values is detrimental to building a set. Thankfully, sliders are there in the first place so anyone can adjust to what they see fit.

Vital to the balance of the game. I went from getting dominated by Scunthorpe United as Chelsea, in the defensive third, to actually putting up a fight. You give the CPU too much pass speed and they will abuse it with driven passes to their forwards as the number one, direct, play.

I didn't just stumble upon 30 pass speed, it was scaled from 55. I'm a fan of faster pace on the ball, but I'm not going to sit back and watch my defenders watch the ball go straight to a forward, at any given moment. Sorry, that's unrealistic.

I've heard the comments of "go far from default", I work on sliders, if I had a penny for everytime i heard that and heard everytime someone wanted to isolate one value, I'd be rich. Sliders are relative to one another. The 30 pass speed works with the combination of the set provided. Isolating it is pointless, especially if you haven't played the set.

The power of suggestion is a big problem. This is why I'll often post videos, then slider values later. It's amazing how far off the guesses are on the values. Just goes to show why isolating values is detrimental to building a set. Thankfully, sliders are there in the first place so anyone can adjust to what they see fit.

Vital to the balance of your game. If you can't handle Scunthorpe United with Chelsea, that's important context, and your sliders make sense in that context. Maybe it's the way you play, but while I see the CPU abusing driven passes, it's not enough a problem to make it a focus. Don't get me wrong, I hate the driven pass, but it's not one of the top issues causing imbalances.

Sure, the driven pass and the way the CPU is able to exploit it sometimes is not realistic. But neither are the outcomes that I've seen when going so low with pass speed. To each's own, but I'll suffer the few instances of abusive driven pass so that regular passing remains realistic and the CPU remains challenging to defend against.

Vital to the balance of your game. If you can't handle Scunthorpe United with Chelsea, that's important context, and your sliders make sense in that context. Maybe it's the way you play, but while I see the CPU abusing driven passes, it's not enough a problem to make it a focus. Don't get me wrong, I hate the driven pass, but it's not one of the top issues causing imbalances.

Sure, the driven pass and the way the CPU is able to exploit it sometimes is not realistic. But neither are the outcomes that I've seen when going so low with pass speed. To each's own, but I'll suffer the few instances of abusive driven pass so that regular passing remains realistic and the CPU remains challenging to defend against.

That's fine, it's not just my game, man. We have multiple testers and feedback from multiple individuals. We pushed polls on the values, and received feedback on those polls.

It's not just driven passes. It's passes forward, to the attackers. The defenders wont' react in time, they stand flat footed, and let the forward receive the ball. I can definitely force myself to control all 4 defenders to step forward, but they should do that on their own, relative to the values and CTT values. It's common sense to step on a forward, and not allow them to turn. Passes forward should have some risk/reward. For the CPU, relative to the set, with a high pass speed, there is no balance.

FWIW, as I've said, I tested from a value of 55 pass speed, all the way down to 30.

Again, not going to spend anymore time talking about an isolated value because it's kind of pointless. Sliders are relative to one another, so we're doing an injustice here overall.

Peach!

There is a problem with manual setting and powerbar speed, it's way too slow if you play manual set the power bar to 60. it will make a world of a difference in response time.

I love everything about this game except for the dribbling, the strength of the CPU on legendary(they always outstrength me no matter who I am) and how easy it is to pass. @Matt10 sliders did make the game a bit harder but it's still too easy to pass my way through goal.

Also I can't use manual passing since I still use the d-pad.

Back
Top Bottom