FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - GAME RELATED TALK ONLY!

According to vgchartz it's more like 7 to 1, and the PES sales are grossly underestimated there...

7 to 1? So, something like a 12 million sales gap between them. And PES sales are 'underestimated'. So, shall we say it's a 10 million gap (which is me being really generous)? Oh, well in that case EA really need to make drastic changes.

You might, MIGHT be missing the point there, chap.

Its only a slight update for current gen i think is the argument, its all fine if you intend to go out and spend 400 quid on a new console (as it goes i intend to get the ps4) but other people have a right to be disappointed especially people with a half decent PC (like myself) that could run all the new features easily but EA have decided not to implement.

Yes, if I was a PC-only gamer, I'd be disappointed too. Just like if I wasn't fortunate enough to be able to afford a next gen console, I'd be disappointed that I wouldn't be playing next gen FIFA this year.

But that's not at all what he was saying. He was arguing that next gen fifa is nothing but a minor visual upgrade... without having seen gameplay let alone having played it. That's just being unreasonably negative.

Even your argument, that current gen is only a slight update, is overly pessimistic at this point. We've got a feature in Precision Movement that for years we've been begging for, and supposedly upgraded defensive AI, which was one of last year's game's biggest problems... on top of everything else, like better shooting physics and a protect the ball feature... I don't get how that can be construed as merely a "slight" update.

Unless of course you're judging the leap between FIFA 13 and 14 based on the improvements that PES is making this year. Obviously this year's PES will be a more significant update, but like rom has been saying, that's because they've needed to make a bigger leap forward. But just as it's premature to call FIFA's new additions failures, it's premature to expect PES's new engine to be as great as advertised, especially considering their most recent track record.

Who knows, it's possible that all of FIFA's new features will be disappointments. In fact, with the high standards in here, I'm sure they'll probably be painted that way by some. Personally I'm not expecting Precision Movement to be the be-all-end-all of movement physics, but I'd be shocked if gameplay isn't substantially affected by it.

We'd be smart to be apprehensive, but calling these features a failure and the game a minimal update this early is simply being prematurely and overly pessimistic.

Last edited:

mfmaxpower you're doing the same what critics of FIFA do.

You haven't played it either, yet you believe anything press writes about it.

I thought people grew up from being brainwashed by EA. Guess not.

They did the same exact thing since I was registered @EA forums. I remember Ian speaking of FIFA 10 on PC as next big thing, bla bla bla, 360 movement and whatnot.

When the demo and game finally came out, he was eaten alive and resigned same year. Next year we did get FIFA NG alright. Guess EA couldn't prolong that for too long (selling PS2 crap to PC users).

They lie a lot. The press lies a lot too. In Poland even before PES vids got released, the game got already attacked as being inferior to FIFA (sigh! - before VIDEOS were released!).

So I take those EA Sports revelations with pinch of salt each year. Never came out wrong doing so. All of them innovations sound really great on paper, but in gameplay, when demo/full game gets released, it just doesn't feel much different to game last year, except updated rosters and few features changed/added.

Also I would like to address something I found wrong in IGN/Gamespot video. There is far too many outside boot passes. Count how many were there in that short replay video. It's quite ridiculous number... Xavi outjumping 6'2" defender, was also quite funny if you ask me.

Waiting for both demos now really, but being only PC users, I know what I will get in the end anyway...

mfmaxpower you're doing the same what critics of FIFA do.

You haven't played it either, yet you believe anything press writes about it.

I thought people grew up from being brainwashed by EA. Guess not.

Please. Calling FIFA 14, the new features, the engine, etc., a resounding success would be doing the same (actually, the opposite) as what the critics in here are doing. Maybe you ought to actually read what I wrote. You know, where I said it's possible that these new features will disappoint and that we'd be smart to be apprehensive.

You're right, I haven't played it either, which is why all I've been pointing out is that it's unreasonable to pass final judgement at this point, which so many people seem inclined to do in here.

It's sad that you consider apprehensively optimistic the same as brainwashed.

7 to 1? So, something like a 12 million sales gap between them. And PES sales are 'underestimated'. So, shall we say it's a 10 million gap (which is me being really generous)? Oh, well in that case EA really need to make drastic changes.

You might, MIGHT be missing the point there, chap.
First of all, a 5 million gap might be closer to reality, and secondly, EA's budget is a lot bigger than KONAMI's budget. EA probably spends more on licenses than KONAMI on the entire franchise.

5 million is NOWHERE NEAR the gap between the two. FIFA is on Call of Duty levels. PES is nowhere near half of that.

The second half of your post, about budget, as well as your extreme optimism about PES' sales purely to make the gap seem smaller, tells me you still don't get the point. FIFA, regardless of what we actually think of the game, is selling phenomenally well. It has been in the top 10 in the UK ever since it came out. I'm pretty sure it was number 2 last week - number 2! It's a yearly title and it's 8 months old, yet it's still shifting at a hell of a rate.

The point we were talking about was 'why does PES look so different and FIFA doesn't?'. The answer is because FIFA doesn't need to look different. EA don't need to spend resources building a whole new current gen engine. Their money's guaranteed - they can focus on the next gen. They want to change the gameplay but they also don't want to upset a financially winning formula. PES by contrast is selling pretty poorly. Don't think so? Prove it. Fact is they ARE selling poorly, which is why they need to make bigger changes. In fact the changes they need to make are so big that they can only afford to focus on current gen this year. It's a wise move - both devs will take more money from current gen over the next couple of years than they will from PS4/X1.

5 million is NOWHERE NEAR the gap between the two. FIFA is on Call of Duty levels. PES is nowhere near half of that.

The second half of your post, about budget, as well as your extreme optimism about PES' sales purely to make the gap seem smaller, tells me you still don't get the point. FIFA, regardless of what we actually think of the game, is selling phenomenally well. It has been in the top 10 in the UK ever since it came out. I'm pretty sure it was number 2 last week - number 2! It's a yearly title and it's 8 months old, yet it's still shifting at a hell of a rate.

The point we were talking about was 'why does PES look so different and FIFA doesn't?'. The answer is because FIFA doesn't need to look different. EA don't need to spend resources building a whole new current gen engine. Their money's guaranteed - they can focus on the next gen. They want to change the gameplay but they also don't want to upset a financially winning formula. PES by contrast is selling pretty poorly. Don't think so? Prove it. Fact is they ARE selling poorly, which is why they need to make bigger changes. In fact the changes they need to make are so big that they can only afford to focus on current gen this year. It's a wise move - both devs will take more money from current gen over the next couple of years than they will from PS4/X1.
I agree that EA doesn't need to change much considering their commercial success, but that's a pity for gamers desiring a better football game.
Regarding KONAMI sales figures: http://www.konami.co.jp/en/ir/ir-data/meeting/2013/0207.pdf Slide 7, you're welcome.

I agree that EA doesn't need to change much considering their commercial success, but that's a pity for gamers desiring a better football game.
Regarding KONAMI sales figures: http://www.konami.co.jp/en/ir/ir-data/meeting/2013/0207.pdf Slide 7, you're welcome.

Um, that slide shows PES moving 5.5 million units. FIFA has sold about 15 million. So you just proved rom right - the gap is way more than 5 million, double that actually.

Um, that slide shows PES moving 5.5 million units. FIFA has sold about 15 million. So you just proved rom right - the gap is way more than 5 million, double that actually.
Learn to read, 5.5 million units over the course of 9 months are around 7.5 million units per year, while FIFA 12 is listed on vgchartz.com with 12.5 million units (EA data is way more reliable). This is a gap of 5 million units, q.e.d.

Learn to read, 5.5 million units over the course of 9 months are around 7.5 million units per year, while FIFA 12 is listed on vgchartz.com with 12.5 million units (EA data is way more reliable). This is a gap of 5 million units, q.e.d.

Learn to read? Really? Does that pdf not say 5.5 mil units sold? Your math would only make sense if the games sold at a steady rate from quarter to quarter. They don't.

Anyways, Konami's numbers are not specific to one particular edition, so it's hard to make comparisons. And why they don't include Q4 in their numbers, I don't know.

If you want to use vgchartz stats for FIFA selling 12.5, that site says PES 2012 sold only around 4 mil - 4 times less than FIFA.

Oh, and while PES numbers are fairly stagnant - or actually dropping if we take that pdf you posted - FIFA 13 sold almost 15 mil to date, a 30% increase over FIFA 12 according to EA.http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/07/fifa-13-sales-cross-145-million

I'm not really sure what you're point is though. Even if all these numbers are off a few mil here or there, the fact remains that when it comes to sales, PES offers little competition to FIFA.

Last edited:

Was about to post something more detailed but my post vanished. Anyway...

A quick google shows FIFA 13 reached sales of 14.5 million back at the start of May. 4.5 million in its first 5 days, 10 by end of Oct, 12 by end of 2012.

PES 2013 will probably have reached 6 million by the end of March. 7.5 is way too hopeful. You could maybe say 6.5? But those figures span more than one edition, as Max said, and the last 6 months of PES 2012 will have done better than the last 6 months of 2013, judging by year on year trends (see Konami's total announced sales on psu.com).

So 6-6.5 million, versus 14.5 million (which may be 15 million now given how FIFA is still top 10 in so many charts.

And 14.5 million for FIFA 13 (up 30% on FIFA 12 as max says) is more than Konami's total sales of all titles for the same time. 13.8 million I think that was, down from 18 million.

And I don't want to see another sales figure for at least a year, thank you very much.

I think licences would be one the biggest contributing factors to those sales gaps rather than just the perceived quality of each game. If you say that for every country where their domestic league is only licensed in FIFA and not in PES, you could assume that the majority of people would buy FIFA so they can play with their domestic league as well.

Says nothing about which game is better for what you're looking for in a particular game either. McDonalds sells a lot more hamburgers than the food truck which sells outside my building once a week...but I can tell you which burger I prefer ;)

P.S. I'm not hating on FIFA here, just don't see the need to beat our chests as to which game is better because it sold more units. Play which game you like and wish for your preferred game to get better. Don't worry if every Tom, Dick and Harry also bought the game.

15 : 6 = 2.5 : 1 sales ratio :P

PC players is just unlucky.. since it will not have the same upgrade as the next gen console.. whereas the power of PC as in Next Gen system has been available years before. :RANT:

I think licences would be one the biggest contributing factors to those sales gaps rather than just the perceived quality of each game. If you say that for every country where their domestic league is only licensed in FIFA and not in PES, you could assume that the majority of people would buy FIFA so they can play with their domestic league as well.

Says nothing about which game is better for what you're looking for in a particular game either. McDonalds sells a lot more hamburgers than the food truck which sells outside my building once a week...but I can tell you which burger I prefer ;)

P.S. I'm not hating on FIFA here, just don't see the need to beat our chests as to which game is better because it sold more units. Play which game you like and wish for your preferred game to get better. Don't worry if every Tom, Dick and Harry also bought the game.

I'm sure the licenses are important, and even a deciding factor for some people like Placebo, but let's not forget that FIFA had most of those licenses prior to it becoming the behemoth that it is now.

It's not licenses that drove FIFA from being a poor to subpar title, to the genre's biggest seller. And I can guarantee you that it was not the licenses that got me to switch from PES to FIFA this gen, though they certainly are nice.

As long as they don't sort out the ridiculous AI design of the game in single player (which is the mode I play the most and resorts to stupid boosts and hardcoded behaviors and nullifying any sense of individuality for both players and teams), I couldn't care less about the other improvements.

Even if the make an excellent footplanting implementation, what's the point if later on any player from any team can dribble like messi, is made of steel, react as fast and precise as a T-1000 and can catch up with my fastes strikers?

As long as they don't sort out the ridiculous AI design of the game in single player (which is the mode I play the most and resorts to stupid boosts and hardcoded behaviors and nullifying any sense of individuality for both players and teams), I couldn't care less about the other improvements.

Even if the make an excellent footplanting implementation, what's the point if later on any player from any team can dribble like messi, is made of steel, react as fast and precise as a T-1000 and can catch up with my fastes strikers?

No worries mate :) PES 2014 will save our day :)

PC players is just unlucky.. since it will not have the same upgrade as the next gen console.. whereas the power of PC as in Next Gen system has been available years before. :RANT:

A lot of PC players are unlucky, but from a sales point of view, EA are completely right in holding back FIFA on PC.

The next gen consoles have a 7770(2011 Mid Range Card) inside them in all honesty how many PC's have those specs, unless people use their PC's for gaming certainly not the average family household. Your average family would buy a PC from PC World and pay £600-£700 which in reality that is a shitty PC as the majority have a lower spec GFX card than that.
It will probably be FIFA 16 before the PC has the next gen version, as your family household PC would be more than capable of running the next gen version.

I occasionally play FIFA online on the PC and I know people are playing on a shite machine due to the massive long waits for some games to load.

I personally would rather the PC version the same, but this is EA and they only care about sales + they also don't give a fuck about PC players either.

Was about to post something more detailed but my post vanished. Anyway...

A quick google shows FIFA 13 reached sales of 14.5 million back at the start of May. 4.5 million in its first 5 days, 10 by end of Oct, 12 by end of 2012.

PES 2013 will probably have reached 6 million by the end of March. 7.5 is way too hopeful. You could maybe say 6.5? But those figures span more than one edition, as Max said, and the last 6 months of PES 2012 will have done better than the last 6 months of 2013, judging by year on year trends (see Konami's total announced sales on psu.com).

So 6-6.5 million, versus 14.5 million (which may be 15 million now given how FIFA is still top 10 in so many charts.

And 14.5 million for FIFA 13 (up 30% on FIFA 12 as max says) is more than Konami's total sales of all titles for the same time. 13.8 million I think that was, down from 18 million.

And I don't want to see another sales figure for at least a year, thank you very much.
I agree, it's very hard to give a good estimate of the real sales figures without actually working for EA or KONAMI. I additionally found out that FIFA 12 had sold 10 million copies 5 months after launch (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/334217/fifa-12-battlefield-3-pass-10-million-sales/), I'm not quite sure how good old FIFA or PES titles sell in comparison...
Anyway, the sales ratio is probably between 3:1 and 2:1. Whenever EA claims that FIFA outsold PES by a factor of 25:1 like 2 years ago, you can be absolutely sure that it's marketing bullshit.

EA guys are a laughing stock already.

They said that only 2% of PCs could run X360/PS3 version of the game (when FIFA 10 was released btw).

That was A MASSIVE lie. When FIFA 11 came out, I decided to try it out on Pentium Dual Core 2160 (o/c to 2.5GHz), 2GB of RAM and Nvidia 7900GS (hardly a top notch card). You know? The game was very playable on high detail and 4x AA. Smooth.

That Ignite engine doesn't even look half bit spectacular. Unless they did real time physics/AI engine, mixed with dynamic weather and how ground physics change when it snows/rains, wind calculations, different crowds behavior and whatnot, I won't believe it's powerful enough to bog down even mid-range PCs.

The only fact I can see why new engine won't make it here again is... Exclusive deal for new gen consoles. Make something, so people will buy our consoles. Presto. FIFA is hot selling stuff, the headless chickens will definitely buy console + FIFA bundle.

Pure win.

I'm not sure why they'd lie. They could've avoided this whole discussion by saying they didn't have time to do both next gen and PC's and they prioritized next gen first.

Hell, they probably would've had less backlash if they announced an exclusive deal with next gen than insult the pc community by challenging their cherished specs.

A lot of PC players are unlucky, but from a sales point of view, EA are completely right in holding back FIFA on PC.

The next gen consoles have a 7770(2011 Mid Range Card) inside them in all honesty how many PC's have those specs, unless people use their PC's for gaming certainly not the average family household. Your average family would buy a PC from PC World and pay £600-£700 which in reality that is a shitty PC as the majority have a lower spec GFX card than that.
It will probably be FIFA 16 before the PC has the next gen version, as your family household PC would be more than capable of running the next gen version.

I occasionally play FIFA online on the PC and I know people are playing on a shite machine due to the massive long waits for some games to load.

I personally would rather the PC version the same, but this is EA and they only care about sales + they also don't give a fuck about PC players either.

I wanna say "So what ? ". Not having the equivalent gfx card of the next gen consoles doesn't the computer will not be able to run the same games.PCs give their users so much possibilities in terms of adjustments that a lot of games (even the most demanding ones from a graphical POV) can be played.FIFA 14 and its ignite engine hasn't looked anything specially demanding to me.

Last edited:

A fun fact for you lot then. Microsoft Xbox One @E3. There was quite a ruckus about one photo...

xbox-one-pecet_175pr.jpg

xbox-one-hp_175pr.jpg

I will leave it to your imagination...

I will just say, Xbox One games can be played on PC (though it's Microsoft who MADE the emulation possible - so I doubt such thing will ever come to end users :P).

Wow, that's outrageous! Have you posted this anywhere else yet? I don't think anyone's seen it.

It is odd that they don't use the next gen game on pc. Are they afraid of the modders or that it will cut sales from the console versions or what?

I wanna say "So what ? ". Not having the equivalent gfx card of the next gen consoles doesn't the computer will not be able to run the same games.PCs give their users so much possibilities in terms of adjustments that a lot of games (even the most demanding ones from a graphical POV) can be played.FIFA 14 and its ignite engine hasn't looked anything specially demanding to me.

Depends what you call running....

I was just trying to explain EA's reasoning for not releasing it on PC, as I would only say about 5-10% of PC's are the equivalent of the next gen consoles. So why make a game for 5% of people, when you can make a game which 90% of PC owners can play.

It isn't just the GFX card, it is the amount of RAM, power of processor. I just used the GFX card as a simple example. I could get incredibly geeky over why it won't get released on PC.

Back
Top Bottom