Fifa 14 Career Mode discussions

I see. Thanks. It is really annoying that this game comes without any manual so you have to discover by yourself (for example, I guess that most players do not know is remaining transfer budget from current season transferred to next, what does prolific mean for scouting, pre-contracts, etc. ).

Btw in my Southampton career I was loosing 2:0 to Bolton in FA cup and out of frustration I switched to full-attack, team pressure etc and I started playing full pressure like those cheaters who play online and pressure opponents to submission with such unrealistic cheaty tactics. Most important part of that tactic is to run (with 2+players) into opponent with the ball and steal the ball from him. Well, that tactics worked and I won 2:3.
My point is that by using such tactics, fifa shows its dark side because players have too much stamina and you can run and pressure all the time. More importantly, collision and tackling system fails (usually no fouls are called when you run full speed directly into player with the ball).
Those who have played online know what I'm talking about.

Couldn't agree more and I think you highlighted FIFA's biggest gameplay weakness - it's amazing how long and how effective you can hold down sprint in this game. It's far too effective a tactic to select a pacey player when defending and run around like a headless chicken until you can intercept the ball, knick it from behind, or knock a dribbler off the ball.

You should post in the feedback thread on the official forums. We need as many people as possible singling out FIFA's lack of stamina impact so that EA get the message.

I'm looking to start a new lower league CM. Anyone have recommendations for a 1-2 star team that's fun to play with?

Couldn't agree more and I think you highlighted FIFA's biggest gameplay weakness - it's amazing how long and how effective you can hold down sprint in this game. It's far too effective a tactic to select a pacey player when defending and run around like a headless chicken until you can intercept the ball, knick it from behind, or knock a dribbler off the ball.

You should post in the feedback thread on the official forums. We need as many people as possible singling out FIFA's lack of stamina impact so that EA get the message.

I thought this game was supposed to address the problem of holding sprint down all the time?

As for stamina, EA forums have been demanding change in that area for years and nothing has happened, so I don't think anything will change now.

Once your players are match fit they can pretty much all play 90 minutes, stamina is the worst it's ever been unfortunately. It does seem to be affected by the score, so if you want to see your players much more tired make sure you lose every match ;)

I thought this game was supposed to address the problem of holding sprint down all the time?

For some reason it seems like the stamina bar decreases a lot quicker when you sprint with the ball than without it. When defending you can basically select a player and run around forever with him. It's terrible.

As for stamina, EA forums have been demanding change in that area for years and nothing has happened, so I don't think anything will change now.

Well that's a pretty shitty way to look at things.

We demanded change to momentum and we got it (finally). We demanded change to defending and we got it with tactical defending. We demanded change to first touch and we got that. We demanded change to attacking AI and we got that.

EA listen, they just don't always change things when we want them to and exactly how we want them to.

The stamina/sprint/run into everyone tactic is murder in pro clubs. With an any on the opposite team, and the way first touch works now (speed) you have people just running around literally running directly into you, up and down the field.

Anyone tried Player Career yet?

I did briefly just to see what if anything is different from last year and I noticed the player objectives have been somewhat improved and make more sense now.

I'm gonna start a proper one soon.

Do you play this mode? You and I seem to be in the minority.

I did briefly just to see what if anything is different from last year and I noticed the player objectives have been somewhat improved and make more sense now.

I'm gonna start a proper one soon.

Do you play this mode? You and I seem to be in the minority.

I've dipped into it from time to time, but it hasn't got enough meat on its bones for me to play it that much - at least that's how it seems until now.

Definitely some issues with pre-contracts in terms of players signing for clubs they'd never sign for, January 2014 and if I could have raised the cash I would have had Oscar and Bojan playing for me next season as both were happy to sign for a Championship team as long as I matched their current wages! Whereas Abdisalam Ibrahim of Man City needed an extra 15k on top of his 40k to drop down a division (despite the fact he never plays for Man City!).

There is definitely something going on with CM matches compared to Exhibition - I've been playing Manchester Derbies all afternoon again and the matches have been very close. I started a new career, had Ausburg or someone as my first opponent and they were 3-0 up by half time.

Whatever this CM boosting is, I want it gone. To have CM matches playing like Exhibition ones would make Fifa 14 amazing. I stated a while back it's the best football game ever - I stand by that, but only for Exhibition matches. EA do 'something' to the AI for CM matches and I really don't know why. Surely they must test the game's Exhibition matches and notice that's how CM matches should be?

Definitely some issues with pre-contracts in terms of players signing for clubs they'd never sign for, January 2014 and if I could have raised the cash I would have had Oscar and Bojan playing for me next season as both were happy to sign for a Championship team as long as I matched their current wages! Whereas Abdisalam Ibrahim of Man City needed an extra 15k on top of his 40k to drop down a division (despite the fact he never plays for Man City!).

In general it's still a bit easy to get players to join your club who in real life would laugh in your face. I'm in the English 3rd division and I just signed a young fullback from Lyon with high potential (yes I checked him out online because I hate the GSN and want to be sure I'm actually upgrading the position).

I think the strange thing about them adding the new GSN is that people are saying it's meant to make upgrading your squad harder, but really IMO if they wanted to make CM more difficult, and more realistic, they should've just focused on making transfers more realistic.

There is definitely something going on with CM matches compared to Exhibition - I've been playing Manchester Derbies all afternoon again and the matches have been very close. I started a new career, had Ausburg or someone as my first opponent and they were 3-0 up by half time.

Whatever this CM boosting is, I want it gone. To have CM matches playing like Exhibition ones would make Fifa 14 amazing. I stated a while back it's the best football game ever - I stand by that, but only for Exhibition matches. EA do 'something' to the AI for CM matches and I really don't know why. Surely they must test the game's Exhibition matches and notice that's how CM matches should be?

CM is meant to be a different experience from just playing exhibition matches, simulating the ups and downs of real life. So games are impacted by player morale, form, player stories, press conferences.

Personally I want these things to matter, I just wish the system was a bit better at conveying what's going on. For example, I dislike that the impact of press conferences is hidden from you. Maybe if we had a better idea of what's going on, it'd be less frustrating at times.

If you're interested in just playing a season of exhibition matches, you should try tournament mode, which lets you do just that.

CM is meant to be a different experience from just playing exhibition matches, simulating the ups and downs of real life. So games are impacted by player morale, form, player stories, press conferences.

Personally I want these things to matter, I just wish the system was a bit better at conveying what's going on. For example, I dislike that the impact of press conferences is hidden from you. Maybe if we had a better idea of what's going on, it'd be less frustrating at times.

If you're interested in just playing a season of exhibition matches, you should try tournament mode, which lets you do just that.

Yes, but should I be getting thrashed by Ausburg when I can live with Man City in Exhibition?

Isn't one of the joys of sport that you never really know what's going to happen? As a Man Utd fan I'd expect you'd understand how unpredictable football can be considering their recent performances.

Yeah maybe you were expecting to win and got too cocky and not concentrating enough when playing them, it happens to Arsenal all of the time :PP

zRr6laW.jpg

I was just about to post about scheduling! It's pretty awful if you stay in all the cups. I'm still in the FA Cup and Champions League and even with a very deep squad I'm at the point where no one but my youth players are ever fully fit. Multiple stretches of 4 games in 8 days. The most annoying is when I have a Champions League game on a Tuesday and then inexplicably have a league game on Thursday.

Cheltenham, of course!

I've just started with Torquay (nice kit I'm actually from Wigan lol) anyway loving it top half of table and just knocked Birmingham out of cup in 2nd round ..the game is so immersive , stats really matter and also seeing a number of fouls ..even got dragged back by last man in one game ..straight red ..nice

Too late! I decided to take Swedish team Djurgardens into England's third tier. I have a strange issue in that I specifically seek out teams that have kits with dark colored socks. For some reason, they "feel" better to me, almost like they give an illusion of added weight to the players. This isn't an issue for me PES, just FIFA. Go figure.

So basically I choose my CM teams entirely on whether I like their kits, and then I go from there. So I LOVE being able to swap out teams in CM now - such a great addition. Djurgardens is just okay, and there's a lot of better kits out there, but they're only two stars so they fit perfectly into League One. In the future I'll probably take a team and swap out players to make them work in the lower leagues.

One thing that I'm finding rather strange to me is how much smaller the players in the lower leagues tend to be compared to higher rated squads/players. Is this realistic or is it something FIFA does to penalize lower rated players?

For example, I just brought in Man Utd's Januzaj on loan and compared to everyone else in League One he's massive! It looks so odd. I've never really watched much lower league football but when I've seen lower league teams go up against Prem teams in the cup competitions, I've never noticed their being a big size difference between the players. In FIFA it feels like men vs boys.

Speaking of Januzaj, he's a great example of how EA really screwed up by focusing on the GSN and hiding player attribute information and OVRs to make squad building more difficult and supposedly more realistic. In CM, I can't see anything about him (I didn't bother scouting him) but I was able to easily bring him into my squad. In reality, everyone knows about him and that he's a potential star but a League One team would never be able to convince him to join their team.

IMO EA should've focused on improving our ability to analyze and compare player attribute stats and then also make transfers more difficult. Instead, CM is totally backwards. But whatever, that's why sites like SoFIFA are helpful.

Last edited:
Just started my Arsenal career, these are my results so far. Koscielny is a beast in career mode, wins every header, wins every tackle and scores. He was man of the match for over half of my games with an average of 8.8.

Preseason

Arsenal FC - Eintracht Frankfurt 1:1
0:1 Kadlec (19.)
1:1 Ramsey (77.)

AS Monaco - Arsenal FC 1:1
0:1 Özil (16.)
1:1 Isimat-Mirin (23.)

Arsenal FC - PSG 1:1
0:1 Mertesacker (36./Own goal)
1:1 Giroud (45.)

Premier League

Arsenal FC - Aston Villa 1:2
0:1 Benteke (7.)
1:1 Clark (61./Own goal)
1:2 Benteke (90.+2)

Fulham FC - Arsenal FC 1:1
0:1 Wilshere (28.)
1:1 Berbatov (64.)

Arsenal FC - Tottenham Hotspur 2:5
1:0 Wilshere (10.)
2:0 Giroud (25.)
2:1 Koscielny (38./Own goal)
2:2 Soldado (41.)
2:3 Paulinho (45.)
2:4 Eriksen (58.)
2:5 Dembele (90.+3)

Sunderland AFC - Arsenal FC 1:2
0:1 Koscielny (28.)
0:2 Bendtner (44.)
1:2 Fletcher (73.)

Champions League

Arsenal FC - SSC Napoli 2:0
1:0 Giroud (27.)
2:0 Giroud (44.)

Premier League

Arsenal FC - Stoke City 2:0
1:0 Koscielny (22.)
2:0 Özil (71.)

Capital One Cup

Arsenal FC - Aston Villa 1:0
1:0 Vermaelen (31.)

They do? I've known about him for about two weeks!

But you do know about him!

That's kinda what I meant anyways - since the Sunderland game he's gotten ridiculous media coverage, as if he's gonna be the Man Utd's (and England's!! lol) savior.

But my point anyways is that it's still too easy to upgrade your squad with high potential players, and that the problem's got nothing to do with access to stats. In reality it's the other way around from what it's now like in CM - information is everywhere but acting on that information is the difficult part.

Fifa 14 starts in June 2013 so the match against Sunderland hasn't actually happened, nor has he had the pre-season matches where he did well, so he should only be some young kid with a funny name in Fifa14 ;)

Last season Ross Barclay was on loan at Wednesday and did pretty well, then went to Leeds and they sent him back early because he wasn't playing for them, this season he's running Everton's midfield and being called up to the England squad, he's someone who has been a known name for many years as someone with high potential but it happened that he went out on loan to the lower leagues, so I don't think it's unheard of for an 18 year old nobody knows about at ManUtd (in Fifa14's timeline) to go to a League2 team, in fact what is his potential as of a couple of weeks ago in game? Presumably it will of course be ramped up a bit now based on the last week or so...

Fifa 14 starts in June 2013 so the match against Sunderland hasn't actually happened, nor has he had the pre-season matches where he did well, so he should only be some young kid with a funny name in Fifa14 ;)

Last season Ross Barclay was on loan at Wednesday and did pretty well, then went to Leeds and they sent him back early because he wasn't playing for them, this season he's running Everton's midfield and being called up to the England squad, he's someone who has been a known name for many years as someone with high potential but it happened that he went out on loan to the lower leagues, so I don't think it's unheard of for an 18 year old nobody knows about at ManUtd (in Fifa14's timeline) to go to a League2 team, in fact what is his potential as of a couple of weeks ago in game? Presumably it will of course be ramped up a bit now based on the last week or so...

Ooh, nice counter...although Januzaj was one of Utd's best performers in pre-season, so...

But I kinda knew Januzaj wasn't the best example, and really the problem is more with buying players than with loans.

For example, in my Djurgardens CM I just bought two youngsters with high potentials - Mehdi Zeffane from Lyon and Gustav Wikheim from some Norwegian team. Now I don't know how the Norwegian league compares to Englands' third, but surely a young player at Lyon shouldn't be so easy to pick up?

In all honesty though, I don't think making transfers more difficult needed but a few tweaks. My bigger point really is just that that's how I would've gone about making things more difficult rather than introducing a fog-of-war mechanic to evaluating players.

(Or by further working on player growth - both players I mentioned above have gone up by 1 OVR after playing just three games.)

I dont know if it is unrealistic. When I started my Sheffield united career (League1) in fifa13, I already had one youngster loaned from mighty Mutd. That was a real life-loan (not done by me).
Januzaj would be too much but it is not impossible in real life to loan a good youngster from major team.

Back
Top Bottom