Fifa 13: Career Mode Discussions

I signed a free agent, he is 18 and was rated 75 overall. Logically I assumed there is no way is has peaked as its only the second season on career mode.

He has played 4 games so far scored 2 goals but his overall rating is now 74, a minus 1 growth.

Has anyone come across this?

I have never seen a young player's have 'negative growth', what does this mean. Has he peaked at 18?

This happened all the time for me, every young player I signed dropped by 2-4 stats as soon as they arrived but eventually grew well beyond their original rating so it didn't bother me a all :)

I really struggle to find a career mode that I generally enjoy, if I sim every game, no sense of accomplishment and I finish about 1 season and if I play games I make it to the end of the first transfer window, don't like being lower league teams and don't like teams with huge budgets (no more than £30mill) any suggestions? Must be a top league. E.g. EPL, Serie A, BBVA etc..

That might be your problem. FIFA's not built to play that way. Of course you can, but it's always going to be a massively sub-optimal experience.

In any case, personally I think CM is at its best and most satisfying when you start with lower-league teams. If you can't enjoy that, you probably ought to be playing FM.

Okay, so I guess all transfer updates are there, but if I start a new career mode and want to select a new team, the "team information" still has all the old rosters from the beginning of the season. Things like this tend to really piss me off.

Okay, so I guess all transfer updates are there, but if I start a new career mode and want to select a new team, the "team information" still has all the old rosters from the beginning of the season. Things like this tend to really piss me off.

When you're starting a new CM, you have to select DOWNLOAD ROSTERS or CURRENT CUSTOMIZED for the roster option. There is a glitch where that switches back to DEFAULT if you do that first and then make changes to the next option, European Competition - you have to go back and change it before you advance.

I always choose download latest squads, that is not it. I'm actually talking about the screen before that. Right after you choose "start new career" from the main menu and then "manager career", you can choose which club you want to manage. On the right you see the starting teams. The 'old' teams, because you have not yet chosen to download the latest rosters. So you're basing your choice for a particular team on the wrong information.

Which is stupid.

I always choose download latest squads, that is not it. I'm actually talking about the screen before that. Right after you choose "start new career" from the main menu and then "manager career", you can choose which club you want to manage. On the right you see the starting teams. The 'old' teams, because you have not yet chosen to download the latest rosters. So you're basing your choice for a particular team on the wrong information.

Which is stupid.

You can fix this by going all the through the set up, to the point of making your manager (choosing name etc)and then quittinf back to team select!

Okay after reading all of the posts on here I am looking for some suggestions. My current CM is with Newcastle and I am into the 4th season now. I don’t normally adjust the sliders, mainly because I’m never really confident about what I’m doing.
My 1st season I played semi-pro, in hind sight that was a mistake as it was far too easy. The 2nd season I moved up to professional. I lost a few games but won the league, CC and FA Cup but was knocked out in the semi’s of the CL. I was in two minds whether to increase to WC but normally my motto is I have to win everything before I can, hence as I hadn’t won the Champions League I stayed at prof. In 3rd season I won the league and FA Cup, knocked out 1st round of CC to Arsenal :SHOCK:. I did though get to final of CL but was gutted and lost 1-0 to Barcelona due to a Messi wondergoal from 30 yards. I decided I would look to increase anyway as I won the league by a mile and only lost one game all season (in the league).
However, when I went up to WC it just became soooooo frustrating as it was almost ridiculous the way the CPU would ping it about and then score all the time. I’m still on WC but I am trying to adjust the sliders bit by bit. My sliders are still the default sliders, though I have increased to make my players make more attacking runs. The CPU is the default sliders but I have increased pass error and shot error to 60 and this seems to have made quite a difference. The games are generally a lot tighter and I don’t often hammer teams say 4-0 but I’m still winning most of them, I think I need to perhaps reduce shot error a little bit for CPU because at 50 it was like they’d never miss and at 60 some of their shots are just shocking.
I don’t think I want to go fully manual as I don’t think I’d be very good and I’d get frustrated and annoyed and that ruins any of the fun for me. That said I do get annoyed sometimes at the 50setting because sometimes I’ll go to make a simple pass and the CPU will attempt a through ball I didn’t want it to make (even though I press the pass button). Or I’ll go to make a simple pass and the CPU will play it in a complete different direction. I did take down pass error to 25 thinking that might help but it was rubbish, it just made all my passes really well bobbly is best way I can describe it – do you increase from 50 to make it more manual?
Oh also, does WC increase the number of bizarre referring decisions? On previous levels I’ve not noticed any probs and rarely even a yellow card. Now penalties are being given (always against me!) when I haven’t even made a challenge and likewise players are getting bookings (both me and CPU) and when the game shows the incident a challenge wasn’t even made!
Any advice/comments gratefully rec’d.

The difficulty settings are a mess IMO. My feeling is that playing on a higher difficulty setting results more in the CPU players being better (through attribute boosts) rather than the CPU itself playing better (thus simulating what it would be like playing against human opponents of different quality.

Now I actually have my sliders pretty close to the default settings - except for injury frequency which is almost maxed. For me, the main issue that I try to "correct" is the reaction times of the CPU players, so the most important adjustment that I make is to decrease the CPU acceleration slider by 1 (or two if I'm having a real off day). Though acceleration is not the same as reaction times, this for me makes the most difference.

I also adjust CPU shooting error slightly because I find that whilst I generally create 4 or 5 times more chances, the CPU is 4 or 5 times better at converting its chances. There's nothing more frustrating than dominating match after match in every way except the scoreline. Poorer quality teams (or poorer performing teams) do win matches against greater opposition, of course, but not on a consistent basis.

Of course, you can always use other slider recommendations that more dramatically alter gameplay - I think Placebo's are the most recommended settings - but for me personally, drastic sliders changes always have repercussions. Placebo's, for example, I think make the match statistics and outcomes more realistic, but for me they make the game too slow and the players feel too sluggish. Too each's own.

By the way, I play on Legendary and Slow speed setting, with a mixture of semi and assisted settings (used to be all manual but not a fan at the moment). Whatever changes you make, I suggest you play on Legendary and make it easier as needed through the sliders - Legendary brings out the best of the AI in terms of quality of play and decision making.

Last edited:
I just started a career mode with Barcelona B, not something that many people do for some reason. They have a great squad and right now I'm pushing for about 4th place (even though my objective is mid-table). I'm hoping to get promoted and to somehow go quite far in the spanish cup (maybe even win it, so that I can go euro league and get some funds that way).

My team is now a 4star team, haven't done any transfers except to lean in Wellington Nem for a striker option. I have about 1mil. In the bank from selling players and I'm looking to sign Nathan Ake, and maybe a very good midfielder (someone like a CDM with good physical stats or technical stats for around 1mil.)

Any recommendations for a cheap and good CDM?

Thanks for the recommendation, but i found that he's a bit beyond my wage budget seeing as he's priced at about 3-4 million.

So i ended up buyin nathan Ake so far, I'm trying to negotiate for either gary gardner, adryan or luca marrone...

Aha yes of course you would have a lower budget, Gary Gardner becomes a fantastic player but for the first season or two his physical stats are very low, his shooting and free kick taking are first rate though, in my Newcastle CM I bought him then loaned him out for two seasons and then he's really ready for the EPL :)

Thanks Maxpower. I'll try and play around with the settins bit more. Probs have a few days away from FIFA though as ive been getting annoyed at the game this weekend.
Still in 4th season, top of the league and just won the CC, ironically easiest game of the cup was in the final (beat Stoke 3-0), every other game was tight and scrappy with me just edging it. I've just lost to Everton in last 16 of FA Cup and into last 16 of CL but got Barcelona. Drew the 1st leg 1-1 at home, cant see myself getting a result there though. Was lucky to draw the first game.
Still havent managed to find the settings that are just right for me. I have reduced shot error to 52 now but they still miss some absolute sitters and have increased CPU pass error to 65 to compensate for lower shoot error, though as they still keep missing will probs reduce again.
I'm finding it frustrating though because when these teams become superhuman. I get it a lot last 10-15 mins and when the CPU is say 1 goal behind it kind of works and its a good idea but when it happens and they are 3 or 4 behind its stupid. I've also had some games where CPU has felt like that all the way through and thats whats annoyed me. Take my loss to Everton, the entire game was just awful all my players felt so slow and weak and all Evertons were super quick and strong and it was a joke. My entire team was 100% fit before the game so isnt even that. Does aggrivate me though when CPU does that and it seems to be purely random.

Hello guys, I 'm new here I just wanted to ask you why I suddenly don't have competition against the PS3 in career mode. I just started my 4th season with Southampton first year finished: 16th, second: 11th, third: 6th and now I have played 4 games and won with a over 7 goals difference to 0. I played all seasons in legendary mode I even in the previous season I was struggling to Win.
My starting XI is:
Stefanos Kapino 84(GK)
Nathanian Clyne 82 (RB)
Hugo Ayala 78 (CB)
Kurt Zouma 82 (CB)
Kieran Gibbs 82 (LB)
Spyros Fourlanos 75 (CM)
Moussa Sissoko 84 (CDM)
Adam Lallana 83 (CM)
James Rodriguez 88 (LW)
Jay Rodriguez 82 (RW)
Gaston Ramirez 89(CF)

and I don't have a bench player over 75 overall. Can anyone give me an explanation and if it has happened to anyone else?

Hello guys, I 'm new here I just wanted to ask you why I suddenly don't have competition against the PS3 in career mode.

Could it not be something as simple as your just a lot better at it? I also think it'd be easier to judge when you've played a lot more games of your 4th season. Perhaps you've had such a gd start because of the teams you've played thus far.

I've just lost to Everton in last 16 of FA Cup and into last 16 of CL but got Barcelona. Drew the 1st leg 1-1 at home, cant see myself getting a result there though. Was lucky to draw the first game.

Played it last night again and to my shock (and delight!) I somehow won the return fixture 5-1 at the Nou Camp. It was really weird. I'd played 2 or 3 league games and I couldnt buy a goal from anywhere, my players all seemed so slow and the CPU were all so much quicker (that supermen type performance that arises) for a succession of matches. Wasnt helped by CPU being so defensive against me it was ridiculous, couldnt score and didnt look like scoring. Then in the return game it was the opposite, Barca were slow and immobile and my players suddenly came to life, full of energy, quick, they were like supermen this time and I've never had that before! Was really weird and slightly surreal as I hadnt changed the settings.

what i would like to know is how can i know if a player can play well in a certain position. for example the youth players only have one position and you don't know how well they may play in any other position.

Hey guys, does your contract as a manager ever improve. I'm in my fourth season with Arsenal and won plenty but still on 28k Wage. I never get any managerial offers besides international offers. First offer was from russia, led them to the WC (qualification) then got an offer from Germany and got greedy leaving russia. Germany wanted me to win WC 2014. I made it to the WC 2014 quarter finals and lost to spain. Was sacked shortly after. I'm now with England (currently doing EC 2016 qualifiers)

Initially I started the first season with Arsenal on Legendary but by the half way point I was about 10th because it was near impossible to stop the CPU from scoring. Leading to a lot of 3-3 and 4-4 draws, so in fear for my job I moved to professional but after about 3 games it proved too easy so I'm on WC now which after 2-3 seasons is proving to be easy as well. In my 3rd season I won 34/38 league games and drew the rest. The way it is going in my 4th season it feels like I could easily win all games which is a bit boring tbh so might try out legendary again.

After 3 seasons:
Clubs: 1
League Titles: 2
Domestic Cups Won: 2
Continental Cups Won: 2 (Champions cup)
Manager of the year award: 2

Do you get other big club offers and does the current wage ever change (not that it means anything but just for fun :P) ?

Last edited:
Do you ever go to browse jobs? That's where you can see other clubs with a vacant managerial position and can apply for them.

I don't think other clubs offer you the job out of nowhere. You have to apply for it.

what i would like to know is how can i know if a player can play well in a certain position. for example the youth players only have one position and you don't know how well they may play in any other position.

You can't know for sure, you can only look at their stats and assume they'll play we there. Of course over playing a player out of position will damage their morale horrendously.

Do you ever go to browse jobs? That's where you can see other clubs with a vacant managerial position and can apply for them.

I don't think other clubs offer you the job out of nowhere. You have to apply for it.

I think you only get offered jobs if you're exceeding expectations, for example I have a Bradford career where I've just reached the premier league, my expectations are to avoid relegation but in currently 6th, and I've had Chelsea, Ajax, AC Milan and Lyon all come for me. Turned them all down of course, ny young and vibrant side willgo far I'm sure!

Anyone else noticing these ridiculous stats for the youth generated players. I have 4 CB's who's pace stats all risen to 80+ and one who has actually got 94 sprint speed.
It seems pretty much every youngster has at least 80 pace, or is 6ft 6 with incredible strength or 5foot 7 quick, 5 star skills but one foot.. I'm all for random generation, but some logic please fifa.

And what's with some players having incredible stats for one position, but being registered in another, for example a striker with great crossing, short passing, pace and dribbling but only 45 finishing!! Why isn't he a winger.

I've had many offers in my career mode PLF, so they do offer you jobs.
;)

Oh okay cool.

I thought it was only National teams that offer you jobs and the clubs you have to apply for yourself. Guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the info.

You can't know for sure, you can only look at their stats and assume they'll play we there. Of course over playing a player out of position will damage their morale horrendously.
I have played a CM in RM position for 3 seasons and he is still happy.

So I have now reached the summer of 2018 in my Plymouth career. Last season was where it was all happening; seriously though, after a trophy drought spanning 4 seasons I managed to win the EPL, League Cup and Europa League. Unfortunately I failed to make it a full house because of an entirely undeserved (heavily biased I may be) 1-0 win for Man City in the semis of the FA Cup.

I got a nice budget of ~ £35 mil from the board at the beginning of this season and I started contemplating how to improve on my current crop of players. However, since I had invested quite heavily in my Youth Academy a couple of seasons ago, I had a number of young prospects which I felt I could grow into the roles which needed seeing to.

I have 3 players in particular who i'm excited about: Mark Grant, a 16-year-old LW with a current rating of 72; Jordan Joyce, a 17-year-old CDM with a current rating of 67 and finally Adam Smith, a 17-year-old CAM with a current rating of 69.
I have subsequently loaned out Jordan Joyce, but I've promoted Mark Grant into one of my backup wingers (I'll try and give him game time in the league cup if possible) and i'm still hoping to find a club to ship Adam Smith out to for the season.

Now, down to the real business :P
I don't know if I mentioned this dude before, but as a replacement for Ulm - who skipped off to City with pound-signs in his eyes - I brought in this 'Dorde Basta' bloke off of the free agents list.
Well that was last season and he grew into an absolute boss with a rating of 85 at the age of 22. However, one day I noticed he was only 5"8 on his bio page, it began to drive me crazy after that because whenever I saw him on the pitch I realised how small he actually looked compared to all my 6 foot-and-over defenders and keeper. So long story short, this season Bayern came in with an offer of around £24 mil for him. I countered with £40 mil and they accepted!
So here's me, the manager of wee Plymouth Argyle with £75 mil to throw around...

IN

83 CB: Prince Desir Gouano - £13,000,000 (Luciano)
84 CDM: Casemiro - £17,000,000 (Sao Paulo)

OUT

85 CB: Basta - £40,000,000 (Bayern)
68 CM: Matt Horwood - £1,300,000 (Leicester City)

Plus a couple of youth players out on loan.

Horrible news has broken now though as Sosa Pena my talisman, probably the most pivotal player in my squad (and my favourite) has handed in a written transfer request. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
The next day Barca and Real Madrid both submitted bids of around the £60 mil mark for him, I rejected both (I don't need money now, I have about £47 mil still in the bank). The board have come forward and told me that he must be sold because otherwise it will become detrimental to the squad. I have no idea who to buy to replace him, he was an 87 rated CM (but I played him as a CAM). If you have any suggestions please throw them forward, and i'd rather they weren't 'household names'... if you know what I mean. It would be too weird having Iniesta or David Silva playing for Plymouth Argyle...

I have played a CM in RM position for 3 seasons and he is still happy.

Yup I've never seen a player unhappy because he's played in the wrong position.

As for finding out what positions other players can play in, use the quick swap option with Y/Triangle and then scroll through your players, it will show you which ones it believes can play in that position.

Yup I've never seen a player unhappy because he's played in the wrong position.

As for finding out what positions other players can play in, use the quick swap option with Y/Triangle and then scroll through your players, it will show you which ones it believes can play in that position.

Thank You

Back
Top Bottom