FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - GAME RELATED TALK ONLY!

The real problem with this is not with them trying to fool people (because that's the usual), but with the people buying all this marketing crap, even after clear evidence that it's all pure marketing.

Foot planting for instance, I haven't seen a single glimpse of it on both IGN and Gamespot demos, yet people are saying it's there.

No, the real problem is people blowing things way out of proportion... calling devs liars, companies villains, making it sound like the game is trash, like there's absolutely no improvements, "that it's all pure marketing."

The irony is that a lot of folks in here are just as guilty, if not more, of exaggerations as the marketing departments you're criticizing.

The truth is almost always somewhere in the middle.

just watched a gameplay video of current gen version and the game just feels fucking the same.

It fells like players still move their legs few inches above the ground, no evidence of proper footplanting whatsoever, and while sprinting they keep the same pace when making some direction changes, movement physics still seem to be way off, they are still gliding way too much when making some 45 or 90 turns with the ball. The game is very fast paced, players are still a bit too "light" for my taste.

My impressions are from the video below. If someone told me this is Fifa 13 I would believe it. I can't spot any difference from Fifa 13 gameplay, sorry.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3czX4jHO1_M

Last edited:

How much do you want to bet that FIFA 14 current gen still destroys PES in sales?

And even among the hardcore, there's still loads of us who've lost all patience and faith in Konami, so until I experience for it myself, there's little reason to think Konami's execution will match their vision and the hype.

So what ? People are just arguing about the game it'self, the gameplay and differences compared to previous versions, not their success on the market.

Too bad Konami marketing is very poor and the licenses are very relevant to casuals, because from what I've seen so far, Fifa current gen deserves to get a huge hit in sales and PES 2014 deserves to sale much more than what they sold in comparison to Fifa last year, just like COD "nextgen" deserves to recieve big hit while BF4 sales should increase in comparison.

How exactly does one define a "casual"?

I care about licenses insomuch as I want the proper league/cup structure of the English leagues with promotion, relegation, playoffs, euro tournaments and I've played 464 hours of Fifa13, am I a "casual"?

YouTube - New FIFA 14 feature was already in FIFA 13 - fact.

Like I was saying, stuff like that isn't exactly worth advertising. :)

Will have few more of those coming (the defender getting IN front of attacker to BLOCK him is also there in FIFA 13, the chest flick is done automatically in 1.7 patch).

Hm.

Wow! And this is so little.. I mean it's a cool but minor detail, so anouncing that as a feature sounds ridiculous!!:R1

I care about licenses insomuch as I want the proper league/cup structure of the English leagues with promotion, relegation, playoffs, euro tournaments and I've played 464 hours of Fifa13, am I a "casual"?

Exactly. PES's gameplay used to be what made me prefer it to FIFA, but it was Master League that kept me playing throughout the year.

Now it's the complete reverse. Licenses, a realistic management mode, commentary... there's more than just gameplay that contributes to an authentic experience, especially for those of us primarily interested in single player management modes.

The pb is that some people are so quick to categorize others.Like you can't enjoy both footie games, like if you care about licenses you're a casual gamer and nothing else, like if you wanna play on assisted/semi assisted settings you're a noob who wants to win at all costs..
Best to ignore them comments

IMO, it's okay for being a "casual" gamer, except if you're working in a game development as a tester but not being a "hardcore" gamer. We're just playing for our own pleasure anyway. Everyone has different preferences.
The pb is that some people are so quick to categorize others.Like you can't enjoy both footie games, like if you care about licenses you're a casual gamer and nothing else, like if you wanna play on assisted/semi assisted settings you're a noob who wants to win at all costs..
Best to ignore them comments
Categorizing everything is human nature, can't help it. We're categorizing everything since we're born.

Last edited:
just watched a gameplay video of current gen version and the game just feels fucking the same.

It fells like players still move their legs few inches above the ground, no evidence of proper footplanting whatsoever, and while sprinting they keep the same pace when making some direction changes, movement physics still seem to be way off, they are still gliding way too much when making some 45 or 90 turns with the ball. The game is very fast paced, players are still a bit too "light" for my taste.

My impressions are from the video below. If someone told me this is Fifa 13 I would believe it. I can't spot any difference from Fifa 13 gameplay, sorry.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3czX4jHO1_M

I can't believe anybody expects it to look any different anyway. It's 22 virtual players on a green background. You won't notice much just buy watching a video. The minor differences will be felt when playing the game.

I can't believe anybody expects it to look any different anyway. It's 22 virtual players on a green background. You won't notice much just buy watching a video. The minor differences will be felt when playing the game.
Well, why do FIFA 14 videos and PES 2014 videos look completely different then? They are both simulating the same sport...

Because FIFA outsold PES by 14 to 1 (or something) last year.

I'm sure FIFA will feel more different than it looks. I'm sure it still won't be enough for many of us, or that the attacking AI will still feel dumb now that the defences are meant to be less stupid.

People expect differences because they're told to. When the promise of a new engine turns out to appear just a slight visual upgrade, it's only normal that people are pissed off.

I know I am, I salivated with the promise of proper foot planting and then I see none of it. I guess that people like KSI&co would have hated it because it would imply slowing down the game and possibly make it harder.

I think FIFA 12' is when I felt the game had just stagnated to a point were I don't think it resembled football anymore.

In all honesty go back to 08/09/10, the core of the game is similar to PES of old which they've brought forward tenfold.

Since EA have gone away from that, the game doesn't have the same spark it and just feels awkward.

Last edited:

People expect differences because they're told to. When the promise of a new engine turns out to appear just a slight visual upgrade, it's only normal that people are pissed off.

I know I am, I salivated with the promise of proper foot planting and then I see none of it. I guess that people like KSI&co would have hated it because it would imply slowing down the game and possibly make it harder.

The point he and Rom are making is that you typically need to play the game to truly see the differences.

Instead people are making premature judgments based on little or no evidence - I mean c'mon, calling the new engine nothing but a slight visual upgrade when you haven't played it, let alone seen any gameplay footage yet? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Every hands-on impression written so far, be it from the press or the community, has suggested that the new features for both current gen and next gen FIFA are substantial changes, and yet haters are completely condemning FIFA 14 and being "pissed off" based on poor video samples, or in the case of next gen FIFA, no gameplay footage at all. Ridiculous.

Well, why do FIFA 14 videos and PES 2014 videos look completely different then? They are both simulating the same sport...

They are different games duh. I doubt PES 14 looks much different to PES 13. Anyway, people like a good old whinge just for the sake of it.
Try the demo, if you don't like, don't buy. Simple answer. All the moaning doesn't change anything so a bit pointless IMO.

I'm not arguing that the game may feel different from what it looks, and that gameplay is only felt with the controller on your hands.

I'm just stating that from what I've seen there's no evidence of anything they mentioned tech-wise. They might not be gameplay videos but they did show you something you can compare with previous generation stuff, and while I'm on replay cam on FIFA13 I get a very similar game to that in terms of footplanting, momentum, animations, and even the same typical FIFA stuff like left-footed players shooting with their right foot...

Obviously I cannot comment on gameplay mechanics but I do have the right to dislike what I do see and can comment about. And when they announce animations that were clearly on the previous games as new features, it's like they're asking to be criticized...

They are different games duh. I doubt PES 14 looks much different to PES 13. Anyway, people like a good old whinge just for the sake of it.
Try the demo, if you don't like, don't buy. Simple answer. All the moaning doesn't change anything so a bit pointless IMO.

There's PES footage already, and I don't thing people are whining for the sake of it. If everything EA has said about the game was to be taken as facts and then looking at both the replay footage and even press impressions, there's enough to be disappointed about.

I'm not arguing that the game may feel different from what it looks, and that gameplay is only felt with the controller on your hands.

I'm just stating that from what I've seen there's no evidence of anything they mentioned tech-wise. They might not be gameplay videos but they did show you something you can compare with previous generation stuff, and while I'm on replay cam on FIFA13 I get a very similar game to that in terms of footplanting, momentum, animations, and even the same typical FIFA stuff like left-footed players shooting with their right foot...

Obviously I cannot comment on gameplay mechanics but I do have the right to dislike what I do see and can comment about. And when they announce animations that were clearly on the previous games as new features, it's like they're asking to be criticized...

Let's see, the new Ignite Engine is meant to have three core areas of improvements for FIFA 14: improved player movement physics, more realistic atmosphere, and upgraded AI.

The old canned animation system has been replaced by a new engine that overhauls the way movement is calculated - an upgrade that has been in the works for two years and is coming to both versions of FIFA 14. This is on top of an advertised 1,000 new animations for the next gen version.

As for atmosphere, we've got 3d crowds, improved stadium and pitch visuals, and supposedly both crowds and players respond to game-specific circumstances.

As for AI, in addition to the new defensive AI improvements coming to the current gen version, the next gen version is meant to deliver 4x more decision-making calculations per second, and an ability for players to make far more intelligent decisions than is capable on current gen.

Now, I'm sure I've missed some stuff, but I'd like to know how you've come to the conclusion that all of the above is in fact nothing more than a "slight visual upgrade" based on no hands-on time yourself and not even any gameplay footage. I'm especially curious as to how you can completely disregard the atmosphere and AI elements without having played the game or seen gameplay footage.

It's one thing to be apprehensive toward these new additions, and I think we all probably should be, within reason, but it's something else entirely to completely disregard FIFA 14 next gen as a minor visual upgrade considering we have so little to go on at this point. Clearly the only reason you participate in this forum is to criticize and hate just for the sake of it.

Just watched that E3 interview where they look at Fifa14 videos, shows a lovely headed goal, shame the head and ball don't connect...

Yeah that's the one, and how embarrassing that the EA producer went on and on about the header and rewound it like three times!

Yeah that's the one, and how embarrassing that the EA producer went on and on about the header and rewound it like three times!

Time to fix it but you wouldn't even tell in proper game camera mode. Things like that really aren't that big a deal to me as I don't piss about with zoomed in replays anyway.

Of course I agree with you, it's just really crap that this is like the 3rd or 4th Fifa in a row to have a really poorly implemented physical interaction layer, you had the

Magic goalkeepers of Fifa09:

YouTube - Fifa09: Cech's Magic Hands

Magic tackling legs of Fifa 10:

YouTube - Fifa10 Defender's magic boots :(

And I'm sure there were other similar issues in the later Fifas.

It's something hard to deal with in terms of coding, although such massive distances are probably just bugs :p

Its even more pointless to moan about "moaning" (i call it critics), no? Got to love these EA cops. :PIRATE:

Just watched that E3 interview where they look at Fifa14 videos, shows a lovely headed goal, shame the head and ball don't connect...

Reminded me of some PES replays that I wish I hadn't watched lol.

But seriously, why on earth does EA show off Xavi of all players, towering above someone for a headed goal? I've never seen him even contest a normal header anywhere on the pitch!

The same with an early FIFA 14 trailer where Messi was dribbling with his right foot. It's not even miniscule attention to detail I'm talking about, but two very obvious things that just don't happen in real life, or if they did would be the absolute exception not the rule.

Any news on a demo date?

Let's see, the new Ignite Engine is meant to have three core areas of improvements for FIFA 14: improved player movement physics, more realistic atmosphere, and upgraded AI.

The old canned animation system has been replaced by a new engine that overhauls the way movement is calculated - an upgrade that has been in the works for two years and is coming to both versions of FIFA 14. This is on top of an advertised 1,000 new animations for the next gen version.

As for atmosphere, we've got 3d crowds, improved stadium and pitch visuals, and supposedly both crowds and players respond to game-specific circumstances.

As for AI, in addition to the new defensive AI improvements coming to the current gen version, the next gen version is meant to deliver 4x more decision-making calculations per second, and an ability for players to make far more intelligent decisions than is capable on current gen.

Now, I'm sure I've missed some stuff, but I'd like to know how you've come to the conclusion that all of the above is in fact nothing more than a "slight visual upgrade" based on no hands-on time yourself and not even any gameplay footage. I'm especially curious as to how you can completely disregard the atmosphere and AI elements without having played the game or seen gameplay footage.

It's one thing to be apprehensive toward these new additions, and I think we all probably should be, within reason, but it's something else entirely to completely disregard FIFA 14 next gen as a minor visual upgrade considering we have so little to go on at this point. Clearly the only reason you participate in this forum is to criticize and hate just for the sake of it.

Its only a slight update for current gen i think is the argument, its all fine if you intend to go out and spend 400 quid on a new console (as it goes i intend to get the ps4) but other people have a right to be disappointed especially people with a half decent PC (like myself) that could run all the new features easily but EA have decided not to implement.

Fifa 14 next gen, is a Fifa 14 current gen based game.
The improvements are:
1.The shitty impact engine is replaced by ignite. Now we have more realistic collision detection system.
2.Better and animated kits.
3.Thicker and more 3d grass
4.Better stadium atmosphere.
5.More animations to make players feel more grounded and not so floaty.

The rest is fifa 14 current gen which means:
Same animations
Same models
Same ball-ball physics
Same overall game engine.

So its a fifa 14 half next gen for me.

FIFA 14 - GAME RELATED TALK ONLY!

Its even more pointless to moan about "moaning" (i call it critics), no? Got to love these EA cops. :PIRATE:

EA cops? What a childish comment. Too old to have loyalty to anything gaming wise. I just appreciate that I have a half decent game of virtual footy to play. I don't expect massive differences between each yearly release and am amazed that some do.

If I was with a mate right now and he was moaning like a bitch, I'd tell him to STFU! What's pointless about that?

I'm not telling the guy above to STFU. I'm just saying moaning about a moaner isn't as pointless as you say in certain situations and basically you have just moaned about a moaner having a moan at another moaner anyway! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom