FIFA 10 360/PS3 Demo Feedback + Videos

To me the balls in PES feels way to heavy. Modern days footballs is very light and you don't get that "oomph"-feeling people is talking about (unless it's a crappy ball filled soaked with water). As a matter of fact, if you hit the ball perfectly you won't get any feeling (other than "this is going in", obviously). I wouldn't mind if they put a ball from the 80s in the game but it shouldn't be default IMO.

I agree. I think the ball is still a bit light but it's a lot closer to reality than the PES ball, which seems rooted to the physics of the 70's.

I do think those perfectly hit rockets should be a bit less frequent, but things like the curved long pass are unmatched for realism.

I've read the different translations and they're accurate.

Cheers.. some of it worrying, some of it good.

The Goalkeepers appear in the video to be broken still, yet in the review they say its fixed. They say the game is slower too..

I have to say, although I do like the ball movement and weight distribution in PES, it does feel like a heavier ball. Modern day footballs simply aren't like that any more. They are getting lighter, quicker and more floaty if struck incorrectly. I do like the physics in PES and can understand why a lot of folk are saying it's better for shooting, but if we're talking realism, then it's certainly too weighted, IMO.

I took this from the thread on the "final build" :

The guy said that he played the demo a lot and that the final build is very different from the demo.

Summary

-the default speed (normal) feels much slower than in the demo.

-the cpu is way stronger than in the demo

-the goalkeepers still moves forward but it requires a perfect
execution to score. Basically, the lob bug is fixed.

Plus the lateral movement is missing from PES; it always has been. It's one of the things that impressed me most as a convert; that outside of the foot pass they added in FIFA 09 was exquisite.

I have to say, although I do like the ball movement and weight distribution in PES, it does feel like a heavier ball. Modern day footballs simply aren't like that any more. They are getting lighter, quicker and more floaty if struck incorrectly. I do like the physics in PES and can understand why a lot of folk are saying it's better for shooting, but if we're talking realism, then it's certainly too weighted, IMO.

I have commented on the weight of the ball but I meant in the way it travels in shots and rebounds for that matter, there is dip and curl in there too but it seems to travel better in flight in PES than FIFA.
Even hard struck shots in FIFA seem to have a floaty up and down action, where as in PES they can dip but seem to travel level and straight as a hard struck ball would. It's not the weight of the ball per say as the dynamics of the ball...

That's certainly true regarding the dip on the ball, as PES seems to have perfected this for certain shots and situations. I just can't help but feel the ball feels too heavy and "1920's", though. I'm perhaps being overly harsh, and to be fair I haven't played the demo for a few days now and I've got this mindset stuck. Will have another blast, later.

I think it's a bit too heavy in PES but not by a long way - I think PES has the weight closer than FIFA does. I don't play professionally but I kick a ball often enough and the feeling of weight I get when taking a shot in PES is pretty similar, more similar than it is in FIFA.

But it's weird, the feeling I get in PES when kicking the ball in other ways - passing for example - doesn't feel right, it's like the pitch is soaked through. That's when the ball feels too heavy for me, it's only really the shooting that I enjoy about the game.

I love the curl in FIFA, there's a lot of complaints about it but when I watch Match of the Day I see it curl all the time. I agree with Nick though about the dip in FIFA being a bit off on the shots, it's hard to hit a shot like an arrow.

(What a mixed bag of a post that was...)

Does anyone know if the crowd sound effects are improved since the demo build? When there's a goal there is a pause until the whistle is blown and then the crowd cheer and it sounds fucking awful! Makes me cringe everytime I hear it and completely spoils the impact and excitement of a goal, not to mention being completely unrealistic.

Chris, I don't think it's too presumptuous to say the ball you kick around is most likely available in most shops for a tenner or so. A top competition football is a serious piece of technology using as few panels and as lightweight technology as possible. Furthermore, it's being twatted about by serious athletes. I don't think real world experience is as useful as watching football matches here.

I do think PES's hefty ball can feel more satisfying when you really hoof it, but I don't think it's especially realistic. FIFA gets some things bang on but there is a floatiness to some shots that does then make the much better flights seem floaty as well. As you say though, it's only shooting that PES really feels good at - the movement of the ball aerodynamically is non existant and anything like dribbling, passing along the floor etc feels extremely primitive and overly heavy.

You're right romagnoli, the balls I play with will be the replica ones, not the hugely expensive matchday ones. And of course athletes will be able to get a lot more power behind the ball than I will.

Watching Match of the Day and then watching FIFA 10 straight afterwards, I see a lot of similarities. I think it's an excellent game of football, I just hope the AI is tweaked a bit (and I'm sure there will be a patch or two at some point).

Jumbo, was that delay not in FIFA 09? I remember Noted going mental about it for weeks but I stopped noticing it after a few days.

Have EA done everything in their power to make goals you score as least satisfying as possible?

You score, the ref blows the whistle (shouldn't do), you get a sound when the ball hits the net (shouldn't happen), then the nets look crap (I don't care that much though tbh), then the crowd reacts late and then you have to control a stupid celebration and then watch a pointless repetitive cutscene!!!
Oh and then the replay afterwards cuts out most of the build-up play.

:RANT:

Last edited by a moderator:
iM really surprised that someone at ea didnt work on the cutscenes at celebrations this time. after so much work in other areas.

it wouldnt be half as bad if the cutscene had some relevence as to where the player scored and is celebrating..

They may as well have a FMV of a random player celebrating

LOL, I don't think FIFA will ever get it right. I still don't understand what people are saying about scoring with "soul", but I'm plenty satisfied when I've scored from some good build-up play. It's true for either game too, because both feel kind of dead when you score. At the end of the day, playing with friends is the best way to enjoy either game.

iM really surprised that someone at ea didnt work on the cutscenes at celebrations this time. after so much work in other areas.

it wouldnt be half as bad if the cutscene had some relevence as to where the player scored and is celebrating..

They may as well have a FMV of a random player celebrating

isn't that exactly how celebrations work for FIFA? it's a different goal scorer for the same cutscene every time.

Does anyone know if the crowd sound effects are improved since the demo build? When there's a goal there is a pause until the whistle is blown and then the crowd cheer and it sounds fucking awful! Makes me cringe everytime I hear it and completely spoils the impact and excitement of a goal, not to mention being completely unrealistic.

God I hope not, it was terrible in 08, seemed fine in 09.

I sure I mentioned for 09 an audoi improvement to have the crowdnoise grow during a shot. It's still to static, you could have that annoying bird from Highbury scream at every shot :D. Anyway, They need to add some sound effects, or increase if they are already there, for shots mid trajectory, would make shooting have far more SOUL! :D And then if it hits the net the crowd goes wild, or still if away, or you get groans when missed.

Good to hear the goalie bug has been fixed, must have been ridiculous for the older build for the guys at the emirats (thx for the anwser Wildster). And slowing the game down should make the first touch, intermediate controls of the players feel better and less clunky aswell.

SPMC: ahaha nice one man. :D The yellow card vid shows so much detail. I can't wait to control my spurs!

My vids got to 11th viewed the week on youtube cause of all the debate between the PES anf FIFA fans. Amazing :LOL:

Wilkmyster: some nice flicks and tricks there. Nice bridge move.

Never understood the argument about the ball sound. I think the ball sound should be louder, maybe not as much as PES, but certainly louder than what it is.

At the moment it doesn't feel as good as kicking a ball in PES, to me anyway. And people that argue that when your watching a game on TV you don't hear the ball, well what is the game supposed to be replicating? Do the programmers set out to exactly copy a game of footy off the TV, or to make a realistic, playable, fun game of football, that your involved in? I would say a bit of both, so you need exaggerated sound to give it some feeling.

That's why I personally always get more satisfaction from scoring in PES, but its an easy fix, in fact, why don't they give you the option to increase just the ball sound to keep everyone happy(current sound settings don't do enough).

The only way you can add weight is with sound, without it, it feels like your kicking a balloon.

Back
Top Bottom