FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

@Topaz, I feel exactly the same about the dribbling.

BUT, I blame myself, and that's why I never really talk about it. I absolutely hate with a passion the dribbling/trick system in FIFA. I just don't have the mental agility (possibly not even the thumb dexterity) to...

A) Judge when I'm in the right place to start a dribble move, B) pick an appropriate dribble move (rather than just spamming the only one I know all the time), C) remember how to do it perfectly, e.g. press L2 and then wibble the stick from 70 degrees to 135 degrees clockwise and back again. I just can't do it.

But that's not the game's fault. I just wish there was an "auto dribble" system I could use offline, so that I could let the stats decide what happens.

It feels very "kiddy", to me. But I might just be making an excuse for myself. I much prefer PES's dribbling system (it's one of the few things I like about the game this year to be blunt). But until I sit down and try to learn how to do basic dribble moves, I'm just going to keep passing around the Ronaldos...

But left stick dribbling just isn't a thing in FIFA. Which is sad for you (and me), but, I do understand why it is the way it is.

You know I think I've seen a couple of messages like this from you, Chris. I think you're limiting yourself.

Whether it is PES or FIFA it really is not that hard to do stuff with the Tricks Stick. All you have to do is go to the train arena try different combinations all the time, or watch a couple of YouTube videos, and once you find 3 or 4 that you really like and feel comfortable with or feel they could be useful for the way you play, practice them there. Really practice them. In different parts of the pitch (because they are not performed the same way if you are on one side of it as in if you are on the other one). And then go into a match and try to put it in motion in an actual match. Try to do it a few times in the right situations and before you know it you'll have them incorporated and you'll do it almost mechanically and effortlessly.

But don't limit yourself thinking "I'm not a kid anymore, my fingers and my mind are not so quick for these things...". Kids just practice it tirelessly, that's the real trick.

There's a lot of talk about FIFA 16's dribbling. FIFA 16's dribbling was good, but it was a product of the higher chance to burst through the entire team. This was caused by lack of defending awareness, and poor angles taken by the defending players. This is why we had to build sliders that circulated around fixing this exploit, which was creating a lower acceleration value of 48, and using a catch up speed by way of Sprint at 52.

I'd much rather have the dribbling of FIFA 18 because it has fixed the bursting from 15/16/17. Like some have said, if you want to be able to beat players, you can use close control dribble a bit more...or from a sliders view...you can lower CPU's acceleration from 50 to 49, then raise their Sprint to 51 from 50 to make up for the catch up.

Much thanks to Rockyj for the advanced dribbling tutorial. After one watch was able to get the Building Bridges trophy. Will have to add that to my other bits and bobs and get better at skinning the defenders I am so stuck on dribbling like this game is 16 and it is very different from 16. Also some might like some not but with this advanced dribbling the burst into open space is very much alive however I will say it is so unpredictable I gave the ball away more than I was able to successfully build an attacking sequence.
Thanks

Last edited:
Here is the best dribbler(Ronaldo) against the worst defender(Crewe Alexandra player) and this keeps happening. I normally dribble with left stick and I can't get past any player regardless of their stats:

ezgif-4-1f6d52dd7d.gif

Now I still win most matches and all of my goals are from passing. I have yet to dribble past a player 1 on 1.

Color me confused. You square up against the defender with very little speed or anything advantageous in your positioning or momentum, and you expect to just dribble around the defender? No wonder you're having troubles.

Forgetting the discussion of whether dribbling is better in PES or FIFA, one thing for sure is that this is the easiest year I can remember for dribbling past CPU defenders. Yes, skills and feints are most effective, but it's not as if you need to do anything elaborate - a simple step over or ball roll will skin and freeze CPU defenders this year.

Just as in FIFA, in real life you're not going to see dribblers waltz by defenders unless they have momentum at their advantage, use clever knock-ons, or they do some feints. This is exactly how it is in FIFA and I really don't get the people who are saying they are having difficulties with this. I have zero issues skinning defenders on Legendary, and I rarely do anything all that special.

You guys who play as a smaller team (PL or the championship) and either play assisted or semi passing on Work class/Legendary,what pass % do you usually face?
Any difference between facing City or Bournemouth for example!

I've seen as low as 69% in cup games against lower teams, the highest I've seen is 87% in premiership on legendary
Good news,im on 17 because I'm a cheap bastard:)
Bought it a few weeks back,and getting 18 next week I guess.
Anyway,good news mate,and a big thanx for letting me know,my main issue on 16 was just that,to high pass% ,seems balanced in 18
Thanks Hitman

hey Chuny, are You gonna make gfx mod like for fifa 17?

I did. Started working on it. But...
It requires ReShade. ReShade requires to run on DX11. FIFA is a DX12 game. I know you can set FIFA to run with DX11, but I've noticed a little graphics degradation, specially in lighting. Also, somehow FIFA 18 runs smoother for me with DX12 than when set to DX11. So unless they update ReShade to support DX12 games, the project will remain dead...

There's a lot of talk about FIFA 16's dribbling. FIFA 16's dribbling was good, but it was a product of the higher chance to burst through the entire team. This was caused by lack of defending awareness, and poor angles taken by the defending players. This is why we had to build sliders that circulated around fixing this exploit, which was creating a lower acceleration value of 48, and using a catch up speed by way of Sprint at 52.

I'd much rather have the dribbling of FIFA 18 because it has fixed the bursting from 15/16/17. Like some have said, if you want to be able to beat players, you can use close control dribble a bit more...or from a sliders view...you can lower CPU's acceleration from 50 to 49, then raise their Sprint to 51 from 50 to make up for the catch up.

You know what, I strongly disagree.
FIFA 16 dribbling MECHANICS were better. Regardless of player's awareness, or whatever. I'm talking about one on one situations. Wrong footing a defender or body postures, animations, worked better for dribbling on FIFA 16.

@Topaz, I feel exactly the same about the dribbling.

BUT, I blame myself, and that's why I never really talk about it. I absolutely hate with a passion the dribbling/trick system in FIFA. I just don't have the mental agility (possibly not even the thumb dexterity) to...

A) Judge when I'm in the right place to start a dribble move, B) pick an appropriate dribble move (rather than just spamming the only one I know all the time), C) remember how to do it perfectly, e.g. press L2 and then wibble the stick from 70 degrees to 135 degrees clockwise and back again. I just can't do it.

But that's not the game's fault. I just wish there was an "auto dribble" system I could use offline, so that I could let the stats decide what happens.

It feels very "kiddy", to me. But I might just be making an excuse for myself. I much prefer PES's dribbling system (it's one of the few things I like about the game this year to be blunt). But until I sit down and try to learn how to do basic dribble moves, I'm just going to keep passing around the Ronaldos...

But left stick dribbling just isn't a thing in FIFA. Which is sad for you (and me), but, I do understand why it is the way it is.

Also considering the fact that I play both PES 2018 and FIFA 18 often, it's really surprising how different left stick dribbling feels on both games. When I play PES 2018, I don't have to worry about using right stick, shielding or auto-cancel since it's all mostly contextual based on player identity. However in FIFA 18, it's a bit more manual. Which I understand why FIFA 18 did it. It is to increase the skill gap between players online. However, that doesn't mean I have to enjoy switching back and forth into two different dribbling system. Which is also why I prefer FIFA 16 dribbling system.

Edit: Also compare to dribbling, why is it so easy to pass your way through the goal. Where is the balance in that? I have yet to lose in my F.C Dallas save playing on Legendary with Matt's sliders and all I do is ping-pong pass my way into the box and every shots go in. If they really wanted to make the game hard and increase the skill gap, maybe make pass less assisted?

Last edited:
I did. Started working on it. But...
It requires ReShade. ReShade requires to run on DX11. FIFA is a DX12 game. I know you can set FIFA to run with DX11, but I've noticed a little graphics degradation, specially in lighting. Also, somehow FIFA 18 runs smoother for me with DX12 than when set to DX11. So unless they update ReShade to support DX12 games, the project will remain dead...

You know what, I strongly disagree.
FIFA 16 dribbling MECHANICS were better. Regardless of player's awareness, or whatever. I'm talking about one on one situations. Wrong footing a defender or body postures, animations, worked better for dribbling on FIFA 16.

We're talking about two different things then. 16's 1v1 dribbling was an exploit. An extremely easy one as well. Just a slight shift of the left analog and you were through. We wouldn't have changed the Sprint/Accel values so drastically if this weren't the case.

We're talking about two different things then. 16's 1v1 dribbling was an exploit. An extremely easy one as well. Just a slight shift of the left analog and you were through. We wouldn't have changed the Sprint/Accel values so drastically if this weren't the case.

That is due to how dumb the defensive AI was though(they don't jockey or close down the player properly). The actual dribbling controls were responsive and fluid. Also I think you are mistaken FIFA 15 dribbling system to the FIFA 16 one.

I was as elegant as a young fawn skipping across the meadow with 15 dribbling (any player as well) begrudgingly went to 16 because I knew deep down that it was just to easy to deke out any defender whenever I wanted to. I miss those days.

One of the strangest thing happened now. I installed FIFA 18 on my better gaming PC and the whole dribbling felt responsive and fun. I suppose processor have to do a lot with delay in dribbling input/responsive. Back on my other PC, the defender would respond faster than me. However, in this PC that's not the case. Really strange indeed.

Had 3 matches last night in my Arsenal save and they were brilliant. Once again I had that magic back. Won the first 2-0 against West Ham. Stalemate for most of it - they defended well and waited for counter attacks. With 10 minutes left I got the ball out wide and instantly sent a lofty through ball to Welbeck, who had beaten the offside trap. As the ball bounced a second time of the edge of the D I smashed it in across the face of the keeper. From kick off, I managed to nick the ball and get forward instantly, playing a ground pass into Welbeck's feet. He somehow dug it out by sweeping a shot off his instep as he fell and into the far corner. 2 in 2 minutes. Job done.

Next game was against Newcastle and it ended 0-0. They bossed the midfield and aerial battles and were dangerous in attack. I threw bodies forward late on but couldn't carve a good opportunity. Dull but really fun.

Last game was home to Chelsea. Huge game this and guaranteed scripting I thought. Opening stages were all me but Courtois was on form. Mid way through the first, William managed to wriggle his way through a crowd of bodies to score. Annoyed me because it felt like my buttons were not doing anything. Ok, I carried on and kept my shape around the pitch. No lunging in or chasing lost causes. I moved the ball around as quickly as I could but they contain really well and press the ball. I had a couple of decent chances but the outcomes were typical Arsenal. The great thing is it felt natural and contextual. Just after half time I found Theo arriving in the box and he rifled a low shot past the keeper. I kept the pressure on and with 4 left, Welbeck bagged the winner after a scrap in the penalty area.

The only problem is I've been awarded 4 penalties so far since I bought this and the keeper has dived into the far corners and saved every one. This is pissing me off.

The only problem is I've been awarded 4 penalties so far since I bought this and the keeper has dived into the far corners and saved every one. This is pissing me off.

When you aim for a certain corner, your player looks at that direction. If you change your direction from the way you were looking just before you shoot, you'll have more chance to score. Like in real life...

When you aim for a certain corner, your player looks at that direction. If you change your direction from the way you were looking just before you shoot, you'll have more chance to score. Like in real life...

So in other words you're meant to change your mind at the last minute, contrary to what every professional says?

I'm having a real love/hate relationship with this at the moment. On the plus side, I won another penalty and this time I converted it, against Spurs too!

However, I'm now doing a lot better at creating goal-scoring chances each match. The trouble is, every single effort is saved by the keeper. I mean EVERYTHING. Now, I'm not hoping for 8-6 score lines or anything, but it would be nice to know the odd chance on goal actually leads to a goal ffs. Even from 8 yards the keepers are pulling out wonder-saves from their arses. Getting really tiresome.

I'm having a real love/hate relationship with this at the moment. On the plus side, I won another penalty and this time I converted it, against Spurs too!

However, I'm now doing a lot better at creating goal-scoring chances each match. The trouble is, every single effort is saved by the keeper. I mean EVERYTHING. Now, I'm not hoping for 8-6 score lines or anything, but it would be nice to know the odd chance on goal actually leads to a goal ffs. Even from 8 yards the keepers are pulling out wonder-saves from their arses. Getting really tiresome.
Gk slider settings at?
Can't really relate since I'm on 17, you playing Leg difficulty?
Hope you sort it

Quick questions
On console,can you assign stadiums after you started a CM/Play career,or do you have o do all that b fore.
If so,stupid as hell.
And are the kit badges still the same when getting relegated/promoted?

No
Quick questions
On console,can you assign stadiums after you started a CM/Play career,or do you have o do all that b fore.
If so,stupid as hell.
And are the kit badges still the same when getting relegated/promoted?

You have to assign stadia before you start a career. And no, badges will remain the same after promotion/relegation.

I know I can use right analog stick and it is effective. However left stick is nerfed as hell for dribbling.
It really isn't, dribbling with the right player on FIFA this year is very doable! and very rewarding plus it looks so realistic.

Use the no touch dribble button to fake the defender one way, this will freeze the defender and just dribble or sprint either side of the defender.

Thank me later ;)

Back
Top Bottom