FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

Great quote from NeoGAF regarding the story mode:

The key cutscene is gonna be when you and your mates are with Thai prostitutes. Go in the room with the racists? Let yourself be caught on camera?

You didn't call the man a Jap.
Vardy will remember that.

cant say much but after that vid players look bigger or the pitch smaller. wich is good FIFA always had midget ragdolls running around

about The Journey if they have such money....why not make it like dunno Ibra's Journey from young to old. id play that or any player who retired last year, will this year or whatever. that would be intresting then use different player every year

Last edited:
No reason to whine guys. Seems that they haven't ruined the more sim approach. Graphics will be slighlty better, we get mangers, more physical battles, even in air and against keepers, fully licensed la liga, rewamped set pieces, better models, etc.

No words on strategies / tacticts yet..

I would appreciate that they would add more of it, but we do not know yet

About Story fantasy mode, do not play it, if you do not like it, I won't :)

I'm wondering when they are going to change nets though.
I would also like the coin tossing :)

After playing fifa16 still, I will get fifa 17 first and check pes demo if it's any good.

Last edited:
Someone I know who was at the event last night said that all that the new engine has done is add to the game visually (he said it looks gorgeous) but gameplay wise it the same base as FIFA 16 with just a few little changes which have made the game slower. I know that we hate talking about builds on here but he was told by the EA reps that this build did not include a lot of the gameplay changes as they were still being tested internally and not ready for public viewing.

Loads of previews if you search Twitter for #fifa17 preview and #fifa17 hands on.

The majority of them seem to say the gameplay isn't hugely different, but I've seen "slower" mentioned a few times. Just a shame that there's no mention of tactical differences, so I'm really disappointed.

Here's one from a manual player:

http://www.gamewatcher.com/previews/fifa-17-preview/12586

I asked my friend about tactical difference Chris:

"from the time that I played I did not notice any difference with what was available on the tactical side of the game, looks the same as FIFA 16. There is a community event at the start of July I will make sure that I specifically delve into tactical screens etc to see if there is any differences. I did not play against the AI so cannot comment if teams had different playing styles".

Exactly like i said watching the trailer in EA conference.
Frostbite is superficial only, the physical and animations core engine remains the same.

But it's better than nothing, light effects and details looks really great, it will be less flashy and good to see all moving in game with the standard camera

now that looks good! stadium crowd looks real from distance
wonder what frame rates will be like on ps4.
i have Rory PGA tour, it looks great but blurry depth of field.
i wonder if this will have that blurry look too.
ME3050713323_2.jpg

Whoah, look at that steel cage what suppose to be a goalnet. Seriously, how can every other detail be so incredible but the nets can't? Don't get me wrong, gameplay above everything, but a nice realistic goalnet just add so much more to the overal realism and the feeling of scoring a goal. I hope they will fix it.

Last edited:
Why do I feel like too much focus has been put on the Story mode and not enough on actual gameplay improvements?

Last edited:
there has been info on physicality, info on set piece changes etc so for me some good info and more detail will follow once we get play testers opinion.

From a company point of view of course they are going to focus on a big sell point, any company would for any product.

In a film trailer what do you see? all the exciting features to draw you in, i surprised that people are surprised.

Anyway i think it looks very engaging, I really enjoy fifa 16 still so some nice tweaks like deciding shot type, more battles etc are a welcome improvement.

Looks like the main feature is story mode and graphic enhancements this year and not much change in gameplay.

I'd rather save my money and not buy the game or wait until it's way cheaper. as long as moddingway keeps modding FIFA 16 I'm fine with that.

there has been info on physicality, info on set piece changes etc so for me some good info and more detail will follow once we get play testers opinion.

From a company point of view of course they are going to focus on a big sell point, any company would for any product.

In a film trailer what do you see? all the exciting features to draw you in, i surprised that people are surprised.

Anyway i think it looks very engaging, I really enjoy fifa 16 still so some nice tweaks like deciding shot type, more battles etc are a welcome improvement.

Yep, same here.

Animationwise it looks like 16.
I also hoped to see some improvement in that regard, but on the other hand...they aren´t that bad in 16.

When hearing/reading about a new engine, automatically some people (me included for a moment) think of a complete whole new game, which just isn´t the case though.

But well, I enjoyed 16 (still do) a lot and more visuals and different shot types are more than welcome.

Frostbite integration means that they have the "base" in place for the next 5-10 years (at the very least), and that was important (graphically) with the NEO and (maybe) the Scorpio around the corner.

But that base will now be worked on for those 5-10 years, and I worry that it won't show its true potential for a while.

Also - just had a realisation...

I bet the reason that Be A Pro is being replaced with "Story Mode" (which hasn't been confirmed but I'd bet your life is the case) is because...

A) You can't import your "photo game face" into the Frostbite engine because the facial rendering is so much more detailed, and you'd look like a PS2 game inserted into a PS4 game.

B) Rory McIlroy's PGA Tour game (which is Frostbite, remember) got slated in reviews for the utterly terrible "player creator", where your choice is (IIRC) four melted-plasticine faces for a selection of races. You can make no alterations - you can't change their hair or add facial hair, let ALONE anything else.

I reckon the FIFA team have decided that, based on that feedback, everyone is locked to just one realistic-looking player.

You've got me worried now. I really like creating a player and starting a career with him. I created Cruyff on Fifa 15, and van Basten in Fifa 16.
I always control the entire team, but it's nice starting at lower teams and work your way up to become a great player in a great team.

You get to play champions league (or whatever they call it) and European / world cups if you get selected for your country.

I really like this mode so hope that it stays in the game.
Would be very disappointed if they cancelled it in favor of a story mode i have zero interest for.

Sitting firmly on the fence for these announcements. I guess it's good that EA are doing something 'different', but this definitely feels like a feature not for older gamers who play for the gameplay like me. I get I'm not the target audience (never touched FUT) but it's still dissappointing.

The lack of announcements about tactics and variety mean we're probably not getting anything. If they had revised the single player experience, the marketing gurus would have come up with a catch phrase.

I guess I hope that critics tear into it and get EA to reprioritise gameplay for 18. Could be a good year to give PES a chance? Oh wait I only have a PC. Silly me.

on the pitch looks like same old shit
1. FIFA every year = same old shit that works
2. PES every year = new and different shit that's always broken and never works

Personally, I say spending your money on option #1 makes the most sense.

Has anybody noticed the difference between the tone of those who tried PES and those who tried FIFA last night?

All the PES previews were full of amazement (some of them clearly OTT but still, with a genuine excitement for the game's release).

The FIFA previews I've seen have all been along the lines of "I was expecting more", including the previous one I mentioned by a manual player (so again, an opinion I trust), and Kamy's friend who reckons that tactics still make no difference.

I'm one of the few on here who strongly dislikes PES 16, not just for the broken goalkeepers but for the insta-passing, same-shots-every-time, same-goals-every-time gameplay that seems horribly simplistic, to me.

I'm also still a little bit in love with FIFA 16, because, though it lacks tactical importance (and the AI relies on the same goalscoring patterns repeatedly, especially on Legendary), it has (in my opinion) player individuality, unpredictability, and real fist-pumping moments.

But if 17 is all of that again, without tactical importance, or manager movement (in the career mode), or better AI (which we don't know yet, admittedly), then... 17 is just shinier graphics, to me.

They've given FIFA the Hollywood treatment. I get why - there's kids who'll lap that story mode up. But the gameplay... Last year, EA were talking about the improved defending and about things that really resonated with the guys like me who just want the gameplay to get better, and more realistic. This announcement isn't the same.

Even on the podcast (Kamy posted a link to it earlier in the thread), Aaron McHardy said "gameplay is what matters", and then goes on to talk about fluff. Players making better runs is great, but not having to adjust your formation or your strategy to beat an equal opponent (AI or otherwise) - not even being able to see your AI opponent's usual formation - is shit, and it's always been the same in FIFA.

It's almost like an admission, to me, that if you want depth in that area (even though FIFA has it in other areas, including individuality), you aren't going to get it.

Last edited:
I'm one of the few on here who strongly dislikes PES 16, not just for the broken goalkeepers but for the insta-passing, same-shots-every-time, same-goals-every-time gameplay that seems horribly simplistic, to me.
Everything you pointed out is correct, yes. That said, PES only seems horribly simplistic because every aspect of the game is either broken or only half-works. Set tactics to long ball for example and CPU teams will kick every ball long. Horribly one-dimensional game programming. Or try this: set CPU player pass ratings to 99 and the CPU will complete 89% of its passes. Then set CPU pass ratings to 40 (lowest they will go) and the CPU will still complete 89% of its passes. Every player, every team, every single game, makes no difference whatsoever. Many player ratings simply have no effect at all, they're broken period.

But the thing is Konami is trying to make a complex game, it's just that nothing in the game ever works properly. Whereas EA has set out to keep FIFA coded and playing as simplistically as possible, that's why there are never any changes to the game's player ratings or tactics setup. Every year FIFA is exactly the same in those areas because EA has no interest in changing the core game play. Konami on the other hand tries to add new levels of complexity - they add ratings, remove ratings, add tactic options, remove tactics options - it's just they can never get any of it to work.

Last edited:
I play both games and enjoy them for what they are. But let's get real here. A game that's the exact same each year and that's consistently decent >> a game that's new and different and 90% broken every single year.

Surely not another year where you can't assign markers, and where your defensive midfielder mocks your instruction to "stay back"? And no meaningful tactics.

I guess UT is where EA earns its money and the players there seem to mostly want their virtual footballers to be made of elastic, firing 360-degree passes in a nano-second.

Oh for a footie game that wants to mimic our heroes as much as possible.

I play both games and enjoy them for what they are. But let's get real here. A game that's the exact same each year and that's consistently decent >> a game that's new and different and 90% broken every single year.

I don't know. I couldn't really enjoy any football game since pes6 till Fifa16. I even played 1-2 games of fifa demo and didn't like it. Than after beeing disappointed with PES 2016 with the shortest honyemoon period ever I tried it again and it clicked. I played it for months and still enjoying. I cannot judge FIFAs before..

And playing an authentic league with with all bells and whistles and continuous updates with decent very good gameplay on full manual professional was what I needed

I really recommend it to the haters to give it another go, I was one of the fifa haters, but konami had such an amatuerish approach in the last 8 years brought me to the darkside :)

Last edited:
They mentioned that they reduced first touch errors.. To me they were just fine..

LOL they reduced something that takes 2 seconds to change the slider for? Seriously! Default there were nowhere near enough first touch errors IMO, think I used to raise it to about 80 or something on the slider.

Back
Top Bottom