FIFA 14 OT, Next Gen, PC Love, Fanboys, Star Wars, Hand Sanitizers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 14

When sprinting, players will take touches of varying weight, putting more distance between themselves and the ball. This is tied to attributes, so you’ll see much looser touches at speed for players with lower dribbling stats.

:CONFUSE: Finally! I just hope the AI isn't so horrible so I can play the game this year. But this to me is great news, I have moaned about this for so long now.

Keep in mind we know nothing of the next-gen version yet. There must be a big possibility a next-gen version is released this year with the consoles no?
It doesn't sound like they will be doing a NG release this year. If they were, this would be the first announcement to come out. I believe they are doing the same thing they did at the beginning of this console cycle where the first game was just a port and a year later we saw a NG release.

I guess I won't be buying a PS4/Xbox720 until next year.

let's see if this is going to cut it vs. that other game with that possibly very good engine.

nothing groundbreaking in fifa for 7? 8? years, sort of sucks.

let's see if this is going to cut it vs. that other game with that possibly very good engine.

It's hard to imagine PES being better than FIFA 14 on its first try on a new engine. That's the problem with Konami playing catch-up. It will have better Graphics though.

:CONFUSE: Finally! I just hope the AI isn't so horrible so I can play the game this year. But this to me is great news, I have moaned about this for so long now.

Guarantee it will be tuned down/removed once cheesers complain.

Weak foot shot accuracy is still ridiculous. I don't even think about what foot I'm shooting on with 'higher' teams. With lower league teams there is a somewhat noticeable difference in weak foot accuracy but still not enough, shots are just as powerful and accurate with either foot.

It's hard to imagine PES being better than FIFA 14 on its first try on a new engine. That's the problem with Konami playing catch-up. It will have better Graphics though.

I don't agree. Pes first time for 5 years can be better game than FIFA. If they make smart tweaks/changes and create engine like in Ps2 days wihout stupid bugs they will win with FIFA this year. Journalist in Edge magazine said that animations in Pes 2014 is much better than in FIFA 13. The same like with collisions system.It's means Pes technically is better than FIFA or in the same level. Good times for FIFA ends in this aspects.

Last edited:

Pretty underwhelmed (again for about the third straight year) but encouraged by at least a few things:

1) Defensive AI improvements - aside from player movement physics, the biggest issue in FIFA 13;

2) CM - new front page looks like a major improvement whilst the new scouting network system sounds very interesting;

3) Issue is fixed that clearances no longer will be perfect long passes to strikers.

Most disappointed that:

1) Nothing about improved player movement physics;

2) Nothing about a desperately needed overhaul to the team management and tactical systems;

3) Nothing about visual/graphical improvements to gameplay (which I find especially curious/odd);

IMO, all three of these are prerequisites for taking FIFA to the next level. I'm not too concerned with 3) as I'd imagine a visual upgrade is a near certain inclusion for the first FIFA next gen title.

Nothing about 1) and 2) has me most disappointed, though obviously it's still possible something will get revealed about them in the future (but I'd think anything major about player movement physics would've been revealed earlier rather than later.)

I'm also pretty disappointed that nothing has been revealed about changing the tactical defending system. This 2nd Chance Tackles feature sounds cool but more fundamental adjustments to the marking and tackling system is what I think is needed.

Out of everything that has been revealed, my biggest questions are about the new dribbling systems:

1) The devs stated that they're trying to tone down the counter-attacking and emphasize build-up play, but won't the changes to movement at top speed cause further problems?

2) Left trigger is now going to be used for protecting the ball while dribbling - how does this change the controller setup? What happens to skill moves? What happens to the close-dribbling controls?

Last edited:

I don't agree. Pes first time for 5 years can be better game than FIFA. If they make smart tweaks/changes and create engine like in Ps2 days wihout stupid bugs they will win with FIFA this year. Journalist in Edge magazine said that animations in Pes 2014 is much better than in FIFA 13. The same like with collisions system.It's means Pes technically is better than FIFA or in the same level. Good times for FIFA ends in this aspects.

Honestly, PES might be able to catch-up to FIFA in terms of gameplay - though that's a huge MIGHT considering PES's track record for, oh, this entire last generation - but in terms of comparing the franchises as a whole, FIFA has done so much beyond gameplay that I question whether PES truly can catch-up.

As a former PES player, there are a several major issues that a new gameplay engine won't solve:

1) Management mode: the tables have turned and FIFA's CM is now far superior to PES's ML. It's not just in the gameplay area that Konami really dropped the ball in recent years;

2) The licenses. Sorry, but once you get used to all the licenses in FIFA, especially in regards to CM, it's hard to go back;

3) UT and online modes. I play single-player exclusively but it's hard to argue that FIFA's online offerings are far superior and loads of people will choose FIFA simply for this.

Gameplay might be the MOST important aspect of these games, but it's not the ONLY important one. I hope PES's gameplay can again be great, and if it is this year I'll certainly buy the game, but it's going to take more than gameplay improvements alone to make PES the first choice again for football gamers. IMO at least.

I posted this elsewhere but I'll post it here too 'cause I'm curious if anyone has some good insight:

Been reading some of the official info over at EA.com and there's something bothering me: EA are emphasizing midfield build-up play for FIFA 14 but I just don't see how the improvements they've made jive with what they're suggesting gameplay will be like.

In their press release, EA says that "Fans will be able to create rewarding build up to opportunities and have the tools to dictate the tempo of a match through four new features." The four features they list are Protect the Ball, Teammate Intelligence, Sprint Dribble Turns, and Variable Dribble Touches.

But I'm having trouble connecting the dots between these four features and shifting FIFA's gameplay from a non-stop counter-attack to more midfield and buildup play. The only connection I can make is between Teammate Intelligence's improved marking, so it's not quite so easy to pass forward (though on the other hand they're improving attacking AI too). What else is there? If anything, it's hard to imagine how the changes to dribbling at speed won't further compound the problem.

I totally agree with the problem - too much easy counter-attacking; not enough midfield and buildup play - but I just don't see where EA are coming from with these supposed solutions. Am I missing something?

In the past, even if I didn't agree with EA's ideas, I at least usually understood the logic in what they're trying to do. This year I'm not quite getting it. That's not to say the changes won't be for the better, it's just I don't see how they're going to make the difference EA say they will to overall gameplay.

EA think the don't need to improve gameplay? Well they better give me all the visuals and other shite because what we have now is not enough for my £40 whatever

I posted this elsewhere but I'll post it here too 'cause I'm curious if anyone has some good insight:

Absolutely. Specially when you dont see any referance to longballs effectiveness or team marking, whatsoever. So, i assume you will still be able to skip midfield very easily.

Absolutely. Specially when you dont see any referance to longballs effectiveness or team marking, whatsoever. So, i assume you will still be able to skip midfield very easily.

Well I think the Teammate Intelligence improvement is meant to address the current defensive AI deficiencies, which are a major part of the problem.

But will that be enough to shift emphasis from counter-attack play to patient build-up? 'Cause I don't see how the other features will do it.

Yeah.. their player model, cutscenes, goal celebration is still unnatural despite nice general animation.
I am interested regarding the real ball physic stuff they are offering. i can't stand how it feels now.

Thanks

So I guess EA removed the first touch control now that Skills are done just with the right stick? Or does it now combine the two functions?

Last edited:

Taking it for what it is, I like all the things about the ball physics and more contextual shots, passes, tackles and even sprinting.

The improved defensive AI doesn't really deserve any credit cause it's been so dreadful for so long... The same can be said about the added momentum.

It's a bit "insulting" that they didn't touch player models at all (or maybe the did and made it worse). The waxed models with arched arms, the strange "heads on a stick" and the bizarre hands/fingers are so difficult to look at.

Oh they're only making the touches longer but same sprint speed. I thought it would be like in real life where you can have a touch that's too short that makes you slow down to keep control. That would be the proper implementation to make speedy players with bad ball control not being able to run constant top speed (unless they make longer touches).

Maybe next year.

That's a great video. It's especially encouraging to hear that they're at least acknowledging that FIFA's tempo is unrealistically fast, even if they're fixes seem underwhelming. I dunno, maybe just tightening up the defensive AI will be enough.

I'm really curious to see how skill moves are going to be Right Stick only - I don't get how that's even possible.

180 degree turns are now slower and take longer to complete. They also cover much more distance on the pitch.

It's something..

less sprint abusing sounds good but this shielding with allowing to turn in any direction while sprinting will allow people to use that in stead to completely exploit...

I should reference this post for later in the year for when this happens.

no doubt the good will be outdone with the bad, usually the way

That's a great video. It's especially encouraging to hear that they're at least acknowledging that FIFA's tempo is unrealistically fast, even if they're fixes seem underwhelming. I dunno, maybe just tightening up the defensive AI will be enough.

I'm really curious to see how skill moves are going to be Right Stick only - I don't get how that's even possible.
Well since skills usually require more than a flick of the stick I can see how they can combine the first touch and skills.

less sprint abusing sounds good but this shielding with allowing to turn in any direction while sprinting will allow people to use that in stead to completely exploit...

I should reference this post for later in the year for when this happens.

no doubt the good will be outdone with the bad, usually the way
I think it's going to be an improved version of what the LB/L1 function is today. So it will be more responsive, but it will still slow you down as they referred to the brake/gas pedal analogy. What is interesting is also if these changes to the LT button mean that the LT+RT move (FIFA's attempt to replicate Messi's lateral dribble) is now going to be done contextually?

If you read between the lines and the FIFA guys even say describe it in the FIFA insider podcast shooting will be the same they have just improved and added more animations to make it look Better.

If you read between the lines and the FIFA guys even say describe it in the FIFA insider podcast shooting will be the same they have just improved and added more animations to make it look Better.
They are already adding new types of shots types and the animations that correspond to them. What more could they add to be honest? Now there is a distinction between good shots bad ones and that is an important addition because in 13 you'd be under the impression that shooting was inconsistent when the real problem was that there weren't enough animations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom