FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

is anyone else finding the cpu strength/physicality absolutely gamebreaking? i'm using goalgerd's sliders--terrific, truly--on world class, 8 min halves, all semi/full manual, but i get bundled off the ball nearly every time in possession. i'd say 90% of any sort of coming together results in me losing possession. totally maddening and something that's really taking the life out of the game for me, especially after finding a slider set that matches my preferred way of playing.
Nice to read! Can someone please provide goalgerds slider settings please? I’m still on Matt’s first set.
Need to test more.

@goalgerd tried your sliders and I must say you nailed the game for midfield battles and I had more fouls immediately so good work. for my taste I set sprint to 25, pass error to 70 and pass speed to 30 and the game is photorealistic :D one issue I have with the game, AI almost everytime shot in top corner of the goal, don't know if it is possible to change this with sliders? also would be better to post sliders here and not by the video, it's simplier to apply them or maybe new thread where users can post sliders. keep up the good work :)

They don't care about single player. Look at FIFA's single player - it's still laughably bad, with and without sliders. It doesn't represent football in any way, shape or form.

How anyone can play 12 months against a predictable AI, I'll never know but each to their own.

Sigh.
I'm a PES fanboy and you really are making some very strange statements in my opinion. If FIFA didn't represent football in any way, shape, or form then I wouldn't buy or play it. It's the biggest selling football game on the planet and you're claiming it does not replicate the sport at all? To suggest online spammers give you a better representation of the beautiful game is so upside down that I'm getting a head rush!

Sigh.
I'm a PES fanboy and you really are making some very strange statements in my opinion. If FIFA didn't represent football in any way, shape, or form then I wouldn't buy or play it. It's the biggest selling football game on the planet and you're claiming it does not replicate the sport at all? To suggest online spammers give you a better representation of the beautiful game is so upside down that I'm getting a head rush!
I am not saying that. I am simply saying that in 2017, I want to be testing myself against real human brains, not terrible FIFA AI.

2 quick videos for the person that asked, can't find the post to quote. 1 showing right stick and dribble how to win a free kick and one showing how to beat a man ..filmed on my phone ..laters I'm off to Brussels

2 quick videos for the person that asked, can't find the post to quote. 1 showing right stick and dribble how to win a free kick and one showing how to beat a man ..filmed on my phone ..laters I'm off to Brussels

The problem is left stick dribbling is pretty pointless. You have to use right stick and do skills or L1 to beat a defender 1 on 1. FIFA 16 still had it spot on. Left stick dribbling doesn't really take account of stats. Hazard loses the ball to a Skybet League 2 team if I where to just use left stick. I want you to play with only left stick and sprint with Real Madrid against Crewe Alexandra(worst team) in Legendary and try to use Ronaldo to beat players using left stick. They will either shrug Ronaldo off like he is some kind of average player or magnetically tackle. Which is why PES have a superior dribbling system this year.

I didn't use any tricks on the free kick one I just used l2 to change direction..hazard in real life will use all kind of movements to beat a player, my preference is a don't want the body movements to be automatic I prefer having input into it, the right stick for me is not just a trick stick..you can simply shift the ball to make space as footballers constantly do

@goalgerd tried your sliders and I must say you nailed the game for midfield battles and I had more fouls immediately so good work. for my taste I set sprint to 25, pass error to 70 and pass speed to 30 and the game is photorealistic :D one issue I have with the game, AI almost everytime shot in top corner of the goal, don't know if it is possible to change this with sliders? also would be better to post sliders here and not by the video, it's simplier to apply them or maybe new thread where users can post sliders. keep up the good work :)

ok will do, thanks for the feedback

Here is the best dribbler(Ronaldo) against the worst defender(Crewe Alexandra player) and this keeps happening. I normally dribble with left stick and I can't get past any player regardless of their stats:

ezgif-4-1f6d52dd7d.gif

Now I still win most matches and all of my goals are from passing. I have yet to dribble past a player 1 on 1.

I am not saying that. I am simply saying that in 2017, I want to be testing myself against real human brains, not terrible FIFA AI.

I think to have Garth Crooks picture, along with the hair colouring, kind of makes me laugh, because Mr Crooks come out with bizarre statements in real life too!!

Come on guru83, at least do what I do and watch some CPU vs CPU so that you can witness some very VERY good and organic gameplay, I know a lot of FIFA players don't ever bother with CPU vs CPU but for those who are unaware, please do not EVER judge the CPU AI against yourself, watch it play against itself, and then you can judge it without Mr Crooks (the real life version...) simply judging things on hearsay....

Use Fidel's cam mod from soccergaming.com, use the Broadcast Cam v1.2 mod, and use the highest and furthest custom settings (to get it to work you need to change to another Cam option first and then switch back and set your custom options). Set game to CPU vs CPU and sit back, Beer in hand, savoury nibbles at reach, and enjoy as you witness an organic game of football....

;-)

(any Man United fans don't need to bother with this, as they are used to football as controlled by Jose Maureen Oh (?), and therefore as fans of that football club they do not deserve to receive this advice)

Last edited:
Here is the best dribbler(Ronaldo) against the worst defender(Crewe Alexandra player) and this keeps happening. I normally dribble with left stick and I can't get past any player regardless of their stats:

ezgif-4-1f6d52dd7d.gif

Now I still win most matches and all of my goals are from passing. I have yet to dribble past a player 1 on 1.

FIFA 18 dribbling system is messed up IMHO.
Miss FIFA 16's.

Miss FIFA 16's.

Let me know if you figure out how to dribble with just left stick. I don't want to mash a bunch of buttons just to dribble past a bad defender being one of the greatest dribbler.

Here is the best dribbler(Ronaldo) against the worst defender(Crewe Alexandra player) and this keeps happening. I normally dribble with left stick and I can't get past any player regardless of
The defender was waiting for you. I would stop with LB/L1 and make the defender commit to a direction, then move, perhaps with a flick of the right stick into space. Alternatively use LT/L2 to shield the ball and hold defenders off, then burst away. If you drop the CPU acceleration slider a point it seems to slow their animation and reaction times as well. That can also help while learning controls.

The defender was waiting for you. I would stop with LB/L1 and make the defender commit to a direction, then move, perhaps with a flick of the right stick into space. Alternatively use LT/L2 to shield the ball and hold defenders off, then burst away. If you drop the CPU acceleration slider a point it seems to slow their animation and reaction times as well. That can also help while learning controls.

Thanks for the tips. I will try stopping. Also another thing I have noticed only in PC version is that when they have committed, they can quickly turn back and grab the ball.

Miss FIFA 16's.

This is where I agree with you about 18. The dribbling is just too hard, or the AI too perfect. I have tried skinning so many poor players with Alexis Sanchez and they always stick a foot out effortlessly and win the ball. If I change direction, they do it too at PRECISELY the same time, like the AI has read my thumb stick input. It's infuriating. I have yet to beat a player without a super combo button sequence, which is really stupid.

This year, it feels so strange. Usually it's FIFA that pulls off amazing dribbling system(gameplay wise) and PES with pretty good AI. Now the roles are reversed. AI in PES 2018 is linear and stale whereas FIFA 18 did a good job in AI. However PES 2018 dribbling is miles better than FIFA 18's(based on left stick dribbling).

ezgif-4-1f6d52dd7d.gif

Hi Topaz,

I think in the gif you posted you actually didn't dribble the defender. I mean he still have his balance. What did you expect? Like in real life you have to put the defender out of balance or at a sufficient distance from the ball to dribble. I am never using the right stick to dribble, I am using a combo of left stick and acc trigger, ah and also very important R1 and L2 (shielding) trigger to keep control of the ball. I am not saying this works 100% of the time but I find quite good to put a player out balance with small move with a skilled player like Coutinho. To me, player skill really matters when dribbling with the left stick, because agility, balance, acceleration and dribbling are really the things that matters when you want to change suddenly the pace or the direction of the ball while keeping the control of it. Of course, user skills matters too, so go training my friend :BYE:

ezgif-4-1f6d52dd7d.gif

This might help

@Topaz, I feel exactly the same about the dribbling.

BUT, I blame myself, and that's why I never really talk about it. I absolutely hate with a passion the dribbling/trick system in FIFA. I just don't have the mental agility (possibly not even the thumb dexterity) to...

A) Judge when I'm in the right place to start a dribble move, B) pick an appropriate dribble move (rather than just spamming the only one I know all the time), C) remember how to do it perfectly, e.g. press L2 and then wibble the stick from 70 degrees to 135 degrees clockwise and back again. I just can't do it.

But that's not the game's fault. I just wish there was an "auto dribble" system I could use offline, so that I could let the stats decide what happens.

It feels very "kiddy", to me. But I might just be making an excuse for myself. I much prefer PES's dribbling system (it's one of the few things I like about the game this year to be blunt). But until I sit down and try to learn how to do basic dribble moves, I'm just going to keep passing around the Ronaldos...

But left stick dribbling just isn't a thing in FIFA. Which is sad for you (and me), but, I do understand why it is the way it is.

@Topaz, I feel exactly the same about the dribbling.

BUT, I blame myself, and that's why I never really talk about it. I absolutely hate with a passion the dribbling/trick system in FIFA. I just don't have the mental agility (possibly not even the thumb dexterity) to...

A) Judge when I'm in the right place to start a dribble move, B) pick an appropriate dribble move (rather than just spamming the only one I know all the time), C) remember how to do it perfectly, e.g. press L2 and then wibble the stick from 70 degrees to 135 degrees. I just can't do it.

But that's not the game's fault. I just wish there was an "auto dribble" system I could use offline, so that I could let the stats decide what happens.

It feels very "kiddy", to me. But I might just be making an excuse for myself. I much prefer PES's dribbling system (it's one of the few things I like about the game this year to be blunt). But until I sit down and try to learn how to do basic dribble moves, I'm just going to keep passing around the Ronaldos...

But left stick dribbling just isn't a thing in FIFA. Which is sad for you and I, but, I get it.

Great post, and i fully agree. I have the same problem : i simply cannot do any tricks.
Only thing i can manage is the shot cancel, but it doesn't get you very far.

I keep pressing the (i believe) R2 button and my player will make some fake move and always ends up giving the ball to the cpu.

I wish there was an option to switch the tricks on and off. This way the online part could be a lot more fun. You could add it in the settings and therefore only play likeminded opponents without tricks.

I never play online btw, and all those skilled (young?) players doing 28 tricks with 1 player is the reason why. I hate those skills/tricks, and find them very unrealistic.

That video just shows how good the dribbling system is for me..dribbling should not be about just drifting past people using left stick

Yeah must admit I wasn't really aware of those techniques specifically, I tend to only try beating defenders with pace/angled runs and the odd faked shot, works a fair enough amount of the time, I'm currently doing a player career with my player on loan at Dundee so the quality of player in the Scottish Prem is pretty laughable, it's actually pretty realistic in that we can hold our own against most teams but then when we play Rangers/Celtic it's a real struggle, also we're struggling away from home (only got our first 3 points away at the 8th attempt!). Our goalkeeper scored a terrific own goal which epitomised the Scottish leagues, jumped up to catch a cross, on the way down bumped into one of his own defenders and fell into the net, was hilarious!

I remember in FIFA 2000 when you could just press R1 and circle to do a rainbow flick and R1 and square or whatever to do the roulette, you could basically just dance all over the pitch using those two moves. And double tap shot button on crosses and you'd hit an overhead kick into the corner. Things have moved on afterall, folks. :D

Back
Top Bottom