FIFA 12 Demo impressions

It's clear some people don't get it. It takes time but once you get the hang of it, tackling becomes fun. Waiting for your moment to pounce is great and I hope they don't change it too much because Clubs should be great.

The thing that worries me is i think i do get it. What i was doing was pretty similar to Nerfs example, even then at least 3 times a game midfielders dont track runs.

When so much is placed in the hands of the AI as Nerfs example shows, thats when they can control crappy last minute goals or legendary BS.

What amazes me is when i get slated for calling the defensive setup unintuitive and bad design, yet no-one is using the default control scheme and are mapping buttons all over the place. Moving controls to RB so you never use it.

Even with that, the teammate AI is sooooo bad on defending and attacking thats its no fun at all to cover them. I want to be able to concentrate on either marking the guy after i make contact or cover passing options. NOT switching between the back four covering bad AI.

Gamerbase wasn't this bad so i hold hope but i cant see me playing this for a year.

Clubs mode will have to be good, but I'll have a bet that purple afro 'flair' passing for 90 minutes will be the norm within days.

Not sure where I'd use precision dribbling.
So far, I'd say I've been using it to a) put my foot on the ball while I have a look around, or b) to extract myself from an impending tackle, (sort of pivot/drag the ball out of trouble), or c) just to quickly face up in the direction I want (instead of going through a longer turning-while-dribbling animation).

At the moment I'm looking at it as a way of manipulating the ball between your feet, so you can rotate, drag, turn, face up in tighter situations without needing to travel or commit to a direction.

Can someone with FIFA 11 UK Version on Xbox 360 please tell me what commentary languages were provided?
English/French/Dutch, IIRC.

Even with that, the teammate AI is sooooo bad on defending and attacking thats its no fun at all to cover them. I want to be able to concentrate on either marking the guy after i make contact or cover passing options. NOT switching between the back four covering bad AI.

As I said yesterday, I tried playing a match as one player and not really switching. So when I could, I'd shut down passing lanes etc. That was great while I was involved. It was when I couldn't get involved when it fell apart. The AI just failed to mark players, track runs, shut off passing opportunities. It just became a mess.

I love all the backhanded compliments going around: "oh, FIFA 12 is flawed but fun" etc. As if any game is perfect. The FIFA-hating that goes on is just silly at times.

And why would you think that people are going to hate the full version if it's better than 11( which it will be)? Most people who buy FIFA 12 will have enjoyed FIFA 11 after all.

:CONFUSE: What FIFA hating did i do there? Sorry, i do not understand. I didn't not say i hate the game. I just said certian elemnts too it where badly balanced and presented a rather lobsided, disjointed game in simulation terms but the smooth control of the players and gerenal organic flow and presentation makes the game fun. World Cup 2010 was fun also but flawed.

I lied to you all, i did hate FIFA 11, it was rubbish but i had a lot of fun with it when playing my mates.

Arsenal are crap andare in a mess but do i have to stop watching them because i don't like that they don't do exactly what i want them to do.

Also i'm a concerned a bit about the full game. On previous experience with me for FIFA 10 and pretty much most FIFA games, the short demo in which you get used to the new features and new style the game is augmented always tends to impress!

Just ask Pere ubu and Calcio Cabresee. All loved the FIFA 11 demo but when the full game surfaced they didn't like it's true colours. It could be worse this year. Once you get the full game and play longer matches and get a better scope and feel for the game i can see people getting irritated with the repetivitness, not everyone since i know people who love addictive repetertive games. But it's a concern, EA need to make demo's with 5 mintues matches

I havent tried legacy defending, but if you swtich it on, does the CPU start pressuring?

i can see people getting irritated with the repetitiveness

If EA refurbish custom tactics so that they actually have an effect on how the cpu plays, and if the sliders do actually affect the cpu team, the introduction of tactical variation and error from the cpu could make for a decent 1-player game.

I fear neither will be effective and as you suggest, the repitition will render the game a pointless chore to play.

Too bad that, for all that PES has improved a little this year, it still has glaring flaws which will end up being game-killers too.

I can see this being another year of restricting myself purely to FIFA online, but even that has been gradually getting worse each year.

Must say Fifa 12 is an improvement, mainly because it feels a bit weightier, even though not to my liking, and tactical defending. I felt right at home with TD, as this is how I defend in PES, so nothing new for me here. I customized my buttons like this:

o - tackle and push/pull
x - teammate contain
R2 - Contain

Hey guys,

I am in Afghanistan doing NGO work, so can't download the demo. Could anybody be a dear, and let me know if the following have changed/improved:

- Finesse shots glitch (i.e far too easy to execute and score with)
- Every player having the first touch of Bergkamp
- Player movement (haven't played the PES demo, but animations aside, your players' movement seemed impressive. At least better than FIFA 11)

thanks...

The game is great against humans

Its alot more random with more mistakes and the players feel looser and are more controllable so defending isn't half as frustrating with no more slow control and cumbersome turning. I'm liking the new tackle buttons as well, gone are the days you have to make the ball hit your player to intercept/block a pass when now you can press tackle and the will stick a leg out to try and do so

What settings do you lot have in your controller options for switching and air balls and stuff?

If EA refurbish custom tactics so that they actually have an effect on how the cpu plays, and if the sliders do actually affect the cpu team, the introduction of tactical variation and error from the cpu could make for a decent 1-player game.

I fear neither will be effective and as you suggest, the repitition will render the game a pointless chore to play.

Too bad that, for all that PES has improved a little this year, it still has glaring flaws which will end up being game-killers too.

I can see this being another year of restricting myself purely to FIFA online, but even that has been gradually getting worse each year.

Hmm ok man. i understand where your coming from. :)

I'm sorry to say everyone but i have found one of the biggest flaws in FIFA 12 which will render 1 player quite literally unplayable. Tactical defending is just an 100% epic failure at the moment. Thing is i was enjoying the challenge even with the flaws i thought this was a good game and better than FIFA 11. I think it might still be pretty good vs a mate, and 'playable' online but offline is 100% dead unless hey sort out the contain for the CPU.

I'll release a video demonstrating this as EA would need to apprehend this as soon as possible. :)

Basically the CPU cannot close down players closely enough so after you score and go 1-0 up, you can just sprint around you penalty box will the CPU just shadow you 15 yards away.:CONFUSE: I tested this on world class and legendary btw.

They can fix this by just changing the contain so automatically players are closed down tightly, only a few yards away.

Quite staggering the lack of BASIC common sense by EA.

Basically the CPU cannot close down players closely enough so after you score and go 1-0 up, you can just sprint around you penalty box will the CPU just shadow you 15 yards away.:CONFUSE: I tested this on world class and legendary btw.

They can fix this by just changing the contain so automatically players are closed down tightly, only a few yards away.

You could do this sort of thing in previous versions too. I used to find that if I was winning at half-time against the cpu, in the 2nd half, the cpu would immediately go into god mode, so whenever I attempt to cross the half way line, my passes would always be scripted to be intercepted by the instant reactions of the cpu and they would then just ping perfect passes and script a goal. I sure most people know what I'm talking about.

So, I used to resort to spending the entire 2nd half just passing the ball around my back 4 and defensive midfielders. The cpu would try to close it down but it was perfectly possible to keep the ball away from them. Of course, this very quickly became a pointless chore and the solution was to turn off the game and not play against the cpu again.

I fully expect it to be the same again this year, sliders or no sliders.

Wouldn't that be where the sliders below come in then?

Sprint Speed
Modifies the maximum sprint speed a team can reach.

Acceleration
Modifies the time it takes for a teams player to reach their maximum speed.

Maybe, it's all conjecture at the moment as no-one's been able to see what the sliders actually do. I think if it directly alters how fast the CPU players can turn, say down to a more realistic level, then the AI will fall down like a house of cards. Beyond the sharp turns, long passes to the wing, and passes to the inside channel, it has nothing in the locker. Absolutely nothing. So I doubt EA will allow the sliders to directly affect the way players turn at lightning speed, it's the only way the AI can make any kind of space for itself. But until people get a chance to alter the game using sliders then it's impossible to tell, but I was only commenting on the demo.

You could do this sort of thing in previous versions too. I used to find that if I was winning at half-time against the cpu, in the 2nd half, the cpu would immediately go into god mode, so whenever I attempt to cross the half way line, my passes would always be scripted to be intercepted by the instant reactions of the cpu and they would then just ping perfect passes and script a goal. I sure most people know what I'm talking about.

So, I used to resort to spending the entire 2nd half just passing the ball around my back 4. The cpu would try to close it down but it was perfectly possible to keep the ball away from them. Of course, this very quickly became a pointless chore and the solution was to turn off the game and not play against the cpu again.

I fully expect it to be the same again this year, sliders or no sliders.

Yeah it's true.

I remember FIFA 2003, where you would stand still and all the scripting would just freeze :LOL: The game stopped dead!

What made it worse however was the goal from Roman Weidenfeller (Dortmund Goalkeeper), it has to be seen to be believed. Add in the individuality is just 100% dead, gone, there is none whatsoever in this game! It's really, really easy to get away with this now!

I'm not going to lie, part of me was worried that something bad had happened to Klash. It turns out he is alive.

Klash if you've posted your views on PES 2012 then i'd love to hear them. I'll try to search through to see if you have posted already but i haven't been on here that much recently and everything is moving fast on these boards.

Last edited:

I guess they won't fix it because they never meant for you to play it that way.
If you want a real simulation game, then start by simulating it yourself!
I have NEVER, NEVER EVER, seen a real match in which the team in advantage will play the ball from the keeper to the defender, defender to defender, and back again to the keeper. That's not real man. EA don't necessarily need to be looking for exploits all the time. And you shouldn't exploit the game like that either.

Also i'm a concerned a bit about the full game. On previous experience with me for FIFA 10 and pretty much most FIFA games, the short demo in which you get used to the new features and new style the game is augmented always tends to impress!

Just ask Pere ubu and Calcio Cabresee. All loved the FIFA 11 demo but when the full game surfaced they didn't like it's true colours. It could be worse this year. Once you get the full game and play longer matches and get a better scope and feel for the game i can see people getting irritated with the repetivitness, not everyone since i know people who love addictive repetertive games. But it's a concern, EA need to make demo's with 5 mintues matches

Yeah, it could be much worse. Or it could be a lot better than previous years. Why so pesimistic?.

This year everyone is going to have to find a personal style to play the game. It won't be just about passing the ball to Walcott, run down the sideline and then pass the ball back to Van Persie. Sometimes you really will need to send good long balls when the AI defense is closed in the back.

This year the game will be hard... isn't that what 90% of you were asking for?. Come on.

apparently clubs AI is world class not sure what fifa 11 was

Not sure how that fits with the underrated AI players (to promote people to play with 11).

Could be World class AI but 65 stats slow turning midget defenders, which would make no difference.

Hopefully not, and its decent stats for players with decent AI.. Would be very happy if that's the case.

Having 11 could maybe earn that team more points for a win, but the crippling AI players last year made it unplayable.

Supposedly i will start playing on saturday thr full game. Cant wait for ut. I hate the fact all my points drop to zero on friday...they should just do the world release. Season package 24.00 before the game is really harsh.

I have NEVER, NEVER EVER, seen a real match in which the team in advantage will play the ball from the keeper to the defender, defender to defender, and back again to the keeper. That's not real man. EA don't necessarily need to be looking for exploits all the time. And you shouldn't exploit the game like that either.
They would if the opposite team does not pressure them. What Klashman says is correct, when the PC team is down and you are just keeping possession they should be hounding, specially a team like Barca,

Yeah, it could be much worse. Or it could be a lot better than previous years. Why so pesimistic?.

This year everyone is going to have to find a personal style to play the game. It won't be just about passing the ball to Walcott, run down the sideline and then pass the ball back to Van Persie. Sometimes you really will need to send good long balls when the AI defense is closed in the back.

This year the game will be hard... isn't that what 90% of you were asking for?. Come on.

Keegan? is that you from Soccer Gaming? Btw I'm uploading the video now so you can see how glaring the bug is and just how incredibly the other flaws empower it.

I have NEVER, NEVER EVER, seen a real match in which the team in advantage will play the ball from the keeper to the defender, defender to defender, and back again to the keeper.

I take it you've never seen Scotland play?

Back
Top Bottom