FIFA 12 Demo impressions

I tweeted Romily Broad regarding the defensive bug where you can walk up and down vertically and not be challenged by the AI. His repsonse was he will look iton it but not really a bug as why would you want to do that. I suppose he has a point as you are really only cheating the game. I won't be doing it as Id get no satisfaction from it.

On another note I wish people would calm down with the whole stats thing. I played PES again last night for the "glorious AI". Whilst the have good movement for me the game is ridiculously point and pass on Top Player mode there is virtually no skill required. I have never played PES properly for a couple of years yet on top player mode it is so easy to score

As an example I picked the ball up in midfield turned and press the chip pass without even thinking it about it. It lands perfectly for my forward running onto it into the box. I dont even aim and press shoot and it more or less volleys it automatically into the top corner. How on earth do people get satisfaction and a sense of achievement from that.

FIFA isn't perfect by any means but comparing bugs and amount of freedom (at time PES overrides your pass choice on many occasions even on 0 bar) its FIFA all the way

I've gone back to Sensible World of Soccer.

Awesome!

If that was released today in the modern world of gamers moaning about inertia and the (in)accuracy of defending and dribbling, it wouldn't stand a chance. Those nets didn't even move, either. Meh.

Goal scoring superstar hero, nevertheless. In it's day, a truly brilliant game of football.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1195233p1.html

IGN actually posted something that may be seen as being against FIFA.

Big day.

I wonder if their review will still completely ignore all these issues though, and we will be met with claims that the impact engine is the greatest thing ever added to any sports game ever.

I scrolled down too far and didnt notice the article at all... just 4 boxes bobbing up and down...:-)

I haven't had the chance to play a lot with the demo (PS3 user)but my general perception is positive. However, the CM will determine my final opinion. Basically, this is the main reason why I am purchasing the product.

I won't be entering into philosophical discussions regarding the type of game as everyone has a different taste. My own personal preference has always been realism versus arcade, where FIFA series provided me a better experience on that front - I will be playing the PES demo too, as usual.

So far, FIFA 12 introduces interesting changes, such as the new defensive mode, a bit awkward to start with but felt natural after a few minutes, as I have always liked tactical approaches to the game rather than constant double pressure.

The Impact Engine, although interesting and promising, it is under my perspective ludicrous, as it reveals an unfinished product (again) that demotes the quality of the entire game when collision blunders happen on the pitch for no apparent reason.

The lack of "I" it is another item that I would like to flag as lacks of realism, the same happens with players with low attributes (e.g. dribbling) changing them position (e.g. defender becomes striker) becoming very proficient in their new role on the pitch.

Awaiting for CM and hoping the glitch regarding youth progress of FIFA 11 has been sorted out and nothing else has become damaged because of it.

By the way, the track list for FIFA 12 has been announced:

Alex Metric & Steve Angello – 'Open Your Eyes'
All Mankind – 'Break The Spell'
Architecture In Helsinki – 'Escapee'
Bloco Bleque/Gabriel O Pensador – 'So Tem Jogador'
Chase & Status – 'No Problem'
Crystal Castles feat. Robert Smith – 'Not In Love'
CSS – 'Hits Me Like A Rock'
Cut Copy – 'Where I'm Going'
Digitalism – 'Circles'
DJ Raff – 'Latino & Proud'
El Guincho – 'Bombay (Fresh Touch Dub Mix)'
Empresarios – 'Sabor Tropical'
Foster The People – 'Call It What You Want'
Givers – 'Up Up Up'
Glasvegas – 'The World Is Yours'
Graffiti6 – 'Stare Into The Sun'
Grouplove – 'Colours (Captain Cutz Remix)'
Japanese Popstars – 'Let Go'
Kasabian – 'Switchblade Smiles'
La Vida Boheme – 'El Buen Salvaje'
Little Dragon – 'NightLight'
Macaco – 'Una Sola Voz'
Marteria/Yasha – 'Verstrahlt'
Monarchy – 'The Phoenix Alive (Kris Menace Remix)'
Pint Shot Riot – 'Twisted Soul'
Portugal. The Man – 'Got It All (This Can't Be Living Now)'
Rock Mafia – 'The Big Bang'
Spank Rock – 'Energy'
The Chain Gang Of 1974 – 'Hold On'
The Hives – 'Thousand Answers'
The Medics – 'City'
The Naked & Famous – 'Punching In A Dream'
The Strokes – 'Machu Picchu'
The Ting Tings – 'Hands'
The Vaccines – 'Wreckin' Bar (Ra Ra Ra)'
Thievery Corporation – 'Stargazer'
Tittsworth & Alvin Risk/Maluca – 'La Campana'
TV On The Radio – 'Will Do'
Tying Tiffany – 'Drownin' d.

I haven't had the chance to play a lot with the demo (PS3 user)but my general perception is positive. However, the CM will determine my final opinion. Basically, this is the main reason why I am purchasing the product.

I won't be entering into philosophical discussions regarding the type of game as everyone has a different taste. My own personal preference has always been realism versus arcade, where FIFA series provided me a better experience on that front - I will be playing the PES demo too, as usual.

So far, FIFA 12 introduces interesting changes, such as the new defensive mode, a bit awkward to start with but felt natural after a few minutes, as I have always liked tactical approaches to the game rather than constant double pressure.

The Impact Engine, although interesting and promising, it is under my perspective ludicrous, as it reveals an unfinished product (again) that demotes the quality of the entire game when collision blunders happen on the pitch for no apparent reason.

The lack of "I" it is another item that I would like to flag as lacks of realism, the same happens with players with low attributes (e.g. dribbling) changing them position (e.g. defender becomes striker) becoming very proficient in their new role on the pitch.

Awaiting for CM and hoping the glitch regarding youth progress of FIFA 11 has been sorted out and nothing else has become damaged because of it.

Digitalism – 'Circles'
Givers – 'Up Up Up'
Macaco – 'Una Sola Voz'
Spank Rock – 'Energy'
The Medics – 'City'
The Ting Tings – 'Hands'

I tweeted Romily Broad regarding the defensive bug where you can walk up and down vertically and not be challenged by the AI. His repsonse was he will look iton it but not really a bug as why would you want to do that. I suppose he has a point as you are really only cheating the game. I won't be doing it as Id get no satisfaction from it.

On another note I wish people would calm down with the whole stats thing. I played PES again last night for the "glorious AI". Whilst the have good movement for me the game is ridiculously point and pass on Top Player mode there is virtually no skill required. I have never played PES properly for a couple of years yet on top player mode it is so easy to score

As an example I picked the ball up in midfield turned and press the chip pass without even thinking it about it. It lands perfectly for my forward running onto it into the box. I dont even aim and press shoot and it more or less volleys it automatically into the top corner. How on earth do people get satisfaction and a sense of achievement from that.

FIFA isn't perfect by any means but comparing bugs and amount of freedom (at time PES overrides your pass choice on many occasions even on 0 bar) its FIFA all the way

Exactly! I'm not sure how people play PES. I don't think I'll touch it until they give the player as much freedom with the ball as FIFA does. Right now, PES in some ways feels like playing FIFA 99. It was a great game at the time, but they year is 2011 not 1998 FFS!

Anyway, to all those complaining about 3 minute halves and wondering how it would feel to play longer games - just get the PC demo, which is graphically superior as well, and edit the rna.ini file. You can set up 6 or 10 minute halves, change the weather to rain or snow and other cool stuff. Of course, you have to have a computer which was made in the last 5 or so years to play the game on PC, but I'm sure most people do have a PC that's more than capable playing FIFA in this day and age. It's not Crysis :)

I have to say that FIFA is moving in the right direction. I think FIFA 11 was sort of FIFA 10.5. With FIFA 12 I can actually call it FIFA 12.

Tactical Defending is a great addition. It's not so easy to grasp at first (for a day or two), but after that it starts to feel rewarding. For the first time in a football game I'm having almost as much fun defending as I am attacking. That's saying something. It may not be perfect, but it sure as hell beats anything we've seen before.

Precision dribbling is a nice feature, but doesn't really have a huge gameplay effect. Although it is nice to be able to dribble past defenders with the use of only the left stick with Messi,Silva, etc.

The Impact Engine has a great promise, but right now it's riddled with bugs. I hope they get it sorted out for the final release. It has a potential to make the game that much more life-like, but right now its more of a laughing stock and a distraction rather than anything else. I think it needed another year in the "oven" to realize its full potential. One nice thing about it though is the effect it has on player injuries. That was something that was not really a part of FIFA before and now I'm glad that they are back and much much better. If they added trainers coming out on the pitch or a cart getting a player off the pitch that would be top class. I guess they'll probably have something like than in a few years.

Other than that FIFA did add a few nice little touches like quick throw ins, drop balls, better graphics (on PC), better camera, players turning their heads to see what's going on around them and waving their hands in frustration when they feel the ref cheated them, etc, etc.

Oh yeah, I think this year I can feel the "Personality +" feature from FIFA 11 is actually in the game and affecting it. You can definitely tell there is an effect of player's stats on what he can do with and without the ball. Dribbling, tackles, running, jumping, stamina, speed, acceleration, tactical awareness, positioning, vision, all of these stats can be "felt" if you're paying attention. Sometimes, I would even go into the "Squad" menu to check out the stats of a certain player to make sure the action he performed matched the stats and it always did.

Of course there are bugs, and glitches, and other annoyances with FIFA, but it's moving in the right direction. Can't wait for the 27th! I might even buy the season ticket and play it on the consoles for the weekend before properly enjoying it on PC next week.

Stats should work though. Should they not? I tried the PES Demo and I liked it a bit, but it was, to me like FIFA 10. Always two defenders running at you full speed. Yes there were nice things but there were a lot of bad things (Doesn't seem different to the old games!)

I just want a 70 passer to be less effective than a 90+. I should be changing my play style for the team/players I'm using to be most effective.

Personally I feel as if there's been a noticeable improvement in individuality this year. Even when I replaced all the Dortmund starters with the reserves, I still noticed when I was controlling a good dribbler compared with a CDM or CB. Same with passing and shooting.

I think individuality is better represented than ever on an individual level in FIFA, and the biggest issue is the generic feel between teams, not players.

Yea you notice good/bad, but I don't feel like I notice terrible/bad/okay/good/great/amazing if you know what I mean. There's just good or bad.

I disagree. When it comes to dribbling, for example:

Messi/Iniesta - amazing
Kagawa/Gotze - great
Busquets/Gundogan - good
Bender/Cheyrou - okay
Nesta/Hummels - bad
?? - terrible

Like I said, I'm finding the individuality of stats more pronounced than ever.

On a another play through I noticed a difference between Silva and Johnson. But I don't know I'm having trouble spotting individuality for the most part. There is some, but it seems to be very little, or I'm jaded and looking for the worst haha.

On a another play through I noticed a difference between Silva and Johnson. But I don't know I'm having trouble spotting individuality for the most part. There is some, but it seems to be very little, or I'm jaded and looking for the worst haha.

It's never going to be HUGELY obvious unless the LOD tech improves next gen. The individuality will be felt when you try and make a quick turn to beat a guy with silva or try and thread a throughpass. You see things happen contextually. For instance with robinho i managed to turn without use of any tricks and he did a great feint and flicked the ball inside the defender. I think with longer halves we'll see more as we have more time attacking rather than trying to block off CPU runs in this demo lol.

BTW I've noticed that hitting contain near a player GREAT changes the decisions of the CPU. They tend to want to pass the ball if you hit contain. Blocking clear passing lanes is a must too but it's bloody hard. I like this cause it keeps you thinking the whole game. One mistake and it's a goal.

EA have massive balls if they release a game like this. Not sure their community will appreciate this level of defending. Another problem is the player animations for straffing and stopping need to be redone to fit the amount of times you have to stop/start/contain/strafe. Players look a little drunk at times.

I really want EA to improve the effects of stats on players though. Maybe give each stat it's own set of animations. Someone with sick passing should have great paced, passing with a calm and controlled animation. Not really feeling that at the mo. Maybe i'm not looking close enough or it happens too infrequently.

Another BTW, They definitely gave more errror to semi this year if you aren't spot on. I've been misplacing passes i'd normally not in FIFa11. It's great though cause it's led to more unpredictability. I have semi crossing too.

Personally I feel as if there's been a noticeable improvement in individuality this year. Even when I replaced all the Dortmund starters with the reserves, I still noticed when I was controlling a good dribbler compared with a CDM or CB. Same with passing and shooting.

I think individuality is better represented than ever on an individual level in FIFA, and the biggest issue is the generic feel between teams, not players.

Hm...I'm not sure I agree. I think teams do play a bit differently from one another. For example, whenever I play Marseille, the team ALWAYS tries to find Valbuena with a pass on his flank and then let him use his creativity and figure out what to do next: cross, try to cut inside the box, or find someone with a pass outside the area for a shot. Usually all their attacks develop from his right side and I rarely see them use their left flank. However, when I play Milan, they've got Seedorf and Boateng in the middle, so they try to develop their attacks through the middle and then distribute the ball to Pato and Ibrahimovic from there, while also ocassionaly utilizing Taiwo to cross the ball in for Ibra's header. Barca plays possession football having lots of possession outside of the box, trying to find an opening for a shot or a pass or just gives the ball to Messi and let him do his thing - the little genius always finds a way to score if he ends up with the ball near my goal.

Anyway, that's what I've been able to pick up by playing about 60-70 games. I think the differences between teams are noticeable and some of the same tactics can be used by many teams, since all the teams in the demo are of approximately same skill level. It's not like you're playing a lower division team vs Barca or something. Then I'd assume focus would be made on containing Barca and not letting them get shots away or get inside the area. We'll see when the full version comes around if that's how these lower ranked teams will play or not.

Dont know if you can do it on the demo but best way to analyse it is to let the computer play against each other and see how they play out the game. If you didn't know a team's strengths already (per the game not per real life) it might help you refine your gamestyle when using that team. Some people just play the game the same with whichever team they have.

I also noticed the semi pass setting has more error but for semi crossing it's terrible - it very rarely finds your player's head. Manual confuses the CPU I think :P Best setting to use ;)

For some reason the CPU puts a cross in and a player I'm NOT controlling pulls back 2 yards and gives the striker a free header or tap in. WTF EA ??

Digitalism – 'Circles'
Givers – 'Up Up Up'
Macaco – 'Una Sola Voz'
Spank Rock – 'Energy'
The Medics – 'City'
The Ting Tings – 'Hands'

hahaha my band (myfiction.net) played with both 'All Mankind' and 'Pintshot riot' in LA a couple of months ago for MUSEXPO. The lads from PAR are proper geezers :D they've landed a couple of tracks on FIFA over the years!!

fifa12-o.gif

Downloaded the PC demo just now after some friends convinced this is a much better FIFA than we've had in recent years. Can't be arsed to play three minute halves on PS3, hence me opting to download the PC version. Found out you have to use a supported controller or else the game just gives you a crashdump, nice going EA. Can't get my dualshock to work with MotioninJoy, tried an old PS2-style USB controller which didn't work either. Needless to say I'm very annoyed, I fear the PS3 demo might skew my opinion with the ridiculously short game time.

Downloaded the PC demo just now after some friends convinced this is a much better FIFA than we've had in recent years. Can't be arsed to play three minute halves on PS3, hence me opting to download the PC version. Found out you have to use a supported controller or else the game just gives you a crashdump, nice going EA. .

I was wondering why the demo kept crashing. Jeez that's ridiculous.

I've tried a program made by Hrvoje Bajlo which didn't work for me, and I tried modifying my buttondata.ini which didn't work either. I guess I'll be stuck with 3-minute halves on the PS3 for now.

I've tried a program made by Hrvoje Bajlo which didn't work for me, and I tried modifying my buttondata.ini which didn't work either. I guess I'll be stuck with 3-minute halves on the PS3 for now.

Got it to work now by using MotioninJoy to register my dualshock as an Xbox 360 controller. Looking forward to giving this a proper go when I get home later today.

Back
Top Bottom