Fifa 13: Career Mode Discussions

SUCCESS!

Since the board eventually went and sold Sosa Pena behind my back for a measley £25 mil, I decided to reload to at least get the £60 mil or so I was offered previously. Turns out, the board have now decided to trust me with the decision of whether or not to sell him; obviously I ain't sellin'. I managed to get through deadline day and now with the window shut he is still my player. I realised that this must have all stemmed from a dispute about contract length when I attempted to raise his wages up to 30k haha (I offered him a 2-year extension, he only wanted 1). I have now offered him a new contract with only the 1-year extension (i'm allowed to now, thankfully) so hopefully he'll extend his stay at Molten Road! ;)

Also, I signed this dude from the free agents (Yes, i'm a sucker for free agent gods) as a replacement for Sosa Pena, which turned to be rather premature, but I managed to get him without specifying the role he would have within the squad. I was just wondering how this works? For example, if he was assigned 'Important Player' or 'Critical Player' he would undoubtedly moan if he's dropped for more than 1 or 2 games. However, if he's assigned 'Squad Rotation Player' or lower then he's more tolerant of being out of the team for a while. Does anyone know how tolerant he'll be, or is it perhaps randomised?

In theory he will be happy acting as the tea lady ;) Contract negotiations are programmed really stupidly anyway, player wants 10k and 1 year, you offer 10k and 2 years so he sulks for three weeks? Perlease.

In theory he will be happy acting as the tea lady ;) Contract negotiations are programmed really stupidly anyway, player wants 10k and 1 year, you offer 10k and 2 years so he sulks for three weeks? Perlease.

Haha, lets hope so :COOL:

I Just had another contract piss-take, One of my promising youth players had only about 10 months left on his contract so I offered him an increase from 500 p/w to 2.5k and a length of 5 years (because well, he's a promising youth player) but he only wanted 1 year and now he's in the huff and wants time to 'evaluate his options'. Christ, he was only promoted from the academy last season and has only played about 20 mins of a pre-season friendly match. :CONFUSE:

Also, Sosa Pena accepted my contract offer once I reduced it from 2 years to 1. This is stupid.

Last edited:
I bet if you released him he'd immediately sign for 5 years on 1k p/w! The problem is sometimes free transfers just vanish completely, one of the many bugs.

I don't know if any of you guys have managed a club in the MLS, but I was considering going for a career over the pond for a change.

I'm just curious about the tournaments over there (I'll admit I don't pay much attention to american 'soccer'), with the absence of the Champions League and lack of lower leagues to climb through i'm sceptical as to whether i'll enjoy it fully.

So have any you guys got any valuable insight on this haha? I was thinking about going with Kansas City.

Well, the board sold Butland behind my back in my Bradford career, and I had already sold off my sub keeper cause he was unhappy with his lack of opportunities, with just two days left in the window.. and almost laughably everyone else rejected me in my attwmpts to replace him. Got until January without a starting keeper, I pulled my scout back to try and find anyone at all.. first month was all 14 and 15 year olds!! Just my luck, so far I've used a 16 year old 6"8' centre back and he's grown 4 overall so every cloud..

Well, the board sold Butland behind my back in my Bradford career, and I had already sold off my sub keeper cause he was unhappy with his lack of opportunities, with just two days left in the window.. and almost laughably everyone else rejected me in my attwmpts to replace him. Got until January without a starting keeper, I pulled my scout back to try and find anyone at all.. first month was all 14 and 15 year olds!! Just my luck, so far I've used a 16 year old 6"8' centre back and he's grown 4 overall so every cloud..

Haha that's pretty funny :APPLAUD: Although I guess the hilarity wears off relatively quickly huh ;)

I decided to scrap the notion of managing in the MLS and opted for a career with Reading; although to spice things up a bit I moved them down into the championship to make it more interesting, and hopefully, enjoyable.

Now, I don't know why but Reading seem to have a ridiculous number of strikers (7) and an extreme deficiency in the midfield area (3 CDM's and 1 CM). I suppose it depends on the formation but for me this meant I had a helluva lot of wheeling and dealing to do.
Also, I set myself some rules for this career to keep it challenging; things such as: NO FREE AGENT GODS, no players with silhouettes on bios (i'll have to make an exception for youth players however) and try and keep a good portion of british players within the squad (I haven't decided on a percentage but maybe about 65/70%).

I'll also be sticking to Legendary difficulty, 5 minute halves and normal speed (I used to play on slow but i'm trying to keep this career as realistic as possible). Finally, i'm considering applying Placebo's sliders to see if they can give a better representation of the PL's, and for now, the Championship's football play ;)

I'll post the comings and goings once i've gotten rid of the several thousand strikers on my books :P

I just got pummeled by Arsenal in my Sheffield career:
I played against them three times in 2 weeks (2 cup matches+1 epl) and I lost all three:
0:5, 1:5, 0:4

I also encountered a superman in Swansea team: youth player ST 82+ spd, acc, finishing, 6.8" !!!

Anyone else noticed the radical changes in players growing from career to career? For me I noticed it in keepers first, Jed Steer during my Fleetwood Career grew to a massive 93 overall and yet in this Bradford career he's a mere 64 overall and then there's Yeray who looked a star at 84 during my Bristol Rovers career and still growing. In this career he's only 63 and a bench player at Sheffield Wednesday!

Sorry if this has been mentioned before I've been q little slow at keeping up with the posts here ,)

Just started my 3rd season of career mode as manager of both LIverpool and Italy. Here's what my club squad looks like:
First XI
--------------------Reina---------------------
-----Danilo-----Agger-----Skrtel-----Jose Enrique
----------Busquets-----------Allen-------------
------Adryan--------------------Boussoufa-----
--------Walcott---------------Hernandez-------

Substitutes:
Sterling
Henderson
David Vesco (On loan) *Future star
Shelvey
Flanagan

Playing on Semi-pro is turning out to be much to easy, all my game settings are on default but i tend to get lazy and sim the big matches :P
Titles won:
2012/13 Premier League
2012/13 Europa League
2013 UEFA Super Cup
2013 FA Cup
2013/14 Premier League
2013/14 League Cup

Lost out in 2013/14 Champions League final to Barcelona 2-1 thanks to me simming the match.
Over the course of career mode i've mad 3 big name transfers away from the club, namely Suarez for €45 million, Sturridge for €40 million and Gaston Ramirez for €45 million

Looking forward to the new season ahead! Might have a go at Professional difficulty this time round.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any suggestions for different clubs to try out. Preferably one with a few million in the budget , don't really like choosing lower league clubs, although i did carry Crewe Alexandra to the Premier League where i last 3 seasons before getting relegated on Professional difficulty. Took me 7 seasons to get to the Premier League!

Even managed to bring a few big names to the club like Adel Taarabt, Christian Benteke and even Aaron Lennon!

Sadly though just couldn't keep up with the big spenders Chelsea, Man City and newly refurbished Newcastle buying out all the future stars and current stars.

Almost had Mattia de Sciglio (Milan) and 83 overal RB for a steal at only €7 million!! But i was outbid €15 million by my rivals Newcastle.

If i could turn back time i would've definitely invested in some of the free agents of offer and boosted my defence before it was too late, rather than focusing solely on strengthening my attack!

Maybe growth was toned down in an update between the two careers you had?

My first thoughts as well, and so I looked into it.. and my CB Adams Soumarou according to so FIFA only has a potential of 70, having played consistently and at a very high standard for me he's hit 89 overall.. now fkas across to a career I slapped together at Wigan I've bought three test players in Soumarou, Steer and an AM who's name escapes me nut had noticed he was 85+ in one career and 67 ish in the other.

Anyway, I simmed a couple of seasons with both careers, in one where these players played week in and week out and another where they played souradically to represent the usual use of a young star.

The results:

Steer up 14 when playing over two years hitting 71 overall and exceeding his potential by 8. Flip it to playing cup games and the odd league appearance, he's grown by 3 a d sits at 60 overall.

Soumarou climbed from 59 overall to 72 overall in two years of playing and only 64 when not (mainly cause Figueroa got injured and I used him)

The AM grew to 69 when playing, and only 61 when not.

So growth isn't entirely random, it just seems to be more extravagantly affected by games played, form and level of competition then I have ever noticed.
There are also some other players across the world who have developed differently depending on if they stay at a certain team or move to play more football.
I guess its been implemented in a way to try and diversify the game from each players experience to the next.

Just starting my second season into my Arsenal Career mode, here's the team

Sczhesny - 83
Rb - Richards (82)
Cb - Ciaran Clark (82)
Bc - Hummels (88)
Lb - Gibbs (82)
CDM - Wilshere (85)
CDM - Witsel (86)
RAM - James Rodriguez (86)
LAM - Carzola (88)
CAM - Bale (89)
ST - Aubameyang (83)

Notable Subs

GK - Fabianski (81)
DEF - Ogbonna (81), Jerome Boateng (82), monreal (81), Azpilicueta (81), Jenkinson (74)
MID - Kevin Boateng (85), Isla (85), Muniain (80), Miyaichi (76), Coquelin (76), Dench (74)
ATT - Lacina Traore (82)

Objectives are to win everything :(

Hello Guys, I'm new here.
Can I please ask you something.
Why when I'm playing carer mode, All I have is Sim Match?
I don't want to simulate any of the matches.. I want to play Fifa, not simulate :(

Hello Guys, I'm new here.
Can I please ask you something.
Why when I'm playing carer mode, All I have is Sim Match?
I don't want to simulate any of the matches.. I want to play Fifa, not simulate :(

Whenever it's time for your next match, you should have two options: play next match or sim match.

If all you see is sim match, then your FIFA is broken. Or maybe someone else has experience with this because it's a new one for me.

My first thoughts as well, and so I looked into it.. and my CB Adams Soumarou according to so FIFA only has a potential of 70, having played consistently and at a very high standard for me he's hit 89 overall.. now fkas across to a career I slapped together at Wigan I've bought three test players in Soumarou, Steer and an AM who's name escapes me nut had noticed he was 85+ in one career and 67 ish in the other.

Anyway, I simmed a couple of seasons with both careers, in one where these players played week in and week out and another where they played souradically to represent the usual use of a young star.

The results:

Steer up 14 when playing over two years hitting 71 overall and exceeding his potential by 8. Flip it to playing cup games and the odd league appearance, he's grown by 3 a d sits at 60 overall.

Soumarou climbed from 59 overall to 72 overall in two years of playing and only 64 when not (mainly cause Figueroa got injured and I used him)

The AM grew to 69 when playing, and only 61 when not.

So growth isn't entirely random, it just seems to be more extravagantly affected by games played, form and level of competition then I have ever noticed.
There are also some other players across the world who have developed differently depending on if they stay at a certain team or move to play more football.
I guess its been implemented in a way to try and diversify the game from each players experience to the next.

I don't know if you've seen this site before (http://www.fifascoutingtips.com/?p=584) but it has a lot of information about player growth in FIFA 13... especially concerning academy players. Somewhere on that site (and I think with a link to a youtube video) someone did a whole lotta work and discovered that player potential (the #) means a whole lot less in FIFA 13 versus previous FIFA games in terms of player growth. Player growth now seems to be linked to playing time (and possibly performance) and players can now grow waaay above their potential.

EDIT: Here is a video showing some player growth... at the 7:30 mark of so the guy shows the growth of players over 10 seasons that were only supposed to have less than 80 potential that grew to 90+ overall: (YouTube - FIFA 13 - Amazing Youth Team - Career Mode - Testing Player Growth)

TBH I'm much happier with how growth is in Fifa13, in the past you just end up buying the same players all the time because they have high growth, now it's as much about buying the players you want and playing them, maybe it's not as realistic as it could be but makes CM for me less stale :)

Just had the best game ever in FIFA 13 tonight, Playing Be a Pro, Started out at my home town team Derry City, Then erned a move to West Brom were we got relegated. So got an offer from Celtic went there so as i could get some Champs League footie, First season we made the quarter finals and got stuffed by Real Madrid over 2 legs, Second season see us in a group of death, Lost first game 2-1 to CSKA Moscow, Second game we got Barcelona, To my amazement we were 4-0 up at half time, Then second half Barca came back to 4-4, so here was me saying this a stunning game....:BOP:, We some how hang on with Barca cracking crossbar and post twice only to break away and.....Hooper set me up for the winner 5-4....:BOP:.

Just thought i would say best game i have ever had on Fifa 13 be a mile......Even though the score was a bit weird.....:CONFUSE:

Decided to restart my Bradford adventure this time with some strict rules in place.

These rules are:
1) No regens until necessary (to fulfill my other rules)
2) No signing above the best player at the club at the start of each year (exception under rule 14)
3) No free agents, except in emergencies (injuries to players or deadline day)
4) Youth Players must spend their first year on loan (if an offer comes in)
5) First XI must include a 6+5 English rule, meaning 6 players must be English.
6) Offers exceeding double a players value must be accepted without question.
7) Any player disputes (players wanting to leave) must be resolved with a transfer regardless.
8) No signings over 23 years old
9) No more than 3 loan transfers.
10) Players over 30 years old must be transfer listed, and sold at any price.
11) Squad must include at least 1 sub per position.
12) Youth players must take priority over signed players.
13) Formation and Tactics can not be changed after the three friendlies have been complete.
14) New Star Rule: Allows for one signing above the best player at the club each season, if the new star is not a starter at his old club.

Rule number 2 has already cost me Wells and its only the first month! A team bid £1.4m and I was powerless to object.
Signings so far are:
Billy Clifford (£250,000 from Colchester)
Jed Steer (loan with option to buy from Norwich
Adama Somoaru (loan with option to buy from Lille)

And my intentions are to acquire a new Striker to replace Wells soon.

Ok, so I've just completed my first season with Reading in the championship. It was quite a decent season in fact with a 1st place finish in the league by a cool 10 points; as well as a solid run in the FA Cup to get all the way to the semis before succumbing to a resolute Stoke side. For some reason, Arsenal came in for me mid-season, and so did Anzhi later on... odd.

Anyway, I forgot to post my initial signings at the start of the first season so i'll post them now:

Summer

Fabian Delph (CM) - £2,000,000 from Aston Villa
Luke Shaw (LB) - £2,000,000 from Southampton
Rafinha (CAM) - £1,400,000 from Coritiba
Bojan Zajic (CM) - 275k from Valerenga
Hossam Ghaly (CM) - Free Agent

January

Ciaran Clark (CB) - £2,600,000 from Aston Villa

Alex Pearce had to be sold because of Homesickness, but true to form with Fifa he went to Southampton for £2.5 mil, which is actually further from his home nation of Ireland than Reading is.

Anyhoo, I brought in Clark as his replacement and he's been pretty solid so far.

The most notable performers of this season have been Delph (been awesome in the middle of the park even with 3 months on the sidelines), Rafinha (been the talisman of my team, should hopefully do well in the top flight; he scored 19 goals), Le Fondre (bagged 22 goals and 12 assists for the season) and Zajic although he's the wrong side of 30 and is declining fast. Luke Shaw has always been pretty solid in both defence and attack for me; Karacan is also a relentless beast.

Here's an update of the signings from the summer of the second season:

IN

Youseff El Arabi (CF) - £4,000,000 from Granada
Gary Hooper (ST) - £3,700,000 from Celtic
James Forrest (RM) - £4,675,000 + Kebe from Celtic
Tom Carroll (CM) - On season loan from Spurs
Jack Butland (GK) - £4,500,000 from Stoke

OUT

Adam Le Fondre (ST) - £4,900,000 to Cagliari
Alex McCarthy (GK) - £1,800,000 to Fulham
Pavel Pogrebnyak (ST) - £1,800,000 to Stoke

+ a few other players left who I can't remember off the top of my head; fairly insignificant prices anyway.

I wasn't planning on selling Le Fondre, especially since he was my leading scorer last season; however there was so much interest in him and I saw it as an opportunity to get a decent sum of money to spread elsewhere around the squad... so I sold him.

I've also decided i'm going to try and stick to a wage cap of 20k, at least for now. The wage cap does make it more challenging actually, it ruled me out of signing so many players, Barry Bannan being one of them.

So far i've managed to drag out a 0-0 draw at home to Chelsea, and I really had to dig deep when I secured a 2-0 win away to West Brom. Butland was absolutely immense, I have literally never seen a better performance by a keeper on Fifa; he was saving shots with his hands, feet, face, back, ears, whatever!

WELL DO I NOT LIKE THAT!!!

Just beat Chelsea 2-0 in The FA Cup quater final and the beloved game has decided to evict me from the competition and added Everton to the semi final lineup (who were knocked out in the 4th rd!!)

Stupid pile of shite!

Hello friends.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out here.
I'm playing Career Mode as Michael Laudrup (cough, cough), manager of Swansea City. The captain of my team by default was Ashley Williams, but later on it automatically changed to the other centreback, Chico Flores. Every time I manually once again change the captain back to Williams, it changes to Chico Flores automatically within the next two matches at the most.

Also, if Chico Flores isn't playing the game, the player who occupies that exact position becomes captain! For example, I replace Chico with Kyle Bartley for one match. He becomes the captain!

Please help me out here.
Thanks!

I have finished my Sheffield utd career (epl 7th place, won europa league).

My next project is Liverpool. I have edited team budgets for all epl teams to make them up to date (I have used transfermarkt data from last 2 seasons) so my Liverpool budget will be 40 mil!
My plan is to sell older players (except Gerrard and Carragher) and Skrtel and buy Hummels and one star left midfielder (bale?). I will play in 4-5-1 formation so it will probably look like this in first season:
---------------Reina
Johnson-Agger-Hummels-Enrique
Coutinho-Lucas-Allen-Bale
--------------Gerrard---------------
--------------Suarez---------------

For 2nd season, I will get a star omf and get rid of lucas.

This is brutal: The Board @ Liverpool wants me to win the league and the cup in my first season. It would be fair if the goal was to qualify for ECL.

I am sure other people will have experienced this but Welbeck just scores way too many goals each session. Its so annoying because he scores in every match

Back
Top Bottom