FIFA 12 Demo impressions

Downloaded the PC demo just now after some friends convinced this is a much better FIFA than we've had in recent years. Can't be arsed to play three minute halves on PS3, hence me opting to download the PC version. Found out you have to use a supported controller or else the game just gives you a crashdump, nice going EA. Can't get my dualshock to work with MotioninJoy, tried an old PS2-style USB controller which didn't work either. Needless to say I'm very annoyed, I fear the PS3 demo might skew my opinion with the ridiculously short game time.

I was wondering why the demo kept crashing. Jeez that's ridiculous.

Indeed, it is ridiculous.
However there are a number of tools and workarounds avilable in many boards like this one to fix this and use any controller. You just have to be bothered enough to look for it instead of blaming EA all the time.

You just have to be bothered enough to look for it instead of blaming EA all the time.

Not really, a company like EA shouldn't have such stupid bugs in there to begin with. If it was an indie company, maybe they'd get a pass. But EA aren't exactly indie with limited experience in games.

It's never going to be HUGELY obvious unless the LOD tech improves next gen. The individuality will be felt when you try and make a quick turn to beat a guy with silva or try and thread a throughpass. You see things happen contextually. For instance with robinho i managed to turn without use of any tricks and he did a great feint and flicked the ball inside the defender. I think with longer halves we'll see more as we have more time attacking rather than trying to block off CPU runs in this demo lol.

BTW I've noticed that hitting contain near a player GREAT changes the decisions of the CPU. They tend to want to pass the ball if you hit contain. Blocking clear passing lanes is a must too but it's bloody hard. I like this cause it keeps you thinking the whole game. One mistake and it's a goal.

EA have massive balls if they release a game like this. Not sure their community will appreciate this level of defending. Another problem is the player animations for straffing and stopping need to be redone to fit the amount of times you have to stop/start/contain/strafe. Players look a little drunk at times.

I really want EA to improve the effects of stats on players though. Maybe give each stat it's own set of animations. Someone with sick passing should have great paced, passing with a calm and controlled animation. Not really feeling that at the mo. Maybe i'm not looking close enough or it happens too infrequently.

Another BTW, They definitely gave more errror to semi this year if you aren't spot on. I've been misplacing passes i'd normally not in FIFa11. It's great though cause it's led to more unpredictability. I have semi crossing too.

Agree with it all. And I notice the semi error also. I haven't given manual a go (Playing it on 360) since I don't have that much time with it.

I love the contextual animations, which give some players individuality, but I just still feel like it's lacking. I notice some stuff (passing, dribbling, shooting). But say on defense, it seems all of my players are the same speed. Tackling is sometimes way off as well.
I may be exaggerating but it all seems a bit off, still probably buying this as I am enjoying it and really looking forward to CM, and maybe clubs with like-minded people.

although I much prefer PES these days, I have to admit that I'm really enjoying the shooting on semi in the FIFA demo. It feels very natural and it's nice to be able to get some real oomph on a shot inside the box. The semi shooting seems more manual than in recent iterations and i can pretty much put the ball anywhere in the goal.

I also love that its far easier to round the goalie.

Although I cant see me buying FIFA this year I'll probably rent it out and give it a bash.

Does anyone know if there is likely to be a slider to control passing speed? It's just so slow and there is no zip or sharpness to the passing game. This is one of my main problems with the game.

It would be nice to see the various sliders used by the cpu team as an on-screen graphic. That way, we can see the exact moment when the AI engine moves the passing and shooting speed and accuracy of the cpu team to maximum when it goes into god mode and scripts its goals.

It would be very satisfying to then be able to immediately move the cpu's sliders back to their starting position, thus preventing the cpu from cheating quite so much.

I suspect that by exposing the sliders, EA have revealed the tools by which they control the ebb and flow of a match.

Last edited:
Not really, a company like EA shouldn't have such stupid bugs in there to begin with. If it was an indie company, maybe they'd get a pass. But EA aren't exactly indie with limited experience in games.

I see what you mean and you are right.

What I'm saying is: You could get all angry and spread all the hate you want towards EA if there was no way to get your controller working and the game not crashing, but since there is a way to fix it and it's on these very same boards you visit frequently, then you could at least take a look, fix your problem and enjoy the game.

Lots of software from the biggest companies have several bugs for different people, and then there's some other people who can run it perfectly. Companies like Sony, for instance. It's impossible to release something 100% bug-free. They can only narrow it down so much. Specially if it's a demo, it's meant to have bugs.

Feels like I keep repeating myself ;)

But first half of me as Barca v Milan ... every single Milan attack in the first half? Down the wing. Every. Single. Attack.

Second half? All but one attack down the wing. Boateng constantly with the ball on the wing when the CPU had it.

I don't understand why the CPU seems to take this approach for every single game I play, yet some here are adamant that it doesn't play like this with them. Makes no sense to me.

Rematch? First two attacks so far? Down the right wing. Third attack down the left wing. Middle of the pitch wouldn't have any scuff marks if the pitch could show them, probably in perfect condition.

Fourth attack, down the right wing.

Fifth attack, tackled me in the middle of the pitch and counter was on so down the middle for a change.

Sixth attack, down the left wing.

Seventh attack, down the left wing.

Turned it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is so depressing. I played two 8 mins matches and all I had to do was pass pass pass and rarely found a way through while the CPU AI launched a few counter attacks an scored! Moreover, Barca doesn't pressure AT ALL!

This game is so depressing. I played two 8 mins matches and all I had to do was pass pass pass and rarely found a way through while the CPU AI launched a few counter attacks an scored! Moreover, Barca doesn't pressure AT ALL!

+1.

Although, somehow I still love FIFA 12 it does get frustrating. It's got a certain charm.

But first half of me as Barca v Milan ... every single Milan attack in the first half? Down the wing. Every. Single. Attack.

Second half? All but one attack down the wing. Boateng constantly with the ball on the wing when the CPU had it.

I don't understand why the CPU seems to take this approach for every single game I play, yet some here are adamant that it doesn't play like this with them. Makes no sense to me.

Rematch? First two attacks so far? Down the right wing. Third attack down the left wing. Middle of the pitch wouldn't have any scuff marks if the pitch could show them, probably in perfect condition.

Fifth attack, tackled me in the middle of the pitch and counter was on so down the middle for a change.

Turned it off.

Cant say Ive noticed that much. Ive seen loads of attacks where the CPU comes down the middle. Just like Ive seen the AI shoot from outside the area, 5 times in one game yesterday, but apparently that never happens either for some people. Wish I had recorded the 35 yard screamer i conceded yesterday in the last few minutes

Turned it off.

a) the attacking AI is better in the retail code. Trust me.

b) attacking down the wings is basically football 101 - until you deny the space, all teams will tend to seek the path of least resistance, which is the wings. When you learn to shut down the wings, you will see plenty of variety.

I'll admit, shutting down the wings isn't the easiest thing to do with the new defending system but it is possible.

mfm: yeh i was coming here to say that I shut the wings down and get them cutting in and having shots and rolling through-balls.

It's not perfect, but it's fun.

Cant say Ive noticed that much. Ive seen loads of attacks where the CPU comes down the middle. Just like Ive seen the AI shoot from outside the area, 5 times in one game yesterday, but apparently that never happens either for some people. Wish I had recorded the 35 yard screamer i conceded yesterday in the last few minutes

Yeah I've copped a few crackers outside the box/volleys. A lot of goals from the wings too. I don't mind them trying but I think their conversion rate from crosses compared to the human player even being able to get a head on the ball is not balanced right.

Mind you, that guy who had 6 or 7 rematches - well if you keep playing the same team, chances are they will play the same way lol. You do have to cut off their passing lanes out wide but they skin you a bit too easily when you give them half a yard of space to play a through ball.

I have to agree with Dags on this one, out of all the games I had played (this was a fair while ago, when the demo's originally launched, haven't played neither PES or Fifa demo in a while) but I couldn't help but notice, even while defending well, they attempted to hit the wings and look for the ball in, be it on the floor or in the air.

If I was blocking they would pass back down the line to try it again. I had on odd occasions the attack down the middle and a long shot just outside the box, but nothing major or anywhere further, but even those efforts were scarce.

I just assumed it would happen so defending got a bit easier, attacking is a whole new story. The defenders are like they are from a entirely different game compared to my own, mine struggle to keep up with runs down the wing and the consistent turning the computer do, but as soon as I turn with a bit of pace that should unbalance the defender... nooooo it doesn't, which is fairly annoying.

Although I left my last 2 games with a 1-0 win and a 2-0 win I believe playing as Barca vs Milan, I scored similar goals and for some reason I find the RB shot to be considerably better and more dangerous than any other shot, it was really accurate and quite powerful, often curving and dipping hitting the corners or posts/bar from all types of angles if on the good foot. But like I said this is some after thoughts from a while ago and maybe I say that as I can remember those efforts more than the fails.

Been working alot, but now got 8 days off so will get some games under the belt and impressions might change.

Btw I had been playing on the experienced mode what ever difficulty that is default on.

Much better with longer halves. Too early to tell regarding the sliders.

Cheers mate. Would be interesting to play a game as CPU vs CPU and see how they attack. If it's still down the wing and cross.

Mainly it was passing speed and player runs. You hopefully can notice that after 1 game. If not, there's something wrong :P

So who's getting that EA season ticket pass thing to get the game a few days early? I think Scorpio is. Anyone else? Is it 24th or 23rd for those in North America?

Nice one Bruno.

Let me know how it goes. Wonder how long it'll take you to download... maybe 4-5 hours?!

There's one little thing I'd like you or Scorpio or whoever gets the game early to check if you don't mind and report back. Not that I'm optimistic about it but one can hope! In FIFA11, I find it silly how if you choose to do an exhibition Be a Pro match, you can only have ONE controller enabled and if you try to play with a friend on same team or on other team, the mode quickly tells you "Sorry. This is a 1-player mode Only". And yet oddly enough, In CM mode as a 'player' let's say you pick Xavi but then you can also have a friend play as a team-mate or as an opposition player! Wonder if it's still the same....

Depressing :CONFUSE:, it would be funny if one wants to play a depressing game.. :SMUG:

This game is so depressing...while the CPU AI launched a few counter attacks an scored! Moreover, Barca doesn't pressure AT ALL!

I can feel with you!

In general I really like the approach of a new tactical defending. But in practice it's still frustrating.

I've changed the button layout to improve my defending.
Now I can at least intercept passes and force pass errors.

However I still don't get into one-on-ones, the CPU always turns its circles, whereas when I'm in attack the CPU steals the ball as soon as a pass is received. It seems defenders of AI controlled teams cover the attackers much closer than my defenders.

AI defenders can catch up my strikers easily, but once an AI attacker is past my defender there is no chance to get him.

semi passing has too much error, too. I was used to play manual in FIFA11, however I've switched to semi some time ago.

However I still don't get into one-on-ones, the CPU always turns its circles, whereas when I'm in attack the CPU steals the ball as soon as a pass is received. It seems defenders of AI controlled teams cover the attackers much closer than my defenders.

AI defenders can catch up my strikers easily, but once an AI attacker is past my defender there is no chance to get him.

semi passing has too much error, too. I was used to play manual in FIFA11, however I've switched to semi some time ago.
I have the same problems too. However, when it comes to one-on-ones your best way is to jockey and when there is a defender around, try to select the player who would run BEHIND the attacking AI player so that he can't do those circles on you. The thing is that when you double pressure from the front the AI always turns back and the second defender never goes to cover the back, only goes to the front, so you have to switch your defender and cover the back yourself.

Back
Top Bottom