FIFA 14 OT, Next Gen, PC Love, Fanboys, Star Wars, Hand Sanitizers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 14

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130417005473/en/EA-SPORTS-FIFA-14-Captures-Emotion-Scoring

FIFA14_GEN3_SP_pure_shot.jpg&download=1

PES faces have looked horrific compared to Fifas for the last 2-3 years, they remind me of this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9JaGSX-3WJg#t=158s

Seriously? Cmon... Only a handful of faces (the scanned ones) look good on FIFA and there's still that odd "wax model" effect and a complete lack of "humanization" on the player's expression...

Like Lami said, the tech is practically irrelevant when the outcome is mediocre...

pes faces suffer from the shitty lighting konami has used for 2012 and 13. in 2010 and 2011 faces were among the best i have seen in sport games.

Seriously? Cmon... Only a handful of faces (the scanned ones) look good on FIFA and there's still that odd "wax model" effect and a complete lack of "humanization" on the player's expression...

Like Lami said, the tech is practically irrelevant when the outcome is mediocre...

Except the outcome is hardly mediocre - the likeness of the scanned faces to their real life counterparts is uncanny.

But why on earth people care so much about minimal differences in a part of the game that is only relevant in brief cutscenes is beyond me.

no one can say that fifa faces are better in general than pes ones or opposite.

it depends on each player. some players have better faces in fifa, some others in pes.

You're talking about player likeness though (as are many people), I'm talking purely about the technology involved in terms of the smoothness and implementation of the 2d/3d tech, the texturing, rendering etc. etc. I play as a team that never has star heads (ok we have one) so I really don't care about the player likeness just whether or not the close ups look like something from Hannibal/Face Off ;)

You're talking about player likeness though (as are many people), I'm talking purely about the technology involved in terms of the smoothness and implementation of the 2d/3d tech, the texturing, rendering etc. etc. I play as a team that never has star heads (ok we have one) so I really don't care about the player likeness just whether or not the close ups look like something from Hannibal/Face Off ;)

what's the point of technology, no matter what game it is, if player doesn't look like himself?

Maybe it's more important to those of you who support big clubs with players that should have their real faces in Fifa, you should count yourself lucky that you get such love from EA Sports, half the time it doesn't even say the name of my team when they win a corner etc :)

So you guys like to watch 2D faces slapped on 3D head? They look ridiculous! Gaming is well past this era.

In all honesty, I don't care if they slap a poster on their faces. Give me proper player inertia.

So you guys like to watch 2D faces slapped on 3D head? They look ridiculous! Gaming is well past this era.

Erm, you do realize that both games do the same exact thing, right? With the exception that the FIFA scanned faces have an accurate 3d model and texture sculpted out/taken from a 360 degrees "photo", when in PES all face models and textures are created by 3d artists using a single or a couple of photos...

What's the point of super-realistic faces when you can't recognize them from your playing camera, like wide or tele? It's a bit ridiculus for a company to spend months to capture realistic faces when the player models are so obsolete and wrong!

Ea (with fifa 15) have to concentrate on player models, movement physics, foot planting and AI. Things they totaly ignore all these year and have to be the core of a football game...

Realistic faces are surely needed for immersive experience in cut scenes, warming-up, player entrance, goal celebration and so on.. my guess is that FIFA's body model is closely related to their current animation engine stuff..

Erm, you do realize that both games do the same exact thing, right? With the exception that the FIFA scanned faces have an accurate 3d model and texture sculpted out/taken from a 360 degrees "photo", when in PES all face models and textures are created by 3d artists using a single or a couple of photos...
I don't really care about deep technical stuff here. It literally looks like a 2D image slapped on a head in PES. The face 3D model is totally unrealistic which is uncomfortable to me.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the new PES engine which would hopefully make this discussion obsolete.

I don't really care about deep technical stuff here. It literally looks like a 2D image slapped on a head in PES. The face 3D model is totally unrealistic which is uncomfortable to me.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the new PES engine which would hopefully make this discussion obsolete.

It's not that literal, but yes, because the reference pics are probably taken from the internet, the quality of the 3d sculpt isn't very accurate.

Anyway...

I don't care about shorts and i certainly don't care about indoor mode..all i want is good natural movement and fouls (some product ini files and Db mods have kind of fixed it but not by nearly enough)..lets get the game play spot on before adding more things that can be messed up

Yeah, just to clarify, I have no interest in the shorts or to a degree the faces. Just always find it amusing seeing the images.

Gameplay over everything else for me.

Really could not care less about faces or shorts. At all.

other players say the same about gameplay, ai, whatever.

if we apply all of those opinions -> i suppose no progress is our goal.

honestly, if you can achieve better, even on the simplest of tasks (like moving shorts, standard for many games for many years) you should and have to.

EA have different teams for graphics, gameplay, ai, menus, etc.

what in the flipping hell has the graphics department done for the past few years?

My biggest issue that needs addressing is Defensive AI, I'm fed up with playing as one defender holding up the play and then having my other defenders raking up bizzare positions for the sake of it. More than once a game my RB or LB will decide marking the winger isn't actually his job and drop inside leaving acres of space for that player to run into. Also their random running directions when chasing long balls, if they run in a straight line they might get there before the attacker but they feel the need to chase the striker first and then the ball, so giving up yards on the ball in aid of getting BEHIND the striker! What defender does this?! I help to coach my local under 10's team and even they understand what goal side means.
And someone please explain why a 6 foot 6 inch defender like Naldo can't win a header if his life depended on it? I mean even Messi wins headers when they've both 'jumped' gah!

other players say the same about gameplay, ai, whatever.

if we apply all of those opinions -> i suppose no progress is our goal.

honestly, if you can achieve better, even on the simplest of tasks (like moving shorts, standard for many games for many years) you should and have to.

EA have different teams for graphics, gameplay, ai, menus, etc.

what in the flipping hell has the graphics department done for the past few years?

In an ideal world, all opinions would have some merit to them. In reality, not all opinions are created the same. (Sorry but whoever says they don't care about gameplay or AI is an idiot.)

I think the frustration that some of us have in regards to people critiquing the smaller details of these screenshots is that the aspects that are being criticized are about as important to the overall experience as whether or not Torres's haircut is accurate and current.

For example, regarding the shorts, the vast majority of the game is played from a perspective that makes it near impossible to discern such details that are being evaluated. Why bother making such a big deal about screenshots that are not representative of how the game is played to begin with?

Personally I'm hoping for a big upgrade in gameplay graphics, so I get your frustration over no big improvements in recent years, but in EA's defense they clearly reached a point of diminishing returns with the current tech and it would have been a dumb move to invest in a major graphics upgrade when the next gen consoles were on their way.

But when it does come to what aspects of graphics get improved, I care about the big stuff, the stuff that make a difference when you're playing the game, not the details that matter 1% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom