Fifa 14 Career Mode discussions

Okay, another question: if I'm between the Winter/Summer windows, and a player is in the final months of his contract, will I have a chance to buy him before he renegotiates with his club, or do they automatically extend their contracts prior to the transfer window opening?

I'm assuming they automatically extend before I can sign them myself, yeah?

Unfortunately they always auto-sign so they're never released on a free, a lot of them only sign 1 year extensions so you can get them on a pre-contract the following year which I guess is better than nothing :)

Regarding CM matches v Exhibition matches, the answer is simple, don't play exhibition matches, I don't and thus I have no complaints about CM matches :)

I'm not going mad am I? Career mode is a different game to friendlies and UT isnt it?

Deciding who to be in career mode and settled on Newcastle. Played a few friendlies to get used to them before going into CM and the games were really good - fast, end to end, good build up etc.

Start the career mode and suddenly its a trudge again. Players running in mud. Cant get any skills off (before, in friendlies, HBA is able to do lots of tricks, in CM, nothing - button lag renders him useless).

Opponents seem to be able to always get the ball first, 50/50s bounce and roll oddly to opponents, seemingly normal short passes that I can make no problem outside of CM, roll to opponents.

Becomes such a slog in midfield and really starting to grate.

So.... is it just me, or is this what happens for everyone? I used to dismiss the people that went on about it as I usually played as lower league teams and just accepted the slog and dull games were because of the skill level of the other players, but its affecting the very top leagues?

Pretty pissed off if so as I love manager mode and buying/selling etc.
Yeah, I'm getting the same as Fiorentina in Serie A. The game barely "flows" and most matches end up in a midfield stalemate.

Yeah, I'm getting the same as Fiorentina in Serie A. The game barely "flows" and most matches end up in a midfield stalemate.

Without a shadow of a doubt, there's something going on in CM matches that doesn't happen with Exhibition matches. The former feel somehow 'artificial', whereas the latter are sublime. Whatever weird change EA make between the two, I hope the PC modders can identify and remove it. Fifa 14's Exhibition matches are without a doubt some of the best football matches I've ever played.

Regarding CM matches v Exhibition matches, the answer is simple, don't play exhibition matches, I don't and thus I have no complaints about CM matches

That only really works if you've never played an Exhibition match - anyone who has will notice the difference and won't be happy. I can't put my finger on it, but something EA have done to the CM matches makes them worse than the Exhibition ones. They're not terrible by any stretch - they're still very good, but they don't reach the heights of the Exhibition matches.

Without a shadow of a doubt, there's something going on in CM matches that doesn't happen with Exhibition matches. The former feel somehow 'artificial', whereas the latter are sublime. Whatever weird change EA make between the two, I hope the PC modders can identify and remove it. Fifa 14's Exhibition matches are without a doubt some of the best football matches I've ever played.

That only really works if you've never played an Exhibition match - anyone who has will notice the difference and won't be happy. I can't put my finger on it, but something EA have done to the CM matches makes them worse than the Exhibition ones. They're not terrible by any stretch - they're still very good, but they don't reach the heights of the Exhibition matches.

I've played plenty of exhibition matches, and UT matches, and I'm happy with CM matches. I don't think they're worse by any means, just different because of the various boosts that CM uses to simulate morale, form, etc and the ups-and-downs of a real football season. It can be a real bitch at times, but ain't that realistic?

Yeah it can be a frustrating and unpredictable experience, but I don't know what "heights" you're seeing in exhibition that doesn't happen in CM. If you don't want the unpredictability and various influences of form, etc, then you ought to try tournament mode, which allows you to play a season worth of exhibition matches without all the added features of CM.

I would be absolutely devastated if CM matches didn't include team form, player form, away team bias etc in terms of how they actually play. There's no greater feeling than ending a bad run of form where your players have struggled to string two passes together by scraping a last minute winner that's mishit and deflects in off someone's arse, that is football.

I do think CM could do a better job of letting you know what's going. Press conferences, for example, are a mystery as to how they work. It's fine that they want some mystery and unpredictability, but it just feels too random and vague for my tastes. Managers in real life have someidea of what works and what doesn't.

They could also do more with commentary: "clearly they've been affected by their manager's comments"; "he's really on a bad run of form"; "his contract dispute is obviously on his mind"; "they're really struggling away from home"; etc.

@Placebo - I get what you're going for, but honestly it's almost like playing a different version of FIFA in CM. And not a good thing, like playing FIFA 2011 when everyone else is playing FIFA 2014.

So many of the subtleties are lost because the CM 'changes'. It really is a magnificent representation of football in exhibition mode, but CM mode feels like 'normal' being played in mud.

Subtleties such as?

The list is long, but a few:

Teammate reactions and runs
Ability to tackle instead of always 'shepparding'
First touches
Reactive goals (like first time shots/headers)
Beating players with just little shimmies
Shots going where you want them (instead of right at keeper)

Seriously, I can't say enough about the difference between the two modes. It really is like night and day.

Most CM matches I seriously struggle to score, and it's a midfield slog often with a huge disparity in shots for/against but the CPU 'nicking it' with an unstoppable goal. In exhibition mode I create chances, finish chances and games are more open and entertaining.

If you don't want the unpredictability and various influences of form, etc, then you ought to try tournament mode, which allows you to play a season worth of exhibition matches without all the added features of CM.

That's the only problem there.

Edit: Placebo - I'm going to give CM another go, with your World Class sliders. Last year I had to mess around with sliders as well to get a good balance in CM, so I guess this year's no different.

That's the only problem there.

Edit: Placebo - I'm going to give CM another go, with your World Class sliders. Last year I had to mess around with sliders as well to get a good balance in CM, so I guess this year's no different.

I don't get it then. You do want added features of CM, but just none that affect gameplay?

I'm with Placebo: I definitely want things like form, morale, player stories, etc. to matter. I want CM to simulate the variety and unpredictability, and up-and-down nature of real world football.

CM can definitely be a frustrating beast though. I just finished my first season as Djurgardens in League One, and it ended up almost a disaster and I almost chose to restart a new CM. At the winter transfer window I was leading the league, and had a striker with 20 goals. I was actually thinking of tweaking sliders to increase the difficulty.

I didn't make changes but my spring form was a disaster to put it mildly. My defense leaked goals and my 20 goal striker only scored 8 in the second half of the season. The board were constantly after me, and after barely making it into the final playoff spot, I lost 6-2 on aggregate. I'm actually shocked that I wasn't fired.

The last month or so of games were miserable. It was almost like playing a different game, and it took all the willpower to not drop it down to World Class or make things easier through sliders. I'm still not entirely sure whether it was me that was on bad form, my players, the game fucking with me, or a combination.

Anyways, I haven't but I came really close to abandoning this CM, as I'd had my heart set on promotion to the Championship and the season's end left me with a bitter taste. Still, how many times do we see a top team go on a terrible run of form, or the opposite, to end a season?

Pre-contracts are a steal, maybe even a cheat. In my Southampton career I signed couple of players on pre-contract and I can easily sell them for 20 mil (hunt 9 mil, andre 4 mil etc).

Also, am I the only one who has never lost a penalty shootout with CPU team? In fifa 12/13/14 I had around 20 penalty shootouts in cups etc and I have won them all.

Well I wouldn't say they're a cheat, after all we could say it's a cheat that the game is clearly rigged never to allow a decent player's contract to expire completely so they're available on a free at the start of the next season.

I've lost shootouts in the past, so you've either been lucky or good ;)

One thing I noticed about penalties last year - and it still happens this year - is that the meter moves so slowly, only an idiot could actually miss the penalty. Anyone else find that? Surely even with a decent player, there should be some chance of actually missing?

Pre-contracts are a steal, maybe even a cheat. In my Southampton career I signed couple of players on pre-contract and I can easily sell them for 20 mil (hunt 9 mil, andre 4 mil etc).

Also, am I the only one who has never lost a penalty shootout with CPU team? In fifa 12/13/14 I had around 20 penalty shootouts in cups etc and I have won them all.

I agree with you, but like Placebo pointed out there are other aspects that go the other way, so I guess it kinda balances out and you gotta take what you can get.

For example I just brought in two pre-contract players who are nice upgrades (which I kinda forgot about so it was a nice surprise when they joined!), but on the other hand the board has given me hardly any funds to be competitive while I have a squad of only around 20.

Regarding shoutouts, what difficulty are you playing on? I find there's massive differences based on difficulty level.

I don't get it then. You do want added features of CM, but just none that affect gameplay?

I'm with Placebo: I definitely want things like form, morale, player stories, etc. to matter. I want CM to simulate the variety and unpredictability, and up-and-down nature of real world football.

CM can definitely be a frustrating beast though. I just finished my first season as Djurgardens in League One, and it ended up almost a disaster and I almost chose to restart a new CM. At the winter transfer window I was leading the league, and had a striker with 20 goals. I was actually thinking of tweaking sliders to increase the difficulty.

I didn't make changes but my spring form was a disaster to put it mildly. My defense leaked goals and my 20 goal striker only scored 8 in the second half of the season. The board were constantly after me, and after barely making it into the final playoff spot, I lost 6-2 on aggregate. I'm actually shocked that I wasn't fired.

The last month or so of games were miserable. It was almost like playing a different game, and it took all the willpower to not drop it down to World Class or make things easier through sliders. I'm still not entirely sure whether it was me that was on bad form, my players, the game fucking with me, or a combination.

Anyways, I haven't but I came really close to abandoning this CM, as I'd had my heart set on promotion to the Championship and the season's end left me with a bitter taste. Still, how many times do we see a top team go on a terrible run of form, or the opposite, to end a season?

Don't quit or abandon that CM! Don't lower the difficulty!

To me, it sounds like you have the perfect balance of difficulty and skill. Although I don't have FIFA14 (waiting on next gen) I'm going to assume that still (like every manager/franchise mode ever made) the player controlled team has the biggest advantage when it comes to building a team. So I'm going to assume that your CM team is full of the type of players you want (or is at least getting there with each transfer window) and you are definitely building a superior team compared to all other League One teams.

So, if you have the top team, you should get promoted, right? That's what's realistic? Well no, as you stated it happens in real life so not getting promoted doesn't mean the game is broken. And the manner in which you lost promotion is awesome. You know you are capable of finishing first, you only didn't because you didn't play your best (or had injuries to key players, or something).... But the point is, you get to go back and try again. The game is still a fair challenge for you.

As long as the game remains a fair challenge, it's interesting. As soon as it becomes too easy (or if you start cheating by replaying games or quitting losses in order to win the league) then your FIFA enjoyment comes to an end. I've given up any cheating a long time ago, and I restrict my budget through team selection to keep the game as challenging as possible for as long as I can. Keep that difficulty up... tinker with your formation and tactics when things get stale (way fun for me)... buy better players. Do what you can to win, and hope that it never gets too easy. Because when it's too easy, there is no satisfaction.

I'm with Cagliari and I've done the financial takeover thing. In my first season I managed to pre-sign Rode (cmv) and Bartra (cb). I had about six or seven million euros left and remembered the bug where all that money is not added up to your budget for the next season, so I decided to do that thing where you give all your remaining budget to some deadwood player in the form of wages (took me three offers before he accepted, he didn't just take the 180,000 euros per week... No, he first wanted to know what his role was gonna be in the squad and he did not want a three year contract extension, but only one). Anyway, at the start of the second year I traded him for another deadwood player and as a result I got my funds back.

However, it turned out that the board had not fallen for my little trick, since it turned out my initial budget for my second year was only 4 million, because I had spent so much money the year before! Before I remembered the "bug", which may not be a bug at all, I had already advanced to season 2 without performing the trick and then my second season budget was 12 million! So in reality I had been punished for trying to deceive the board, I guess.

That's not all. In strengthening my squad I had once again spent all my money, but I needed some more to buy a RB I needed. So I thought, why not ask the board for some money. At first I rather boldly asked for 10 million and after they refused I tried again with 5 million and even 1 million, which was really all I needed. They turned me down everytime, because I had spent too much already and because my achievements were not good enough (finished sixth). So I decided to settle for Diekmeier instead of Montoya for RB.

And then out of nowhere (sort of, he had been "suggested" to me earlier, among others) the club had purchased CB Juan Jesus from Inter, for like 15 million, because they were concerned about the lack of depth in my defence. I guess pre-signings don't interfere with those storylines, since I had already signed Bartra. Now I suddenly had 6 CB's who were all first team or back-up worthy, with three of them having 80+ overalls. I'm curious if it would have cost me my budget if I had had anything left, but since my money was already all but gone, I guess I'll never know.

All in all a pretty weird transfer period. Sort of like it though. I have however completely abandoned the ridiculous GTN and decided to "scout" everybody online at SoFifa. The only thing I don't like at all about SoFifa is that you can see potentials. I really don't want to know potentials of player, but it's almost impossible to miss them, since they're staring you right in the face.

I picked career at SSC Napoli.

Started off good in league with 2 wins out of 2 games, but then... CL happened vs Arsenal away first game. Lost 1-0 after shoddy penalty decision (truth be told, Szczesny saved my penalty, bastard :P).

However, game still SUFFERS from condensed schedule time frame!!!! I have like 3 games in next 5 days. Ridiculous!!! Thought EA would have sorted that shit out by now -.-.

Takes a lot of fun from the game (especially if such nonsense happens in September... Not end of year).

All in all a pretty weird transfer period. Sort of like it though. I have however completely abandoned the ridiculous GTN and decided to "scout" everybody online at SoFifa. The only thing I don't like at all about SoFifa is that you can see potentials. I really don't want to know potentials of player, but it's almost impossible to miss them, since they're staring you right in the face.

Personally I like seeing potentials, and even wish we could see them in the game (as an estimate range) since it's realistic to expect a manager to have a guess as to whether a player has room to improve or not. In the real world, gauging a young recruit's potential is such a big part of a club's scouting process, I'm pretty disappointed that it's not included with the new scouting system.

Still, I wouldn't worry about it much as they're definitely not a guarantee. For example:

* I've got a striker who according to SOFIFA only has a potential three OVRs higher than what he starts at; he scored 28 goals in the first season and grew 3 already; can't know for sure but I'd be shocked if his growth is completely over;

* I've got a player with a potential growth of 13 but he hasn't grown at all; I think he's got a couple +1s next to some specific attributes but that's it.

Regarding shoutouts, what difficulty are you playing on? I find there's massive differences based on difficulty level.

Fifa 12&13 only legendary, 14 mostly legendary.
I have seen one good tutorial for PK and I have never lost since;
Press shoot around 1/3, wait around 0.3 sec and move cursor to upper left/right corner. Do not let go of the cursor until the player shoots. By using this tip, you will never shoot outside of the goal (only gk can save the shot). So it goes like this:
Gk saves 20% of my shot
0% of my shots miss the goal
I score 80% of shots

I save 20% of AI shots (staying in the middle is good enough)
10% (or more) of AI shots go wide
AI scores 70% of shots

I win every time

I have started my 2nd season with Southampton and after two matches I am starting to dislike the game: I have played one vs lowly Watford and 2nd vs lowly wisla krakow. In both matches AI played the same; defensive tika-taka where they would make hundreds of short passes in defense or midfield with 90% pass accuracy and I couldn't do anything about it. They had 60% ball possession at the end with 0 shots on my goal. Both matches ended 0:0.
I even tried 80% pass error for AI in 2nd half but that didn't help.

Silly.

Me neither. Would love for more matches with CPU possession near 60%. And with FIFA 14, playing on Legendary, I find it more likely for matches to end 2-2 than 0-0.

Hi guys, sorry if it's already been answered somewhere on these pages, but how can i get a player on loan?

I have done my searches, looking at young strikers from Arsenal, Tottenham, and Liverpool. All are up for loan, i have scouted them, made an enquiry. Now what? I cannot see an option to get them for a loan.

I have started my 2nd season with Southampton and after two matches I am starting to dislike the game: I have played one vs lowly Watford and 2nd vs lowly wisla krakow. In both matches AI played the same; defensive tika-taka where they would make hundreds of short passes in defense or midfield with 90% pass accuracy and I couldn't do anything about it. They had 60% ball possession at the end with 0 shots on my goal. Both matches ended 0:0.
I even tried 80% pass error for AI in 2nd half but that didn't help.

Silly.

The sliders really make a difference. I started with Placebo's but i was finding it a little slow (a ps2 PES player you see) as if all the players were running in gunk. But slight changes have made a big difference. I am starting to enjoy it again.

I think changes like increasing Run Frequency has made a difference. That way the players get into good positions. The only thing with sliders is that i find i am making changes with them rather than making the changes in the dressing room.

Like..
'get tighter!!
'push up!!'
'play wide!!'

Help!!! I just can't start the Career Mode. I wanted to start off at FL2 with Portsmouth. After 1 friendly game (even winning) I will receive an email informing that the contract has been terminated. I have tried so many times with different teams. Even started to pick 1 team from FL1 , the result is the same, will get terminated after 1 friendly game. I read all the emails, picked the scouts but to no avail. Is there anything that I have missed. Appreciate someone can advise. Thank You.

Hi guys, sorry if it's already been answered somewhere on these pages, but how can i get a player on loan?

I have done my searches, looking at young strikers from Arsenal, Tottenham, and Liverpool. All are up for loan, i have scouted them, made an enquiry. Now what? I cannot see an option to get them for a loan.

Are you in a current transfer window? Have you disabled transfers for the first window?

Help!!! I just can't start the Career Mode. I wanted to start off at FL2 with Portsmouth. After 1 friendly game (even winning) I will receive an email informing that the contract has been terminated. I have tried so many times with different teams. Even started to pick 1 team from FL1 , the result is the same, will get terminated after 1 friendly game. I read all the emails, picked the scouts but to no avail. Is there anything that I have missed. Appreciate someone can advise. Thank You.

That is very weird, are you on the PC version? Is it a legal, retail version of the game?

Back
Top Bottom