FIFA 14 OT, Next Gen, PC Love, Fanboys, Star Wars, Hand Sanitizers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 14

Shooting does sound a lot better tbh

Agreed. Should look and feel better by the sounds of it. Hopefully it feels heavier. Actually, I hope everything in FIFA 14 feels a little heavier--shooting, passing, running, ball physics etc...

Glad to see midfield gameplay is being worked on this year.

Last edited:

Hang on. Just because you CAN hold the ball and shield it, doesn't mean any human players actually will do that. No doubt they'll just keep moving the ball with passes or with sprinting.

I think it could be handy though around the 18 yard box if you're backed into a defender and want to skin him to get a clear shot off.

Hang on. Just because you CAN hold the ball and shield it, doesn't mean any human players actually will do that. No doubt they'll just keep moving the ball with passes or with sprinting.

I think it could be handy though around the 18 yard box if you're backed into a defender and want to skin him to get a clear shot off.

Well I think the idea is that because of changes to defensive AI and to sprinting, you won't be able to so easily move the ball with forward passes and sprinting.

Whether it's all implemented well enough to do the job, we won't know until we play it, but that's what it sounds like they're trying to achieve.

It doesn't seem that far out to imagine it could have that effect. The availability of open passing options is probably the biggest reason for why you can go from one end of the pitch to the other so quickly.

Out of all the things they've done over the years, I think this does seem the most promising in terms of reviving the midfield.

Agreed. Should look and feel better by the sounds of it. Hopefully it feels heavier. Actually, I hope everything in FIFA 14 feels a little heavier--shooting, passing, running, ball physics etc...

There weren't enough different trajectories for my liking, it was either a straight line bullet type shot and a curler most of the time.

There weren't enough different trajectories for my liking, it was either a straight line bullet type shot and a curler most of the time.

Yeah true. Pretty sure they had dipping shots more often in FIFA 11 than 12 or 13. I didn't like the dipping shot example they used in the video yesterday though. I want to see the ball dip under the crossbar not just bounce in front of the keeper.

I think the shooting physics should be more driven by the position of the ball. Well be more evident of such. For example, now they have some balls bobbling around with the first touch error and you can hit the ball on the half volley ( I think Tevez uses the outside of the foot to hit these shots on FIFA 13). If they can get more variety in how the ball sits at your foot and how the foot approaches the ball, which is maybe what they're trying to do, then you could see some more realistic and unpredictable shooting trajectories. Hopefully the new PES engine allows for this as well.

Got the impression midfield play was getting some love this year after reading the first look impressions posted over at FSB. How it all ends up though we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-14-first-look-impressions/

Yeah true. Pretty sure they had dipping shots more often in FIFA 11 than 12 or 13. I didn't like the dipping shot example they used in the video yesterday though. I want to see the ball dip under the crossbar not just bounce in front of the keeper.

I think the shooting physics should be more driven by the position of the ball. Well be more evident of such. For example, now they have some balls bobbling around with the first touch error and you can hit the ball on the half volley ( I think Tevez uses the outside of the foot to hit these shots on FIFA 13). If they can get more variety in how the ball sits at your foot and how the foot approaches the ball, which is maybe what they're trying to do, then you could see some more realistic and unpredictable shooting trajectories. Hopefully the new PES engine allows for this as well.

Well, technically I'm pretty sure the ball would have been able to dip, and rise previously because it's a natural entailment of the physical effects they already have. The only purely new effect will be the turbulence on the ball leading to knuckling when the ball isn't spinning much.

However, a variety of things should mean that you see a much wider variety of shots far more often. The reality is that you almost never see rising shots currently, you only ever see dipping shots when the ball is hit on the volley, you never see knuckle shots because they aren't in the game, and so on, and so on.

maybe is stupid but i would like to have squad number cards in ultimate team, and that i can use 2 home kits...

Is it just me or do the graphics look really cartoonish? Look at Pastore's body ffs!
FIFA14_FR_protect_the_ball.jpg

Is it just me or do the graphics look really cartoonish? Look at Pastore's body ffs!
FIFA14_FR_protect_the_ball.jpg

Yea, they do look strange. Never been FIFA's strong suit really. I think someone told EA they could learn a lot from the NBA 2K series and this year they decided to make the player models look like basketball players...

Last edited:

'We're not changing the actual game speed but it'll be slowed down by our new features.'

Excerpt taken from 'The Trolls Of EA : Aron McHardy'.

Guys, don't buy into the hype. They've promised tonnes of things in the past that either a) wasn't even there b) got removed c) worked nothing like advertised.

Even the demo felt different from the full version.

Guys, don't buy into the hype. They've promised tonnes of things in the past that either a) wasn't even there b) got removed c) worked nothing like advertised.

Even the demo felt different from the full version.

It's better then nothing. Still a decent game. Until Konami make a proper footy sim or another company gets in the act. We are stuck with ea fifa

Yea, they do look strange. Never been FIFA's strong suit really. I think someone told EA they could learn a lot from the NBA 2K series and this year they decided to make the player models look like basketball players...

Pastore in particulair looks ridiculous, compare his Hulk Hogan-like torso with his scrawny legs! :LOL:

Hope they don't ruin it this year. And, multiple demos will help.

FIFA 14 playtest on April 30th, btw.

I'm a bit surprisd that EA announced Fifa 14 bfeore Konami. But seriously, what's the point in making an announcement of a game that everyone knows it will be released this year, and just showing screenshots that will only make people think that this game will be just like last year's game ? Come on... show us something new at least.

You guys probably hear this every year, but I think this is really the year that Konami have the opportunity to bring much of their crowd back with the new engine, before both companies go full nextgen.

Last edited:

I still cant believe how mediocre the graphics are on FIFA compared with PES, I'm thinking more about the faces & kits. Kits & Faces have been a weak point in FIFA for a long time. Plus the announced features so far are nowhere near enough to warrant people having to pay £40 for the game.

There has been stuff broken in FIFA for years which hasnt been fixed, and no doubt it wont be fixed yet.

Before someone calls me a FIFA basher, I bought from 1996-2011 so I'm not some kind of anti-FIFA person (well, I am about the real FIFA....) :P

There are some visual aspects that PES wins out for me, like player models, but I honestly don't see how you could consider PES faces to be on par with those in FIFA that receive the face capture treatment.

The problem in FIFA is that some faces, even for some well known players, can be really poor, but I think that's rare, whilst the number of generic faces really grows old.

Obviously there's going to be trade-offs when FIFA has 100s (1,000s?) of more players in its database.

Nah man, I seriously cannot accept that PES faces look "horrific" compared to FIFA's? Are you having me on?

I know your a hardcore FIFA fan but thats ridiculous.

I'm talking about the technology, not any kind of likenesses etc.

Last I looked Konami still used that 2d-3d pasted overlay which just looks so outdated these days compared to Fifa's face tech.

The faces on both are hit and miss, if you look at the ones in this article then there isn't a big differences in faces. Overall based on this article I prefer the Fifa faces, but as I said there isn't much between them.

Fifa are a bit more cartoony, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are worse imo. A lot of players in PES look a bit more realistic but most of them look like they have been taking crack for a very long time.

http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...pes-2013-face-comparisons-which-looks-better/

I'm talking about the technology, not any kind of likenesses etc.

Last I looked Konami still used that 2d-3d pasted overlay which just looks so outdated these days compared to Fifa's face tech.

But what does tech count for when the outcome isn't what needs to be?

What's the point of super-realistic faces when you can't recognize them from your playing camera, like wide or tele? It's a bit ridiculus for a company to spend months to capture realistic faces when the player models are so obsolete and wrong!

Ea (with fifa 15) have to concentrate on player models, movement physics, foot planting and AI. Things they totaly ignore all these year and have to be the core of a football game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom