FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

Guys, if you're having a hard time with the AI, try to use a second controller/keyboard and change the default tactics in the match to the custom tactics. After that, switch the controller back to the CPU, and the changes will stick. I do this right before kick off and have been having absolutely tremendous matches.

Remember before you get frustrated, FIFA's DNA is built on Dribble-Dribble-Dribble-Pass in that order. This year the CTT's actually work, so take advantage of it :) .

Is there any faster way of doing what you said? Like can I download like a squad file that will update tactics of all the teams?

Is there any faster way of doing what you said? Like can I download like a squad file that will update tactics of all the teams?

I know Krebstar has a project that guides individuals to modify the formations and CTT's of teams, currently only Premier League.

I would say the 2nd controller change right before the kick-off is the fastest. I do not change any of the CTT values itself, i just go in and select the "Custom Tactic" for the CPU/2nd player, then just move the controller/keyboard back to the CPU, and I'm done. Takes less than 2 minutes.

I know Krebstar has a project that guides individuals to modify the formations and CTT's of teams, currently only Premier League.

I would say the 2nd controller change right before the kick-off is the fastest. I do not change any of the CTT values itself, i just go in and select the "Custom Tactic" for the CPU/2nd player, then just move the controller/keyboard back to the CPU, and I'm done. Takes less than 2 minutes.

I cannot move the controller to the other side.

I know u didnt make these tactics Matt but the point is having Shooting/passing on 50 or higher for the small teams to have more long balls, crosses? I could tell that by Leicester's tactic.

On the opposite for the big team i see these values are around 5 or 10 which results in ball possession which isnt necessarily a bad case but some teams just dont prefer to cross or to cut in. But always doign that passing around the 16 yrd box holding their back to the goal until someone can turn in who is the closest to the goal. Eg the default FIFA tactic.

But i have to admit i tried these tactics just to watch the cpu play and also play with these and i must say it (with the decent shooting variation) it offers a much more complete package than PES so far. Also Bayern beat me 3-0 when i was with City...for instance they crossed the ball a few times and Lewa even took a shot outside the box.

by the way guys the tactics are here
http://projec10.org/

After reading this (and after not playing PES for a few days due to burnout from all the editing), I thought I'd give it another go.

There's so much great stuff in there - every touch feels a little different. But.

I 100% can't play the game. I regret buying a digital copy because I truly, truly hate it.

The AI whirl around the ball like ballerinas when you put a defender on them. It looks MENTAL, it's a million miles away from realistic, it breaks up any potential flow because the game stops and starts while they dance around in circles and take two steps one way, then two steps the other way and stop again - and the fact that 9 times out of 10 it's impossible to regain possession when they start doing it, makes me ANGRIER THAN ANY FOOTBALL GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFFFFFFFF. (I'm this angry just remembering it.)

Also - and I've said this about the previous games too - how come they play completely differently on World Class to Legendary? On World Class every team plays tiki-taka, on Legendary they don't. Legendary is slower, and a better experience. But even then, every game ends with the exact same pass accuracy stats (85%-95%) and possession stats (over 50%), no matter who I play against.

Almost everything else about the gameplay, I love. The physics, the way attributes are more strictly adhered to (i.e. if you try and do something that a player isn't capable of, he'll do it very badly). But my God. The AI is a sack of shit, but worse, it's been like this for two console generations (except without the ridiculous shielding up to now).

Hey Chris, I feel your pain. But I'd like to share my own experience, just in case maybe it encourages you to play a little more.

When PES and FIFA first released this year, I despised FIFA and felt in heaven with PES. I kept trying to enjoy FIFA because it offers a complete package in the way PES falls remarkably short. But I felt like this was the worst FIFA in a decade for me.

Eventually though many of the traditional PES issues grated more and more, and I tired of PES. Again FIFA was a frustrating experience at first, but I found that after sticking with FIFA for several weeks (with no PES), FIFA 17 started clicking for me and I'm now in love with this game (it helps that I recently upgraded my to a HDR 4k TV and bought a PS4 Pro - this game is insanely gorgeous).

As usual, this game isn't without its faults and shortcomings, but while I might have shared your same frustrations you mentioned, this game now plays beautifully for me (especially if you implement Krebstar's custom tactics). In the beginning with FIFA 17, I was just like you - the game just made me angry. Now, I'm having a blast.

I'm new to fifa and just started the manager part. Is it possible to search by player attributes for transfer or see their stats without scouting?

You won't find anything better than just using this: sofifa.com

Personally, I've always hated the "new" scouting system, and I just use sofifa for all my scouting needs. Especially cause you can search for some interesting things, like which players have real faces in game.

Hey Chris, I feel your pain. But I'd like to share my own experience, just in case maybe it encourages you to play a little more. *Snip*
Genuinely, the most frustrating thing for me is wanting about 80% of what the game provides, and not being able to enjoy it because of the 20% (or even less).

Over the weekend, I carried on my Middlesbrough save and came up against Notts County in the cup. This, I thought, was the game's real chance to show me it had changed. In previous FIFAs, I'd play a full-strength side and still lose.

On Legendary, I played that tie three times in a row, tweaking sliders along the way. I drew 1-1 (lost on penalties), lost 2-1 and lost 2-1 again. I could have smashed the controller - and I don't say that lightly, I haven't felt so angry at a football game for a while. Once I scored, I 100% knew what was about to happen - to the point where, last year, I would PUT OFF scoring.

I knocked it down to World Class, and drew 1-1 twice, losing the first time on penalties, and turning the game off before I got to that point in the last game.

It's 100% not for me, despite all the (absolutely) brilliant stuff in the game. I miss it all when playing PES, to the point where I wish I'd never played it, so I wouldn't have experienced the shot variety, physics, etc...

There's no denying that every team plays with the same patterns and capabilities no matter their players. With that being the case, I can't play it.

Last edited:
I have been playing it and started a career with Newcastle. I am enjoying it, but a few thing are getting on my nerves

I need to play around with the settings and sliders, but so far I am not keen on the crossing, which seems to go higher and then dip all of the time. I saw a video where someone showed the sweet spot for crossing, which is just as you enter the box and now I feel like its a cheap goal when I score from here

I played a game last night where opposition kept running at my defenders and a few times went around 4 players and scored. This felt bizarre. Maybe I need to learn how to tackle better

I am also often ending up with a forward standing in massive hole at the back and then going clean through.

I think I need to up the difficulty, but at the same point to make the game feel more rewarding, but I don't want the opposition to dribble around me all the time

Other than that, I am loving the graphics and being able to set the time and conditions of each match

Over the weekend, I carried on my Middlesbrough save and came up against Notts County in the cup. This, I thought, was the game's real chance to show me it had changed. In previous FIFAs, I'd play a full-strength side and still lose.

On Legendary, I played that tie three times in a row, tweaking sliders along the way. I drew 1-1 (lost on penalties), lost 2-1 and lost 2-1 again. I could have smashed the controller - and I don't say that lightly, I haven't felt so angry at a football game for a while. Once I scored, I 100% knew what was about to happen - to the point where, last year, I would PUT OFF scoring.

I knocked it down to World Class, and drew 1-1 twice, losing the first time on penalties, and turning the game off before I got to that point in the last game.

What sliders were you using? World Class and above with default sliders is garbage and has been for some time, obviously one shouldn't excuse the faults but the solution is to use very high passing and first touch error it will help balance out the stupidly overpowered underdog AI logic, for World Class/Legendary & team one or two leagues below you probably need passing error and first touch error at least 80+ if not 90+

Hello, my name is Federico. I'm a PESholic.

I bought FIFA as soon as it came out, thinking it was going to be the best football game every made. The demo sure seemed promising. But I find the game too monotonous. There's no change of pace. No adrenaline. No drama. No verticality. It's too linear.
And the graphics are putting me off as well. I'm not among the lucky people who have a 4K TV and a PS PRO, but I do have a very good PC, and the pale color palette drives me nuts.
Pitches are almost black and white for me.

Football is about life, colors, drama, happiness, emotion. FIFA fails to deliver all that. It has perfect animations, lots of stadiums, amazing scoreboards and some excellent faces but they need to step up their game again.

What sliders were you using? World Class and above with default sliders is garbage and has been for some time, obviously one shouldn't excuse the faults but the solution is to use very high passing and first touch error it will help balance out the stupidly overpowered underdog AI logic, for World Class/Legendary & team one or two leagues below you probably need passing error and first touch error at least 80+ if not 90+
I use Matt's last slider set with a few tweaks of my own to slow it down a touch. To have to set pass error to 80+ is ridiculous - does it still destroy AI crossing if you do that (I noticed crosses going wildly astray using 60 pass error)?

So disappointed with it this year, I wish they'd give the AI and career mode a real examination.

To have to set pass error to 80+ is ridiculous

Absolutely, but whilst the PC version is unmoddable it's the only option, unless you're happy throwing controllers around the room ;)

does it still destroy AI crossing if you do that

Not as bad as previous Fifas but yes it affects crossing, but if nothing else just use those sliders for underdog teams to balance out the stupid "programming".

If the pitches are "almost black and white" you're doing something wrong because that's not what I see...

To say that I was exaggerating it's an understatement, I suppose?.
What I meant is that the pitches look very lifeless.

Absolutely, but whilst the PC version is unmoddable it's the only option, unless you're happy throwing controllers around the room ;)

Not to pick on you, fella... but that's not entirely true.
Don't mean to turn this into a PES v.s FIFA battle, but PES with the right set of mods and patches is more than a good option. It is actually the best football game I've ever played. And I'm 29, so yeah... I played them all.

Don't mean to turn this into a PES v.s FIFA battle, but PES with the right set of mods and patches is more than a good option.
I read his comment as "if you don't adjust the pass error you'll be throwing your controller" as opposed to anything else! Could be wrong though...

And I'm 29, so yeah... I played them all.

If you're 29 there's no way you played them all considering I played my first Football game in 1983 ;)

InternationalSoccer_Animation.gif

I read his comment as "if you don't adjust the pass error you'll be throwing your controller" as opposed to anything else! Could be wrong though...

Yes, this is a Fifa thread so I kept my answer related to Fifa, not least because it was in reply to a Fifa related comment :) The sure-fire way to cure anyone of a Fifa addiction is Fifa + World Class + default sliders + underdog in the cup, it's abhorrent, fortunately we can tweak some stuff, it's not perfect and in a way it's not acceptable we have to "break" parts of the game to make it enjoyable but for me that's the only option.

IMO opinion this year with FIFA the game is pretty much the same as always.

Yes it plays different but the AI still has cheats it uses that drive me insane.
On world class it is still to easy to dominate the ball and comfortably have a high level of possession - I just played West Ham in the FA Cup 3rd round with Exeter and ended the game with 64% possession.

The gripe is when the game came out the computer used the super shielding which is still on the game and then would waltz through your defence and nearly score everytime, but didn't threat apart from this.
However since the last patch or two I noticed the computer now pings the ball about more and then puts in an absolute perfect cross which they score from 90% of the time and this has now destroyed any enjoyment in the game for me.

I have not played FIFA now for a couple of weeks, but am starting to think I should now massively play around with the sliders to get the game anyway near enjoyable.

I again tried legendary but find this is easier than WC and professional is just a joke the game is way too easy on this skill level, even with trying sliders I can win every game 5/6 nil.

If you're 29 there's no way you played them all considering I played my first Football game in 1983 ;)

InternationalSoccer_Animation.gif

Yes, this is a Fifa thread so I kept my answer related to Fifa, not least because it was in reply to a Fifa related comment :) The sure-fire way to cure anyone of a Fifa addiction is Fifa + World Class + default sliders + underdog in the cup, it's abhorrent, fortunately we can tweak some stuff, it's not perfect and in a way it's not acceptable we have to "break" parts of the game to make it enjoyable but for me that's the only option.
Kick off 1989 :) My first. Atari ST

Don't mean to turn this into a PES v.s FIFA battle, but PES with the right set of mods and patches is more than a good option. It is actually the best football game I've ever played...

You just did.

Don't mean to turn this into a PES v.s FIFA battle, but PES with the right set of mods and patches is more than a good option. It is actually the best football game I've ever played...

You just did.

HOW? lol.
Don't overreact man. We're just debating. That's what a Forum is about.

I just downloaded the FIFA 17 demo, and have only played 4 games, but I massively like it. I can see it maybe becoming a bit too easy in the long run, but it plays superbly so far, I think. Feels like a much more fluid football experience than PES (which I have played maybe 70+ hours of this year). Knowing myself though, I always get impressed by the FIFA demo, I buy the game, and say 20 matches in, feel like I've exposed it and it gets dull.

What are the major downsides to FIFA this year? I read this review and sort of scratched my head;

Overall, FIFA is a slow and considered affair, reliant on steady build-up play and accurate passing to break down defences. At times it may feel like it lacks the thrills and spills, but the complex command inputs work to give complete control to the player. However, this can also serve to the game’s detriment, especially when compared to PES 2017, which beautifully offers simplicity in control while also delivering a fast and thrilling game of football.

I quite like having to build up play. :p

What are the major downsides to FIFA this year?
Are you planning to play online or against the AI?

Seems okay online, but against the AI, and in my opinion, it's dreadful. As Middlesbrough, you'll dominate anyone (including Barcelona) on Professional, but on World Class or Legendary, the AI will spin around like ballet-dancers to keep the ball (the shielding is ridiculously overpowered), and you're powerless to do anything other than bring them down.

You see a little variety in pass length, now and then, but for the majority of the time all teams will play the same style of football - and if you get a lower-league team in the cup, prepare to have no chance to win (see my previous posts).

The physics etc. are excellent, as is the shot variety - but I find myself using the same tactics every single game to win, and it's not fun, or realistic, so what is it? (Again, just my opinion, lots disagree.)

I much prefer last year's game. This year has been 100% focused on the switch to Frostbite graphics, not the gameplay (oh yeah, career mode is unchanged, other than some pie charts).

(I say all of this after playing with sliders etc. for the last few months and repeatedly returning to the game - for 10 minutes at a time - because I love the graphics, frankly. If I hadn't bought it digitally I'd have sold it by now!)

Back
Top Bottom