FIFA 16 - SLIDER THREAD

CPU passing error I had on 65, midway through the first half playing Cardiff I pause and check their pass completion, 89%! on a whim I drop their passing error down to 40 and suddenly they're playing much longer passes (many aren't working out) and within 5 minutes their pass completion had dropped to 84%

I noticed that as well, I'd changed a few teams tactics to long ball (which works well by the way, they don't hoof it like you'd think but play a bit more direct and look to get the ball forward quicker) and set pass error to 65, was still getting around 90% pass accuracy, was going to try lowering it but not had much time to play the past couple of days

CPU passing error I had on 65, midway through the first half playing Cardiff I pause and check their pass completion, 89%! on a whim I drop their passing error down to 40 and suddenly they're playing much longer passes (many aren't working out) and within 5 minutes their pass completion had dropped to 84%

How odd indeed. You have the update right? or are you console. i can never remember.

I tested pass error at 0-30 and the tiki-taka was annoying me, this was prepatch though.

Here's mine for those interested...

For teams who are 1 star (or more) worse than my team, I set the difficulty to PRO (though you could substitute this with WORLD CLASS) and use semi controls (with manual through balls). For every other team, I set the difficulty to LEGENDARY, with assisted controls (except for through balls - manual, and crossing - semi).

I use slow speed on PRO, and normal speed on (WORLD CLASS and) LEGENDARY. All are set to eight minute half lengths.

Slider / Player / CPU

Sprint 50/48 (prevents certain AI passes being successful)
Acceleration 50/49 (prevents certain AI passes being successful)
Shot Error 50/54
Pass Error 50/59 (any higher and crosses break)
Shot Speed 50/49
Pass Speed 50/36 (causes more AI mistakes than pass error does)
Injury Freq 62/62
Injury Severity 42/42
GK Ability 28/28 (any lower and easy shots get pushed away)
Marking 50/45 (stops an AI interception cheat where the defender moves *through* your striker to regain possession)
Run Frequency 34/50 (keeps AI moving the ball forward, helps prevent overly possessive play)
Line Height 58/58
Line Length 50/60 (causes larger pass distances and introduces error)
Line Width 50/60 (prevents CPU packing the middle whilst allowing team tactics to work as expected)
Fullbacks 55/55
Powerbar 52 (to keep relative parity with online play)
First Touch 50/65 (prevents AI cheating)

If PRO seems too easy, reset the CPU's sprint/acceleration/first touch, reduce shooting, passing error and first touch to 40, and increase the marking to 60.

These, plus the Co-op camera, are the best experience I've had on FIFA yet.

Sliders are starting to come together nicely post-update:

EA Patch Update Set; Current Set, as of 10/4/15
World Class/Legendary, Slow, 10-15 minutes

Sprint 50/50
Acceleration 50/49 -- CPU is just a step ahead on default.
Shot Error 53/53
Pass Error 65/65 -- CPU less tiki taka, and has to take some chances.
Shot Speed 53/53 -- really like the speed now, versus just dipping shots.
Pass Speed 45/40 -- CPU drilled passes are no longer OP.
Injury Freq 60/60
Injury Severity 40/40
GK Ability 20/20 -- balance between deflected saves and catches, remember shot speed.
Marking 50/50 -- very sensitive, this feels like the aggression slider more than anything.
Run Freq. 20/20 -- CPU less "clicky" and build up properly now, also length takes care of attack.
Height 52/52 -- Important to get the CB's meeting the attackers at the top of the box.
Length 62/62 -- Essential to get the CB's to step up, and prevent top of the box siege.
Width 62/62 -- Balance out with the increased length.
Fullbacks 52/52 -- Provides enough overlap without going too crazy high in attack.
First Touch 40/50 -- Discrepancy to avoid too much "Loose Ball ADD"
Power Bar 50 - user preference

Sliders are starting to come together nicely post-update:

EA Patch Update Set; Current Set, as of 10/4/15
World Class/Legendary, Slow, 10-15 minutes

Sprint 50/50
Acceleration 50/49 -- CPU is just a step ahead on default.
Shot Error 53/53
Pass Error 65/65 -- CPU less tiki taka, and has to take some chances.
Shot Speed 53/53 -- really like the speed now, versus just dipping shots.
Pass Speed 45/40 -- CPU drilled passes are no longer OP.
Injury Freq 60/60
Injury Severity 40/40
GK Ability 20/20 -- balance between deflected saves and catches, remember shot speed.
Marking 50/50 -- very sensitive, this feels like the aggression slider more than anything.
Run Freq. 20/20 -- CPU less "clicky" and build up properly now, also length takes care of attack.
Height 52/52 -- Important to get the CB's meeting the attackers at the top of the box.
Length 62/62 -- Essential to get the CB's to step up, and prevent top of the box siege.
Width 62/62 -- Balance out with the increased length.
Fullbacks 52/52 -- Provides enough overlap without going too crazy high in attack.
First Touch 40/50 -- Discrepancy to avoid too much "Loose Ball ADD"
Power Bar 50 - user preference

Some interesting sliders and I look forward to giving them a go when consoles get the patch, but I'd really like to hear more of an explanation for some of your interpretations.

Like, what in the world do you mean by the CPU is less "clicky" with lowered run frequency? (With the slower buildup this year, I'm surprised by this low of a run freq?)

I think I know what you're referring to but what do you mean by "top of the box siege."

What's with lowering first touch error and "loose ball add?"

Some interesting sliders and I look forward to giving them a go when consoles get the patch, but I'd really like to hear more of an explanation for some of your interpretations.

Like, what in the world do you mean by the CPU is less "clicky" with lowered run frequency? (With the slower buildup this year, I'm surprised by this low of a run freq?)

I think I know what you're referring to but what do you mean by "top of the box siege."

What's with lowering first touch error and "loose ball add?"

Sorry, mfm - meant to answer sooner.

Less clicky basically means like the CPU is clicking on all cylinders. Like they have the perfect chemistry. Whether it be Arsenal or Cambridge united, you know? That's the aim with these to kind of remove that and build more of a human approach to things.

Lowering FT has seemingly helped the loose ball avoidance by the teammate AI (where they keep running regardless of where the ball is, usually on 50/50 balls) and allows the user to control the teammate easier to get to that ball. THis may be a placebo - but it worked prepatch, so the assumption it's working post patch. Us PC guys have had the set up longer than consoles, and when I changed the FT, the avoidance seemed to have lessened.

I'm also about to stream in about 5 mins:

twitch.tv/matt10l

How do you get rid of the "jog" error? When your player seems to just jog instead of sprint. I know sometimes you have to let go of sprint and then press again but wasn't there something in Fifa15 if you put up the speed it stopped the jog?

How do you get rid of the "jog" error? When your player seems to just jog instead of sprint. I know sometimes you have to let go of sprint and then press again but wasn't there something in Fifa15 if you put up the speed it stopped the jog?

Yeah, just higher Sprint value. Like 51 or 52. Jogging animation is annoying for the CPU as well.

Has anyone found a solution for reducing the CPU passing accuracy? I have set their passing speed to 15 and passing error to 65, still over 90% pass accuracy.

If it makes you feel any better, supposedly the passing stats are bugged. Posters on Reddit ran some kind of tests of sorts and found that end game passing acc stats were inflated by about ~10%.

If it makes you feel any better, supposedly the passing stats are bugged. Posters on Reddit ran some kind of tests of sorts and found that end game passing acc stats were inflated by about ~10%.

Thought so, I've tried setting pass error quite high and changing the ai to long ball tactics and they've still been getting mid-high 80's even though there's been loads of turnovers in games so started ignoring the stats and just going on the feel of the game.

It's a shame we can't seem team passes rather than completion percentage, I know you can view by player but it'd be interesting to see a total team passes.

For teams who are 1 star (or more) worse than my team, I set the difficulty to PRO (though you could substitute this with WORLD CLASS) and use semi controls (with manual through balls). For every other team, I set the difficulty to LEGENDARY, with assisted controls (except for through balls - manual, and crossing - semi).

I use slow speed on PRO, and normal speed on (WORLD CLASS and) LEGENDARY. All are set to eight minute half lengths.

Slider / Player / CPU

Shot Error 50/54
Shot Speed 50/49
Injury Freq 62/62
Injury Severity 42/42
Marking 50/45 (stops an AI interception cheat where the defender moves *through* your striker to regain possession)
Run Frequency 34/50 (keeps AI moving the ball forward, helps prevent overly possessive play)
Line Height 58/58
Line Width 50/60 (prevents CPU packing the middle whilst allowing team tactics to work as expected)
Fullbacks 55/55

If PRO seems too easy, reset the CPU's sprint/acceleration/first touch, reduce shooting, passing error and first touch to 40, and increase the marking to 60.

Just had one of my favourite games using these sliders. Defence actually able to be opened up, mistakes in passing and controlling the ball from the AI. Brilliant.

Glad they helped. :)

I was playing around with the acceleration figure last night, and found that it really does have an impact on the CPU receiving passes in some situations - when paired with a low pass speed, players just can't reach certain passes.

That being said, the effect it has on their ability to regain possession makes it a bit too easy. There's a balance to be found, though.

I'm currently experimenting with keeping sliders as close to 50 as possible, so that team styles are more varied, but changed enough so that pass success rate is more realistic. It's a challenge, though - especially on Legendary, where the AI will make up for certain nerfs by playing a different way (e.g. high pass error, lots of short passes).

matt10 slider: 13/10/15

Sprint 51/50 - previous 53/50 - no need to have the discrepancy too high now.
Acceleration 49/49 (previous 48/48) - reluctantly adjusted for stamina adjustments. I think the feel of 48 is spot on though.
Shot Error 53/53
Pass Error 50/50 (previous 65/65) - Tricky again. The quality and drilled passes aren't OP, they still occur - but it's realistic because of the pass speed. Problem is the CPU makes perfect passes. On the other hand, the CPU GK doesn't go stupid with the ball at their feet, and they will clear it on occasion.
Shot Speed 51/51 (previous 52/52) - with the GK setting, there has to be a bit more less hard shots. The CPU is still able to save shots like crazy this year.
Pass Speed 45/15 - 15 is essential to getting the right pass quality and error. It just can't go above this number or the CPU will be drilling passes that you can't catch up with (or deflect/intercept) all match long.
Injury Freq 65/65
Injury Severity 40/40
GK Ability 1/1 (prev 20/20) - This is down to user preference, but 1/1 has shown some great save animations and legitimate goals scored. CPU is crazy in this game, they save so much - haven't seen any outrageous catches yet either.
Marking 60/60 (previous 49/50) - allowing the Sprint and Acc values to do their work, marking is actually possible on higher values.
Run Freq. 60/60 (previous 40/40) - still learning here to be honest. Trying to get the midfielders stay in the attack versus run away the minute there is a loose ball. Also helps with pass variety, etc, from CPU.
Height 50/50 (previous 60/60) -went back to 50 height because the coverage throughout the pitch with marking is just fine - and the Sprint/Acc settings allow control using the CB just as much as the defensive midfielders, etc. Also want to have the CPU not be limited on what kind of passing they can perform.
Length 50/50 - will be looking at length today.
Width 65/65 (previous 50/50) - The goal here is to isolate the players from the marking force fields that create ADD. I think it's also important to have the width higher because now the user cannot take advantage of a highly tucked in CPU defense.
Fullbacks 80/80 (previous 60/60) - Definitely experimenting here. Hoping the increase in FB will result in the CPU to stop playing around the back, but also have enough support to go forward.
First Touch20/50 (previous 30/50) - same thing with the ADD, just lowering it 10 clicks everytime i see it.

Slider / Player / CPU

Shot Error 50/54
Shot Speed 50/49
Injury Freq 62/62
Injury Severity 42/42
Line Height 58/58
Fullbacks 55/55

This is working great for me thanks. Very clever the AI pass speed really works.

Glad they helped. :)

I was playing around with the acceleration figure last night, and found that it really does have an impact on the CPU receiving passes in some situations - when paired with a low pass speed, players just can't reach certain passes.

That being said, the effect it has on their ability to regain possession makes it a bit too easy. There's a balance to be found, though.

I'm currently experimenting with keeping sliders as close to 50 as possible, so that team styles are more varied, but changed enough so that pass success rate is more realistic. It's a challenge, though - especially on Legendary, where the AI will make up for certain nerfs by playing a different way (e.g. high pass error, lots of short passes).

Your setting of CPU marking to 45 changed the game for me. Went from utterly frustrating with spurts of enjoyment to thoroughly enjoyable with minor irritations.

So, so much better now.

Continuing the experiments, I was playing around with World Class last night. There's a rumour on the EA forums that there's been a balls-up and that World Class and Legendary are the wrong way around (and that it's been that way for a while), but I don't think it's that simple. However, it is definitely more challenging, due to the insanely quick control and decision-making from the CPU.

I played as Liverpool vs Lokomotiv in a pre-season game, and rather than it being the usual 1-0/2-0 (on Legendary), it was 2-2 - that's the highest score I've seen when playing the CPU on the harder difficulties. So I carried on, and even though I felt largely frustrated at the CPU's perfect play (especially with the worse teams)... I don't know - I wonder if it can be made enjoyable with sliders.

I've been looking to see scores increase, so I'm going to keep fiddling with World Class for now. One thing I noticed is that World Class doesn't like you turning down the "acceleration" slider - you see some really weird animations and first-touches that seem to play at double-speed.

In-fact, at one point, I had a player who was "locked" into jogging on the spot - possibly the worst bug I've seen because I was defending at the time. I was holding sprint and pushing towards the ball, but the player was literally jogging on the spot. Letting go of the sprint button "freed" him.

This leads me to believe that the programming for World Class is truly a different animal from the other difficulties - in-fact, it feels to me that Professional and Legendary have had work done to them, but World Class has stayed the same since FIFA 15 (and thus has a lot of the old tendencies).

Last edited:
Do you find World Class more enjoyable to play to the others?
I don't, but I'm working on it...

I finished a game last night where the opposition had 20 shots (!) and I had 10. It wasn't realistic, because it was a pre-season friendly against a team much worse than mine, but then on Legendary I've never seen the opposition have that many shots.

How on earth are you playing against lesser ranked teams on Pro and having competitive matches though? Or are you simply seeking to ensure that your outcomes are more realistic?

Also, what assistance settings are you using? I have contemplated using Pro difficulty for some matches but playing all manual to make it more fair, while I use some assistance on the higher difficulties.

LOL pro is beating me all the time. PRO is much harder this year.

Continuing the experiments, I was playing around with World Class last night. There's a rumour on the EA forums that there's been a balls-up and that World Class and Legendary are the wrong way around (and that it's been that way for a while), but I don't think it's that simple. However, it is definitely more challenging, due to the insanely quick control and decision-making from the CPU.

I played as Liverpool vs Lokomotiv in a pre-season game, and rather than it being the usual 1-0/2-0 (on Legendary), it was 2-2 - that's the highest score I've seen when playing the CPU on the harder difficulties. So I carried on, and even though I felt largely frustrated at the CPU's perfect play (especially with the worse teams)... I don't know - I wonder if it can be made enjoyable with sliders.

I've been looking to see scores increase, so I'm going to keep fiddling with World Class for now. One thing I noticed is that World Class doesn't like you turning down the "acceleration" slider - you see some really weird animations and first-touches that seem to play at double-speed.

In-fact, at one point, I had a player who was "locked" into jogging on the spot - possibly the worst bug I've seen because I was defending at the time. I was holding sprint and pushing towards the ball, but the player was literally jogging on the spot. Letting go of the sprint button "freed" him.

This leads me to believe that the programming for World Class is truly a different animal from the other difficulties - in-fact, it feels to me that Professional and Legendary have had work done to them, but World Class has stayed the same since FIFA 15 (and thus has a lot of the old tendencies).

Yeah it does look that way that World class stayed the same. And the AI is so perfect. I think pass error on 52 and pass speed on 15 mite help from your slider settings.

Last edited:

Seriously, I still can't make my f'ing mind up about WC v Legendary. It's doing my head in.

There's just something "better" about Legendary than WC that makes it more enjoyable to play for me. Meanwhile, I've played about 4 seasons worth now of both difficulties, and the outcomes - in terms of W/D/Ls and goals for and against - are SO similar between the two difficulties. The only real difference I think I'm fairly certain of between the two is that I have a bit more time and space to dribble on WC and the CPU's final third feels a little less compact. But regardless, the outcome of matches trends pretty much the same for me. Most importantly, defending is just as frustrating on both difficulties for me.

These difficulties are just about the most frustrating thing for me in the game right now and it REALLY needs to be addressed by EA. I adore how it plays on Pro - except now I crush the CPU 4-0 most Pro matches - but both WC and Legendary are pretty miserable experiences for me in terms of defending against the CPU, and I need something that's less step up from Pro. I'm fine with Legendary as is but WC needs to be easier, less frustrating.

I've also come across the same issue with the speed sliders. In fact, deviating from default this year, I'm seeing more "weird" things than in the past I think.

LOL pro is beating me all the time. PRO is much harder this year.

Yeah it does look that way that World class stayed the same. And the AI is so perfect. I think pass error on 52 and pass speed on 15 mite help from your slider settings.

Pro is definitely harder this year, though much of this is about just relearning how to play FIFA. But I had to play Pro for a couple weeks this year whereas usually I jump straight into WC. I still go back to Pro sometimes for a less stressful experience, and it's a lot of fun. I absolutely love the more human-like error of the CPU on Pro.

About the sliders, be careful with going so low on pass speed. Unless of course you just want to make the game much less challenging, going below about 40 for CPU pass speed kills the CPU attack and turns unrealistically quick passing moves into unrealistically sluggish passing moves.

For example, I was experimenting with passing speed in the 20s, and I found it pretty much equaled an extra goal per game for me due to easy turnovers in the CPU's side of the pitch.

Ya gotta remember, this game is balanced the way it is at default for a reason and when you start making big changes, there's knock-on effects. Also gotta remember that the CPU is given stat boosts and cheats for a reason - take those away in the name of realism and you take away quite a bit of the CPU's cutting edge and challenge of the game.

Personally I find that I can't push the sliders more than about 5 pts beyond default in either way without weird or negative consequences popping up.

To each's own though...

Last edited:
Pro is definitely harder this year, though much of this is about just relearning how to play FIFA. But I had to play Pro for a couple weeks this year whereas usually I jump straight into WC. I still go back to Pro sometimes for a less stressful experience, and it's a lot of fun. I absolutely love the more human-like error of the CPU on Pro.

About the sliders, be careful with going so low on pass speed. Unless of course you just want to make the game much less challenging, going below about 40 for CPU pass speed kills the CPU attack and turns unrealistically quick passing moves into unrealistically sluggish passing moves.

For example, I was experimenting with passing speed in the 20s, and I found it pretty much equaled an extra goal per game for me due to easy turnovers in the CPU's side of the pitch.

Ya gotta remember, this game is balanced the way it is at default for a reason and when you start making big changes, there's knock-on effects. Also gotta remember that the CPU is given stat boosts and cheats for a reason - take those away in the name of realism and you take away quite a bit of the CPU's cutting edge and challenge of the game.

Personally I find that I can't push the sliders more than about 5 pts beyond default in either way without weird or negative consequences popping up.

To each's own though...

could you please post your current sliders mate?

Sliders for me right now are very experimental and to be honest I've been playing mostly at default the last couple days because I've decided I want to play a full CM season on default Legendary to see what the results look like.

I should also say that I now prioritize leveling the playing field with the CPU over focusing first on realism. IMO seeking simulation will just lead to months upon months of tweaking because for every little bit of realism or positive improvement you enhance, something else gets thrown out of whack. I've seen this with all my own slider experiments, and with all the other "sim" slider sets that get posted all around the interwebz.

IMO you just have to figure out which bits of unrealism you're willing to tolerate. I'm just a closer to default guy (plus it makes it easier switching between single player and multiplayer).

That said, I think my most recent sliders were basically centered around having the CPU with Pass and First Touch error at 55 and Pass speed at 40-45. I also had CPU marking at 45-47. CPU shot error is at 53 I think. Those for me are all the key factors in levelling the odds, though I'll be the first to admit that I suck at adjusting line settings, so I leave those at default for now. All User settings are default I think.

Oh, also I should say, though I haven't tried this myself, my roommate has been playing with everything default except putting the CPU's accel to 49, and he's really happy.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

To each's own though...

I don't think more than 5pts makes a huge difference. Ea already said before this game that online play isn't all 50's but they won't say what the sliders are.

The truth is the AI hasn't changed ever in fifa all they do is stat pump and make them attack more ( this is not fixing the AI) all this does is makes you chase the AI for 90mins. On WC i can have zero shots 0-0 with 39% possession vs 4 star teams.

You really need to play LD vs AI because this is what it was designed for. The AI will pass it perfectly all around the back once they turn on park the bus and this is on PRO.

Pass error high just makes them pass short and pass speed makes them miss time the pass via power.

VS AI its ether too hard or too easy no balance.

LD fixes a lot of problems for me i don't know if anyone wants to try that.

Thanks for the pointers on the pass speed. You need to play on legendary with pass error on 15-20

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom