FIFA 10 360/PS3 Demo Feedback + Videos

I use the closecontrol button (r2 in my config.) whenever I get the ball. Enables you to turn quicker which is really effective when playing with Xavi in the demo. Also use the l1, traps the ball and turns your player towards the opp. goal, both really handy. As the pressure is so high you can just quickly adjust your directiona and keep possesion with those buttons. Don't use it for tricks though, just a nudge of the ball past a defender and then a tap of sprint.

My Fifa10 Demo review.

As you know, I've been playing the shit out the demo. Here's what I think. (Deliberately not going to mention the other game too much).

+ Pitch freedom.

The pitch has been opened up due to the use of better ball physics and closer control over the ball and players. You now have a sense that you can do anything within reason on the pitch. You have most of the tools to do so. Such as..

+ Dribbling.

This has improved the most. In Fifa09 you simple could not aim for a GAP and dribble though it. Now there are a number of ways you can attack space.

You can dribble using only the "LS" and if you time it right you can beat players just shifting the ball.

You can slow dribble with LT/L2 and then burst into the gap with RT/R2.

You can hold LT/L2 & RT/R2 together and dribble laterally or switch feet to send the defender the wrong way with timing, finding space or just use it to confound the defender until your attackers get some space.

You can finally use RT/R2 to put your foot on the ball and wait for help or turn the defender. Ibrahimovic is a master at this in the demo. I've seen him nutmeg defenders from this position and with a combination of the RS you can roll the ball out of harms way. Brilliant.

+ Manual > Assisted

If you are one of those afraid to touch manual, then don't be.... well apart from passing. Put that on semi. Everything else on manual because with the new physics and 360 dribbling you will feel so much more in control of proceedings. Try anything and go anywhere you want. Not just a catchphrase, you actually can.

+ Physics

Whether it be ball physics or player physics there's definitely a more tangible feel to the game this year. Exemplified by the rubber ripping off my LS during this demo :LOL:. The ball moves very realistically (check the vids in my sig). It clips and bobbles off of anything and everything in close quarters and it hovers over the defense with backspin with a Xavi chipped through-ball and it cruises it's way across the skies with a Schweinsteiger switch from one flank to another. Wicked.

Players tangle and hustle for the ball now in a more realistic way. These interchanges can last for ages too! What I like is that there's a mechanic (a mini-game if you will) during these interchanges. Even with a tiny player, if he's skilled he can hold his own against the bullies with a well timed press of LT/L2 and a movement away with the LS to control the ball away from the big lugs of the game. You just have to remember to get infront of someone before jamming on LT/L2 or you'll concede a foul.

+ Ball striking

You can hit the ball in a number of ways in the demo. From shooting to switching the ball to crossing. It's all been improved over Fifa09.

Shooting as you know has more omph™ but as do cross-field passes. I could barely believe it when I looked down at the radar when in possession of Abidal and saw Messi making movements on the opposite flank, I hit a diagonal ball into the space behind their left back and Messi knocked it down with his head into his path (with RS). Amazing and very lifelike. The ball made a very deliberate journey too, with serious pace.

Not much you haven't heard before but I'm enjoying the new physics of the ball being struck.

+ Heading

Heading has been improved in general. It's not a revolution or anything but it's clearly been looked at. Last night I scored a nice one with Gomes of Bayern. A nice whipped-in cross was met nicely by the lanky German with the Brazilian name. In off the floor too!

+ Goals

Goals Goals Goals. One criticism of 09 was that it got too samey the way the balls fell into the back of the net. Not so with Fifa10 thusfar. The goals are coming from everywhere! Long and short range. Freekicks etc Sometimes even corner kicks!! Definitely a good feeling when you finish some great passing with a thump.

+ Refs

Real time bookings are a God-sent. They keep you in the action of the game whereas previously it felt so detached to go to a cut scene (ahem goal replays... ahem). The quick freekicks add to the involvement too. Refs allow play on in a much, much better way. The flow of the game is awesome at time with minimum stoppages. :BRMM:

+ Goal Keepers

I've seen some amazing saves in the demo and some realistic gafs too. I've seen double saves, shot stopping and finger-tip saves. The animations look stellar too.

Time for the negatives.

- Goal Keepers

You know it. I know it. One vs One. Your keeper steams out like a c*nt and flaps at air as the striker chips him. Needs to be gone from the final version. It can be better if you double tap Y/TRIANGLE but I shouldn't have to do that and I normally can't even see the GK on screen as I'm doing that.

Should be fixed in the final version.

- Headers

More oomph™ and consistency please.

Doubtful to be fixed in the final version.

- Presentation

From kits to pitch intros to celebrations to player faces to player models, Konami has EA beat this year. Hands down. This could be the difference in the mystical "soul" that PES fans preach of.

I'd also like to see individual animations for skilled dribble, running, heading, dribbling, off the ball and shooting(short and long range) for the top players for Fifa11. It would add a much needed personality to the title.

Not that it's not on it's way there already though. Controlling Ibrahimovic and Xavi for instance is notably different. One is lumbering and tricky while the other is nimble and tricky. All we need is a visual aid to accompany that feeling now.

EA are nearly there. If they listen to the fans they could deliver in 11. But for now, this looks like it'll be a great game

oomph™ is a registered trademark of Chris Davies. :)

Last edited:
I LOVE skilled dribbling :D :BOP:

Chris was right when he said about it after the Emirates visit, the feeling you get when beating a player with it is great!

I REALLY can't wait for the full game :)

My Fifa10 Demo review.

As you know, I've been playing the shit out the demo. Here's what I think. (Deliberately not going to mention the other game too much).

+ Pitch freedom.

The pitch has been opened up due to the use of better ball physics and closer control over the ball and players. You now have a sense that you can do anything within reason on the pitch. You have most of the tools to do so. Such as..

+ Dribbling.

This has improved the most. In Fifa09 you simple could not aim for a GAP and dribble though it. Now there are a number of ways you can attack space.

You can dribble using only the "LS" and if you time it right you can beat players just shifting the ball.

You can slow dribble with LT/L2 and then burst into the gap with RT/R2.

You can hold LT/L2 & RT/R2 together and dribble laterally or switch feet to send the defender the wrong way with timing, finding space or just use it to confound the defender until your attackers get some space.

You can finally use RT/R2 to put your foot on the ball and wait for help or turn the defender. Ibrahimovic is a master at this in the demo. I've seen him nutmeg defenders from this position and with a combination of the RS you can roll the ball out of harms way. Brilliant.

+ Physics

Whether it be ball physics or player physics there's definitely a more tangible feel to the game this year. Exemplified by the rubber ripping off my LS during this demo :LOL:. The ball moves very realistically (check the vids in my sig). It clips and bobbles off of anything and everything in close quarters and it hovers over the defense with backspin with a Xavi chipped through-ball and it cruises it's way across the skies with a Schweinsteiger switch from one flank to another. Wicked.

Players tangle and hustle for the ball now in a more realistic way. These interchanges can last for ages too! What I like is that there's a mechanic (a mini-game if you will) during these interchanges. Even with a tiny player, if he's skilled he can hold his own against the bullies with a well timed press of LT/L2 and a movement away with the LS to control the ball away from the big lugs of the game. You just have to remember to get infront of someone before jamming on LT/L2 or you'll concede a foul.

+ Ball striking

You can hit the ball in a number of ways in the demo. From shooting to switching the ball to crossing. It's all been improved over Fifa09.

Shooting as you know has more omph™ but as do cross-field passes. I could barely believe it when I looked down at the radar when in possession of Abidal and saw Messi making movements on the opposite flank, I hit a diagonal ball into the space behind their left back and Messi knocked it down with his head into his path (with RS). Amazing and very lifelike. The ball made a very deliberate journey too, with serious pace.

Not much you haven't heard before but I'm enjoying the new physics of the ball being struck.

+ Heading

Heading has been improved in general. It's not a revolution or anything but it's cearly been looked at. Last night I scored a nice one with Gomes of Bayern. A nice whipped-in cross was met nicely by the lanky German with the Brazilian name. In off the floor too!

+ Goals

Goals Goals Goals. One criticism of 09 was that it got too samey the way the balls fell into the back of the net. Not so with Fifa10 thusfar. The goals are coming from everywhere! Long and short range. Freekicks etc Sometimes even corner kicks!! Definitely a good feeling when you finish some great passing with a thump.

+ Refs

Real time bookings are a God-sent. They keep you in the action of the game whereas previously it felt so detached to go to a cut scene (ahem goal replays... ahem). The quick freekicks add to the involvement too. Refs allow play on in a much, much better way. The flow of the game is awesome at time with minimum stoppages. :BRMM:

+ Goal Keepers

I've seen some amazing saves in the demo and some realistic gafs too. I've seen double saves, shot stopping and finger-tip saves. The animations look stellar too.

Time for the negatives.

- Goal Keepers

You know it. I know it. One vs One. Your keeper steams out like a c*nt and flaps at air as the striker chips hi,. Needs to be gone from the final version. It can be better if you double tap Y/TRIANGLE but I shouldn't have to do that and I normally can't even see the GK on screen as I'm doing that.

Should be fixed in the final version.

- Headers

More oomph™ and consistency please.

Doubtful to be fixed in the final version.

- Presentation

From kits to pitch intros to celebrations to player faces to player models, Konami has EA beat this year. Hands down. This could be the difference in the mystical "soul" that PES fance preach of.

I'd also like to see individual animations for skilled dribble, running, heading, dribbling, off the ball and shooting(short and long range) for the top players for Fifa11. It would add a much needed personality to the title.

Not that it's not on it's way there already though. Controlling Ibrahimovic and Xavi for instance is notably different. One is lumbering and tricky while the other is nimble and tricky. All we need is a visual aid to accompany that feeling now.

EA are nearly there. If they listen to the fans they could deliver in 11. But for now, this looks like it'll be a great game

oomph™ is a registered trademark of Chris Davies. :)

Very good summary and nicely presented :APPLAUD:

Edit: Sorry, don't know how to do that spoiler thing

Nice review gameklip :), pretty much the same as how i'd sum the demo up, only thing i'd add to it is annoying opposition AI (world class).

I LOVE skilled dribbling :D :BOP:

Chris was right when he said about it after the Emirates visit, the feeling you get when beating a player with it is great!

I REALLY can't wait for the full game :)
Yeah me too, sometimes I find (or past tense, found, as I can't play it at the moment) myself using it too much or using it in the wrong way in my bid to master it :P.
Looks and feels great when you pull off a decent move which fools a defender with it and there's so much you can do with it too...

Very good summary and nicely presented :APPLAUD:

Edit: Sorry, don't know how to do that spoiler thing
PHP:
[spoiler]TEXT[/spoiler]

:)

Cheers! Been looking around for a video of that for ages :D.

Great goal, I love the way the keeper stood still and it just flew right into the top corner, looked even better from inside the stadium :).

I'd love to be able to strike the ball like that in FIFA...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not seen anyone score after stepping over the ball with R1/RB for the assist. Anyone even trying this yet? I've set up some awesome chances by letting a fast diagonal pass go through my legs but I've always been thwarted by the keeper! Might have to go on Professional difficulty just to break my duck.

Not seen anyone score after stepping over the ball with R1/RB for the assist. Anyone even trying this yet? I've set up some awesome chances by letting a fast diagonal pass go through my legs but I've always been thwarted by the keeper! Might have to go on Professional difficulty just to break my duck.

As a matter of fact I did it for 2 consecutive players.It was a giant break and Camoranesi had the ball on the wing was running towards the box and strangelly Del Piero and Amauri were in the same axis for the pass and so I strongly pressed the pass button and the R2 feint thingy and I hold it to have both players let the ball through their legs.I did it on purpose as I knew Diego was coming the box by the other side and he smashed the ball with a powerful shot ,it hit the post and into the back of the cage/net

I actually played some games as fully manual last night, playing on Pro, and found I had some good matches :)

Passing is kinda hard at times when the play is congested and you're trying to pass through a tiny gap, and shooting is pretty annoying (although more due to my crapness than the game) but I think I could adjust to it.

I think I scored 2/3 goals, none of them long range, all from getting 1-on-1 and toe-poking it passed the goalie :LOL:

I'll definately give fully manual more time as it was good fun.

Only problem is I found I had 65%+ possesion and the CPU had no chances so the game was far too balanced towards me as it was too easy on Pro, but the manual controls meant I couldn't put teams away to match the stats I had.

On the other hand, World Class would kick my ass completely if I tried fully manual on that, so I'm stuck in a way. Would be nice to have a level between Pro and World Class I guess :)

Goal 20 definitely had shades of Gascoigne against Arsenal in 1991 about it. Just the run up was different. Cracking goal.
ta very much, i put 21 up to show anelka running into space, 22 just for the finesse finish (which i found extremely hard on manual shooting on 09) and 23 to show drogba's strength. i think they've got drogba spot on.

On the other hand, World Class would kick my ass completely if I tried fully manual on that, so I'm stuck in a way. Would be nice to have a level between Pro and World Class I guess :)

Just ease into it instead of going fully manual, short pass, long pass, thru balls manual, crosses + shooting semi, for example :)

Just ease into it instead of going fully manual, short pass, long pass, thru balls manual, crosses + shooting semi, for example :)

I've always played with semi passing and shooting. Long passes, through balls and crosses on manual anyway :)

I actually played some games as fully manual last night, playing on Pro, and found I had some good matches :)

Passing is kinda hard at times when the play is congested and you're trying to pass through a tiny gap, and shooting is pretty annoying (although more due to my crapness than the game) but I think I could adjust to it.

I think I scored 2/3 goals, none of them long range, all from getting 1-on-1 and toe-poking it passed the goalie :LOL:

I'll definately give fully manual more time as it was good fun.

Only problem is I found I had 65%+ possesion and the CPU had no chances so the game was far too balanced towards me as it was too easy on Pro, but the manual controls meant I couldn't put teams away to match the stats I had.

That is the great thing about manual in my opinion. Scorelines are more realistic, you can have all of the possession, but you have to finish your chances as there will only be a few in the game.

Very Rarely have I smashed a team playing on manual and if I have, I played REALLY well.

I think the most I have beaten a team on manual is 4-1 and it just felt right. Most other games the maximum I win by is 2 goals, which I think is true to life.

And when you score a screamer on manual, it takes a while until the next one, like in real life. So you appreciate them more when they happen.

I just like fully manual, as you can see :))

I know what you mean, Bobby.

I REALLY noticed the difference between playing the big teams and Fire last night, where Fire were really on the back foot and barely got out of their half. Compare that to me playing against Chelsea for example and they came forward a lot more.

Only problem really was that whichever team I played, I always had a lot more possesion and usually limited them to no chances during a match which wasn't great.

I know what you mean, Bobby.

I REALLY noticed the difference between playing the big teams and Fire last night, where Fire were really on the back foot and barely got out of their half. Compare that to me playing against Chelsea for example and they came forward a lot more.

Only problem really was that whichever team I played, I always had a lot more possesion and usually limited them to no chances during a match which wasn't great.

Stop showing off :PP

Yeah sounds like you need to step up a gear, but it is hard to do on manual.

I have been playing on Pro with the demo, just to get used to fully manual. I too used to play semi shooting and passing and the rest manual. But I really want to start playing with all manual and get really good at it.

But I am not finding it as easy as you on Pro, you must have the skills dagsy ;))

Back
Top Bottom