Fifa 14 Career Mode discussions

Yeah we put that whiny bitch in his place ;)

Sheffield Wednesday player forced to retire due to catastrophic spinal injury suffered during a match :(

FFA14XBX_0_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_TeN.jpg
FFA14XBX_1_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_gXS.jpg
FFA14XBX_2_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_Ebr.jpg

Last edited:
Some unusual minor problems in my cm: 10 matches until the end of the season and everton is in 1st position despite them playing with Joel as Gk (howard is not injured), Duffy as CB and Lukaku is benched too.
Also, RVP scored only 4goals in 25 matches he has played.

Started a CM with Wigan.

Have brought in Llori, Luis Alberto and Ibe from LFC on loan.
That bloke who scored 2 for Utd v Sunderland the other week on loan.
Bought Kevin Doyle and Thomas Ince.
Nearly signed Jordan Rhodes but ran out of time. Ill be back in Jan.
Sold a lot of poor players.
The board sold Al Habsi to Spurs for £1.9m without my say so!
Think Ive played about 9 won 5 d1 l2.

Im playing 8 mins each half and having a blast.
Ince scored two crackers on his debut.

Started a CM with Wigan.

Have brought in Llori, Luis Alberto and Ibe from LFC on loan.
That bloke who scored 2 for Utd v Sunderland the other week on loan.
Bought Kevin Doyle and Thomas Ince.
Nearly signed Jordan Rhodes but ran out of time. Ill be back in Jan.
Sold a lot of poor players.
The board sold Al Habsi to Spurs for £1.9m without my say so!
Think Ive played about 9 won 5 d1 l2.

Im playing 8 mins each half and having a blast.
Ince scored two crackers on his debut.

Couldnt play like that tbf - no way would Wigan sign Ince or Januaz (however its spelt!)

Always try to keep my teams realistic?!

I think I'm done with Career Mode for lower league clubs. Its just such a slog and taints the whole FIFA gameplay experience I think.

I'm Notts County and every game is either 0-0 or 1-0/0-1. Boring as hell and a drag to play. Seems I've found out in the last game, that you HAVE to do press conferences to get anything out of your players. I'm in November now and every game has been like running through mud. The decent skilled players have a second delay doing any sort of skill move, cant beat a man and most passes go off target.... do a press conference to 'motivate' my side and all of a sudden they are like 25% more responsive.

I know thats kinda realistic, but also, its not. Whats the point of having to 'motivate' the players each week to get a decent FIFA match? Just silly really.

I'm gonna try one with Chelsea, see how that goes - if that sucks too thanks to bent AI in CM, then I'll just stick to friendlies and mainly UT.

Last edited:
Couldnt play like that tbf - no way would Wigan sign Ince or Januaz (however its spelt!)

Always try to keep my teams realistic?!

Doesn't Ince play for Blackpool in the Championship? so are Wigan? Is it that far fetched?

Januaz (I'm spelling it like you :PP )it could have been more realistic if he didn't play as well as he has recently and you are getting him on loan at the start of the season?

Maybe when they update it Januaz will be with a higher ranking etc and not be so easy to loan/buy.

I think I'm done with Career Mode for lower league clubs. Its just such a slog and taints the whole FIFA gameplay experience I think.

I'm Notts County and every game is either 0-0 or 1-0/0-1. Boring as hell and a drag to play. Seems I've found out in the last game, that you HAVE to do press conferences to get anything out of your players. I'm in November now and every game has been like running through mud. The decent skilled players have a second delay doing any sort of skill move, cant beat a man and most passes go off target.... do a press conference to 'motivate' my side and all of a sudden they are like 25% more responsive.

I know thats kinda realistic, but also, its not. Whats the point of having to 'motivate' the players each week to get a decent FIFA match? Just silly really.

I'm gonna try one with Chelsea, see how that goes - if that sucks too thanks to bent AI in CM, then I'll just stick to friendlies and mainly UT.

It really is mind-boggling why EA think that we want a mode where they cripple the gameplay to make it 'harder'.

Are you playing with sliders?

I ask because sliders that worked really well with my test Chelsea CM do not work well at all with my lower league CM. The results might be pretty realistic but the matches were not enjoyable to play.

I've gone back to close to the default settings and it's improved. Default speed works pretty well with lower league teams I think. I'm still struggling to find a solution to the age old FIFA problem of ending most matches with 60-40 possession.

Anyone with tips for how they're using the new GTN when it comes to analyzing players the scouts find?

Because I'm really struggling to figure out how to wean down the list of players my scouts bring back. For example I'm currently looking for a playmaking CM, and the scouts brought back dozens of players for me. How am I suppose to narrow down the list?

I'm trying to figure out how to enjoy the new system without resorting to Sofifa.com but it's tough.

I have a player with a broken ankle, who is suppose to be sidelined for 3 months, and I was able to put him in the starting lineup at the prematch team management screen.

Even funnier, the commentary mentioned him being out injured.

Messi's contract is up this year, just have to raise £365k/PW and then I'm sure he'll sign a pre-contract with Sheffield Wednesday! Fabregas' contract is also up if I can't afford Messi!

Had the most tedious 0-0 with Donacaster and have noW slipped down to 6th.

Won my Europa game 2-1 after being 1 down at HT. It took a last minute winner.

Loving this game this year. Cant wait for NG!

Doesn't Ince play for Blackpool in the Championship? so are Wigan? Is it that far fetched?

Januaz (I'm spelling it like you :PP )it could have been more realistic if he didn't play as well as he has recently and you are getting him on loan at the start of the season?

Maybe when they update it Januaz will be with a higher ranking etc and not be so easy to loan/buy.

I know what you are saying, but if/when he leaves Blackpool, it will be for a Premier League club for sure. Had the pleasure of watching the U21s at Portmand Road the other night and he (along with Zaha and Morison) were amazing.

Hey, each to their own - I just couldnt do it - like also how I cant put 'my name' as a manager as it looks silly if "i" am the manager of Chelsea. So I either use the real managers names, or will look for a good match to a job - i.e. I was Nigel Clough at Notts County.

An update on my Leyton Orient 2013-2014 season

We started off pretty well in the league and Capital One cup, but on 'World Class'

League
Bristol City 1 v Leyton Orient 2
Leyton Orient 3 v Shrewsbury 0

CO Cup 1st round
Tranmere 1 v Leyton Orient 2 (aet)

But then i upped it to 'Professional'

League
Stevenage 5 v Leyton Orient 1
Leyton Orient 1 v Tranmere 1
Sheff U 5 v Leyton Orient 1

Kevin Lisbie scoring in the first 5 league games, in his last season before he retires. Then he gets injured, shoulder injury. Out for 6 weeks (i think).

CO Cup 2nd round
Leyton Orient 1 v Bradford 0 (aet)

I then changed my slider settings, combining Matt10's with Placebo's...

League
Leyton Orient 3 v Carlisle 1
Swindon 0 v Leyton Orient 2

Around this time i was a bit concerned with the amount of times i was disposessing the defenders and scoring, so i was adviced to go up to 'Legendary' so i did...

League
Leyton Orient 0 v Walsall 1

We were all over them but gave a stupid STUPID goal away

CO Cup 3rd round
Leyton Orient 0 v Man City 2

The team selection for Man City (unbeaten in the league) seemed right, they had a few unknown (to me) players. We were all over them. In fact the first half they had zero shots. I thought it was a bit unrealistic but i thought 'oh well, they are there for the taking!' Then second half, Wright punches a cross out to Mooney and he volleys the ball wide of the open goal. That proved to be fatal. They brought on Aguero and Silva. They both scored within 14 mins of each other, then they were all over us. If only we had taken our chances.

League
Oldham 0 v Leyton 2

A fantastic result and a great game. At one nil up we were holding on, wacking the ball out anywhere. Eventually we got it to Batt, who jumped over the defender and put a cross in for Odubajo to header in. They also had a penalty after, which Mr Rooney (Adam) missed.

So after 9 games we have won 5, drawn 1, lost 3, and sitting in 12th place.

Lisbie was doing great until he got injured. But our best player has to be our midfielder M. Odubajo, he keeps popping up with goals and never gives the ball away.

Really enjoying it so far. Hopefully get in those play off spots. :))

Next up is a home game against the leaders, Gillingham.

I just had ~250,000 pounds disappear from my finances. I had over 600,000. Bought a new player that included a player exchange. Afterwards it said I ~250,000 left in budget and -700 in weekly wage budget. I then went into the finances slider to adjust and when I was done it said I had 0 in both budget and wages. What is this bullshit?

Could someone explain how pre-contracts work? I'm confused. Who is does this work for? How do I find them? Can I negotiate with them anytime or only during transfer windows?

And what's the deal with some players having a negative before the months remaining on their contract? What does, say, 0 years, -6 months mean?

The contract length bug seems to only be the first season (settled down now), it's actually really simple once you know the rules:

1. Players can only be signed on pre-contracts when they have 6 months or less on their contract, so essentially it's every January transfer window.

2. Pre-contracts can only be agreed for players aged 23 or over by the January before their contract ends.

3. Players can only be approached to sign a pre-contract whilst the transfer window is open.

4. Once agreed the money is taken out of your current year's transfer budget.

5. Once agreed the player will join your team at the beginning of the next season, unless they somehow come straight away and it says you signed them for 0 (happened to me with one) or unless a CPU team buys them after you've signed them to a pre-contract, so next season you pay their wages but they play for someone else.

Okay, great, thanks for the help. What about the negatives before contract lengths? Any idea what those indicate?

I think it's purely a visual bug, you'll find some it'll let you offer a pre-contract and some it won't, annoying but it looks like scouts see the real contract length so as soon as the August transfer window closes set your scouts looking out for players with 0-1 years left on their contract, add the ones you want to sign to your shortlist and then try in January.

Okay, another question: if I'm between the Winter/Summer windows, and a player is in the final months of his contract, will I have a chance to buy him before he renegotiates with his club, or do they automatically extend their contracts prior to the transfer window opening?

I'm assuming they automatically extend before I can sign them myself, yeah?

I'm not going mad am I? Career mode is a different game to friendlies and UT isnt it?

Deciding who to be in career mode and settled on Newcastle. Played a few friendlies to get used to them before going into CM and the games were really good - fast, end to end, good build up etc.

Start the career mode and suddenly its a trudge again. Players running in mud. Cant get any skills off (before, in friendlies, HBA is able to do lots of tricks, in CM, nothing - button lag renders him useless).

Opponents seem to be able to always get the ball first, 50/50s bounce and roll oddly to opponents, seemingly normal short passes that I can make no problem outside of CM, roll to opponents.

Becomes such a slog in midfield and really starting to grate.

So.... is it just me, or is this what happens for everyone? I used to dismiss the people that went on about it as I usually played as lower league teams and just accepted the slog and dull games were because of the skill level of the other players, but its affecting the very top leagues?

Pretty pissed off if so as I love manager mode and buying/selling etc.

Well I don't want to call it lunacy, especially b/c so many people bring it up, but I've never noticed gameplay differences to the degree that others, and yourself, mention.

CM def plays a different game, especially when consider different boosts that come from form, morale, playing at home, etc. But I don't find it to be all that drastic and I still really enjoy playing CM. And I'm playing in League 1.

Hmmm I really wanna stick with it, but it's frustrating knowing there is a better way to enjoy the game in other modes. I'm loving UT on and offline and the odd friendly is brilliant. I do think this is close - or even is the best football game I've ever played, but whatever is going on in CM is f**ked up!

Fwiw, just been on Op. Sports forum and there is an almost identically worded question.

Back
Top Bottom