FIFA 09 Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 09 Discussion Thread

i agree. EA, to date, has not impressed me at all.

all of their games have so far been rubbish, but this may be their year, finally.

That's some bullshit. If all of their games were rubbish, you might as well stay away from Fifa 09.

I know it may be a bit early to know if this is possible, or someone will tell me you could do it in 08, and if so im sorry, but does anyone know....

if its possible over live instead of playing against a m8, you can play with a m8 against either someone else or another 2 people?

i know you can do it if your in the same room, but.. can we team up on line and go on the same team? and i know we can go on the same be a pro team, but i mean just 2 of us on the same team. any info would be much appreciated, and i know this is the fifa forum, but instead of posting all this again in the pes forum, if anyone knows whether its possible in pes 09 that would be great.

Watching that last FIFA09 vid upsets me for one reason. Those guys playing the game are shockingly awful! They are terrible.

Yeah they are, they kept running straight and into the other players... -.-'

Dont think its been posted yet

947077_20080805_screen001.jpg

Screenshot not really exciting but just come up on my rss reader.

wow, the player models have really been revamped for fifa 09....boots look great aswell

There's something odd about it, the ball looks fake to me, too "perfect". But perhaps I'm too cynical.

man there's something i notice, when watching those vids, they really should implement: curved through passes by giving the analogue stick a spin.

for example take a look at 1.25 of the second vid its then a great oppertunity to make a through ball but then let it curl so it get's to the other player in time befor that the keeper can get it. and i remember that i always wanted to do that in fifa 08 so i always geve the stick a rotation in the way i would want it to curl but it didn't work of course (i think)

sorry for my english

Yeah they will. It's not confirmed that they're under player control though. My interpretation is that they're not.

Yeah they will. It's not confirmed that they're under player control though. My interpretation is that they're not.

They shouldn't be player controlled.. since when can a player telepathically control the curve of a ball after it's left his foot. that's just silly.

I think so if its perfect that is good!
Sorry, I haven't explained myself very well there. :DOH:

When I said "too perfect" I meant it looks fake - not saying that it is, but as airjoca pointed out, there's no 3D grass, and something about the ball is too perfect to me. Perhaps it's a genuine shot that's been photoshopped (possibly by EA, wouldn't be the first time, in-fact I remember them being caught out doing that to a FIFA 08 shot when they accidentally distance-blurred a player's legs when the rest of him was in focus, or something along those lines).

But seeing 3,094 fake PES pictures over the years has turned me into a cynic. ;)

there's no 3D grass

Sadly it disappears from time to time.

PES2008 had one thing that was alot better than FIFA08: The 3D grass. The draw distance was much too limited on both games, but if you had the camera close to the ground on PES, then you'd see quite beautiful and thick 3d grass.

Like so:
pic2.jpg

FIFA08 just had little patches of strands here and there when close up to the field. And in most pictures you can't see any depth:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_vffBWzB_25Y...QFfrs4/s1600-h/FIFA+09+Screenshot+Benzema.jpg

That picture would look even more impressive with Grass like the PES2009 pic, where the shoes and ball sink in and the grass stands up around them. Actually, remove the grass from the Ronaldo pic and replace it with a flat plastic carpet a la PES PS2, and the pic would look extremely boring. The grass alone sells it as being far more realistic. Now if they could just figure out a way to render it all over the field all the time and have it be low on resources. I don't like the grass becoming completely flat just a few meters from the camera.

Last edited:

we already know that the 360/ps3 versions of fifa 09 will have 3d grass!
a game showing grass does not sell it as being far more realistic or I can say wow look at the ball in fifa 09 it even has the official MLS logo now tht is realistic... official boots and official socks I can quite easily say look at Ronaldo's boots he aint wearing his Nike mercurials so its rubbish... pathetic conclusion in both circumstances

why do people come to those conclusions...

About the graphics, all I care about really is what it look like from the distance you play the game from - and for me that is tele cam on FIFA. From there, all that really matters is the players skin colour, their body shape, the grass being the right shade of green etc.
It doesn't matter to me if the player faces aren't perfect, the players don't have the exact boots they have in real life, if the ball has an incorrect logo on it, or if the kits have the EA logo on as I usually skip cutscenes and most replays anyway.

The Brazil-Spain video shows a tad too arcadish gameplay.

Now, my reasons properly explained:

- To me, reaction and action times are too quick. Reaction and Action times are different than control responsiveness. One thing is the time it takes to accomplish something and the other is the game receiving your orders and doing something from them. And what I was lacking in Euro and Fifa, most of all, was control responsiveness. And the chance to blend different animations or movements depending of my orders (procedural animation and stuff like that) but mantaining the overall slow pace.

- And yes, action times themselves could be a little tweaked. I don't know if it's the gigantic screen, or maybe they're playing the game on "Fast" setting and also the players are terrible at the game, but anyway I found it just too fast, too arcadish and left a feeling of ping-pong as someone said, due to the fast actions and reactions of the players.

- I find the trapping too precise most of the time. Tackling too precise again. Almost every tackle is a possessions turnover.

So, these are the impressions of this video. As the previous videos seemed a little more slow paced, I guess they're playing "Fast", and they are playing it badly. Indeed.

So, by now I'm still excited with the game, let's hope the next videos show the gameplay in better quality and with good players trying to build up play. I wouldn't like Fifa to go down the road of PES, simply running with key players.

It's really interesting how this video really seems a next-gen PES5. I was thinking about it while writing this and I thought: maybe EA is making the "coup de grace" to Konami. They're doing a game that tops Fifa 08 and Euro with lots of improvements that will please they're last year's user base. And they add the speed options so they can have one of the speeds turning the game into a more arcade experience, that would perfectly suite some PES hardcores and people who wants a easier approach to the game. But if you like it really hard and more "realistic", you can always play SLOW and FULL MANUAL. Actually it's great and simple, and they let you customize the gameplay, broading the potential users.

Are they really that clever? If they pull of this well, they may win a lot of market share, I think.

Watching that last FIFA09 vid upsets me for one reason. Those guys playing the game are shockingly awful! They are terrible.

yes it's simply incredible that in just about every gameplay video over the years that the players are simply rubbish.
i have to believe the fact that they're playing in front of a lot of people and are very aware of it might have something to do with it - adrenaline and testosterone take over and instead of playing tactically smart, focusing on keeping possession and building up play (slowly if necessary), they just constantly sprint forward even if there's no space, rarely if ever use a back pass, hold on to the ball way too long, dribble straight into defenders, and pass and shoot from godawful angles and positions.
shocking really :eek: and a pity that it doesn't give us a more accurate portrayal of what the game is really capable of.

Last edited:

I was now mentally thinking "really this last video should be taken with a pinch of salt". And thinking it in english. Well, if it's gramatically correct, then it's even better because I thought that these forums have been my best English teachers!

And to make this post on topic I have to add something.

Oh, I liked the ball physics!

looks nice,but the keeper response still stupid when they only dive after the ball has past the goal post ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom